The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The K1 Journey  (Read 41921 times)

Offline Turboguy

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The K1 Journey
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
9 months.....good God......not good. I wish this was like Mexico or South America and you could grease the wheels by throwing some money at the right people.  Seems like I read something once about signing that you will be  financially responsible for the person. I guess that is part of a K1

You actually sign something making you responsible for her two times.  Once when you file for the K-1 which is as I recall an I-134.  It is basically meaningless and they have never enforced that one.  Then when you do removal of conditions you sign another which is enforceable which I believe is the I-864 but my form numbers could be wrong.

There have been a lot of changes in how they process a K-1 and VisaJourney.com continues to be the best site for help with the process.     

Offline JL

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
Well.....I wish they would just let them in if you sign you'll be responsible.  But we all know how that works.
They get in a fight, the guy tells her to get lost and doesn't pay a dime.....like the alimony flakes.
Oh well.....no easy way.....you just have to hope you are one of the lucky ones that goes through quickly.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
Turbo....is this available somewhere written in Russian. Seems I have seen it or a similar explanation. maybe it was on the embassy site.  :)  My girlfriend and I are beginning the process and she has little knowledge of it.

thanks,
Jim

Jim, I am fairly sure the embassy website has a pretty good overview in Russian.  I have not been on the site for a while and since that would not have been something I would have looked for I didn't pay a lot of attention to that but I am almost positive they have it.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
Quickly doesn't seem to be the usual thing these days.   The fees are three times what they used to be and the processing time is twice as long.  Not fair at all. 

Another thing on the guide the should be changed is the K-3 spousal visa is no longer used and it is now a CR-1 / IR-1

Offline JL

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Oh yeah Quickly.....a city in China

Offline Zachris

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
For those who want this, I just cut and paste this from the US Embassy site in Uzbekistan.

К-1 - Виза для жениха/невесты
Основные этапы процесса получения визы К-1
Согласно иммиграционному законодательству США подается петиция I-129F от имени жениха/невесты в Службу Гражданства и Иммиграции США и далее должна быть одобрена одним из подразделений Службы Гражданства и Иммиграции США. Петиция подается в подразделение Службы имеющее полномочие по настоящему или предполагаемому месту жительства петиционера в США.

• Петиция I-129F не может быть подана или одобрена подразделениями Службы Гражданства и Иммиграции США или Посольствами и Консульствами США за границей.
  • Для того, чтобы обратиться с петицией I-129F петиционер должен быть гражданином США.
  • Информацию по процедуре обращения с петицией I-129F и требуемым документам находится на следующем интернет сайте Службы Гражданства и Иммиграции США.
Одобренная I-129F петиция будет направлена в соответствующее Посольство или Консульство США и петиционер будет уведомлен об одобрении I-129F петиции.
Как только Посольство получит одобренную петицию, Консульский Отдел назначит получателю данной петиции встречу на предмет получения информации о дальнейших действиях и требуемых документах необходимых для иммиграционного собеседования. Если в петиции не указан действительный контактный телефон, инструкции по подготовке к собеседованию будут направлены по адресу, указанному в петиции.
Если виза одобрена в день собеседования она будет выдана в последующий день проведения иммиграционного собеседования. К сведению: Петиционер Гражданин США не может присутствовать на  собеседовании её/его жениха/невесты.
Если получатель петиции I-129F не предоставляет все необходимые документы во время визового собеседования или далее появилась необходимость проведения административной проверки в виду исключительных обстоятельств дела, рассмотрение дела может быть временно приостановлено по статье закона 221 (g) Акта об Иммиграции и Гражданстве США. Как только требуемая информация будет подготовлена, заявителю необходимо связяться с Консульским Отделом для записи на дополнительное собеседование.
K-2 Визы для детей Жениха/ Невесты
Все не достигшие 21-года и не состоящие в браке дети заявителя, обращающегося на визу жениха/невесты, должны быть указаны в петиции I-129F. Дети, обращающиеся по визу К-2, также должны присутствовать на собеседовании, оплатить стоимость визы и предоставить соответствующие документы.
После въезда на территорию США по визе K-1

• Брак должен быть зарегестрирован в течении 90 дней с даты въезда на территорию США. 
  • После регистрации брака супруг/га должны связаться со Службой Гражданства и Иммиграции США и обратиться за сменой иммиграционного статуса на статус супруга/ги.
  • Жених/невеста должны обращаться за разрешением на работу в Службу Гражданства и Иммиграции США.
Numquam tribuere ad malitia quod sufficienter explicatur stultitia.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Никогда не приписывать злобы, которое может быть адекватно объяснено глупостью.

Offline JL

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
does it say anything interesting or new?

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
9 months.....good God......not good. I wish this was like Mexico or South America and you could grease the wheels by throwing some money at the right people.  Seems like I read something once about signing that you will be  financially responsible for the person. I guess that is part of a K1

10 years financial responsibility.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »

10 years financial responsibility.

That seems reasonable.

Should men import women with no financial responsibility?
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline JL

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
yes I agree...that is reasonable.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »
My understanding of how that 10 year responsibility works is that the applicant is responsible for any costs to the government for that 10 year period.  They can be ordered to reimburse the government for any claims for welfare, unemployment, Social Security disability and the like.   They don't care if she doesn't have money for food or shelter, just so the government isn't on the hook for anything.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
This is another older Travel Report that discusses the K-1 process in some detail. Again it is older some things have changed.

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=182.0

Av
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Faux Pas

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »

There is another way to consider this. 7-9 months means the applications they are processing that particular day was received 7-9 months ago.

Several years ago when I sent an application it was 8-9 months. A few guys from the forum submitted after I did but had the same notice of 8-9 months. A couple of them were completed in 4 months. Mine wasn't but that was another story. My point is, you really can't believe nor count on what they post there and they don't update that page daily or maybe even monthly. Your best resource to follow it is visajourney and see actual dates

Offline blast

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »
Question:  Can anyone confirm the USCIS has added a new rule to the K-1 process- you are only allowed 2 lifetime K-1 applications per US citizen?  Seems I did hear this was added because of abuse?   

If your future bride can obtain a US tourist visa, it is possible to petition for a "Change of Status" to I-130 Spouse of US citizen (as we did).  This process has advantages, but should be coached by an Immigration Attorney to avoid accusation of fraud.

Offline TomT

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
One can apply for a waiver for more than two K1 Visas.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Registration