The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian/Ukrianian restaurants in Western Europe  (Read 8887 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russian/Ukrianian restaurants in Western Europe
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:15:01 AM »
This is a directory of Russian & Ukrianian restaurants in Western Europe.

We're creating a directory and need your input.  If you post please make sure to include the restaurant name, address, and telephone number.  Please add your review if you've dined at the restaurant.  We'll keep adding your locations in one central directory as members post and review them.  That will allow us to keep a full directory in one convenient location.

Russian Restaurants in the United Kingdom

Liverpool
Restaurant and Club St Petersburg
7a York Street, Liverpool, L1 5BN, Tel/Fax: 0151 7096676    E-mail: rurestaurant@gmail.com

London
Borshtch n' Tears
46 Beauchamp Place, London, SW3 1NX  Tel: 0871 3327873

Erebuni Armenian Russian Restaurant
36, Lancaster Gate, London, W2 3NA     Tel: 020 7402 6067

Goodmans
26 Maddox Street, London W1.    Tel: 0207 499 3776
http://www.goodmanrestaurants.com

Restaurant Potemkin
144 Clerkenwell Road, London, EC1R 5DP, Tel: 020 7278 6661      

Trojka Russian Restaurant
101, Regents Park Rd, London, NW1 8UR
Tel: 020 7483 3765

Manchester
St. Petersburg Russian Restaurant & Bar. 68, Sackville St, Manchester, M1 3NJ   Tel: 0161 236 6333

Wales
SWAN LAKE Russian Restaurant
111, Stow Hill,
Newport,  Gwent (Wales)  NP20 4ED    Tel: 01633 262 162     Mob: 07967 058 686
Wales 1st Russian Restaurant Authentic Russian Cuisine Russian Beers & Georgian Wines Free Parking Locally Excellent Russian Hospitality Open from 7pm Wed to Sun
http://www.swanlakenewport.com/SwanLake.html

Russian restaurants in Continential Europe:

Arlon, Belgium
Kalinka Restaurant 
Rue des Faubourgs 21, Arlon  6700   Tel:  +32 63 60 11 68

Amsterdam
Polonia Polish & Russian Cafe
3e Oosterparkstraat 72, Amsterdam  1091 KA, Netherlands   Tel: +31 20 663 26 25

Berlin
Restaurant Pasternak
Knaackstrasse 22, 10405 Berlin, Germany     Tel: +49(0)30-4413399       

Den Haag, Netherlands
Rasputin Restaurant
Javastraat 221, Den Haag  2585 AK, Netherlands   Tel: +31 70 360 41 81

Hamburg
Altes Moskau  Russian Restaurant
Hans-Henny-Jahnn-Weg 58, 22085 Hamburg, Germany     Tel: 040 / 22 73 92 77

Nijmegen, Netherlands
Tbilisi Georgian & Russian Restaurant and Partycenter
Hofvijver 33, Oss  5346 KB, Netherlands   Tel: +31 412 627 249

Key contributors:  Chris, Manny

Offline Manny

Re: Russian/Ukrianian restaurants in western Europe
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:14:28 AM »
Quote from: Mendy
UK-Liverpool
7a York Street, Liverpool, L1 5BN, Tel/Fax: 0151 7096676

I took my wife there in November. It is situated down a back street in a district full of boarded up buildings and drug dealers with Pit Bull Terriers stood on the street corners. Parking is not safe there, suggest a taxi there if you must go.

It was quiet as the grave when we went, the service was adequate, but the bunch of 'buddies and cronies' lurking near the door (in the usual pointy shoes and black leather jackets) all mumbling in Russian gave it a speakeasy feel rather than a restaurant.

Situated on the 1st floor (2nd to Americans), the decor is a bit naff and the furniture reminiscent of a cafe/diner rather than a restaurant. It probably looked OK a few years ago when fresh, but now is in need of a revamp.

They do have Georgian and other wines otherwise hard to find in the UK, but the price of same reflects the scarcity rather than the quality.

The menu has a bit of everything on it, Georgian, Russian and Ukrainian stuff was identified by my wife. However the food we ate that night was very average, bordering on grim. My wife declared the Borsch to be heated up in the microwave and not so good and the blini she described as "probably made yesterday and not how it should be." I have forgotten what I had, it was that memorable. Expensive when compared to the overall quality.

Not a place I would choose to visit again.  :duh:

They have also just opened one in Manchester:

St. Petersburg Russian Restaurant & Bar
68, Sackville St, Manchester, M1 3NJ
Tel: 0161 236 6333

That address is in the trendy gay district, and being new I doubt it will be as drab as the Liverpool one. The rents are so high in the M1 district, that if they don't get it right it will be closed in six months. It may be worth a visit just to compare and review.

That address is also situated quite close to the Dutch, Spanish and other Embassies. So if spending the night in central Manchester submitting a Visa application or something with your wife, it may be a place you want to try out. Most hotels and restaurants in M1 require deep pockets, so be warned.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
Re: Russian/Ukrianian restaurants in Western Europe
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:27:46 AM »
Quote from: mendeleyev
Liverpool
7a York Street, Liverpool, L1 5BN, Tel/Fax: 0151 7096676    E-mail: rurestaurant@gmail.com

I have also dined at this restaurant a couple of years ago, pretty much as Manny stated above, however, the evening I spent there with a lovely UW was a lot more memorable as it was 7th January Christmas day and so there was lots going on with Russian dancing, music et al and overall it was quite a good night we had there.

However, it is expensive for what they serve and the quality of the food is poor, I think they rely on the fact there is no other options for Russian/Ukrainian food in the area and trade on that fact.

OK as a 'one off' experience if you pick a celebration night, other than that I wouldn't go again.
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:16:15 AM »
Little place I found on my travels this morning - quite by chance............

Culture Cafe, Gorton Road (junction of Higginson Rd), Reddish, Stockport. (right near Houldsworth Square)

Just a small cafe, but run by a gorgeous tall blonde Lithuianian girl with perfect English (and no wedding ring!). Very clean, very cheap and all kinds of Russian bits and pieces on the menu.  :nod:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
Sir Manchester, as thanks for your most recent contribution to this directory you have been awarded the "Order of the Soviet Restaurant" star and will now be able to shop for leather shoes in Soviet state stores on the fifth Thursday of February every Leap Year! For special service come between the hours of Noon-1pm.  Store hours are 10am-Noon, closed for lunch, open from 2-4pm.      :chuckle:

Registration