The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Canuck Corner  (Read 291554 times)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: The Canuck Corner
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 03:33:03 PM »

Olga, I am half Italian from my mothers side of the family, and I have a little French blood in me from my fathers side...

oh and I was married to someone who is half Spanish if that counts for anything  :)

DD, what does this abundant info about your genealogy have to do with you avatar, and with the "Engaged" status under it?  ::)

BTW, I'm sure Don Julio would surely appreciate if we could return to the topic of Canadian culture...  :saint:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Paul

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »

Olga, I am half Italian from my mothers side of the family, and I have a little French blood in me from my fathers side...

oh and I was married to someone who is half Spanish if that counts for anything  :)

DD, what does this abundant info about your genealogy have to do with you avatar, and with the "Engaged" status under it?  ::)

Just putting the info out there  :)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »
the topic of Canadian culture...  :saint:

I thought it was all Elks, snow, vast spaces and half of them mumbling in French?  :chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »
the topic of Canadian culture...  :saint:

I thought it was all Elks, snow, vast spaces and half of them mumbling in French?  :chuckle:

Mumbling in French? Esti Tabarnac, you must mean our former PM, the Rt Hon. Jean Chretien, coliss. ;D

Canadian culture...The Group Of Seven is a good start.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0003476
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Paul

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »
Doesnt she live in Switzerland now I recall reading?

Yep.  With her music producer husband "Mutt" Lang. At least I think they're still married...Canadian things, lets see...OK, It was a Canadian who invented the game of Basketball, the Electron Microscope, IMAX projection system, Insulin (Thats kinda an important one, IMO), snowblower and snowmobile (who didn't see that coming ::) ) and acrylic polymer.  :)

And apple pie.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »

They were initially drawn together by a common sense of frustration with the conservative and imitative quality of most Canadian art.

I somehow see a strong impressionist influence in most of the works, illustrating the article in question...  ::)

Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »
F the french Olga it belongs in France or in Quebec.   Most Canucks west of  Ontario have little use for the little whiners,and see them as a pain in the ass ruining our country.  But please don't get me started on politics  :laugh:

Better not. I happen to be a French speaker born West of Ontario.  Remember, the one thing that unites the rest of Canada is our dislike of Ontario/Toronto  >:( :happy0023:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »
They were initially drawn together by a common sense of frustration with the conservative and imitative quality of most Canadian art.

I somehow see a strong impressionist influence in most of the works, illustrating the article in question...  ::)

You may be correct in this observation. :)  I have three Lismer charcoal sketches (one of myself as a young child, one of a dog and one of the ocean at Long Beach, Tofino, B.C., where all three were drawn) hanging on my livingroom wall and all three are somewhat impressionistic.  However, the landscapes themselves (the artists painted) are uniquely Canadian. ;)

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
And apple pie.

...With maple syrup icecream. ;)

Brass

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
K.D.Lang is great and she is Canadian. And if I'm not mistaken Circus de Soleil originated in Canada as well. Nice to know that heaps of Russian artist performing with them as well.

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »
K.D.Lang is great and she is Canadian. And if I'm not mistaken Circus de Soleil originated in Canada as well. Nice to know that heaps of Russian artist performing with them as well.

You are not mistaken, the Cirque du Soleil started in Québec in 1984.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »

I somehow see a strong impressionist influence in most of the works, illustrating the article in question...  ::)

One of the leading modern painters from Canada was Jean-Paul Riopelle. His work is featured in some of the world's leading galleries. The Hermitage even featured an retrospective exhibition of his life's work a couple years ago: http://www.museum.ru/N27260.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »

Olga, I am half Italian from my mothers side of the family, and I have a little French blood in me from my fathers side... oh and I was married to someone who is half Spanish if that counts for anything  :)

Working on a plan B  Paul ?   :chuckle:

Rasputin
I know many here in the centre of the country that speak French. After all Manitoba has the largest french speakers outside of Quebec.  We here even have Louis Riel who tried to over throw the government back in the 1800's, but the British tried him and than hung him by the neck.
 But our premier decided he wanted to make the Metis  ::) ( trying to decide whats worse) happy so he made a provincial holiday named after Riel.  Most Manitobians think the name of the holiday is stupid,and family day is what most want it called. I just call it treason day ;D

Don't think I totally hate Quebec, I did lust after Mitsou and Jose Charnard. I have even tuned into Mitsou's TV show to have a glance at her.
 Maybe you don't realise how Quebec is isolating itself from Canada, with french only language signs,and they have very little concern what is happening outside of Quebec. They don't even travel within Canada !

