The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Canuck Corner  (Read 291552 times)

Offline Donhollio

The Canuck Corner
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »
 I was thinking last night that there seems to be enough of us on this forum,and were spread out from coast to coast to coast, over about 4 timezones. I'm not aware of any Newfie's on here, but stranger things have happened !

So I thought having a room to chat and rant about all things Canadian, would rid us of some stress and enlighten people from around the world . Not much from what I have come to experience, is known about us, and most of what I have heard is wrong.
 I think to most many think were just like American's,were not. We do have our own culture and way of life. But we will be happy to answer any questions others may have.

So who wants to start ?

Offline Paul

Re: The Canuck Corner
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
I think to most many think were just like American's,were not. We do have our own culture and way of life. But we will be happy to answer any questions others may have.

So who wants to start ?

Why do so many of you live on our border? When does the invasion begin?

edited to add: Who the  :censored: teaches people from Ontario how to drive?

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »

We do have our own culture and way of life.

But we will be happy to answer any questions others may have.

OK... Then the first question is about culture.

Have you done anything remarkable in music, except Garou and Celine Dion?  :innocent:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »

Have you done anything remarkable in music, except Garou and Celine Dion?  :innocent:

Alanis Morissette is a Canuck  :)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Why do I have the feeling that this is not going to go exactly the way Donhollio anticipated  ;D
Слава Україні

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »

Alanis Morissette is a Canuck  :)

Aha... who got US passport as well in 2005...

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2005/02/17/morissetteUScitizen050217.html

So? Do Russians stop being Russian the moment they get their Canadian or American passport?  ;)
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »

Have you done anything remarkable in music, except Garou and Celine Dion?  :innocent:

Where do we start. Just off the top of my head (and not necessarily saying that I like them but recognizing that they had an impact): Bryan Adams, Shania Twain, and Robert Goulet.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »

Where do we start. Just off the top of my head (and not necessarily saying that I like them but recognizing that they had an impact): Bryan Adams,

Yep! How could I forget...

Shania Twain,

Indeed? I always thought she's American  :innocent:

and Robert Goulet.

Never heard of...  ::)

Offline Paul

GREGK

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
Elvis used to shoot television sets if Robert Goulet was performing on TV. Now I know why. Please don't do that again DD!

Offline Paul

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
Elvis used to shoot television sets if Robert Goulet was performing on TV. Now I know why. Please don't do that again DD!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry GREGK

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

Where do we start. Just off the top of my head (and not necessarily saying that I like them but recognizing that they had an impact): Bryan Adams,

Yep! How could I forget...

Shania Twain,

Indeed? I always thought she's American  :innocent:

and Robert Goulet.

Never heard of...  ::)

Shania is from northern Ontario.

As for Bryan Adam, he even has a cameo role in a Russian movie that was made a few years ago.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Manny

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »
Doesnt she live in Switzerland now I recall reading?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »
Why do I have the feeling that this is not going to go exactly the way Donhollio anticipated  ;D

:laugh:  So far Chris your spot on !

Alright DD drivers in Ontario and I assume you are talking about southern Ont. Or more better known to other Canadians living not in the southern tip as the
 "Centre of the Universe."  maybe Wes would like to comment ? :innocent:
 Well too many know very little outside of their little world hence the name. Shania was born and raised in Timmin's Ont.  It's about 400kms ( I think ) north of Toronto. It's out in the wilds according to southerners ::)  She did move to Switzerland, but I read somewhere she and her hubby are moving to New Zealand.

Olga music is very subjective, ones masterpiece is another's noise. Much like Cilly Dion, but shes a Quebecer  and 
" My Canada doesn't include Quebec "  :antagonize:
 So for any CDN musician you have heard of has most likely made it in the USA and from there they get their international exposure.
 Averil, Alanis & Sara Maglockin ??spelling, and other girls have all gone big in the USA. There are others of course but I can't remember their names.
 The same can be said for actors, many are Canucks but it's always assumed they are from the USA.

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
Doesnt she live in Switzerland now I recall reading?

Yep.  With her music producer husband "Mutt" Lang. At least I think they're still married...Canadian things, lets see...OK, It was a Canadian who invented the game of Basketball, the Electron Microscope, IMAX projection system, Insulin (Thats kinda an important one, IMO), snowblower and snowmobile (who didn't see that coming ::) ) and acrylic polymer.  :)

Quote from: Chris
Why do I have the feeling that this is not going to go exactly the way Donhollio anticipated.

No doubt.;D  Don(hollio) and I were messaging back and forth about how for 20 some odd years Canadians were having to pay higher sticker prices because of the exchange rates on U.S. exported items such as cards and books.  Now that it looks like the Loonie is going to surge ahead of the Greenback, the U.S. companies have decided coincidently that maybe it's time to switch to Canadian currency for selling their wares. :-\  :chuckle:

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

Shania was born and raised in Timmin's Ont.  It's about 400kms ( I think ) north of Toronto.
It's out in the wilds according to southerners ::) 
She did move to Switzerland, but I read somewhere she and her hubby are moving to New Zealand.

Shania is great - I even thought about putting "OK, so you got a car? That doesn't impress me much!" as my forum signature... Then, after all those heated copyrights debates, had to change my mind  :innocent:

Olga, music is very subjective, ones masterpiece is another's noise.

Completely agree... What did you say about music in your car?  :innocent:

Much like Cilly Dion, but shes a Quebecer and  " My Canada doesn't include Quebec "  :antagonize:

Mais pourquoi?  :innocent:  ???

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 03:03:49 PM »
F the french Olga it belongs in France or in Quebec.   Most Canucks west of  Ontario have little use for the little whiners,and see them as a pain in the ass ruining our country.  But please don't get me started on politics  :laugh:
 I was forced to take french in school and had to do so for 5 years  :(  I sat there and let the time pass, and what have I learned today ?  F'all  :party0031:  and proud of it ! 

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »
OK, so you got a car? That doesn't impress me much!"

I got eight, is that better?  ;D

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Paul

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 03:06:51 PM »
" My Canada doesn't include Quebec "  :antagonize:

We will trade you Quebec for New Jersey  :)

What made you guys think you could win The War of 1812 (your war of aggression against us)?  ;D

There is a lot of cool history in my area related to that war.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »

F*** the french, Olga!

If you hoped to suggest me something I haven't tried yet, I'm afraid I must dissappoint you  ::)  :innocent:

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
We will trade you Quebec for New Jersey  :)

New Jersey!?!  Boo/Hiss.  We'll take Florida.  Half the Canadian population aged 65 and over are living there, anyhow. :chuckle:

Brass

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Paul

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »

F*** the french, Olga!

If you hoped to suggest me something I haven't tried yet, I'm afraid I must dissappoint you  ::)  :innocent:

I believe TomT is of French decent  :)

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »

F*** the french, Olga!

LOL! :laugh:

Brass

Offline Paul

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:51 PM »

F*** the french, Olga!

Olga, I am half Italian from my mothers side of the family, and I have a little French blood in me from my fathers side... oh and I was married to someone who is half Spanish if that counts for anything  :)