The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Canadian work visa  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Mervcanada

Canadian work visa
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
has anyone any experience with bringing Russian or Ukraine ladies to Canada by means of a work visa? Would be interested in any accounts of such attempts -
Anyone know what percentage of work visas to Canada are approved from these countries?
Merv

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Canadian work visa
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »
has anyone any experience with bringing Russian or Ukraine ladies to Canada by means of a work visa? Would be interested in any accounts of such attempts -
Anyone know what percentage of work visas to Canada are approved from these countries?
Merv

Welcome aboard Merv. :)  Talk to Rasputin or MBS01 about this. Here is a link that might help you to start.

http://cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

And a thread...

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=306.0

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
Merv

I have never really heard of any cases where this happened. It would depend on her skills. If a woman has a good command of English and/or French, and has experience working with children, she can always try to come over as a nanny. If her skills are in demand, there are other possibilities. Keep in mind, however, that an employer wishing to hire a foreigner must demonstrate that they cannot find anyone in Canada to do the job. This involves advertising the job in local papers or online. The only province that I know where business were actively recruiting people from overseas was Alberta.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:34:33 PM »
 The questions we as Canadians should be directed at our MP in our constituency. In fact this coming week I intend to call up my MP  Hon. Pat Martin. He gets his sound bites,and I want to know why with the amount of eastern European immigration to my part of the country in the past. They developed the prairies,and continue to be good citizens generations later.
 That the laws have not been changed to allow them in without all the  :censored: bureaucratic iron curtain that seems to have yet come down.
 Now with Poland ,Romania, and I believe Bulgaria having given visa free status to Canada,why not Ukraine or Russia ?
 One can argue it could be a concern from the 90's " Stripper Importation"  ::) gee somehow those girls weren't just dancers ::) And now they think all those girls will come and never leave. To the best of my knowledge FSU girls go to other first world countries ,and they don't seem to have such a problem with them that the government clamps down on allowing them in.............  I'm not having a good day, but to get back on topic other provinces do allow foreign workers. We have Mexicans picking out veggies,because the producers say they can't find anyone locally to do the job. Funny I have never seen any ads for these jobs,but I bet not having to pay overtime and benefits to these migrant workers is a plus in keeping the costs low.
  I do know a local business guy who runs 2 convenience stores.  He's bring in people from  India to work.  I suppose India being a part of the Commonwealth helps,but who knows.   Maybe just for the hell of it I'll go down to a local pizza outlet,and ask if the Ukrainians working there have their residency card, or are just here on a work visa.

Sorry this doesn't help at all, but try calling you MP's office and click on the CIC link.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »

Now with Poland, Romania, and I believe Bulgaria having given visa free status to Canada, why not Ukraine or Russia ?

Because neither Russia not Ukraine became proud EU members on the 1st of January, 2008. As simple as that!
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »
Thank you ball breaker ,I am aware of that ::)  Canada takes loads of 3rd world people. Many Jamacian's set up a hut in Toronto and proceed to shoot their way through the system.  War criminals without any identification show up and get in. People with HIV/AIDS get a ride in as well, taking full advantage of my tax dollars getting the treatment they can't afford at home.
 White naturalized citizens can't get a job because he don't speaks anudder langooage, but someone with a different hue gets in . Throw her in a wheelchair and,
 WATCH OUT UPPER MANAGEMENT !!!!  :offtopic:  Yes your right Mr. Emootiecon , I'm just ranting,and lightly making a point as to how stupid the MP's run things in my country.

Offline froid

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »
I actually investigated all this in regards to Mila.  My mother was curious if she could get here via that route instead of the marriage and sponsorship route.  To appease her I did all the research.

There is a points system to see if you qualify for coming.  Experience, education, age, proficiency at our official languages etc etc.  If you get over a certain score you qualify. 

Then you need either a job offer from a company here, or $13000.  Then you can apply.

Mila would just pass, or pass easily the score part depending on how her english was rated.  Finding a job offer or raising $13000 would just be a matter of time and work.

The killer comes in the processing time.  Where a family sponsorship takes from 3 to 11 months if you check the website info...the worker class processing takes 11 to 55 months. 

Check the CIC website for the full info.  And my memory might be fuzzy on some of the numbers, this was several months ago I checked all this. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Registration