The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The K1 Journey  (Read 122986 times)

Offline Turboguy

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The K1 Journey
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »
My understanding of how that 10 year responsibility works is that the applicant is responsible for any costs to the government for that 10 year period.  They can be ordered to reimburse the government for any claims for welfare, unemployment, Social Security disability and the like.   They don't care if she doesn't have money for food or shelter, just so the government isn't on the hook for anything.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
This is another older Travel Report that discusses the K-1 process in some detail. Again it is older some things have changed.

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=182.0

Av
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
9 months.....good God......not good. I wish this was like Mexico or South America and you could grease the wheels by throwing some money at the right people.  Seems like I read something once about signing that you will be  financially responsible for the person. I guess that is part of a K1

There is another way to consider this. 7-9 months means the applications they are processing that particular day was received 7-9 months ago.

Several years ago when I sent an application it was 8-9 months. A few guys from the forum submitted after I did but had the same notice of 8-9 months. A couple of them were completed in 4 months. Mine wasn't but that was another story. My point is, you really can't believe nor count on what they post there and they don't update that page daily or maybe even monthly. Your best resource to follow it is visajourney and see actual dates

Offline blast

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »
Question:  Can anyone confirm the USCIS has added a new rule to the K-1 process- you are only allowed 2 lifetime K-1 applications per US citizen?  Seems I did hear this was added because of abuse?   

If your future bride can obtain a US tourist visa, it is possible to petition for a "Change of Status" to I-130 Spouse of US citizen (as we did).  This process has advantages, but should be coached by an Immigration Attorney to avoid accusation of fraud.

Offline TomT

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
One can apply for a waiver for more than two K1 Visas.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:03 AM »

K-2 Визы для детей Жениха/ Невесты
Все не достигшие 21-года и не состоящие в браке дети заявителя, обращающегося на визу жениха/невесты, должны быть указаны в петиции I-129F.

If they become 21 year old after I-129F sent?
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
 This thread will be an insight into the K1 process via my own K1 journey.

I filed for the K1 visa 2 months ago.  One week after filing my K1, the US Gov. changed the forms to the K1 Visa and although I got my forms in before the change, they sent my paper work back.... one month later. I spent one week redoing my paper work and sent it all back in.

Finally, today, one month from sending my updated paper work in, I received my official #. I am now officially on my way.

I previously filed for my past relationship, it went to Vermont... this time, I am in the hands of the Texas office.  USCIS has the K1 process listed as a 5 month process.....let's hope they are right, 5 months would be have me getting my future Mrs. into South Florida around late spring.... I can't wait.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
This thread will be an insight into the K1 process via my own K1 journey.

I filed for the K1 visa 2 months ago.  One week after filing my K1, the US Gov. changed the forms to the K1 Visa and although I got my forms in before the change, they sent my paper work back.... one month later. I spent one week redoing my paper work and sent it all back in.

Finally, today, one month from sending my updated paper work in, I received my official #. I am now officially on my way.

I previously filed for my past relationship, it went to Vermont... this time, I am in the hands of the Texas office.  USCIS has the K1 process listed as a 5 month process.....let's hope they are right, 5 months would be have me getting my future Mrs. into South Florida around late spring.... I can't wait.

Congrats and you are in much better hands now.  :thumbsup:

Maybe have this thread merged with:

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=345.0

TG did a nice writeup and it gets attention every once in a while.  This way it will get more deserving attention from both of you.  Just a thought.

Congrats again.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
  Here's a question for all of you know it all's......

As we know, one must make at least at or above 125% of the poverty line in order to be granted a K1. 

My question... what is this total taken from, salary before or after taxes ?  I can't find a solid answer on this one.

And as an update to my status.... the Gov. shutdown has indeed put the full stop on my visa process.

Offline Phelan

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »

As we know, one must make at least at or above 125% of the poverty line in order to be granted a K1. 

My question... what is this total taken from, salary before or after taxes ?  I can't find a solid answer on this one.

And as an update to my status.... the Gov. shutdown has indeed put the full stop on my visa process.

Bummer!!!  >:( 

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »

Line 22 of the 1040. It is the total you earned before taxes. Self employed is more complicated.

The k-1 income part is not a problem as you only need to show a year. It is after all, only a 90 day non-immigrant visa. This can create a problem for guys that do not look down the road to the AOS where you will need to show 3 years.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »

Line 22 of the 1040. It is the total you earned before taxes. Self employed is more complicated.

The k-1 income part is not a problem as you only need to show a year. It is after all, only a 90 day non-immigrant visa. This can create a problem for guys that do not look down the road to the AOS where you will need to show 3 years.

tiphat  Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.