I'm going to the centre of the universe on Thursday, I'll let Wesley know you say hello ! :laugh:
 My favorite news man , Lloyd Roberson or as I like to call him  Floyd ( something from SCTV's comedy days)  was telling the nation that Toronto  was central Canada ???  Last time I drove to the cottage I passed a highway sign telling me Landmark Manitoba was the centre of Canada, but tell them eh ? But whats  2500 KM's between geographic points ! :laugh:

I'd  like to get off ranting on Quebec, they piss me off enough without  my posts  mentioning them.

Offline Paul

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Donhollio
Maybe you don't realise how Quebec is isolating itself from Canada, with french only language signs,and they have very little concern what is happening outside of Quebec. They don't even travel within Canada !

No they don't travel within Canada, they come down here and  :censored: up our thruway instead... God forbid you get behind one of them at one our fast food restaurants >:(

I love Canada  :) ... Western Canada  :-*

Working on a plan B  Paul ?    :chuckle:

With Olga? That would be a plan ;) ;D

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »
You would have to buy a house in Spain and start lisping first.  :P
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:37 PM »
 Ohh right you did say your misunderstood ;)
 Yeah the travelling Quebecer, I'm glad that they go south , I hear they just lov'em in Florida :fighting0004:  Do they demand to be served in French ?

I was in Cuba once and the low life were pissing on the grounds,and even turned the Candian flag sticker that was on a tip jar upside down  >:(
 I was ready to explode !  And to this day I still regret not confonting the losers on it, as my uncle banished me to the far side of the resort. He went to get the drinks from there on ;D

Headlines back home were lost that day ! :laugh:

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »

What does it make me? Plan F?

Offline Paul

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 12:35:34 AM »

What does it make me? Plan F?

No way! The French have a phrase for what I'm thinking  ;D I'm only kidding!!!  :-\ I love ya Zosya  :-* :bow: and I'm glad I would never have to choose between you Hellen and Olga  :)

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »
No way! The French have a phrase for what I'm thinking  ;D I'm only kidding!!!  :-\ I love ya Zosya  :-* :bow: and I'm glad I would never have to choose between you Hellen and Olga  :)

Ahhhh.. shucks!  :sick0012: I was about to tell my husband that I am leaving him for some hot NY-ker

Offline Paul

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »

Ahhhh.. shucks!  :sick0012: I was about to tell my husband that I am leaving him for some hot NY-ker

It's never too late!  :) Zosya just became plan A+  :)

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2008, 01:04:19 AM »
It's never too late!  :) Zosya just became plan A+  :)

what do French have to say about that?  ;D

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »
Ohh right you did say your misunderstood ;)
 Yeah the travelling Quebecer, I'm glad that they go south , I hear they just lov'em in Florida :fighting0004:  Do they demand to be served in French ?

I was in Cuba once and the low life were pissing on the grounds,and even turned the Candian flag sticker that was on a tip jar upside down  >:(
 I was ready to explode !  And to this day I still regret not confonting the losers on it, as my uncle banished me to the far side of the resort. He went to get the drinks from there on ;D

Headlines back home were lost that day ! :laugh:

Well, and I have to put up with idiots whining about French on boxes of Corn Flakes and how THEIR taxes are going to pay for bilingualism. To hear them speak, you would think they are the only ones who pay taxes.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
Well, and I have to put up with idiots whining about French on boxes of Corn Flakes and how THEIR taxes are going to pay for bilingualism. To hear them speak, you would think they are the only ones who pay taxes.

The rub being, while we (as Canadians) are paying federal taxes to ensure bilingualism outside the province (Quebec), the province is spending tax money (federal transfer payments and provincial tax base) to ensure bilingualism (English) is eradicated inside the province... Go figure. ;)

Brass

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2008, 10:36:41 AM »

The rub being, while we (as Canadians) are paying federal taxes to ensure bilingualism outside the province (Quebec), the province is spending tax money (federal transfer payments and provincial tax base) to ensure bilingualism (English) is eradicated inside the province... Go figure. ;)

Brass

BULLSH*T! The English have a complete education system from kidergarten to PhD. They have their own hospitals. They have federal services in their language and provincial services in their language. You can still live your entire life in English in Quebec.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
BULLSH*T! The English have a complete education system from kidergarten to PhD. They have their own hospitals. They have federal services in their language and provincial services in their language. You can still live your entire life in English in Quebec.

Well...Rasputin, lets start with Loi 101 (Bill 101) recognizing French as the only official language in Quebec where in the rest of Canada both languages are considered the offical languages.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2000/11/30/companies001130.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/02/14/qc-olf-0214.html

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pc-ch/pubs/diversity2003/theriault_e.cfm

I could live the rest of my life in Eastern Europe and still get by with just English but I'm not paying taxes in Europe nor if I open a bar will I be told to tear down English signs.
There are English language schools but they're considered Private Schools and subject to restricted funding from the Province.
"They have their own hospitals." ???  What the hell does that mean?

Brass
Edited: 'their' changed to read 'they're'.

Registration