As to the AOS, I am hoping my 3rd year doesn't hold too much weight. This was the final year I ran my business, which at the time was going under thanks to the economy.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
   I normally don't check my status with the Gov often, especially as my previous K1 filing took a very long time.  Last night I thought I would check in on my status to see if it jumped to the next stage and much to my amazement it didn't just move one step forward but my petition was approved !! Now it's on to the embassy interview for my Mrs. and her approval and visa !  :party0031:

I am utterly amazed, Gov shutdown included, this process took about 2 months and if Karma continues to work in our favor in another 2 months my Mrs. might be relaxing on the beach in Florida next to me. I don't say this often but, Thank You US Government !! tiphat :thumbsup:

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
Another couple here had theirs approved incredibly quickly as well.  Congratulations.

Offline TomT

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
   I normally don't check my status with the Gov often, especially as my previous K1 filing took a very long time.  Last night I thought I would check in on my status to see if it jumped to the next stage and much to my amazement it didn't just move one step forward but my petition was approved !! Now it's on to the embassy interview for my Mrs. and her approval and visa !

It goes from the USCIS office to the National Visa Center, then to the consulate for issuance. Unfortunately, the last two steps won't be expedited like the NOA2 was. It takes approximately a month to get from the service center, through the visa center, to the consulate but different consulates have different backlogs so I can't estimate how long they'll sit on it.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
No dates for interview in december already (seems too many want to celebrate Cristmas in a new place). Some "lucky" persons are checking for 15 months in NVC.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:31 PM »
No dates for interview in december already (seems too many want to celebrate Cristmas in a new place). Some "lucky" persons are checking for 15 months in NVC.

Where did you find the waiting time.  I browsed around the US/Moscow Embassy website and couldn't find much in terms of what to expect for getting an interview date/time.  I don't expect to get anything soon but just curious.

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »

Where did you find the waiting time.  I browsed around the US/Moscow Embassy website and couldn't find much in terms of what to expect for getting an interview date/time.  I don't expect to get anything soon but just curious.

I believe you are looking for this:
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ru

And this:
https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Russia

The first is the main page that may not let you straight into the last link. If not then just go in and research until you find what you are looking for. You will need to research the website anyway as it holds all you need to know now for the next steps.

You need her MOS number. Call NVC if you do not have it. If you do not have the police check done yet then jump on that immediately as it takes a month and you cannot schedule an appointment until you are around that corner.

Pay the visa fee. Create an account with traveldoc and enter all information. Last thing up is the appointment schedule.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 01:27:00 AM »
All horror stories about waiting times and dates I read here  ;D http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109706&start=500
Our NOA2 is from September, 30, interview dates will be available after paing fees only. If docs are not on the way to Moscow yet no reason to look for interview dates. Well, girls wrote that some dates in december will be available later. Btw, if ur girl does not know about that forum yet I highly recommend her to read it - much more usefull information about vizas, medical exam and relocation then on RUA.

Offline gfinfla

• Spouses Country: Belarus
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »
All horror stories about waiting times and dates I read here  ;D http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=109706&start=500
Our NOA2 is from September, 30, interview dates will be available after paing fees only. If docs are not on the way to Moscow yet no reason to look for interview dates. Well, girls wrote that some dates in december will be available later. Btw, if ur girl does not know about that forum yet I highly recommend her to read it - much more usefull information about vizas, medical exam and relocation then on RUA.

If your fiancee goes to this site warn her there is A LOT of bad information there. When my wife and I were going thru the process I had to daily correct her about how things worked and the time process.  Seems there are a few people on that site that have had previous visa denials and scare the crap out of everyone else trying to get one.

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »

I believe you are looking for this:
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ru

And this:
https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Russia

The first is the main page that may not let you straight into the last link. If not then just go in and research until you find what you are looking for. You will need to research the website anyway as it holds all you need to know now for the next steps.

You need her MOS number. Call NVC if you do not have it. If you do not have the police check done yet then jump on that immediately as it takes a month and you cannot schedule an appointment until you are around that corner.

Pay the visa fee. Create an account with traveldoc and enter all information. Last thing up is the appointment schedule.

Thanks for the info.

Dumb question.... the 2nd link, when you sign up, is it me who should be filling out the information as a new user or should I be filling out the information as my Mrs. ?

Offline gfinfla

• Spouses Country: Belarus
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
Your fiancee needs the visa not you :)

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
If your fiancee goes to this site warn her there is A LOT of bad information there.

No more than at any other forum. Yes, there's A LOT of bad information here, especially when after arrival to USA fiancee will find out that she married an idiot without money :smokin:

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »
Your fiancee needs the visa not you :)

Thanks,  tiphat I figured as much but then again we are dealing with the Gov. so all reason goes out the window.

Offline Krassie

• Treat people the way you want to be treated
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »
LOL!

Registration