The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.  (Read 121645 times)

Offline Donhollio

Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »
Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.

There is no such thing as a K1 to Canada & there is no such thing as a fiancee Visa to Canada.
You must marry her in her own country before she will be permitted to immigrate.

Some of the differences are that Canada does not have a income requirement to bring a spouse back. Quebec does. CIC told me that it would only be a issue if one was on welfare, than it may be a problem (as I would hope). I also called twice to see if their stories matched , and they did. The first time the guy told me they wouldn't keep you from being with your wife or child, just because you didn't earn enough.

There is only an interview if there's maybe some inconsistencies in the paper work. Or if they suspect the marriage is not genuine. Other than that, she sends her papers to the Embassy in her country of residence, while mine stay in Canada. My papers are looked over,and than they tell me if I am approved to Sponsor, they say it takes 32 days for that answer.

However from the other end in eastern Europe that's where the slow down happens. Moscow is slightly faster than Kiev, while Vienna is a 1/4 of the time.  Majority of the cases (80%) are 6 months from what she told me.

CIC also pointed out there is usually a number of mistakes in her end of the paper process. Missing or incorrect documents, and that's why it takes that much longer.

This is the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

From here you can look at the timelines, percentages and also order the spousal papers and have them delivered to your door, at no charge. May as well use that service it's a 1cm thick, not that all the papers are the ones you need, but it comes as a bundle.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:12:25 PM »
You missed some things Don:
First all paper from both you and your spouse are forwarded by you to CIC here in Mississauga, Ontario.  Thus it is best for you to take hers along and have her complete them prior to you submitting them along with the required visa processing fee including her landing fee to speed matters up.

Time depends some what on the luck of the draw as both my wife's and David28's wife were processed in approximately 3 months.  Yet LPS also here in Toronto had to wait almost one full year and had only 2 weeks after his wife received her visa to arrange for her move to Toronto.  At the moment another friend is going through this process with his wife in Guyana and I have no idea how long that will take as he did not send in all the forms and fees at the beginning, plus ran into some other problems too.

On top of this Don did not go into the details regarding the process or the documents required and legalization needed for a westerner to marry in the FSU in the first place, especially if one has been divorced in the past as well.  This also comes into play as a prerequisite for Canadians planning to marry someone from a foreign country.

Then if your spouse is from Ukraine there is the added question of her getting an Ukranian Exit Visa in order to relocate and live in your country as well.  All of these things complicate the process and add time to the wait for you and your new spouse to finally get to live together in your country.

An alternative of course is for you to do the relocation and live in her country as Richard (Rvrwind) chose to do by moving from Alberta, Canada to Tver, Russia after his marriage in September 2003.

Offline Rvrwind

• In God we trust, all others pay cash!!
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:24:02 AM »
An alternative of course is for you to do the relocation and live in her country as Richard (Rvrwind) chose to do by moving from Alberta, Canada to Tver, Russia after his marriage in September 2003.
Yes, & now that I am returning to Canada you will also find you are mistaken with this statement:
Canada does not have a income requirement to bring a spouse back.
They most assuredly do as we have found out. Because I have not lived in Canada for 4+ years & have not filed income tax there for the same period, nor can I prove that I had gainful employment in Russia, my wife will not be permitted to accompany me to Canada. So in effect they do have certain income requirements under certain circumstances.
 :offtopic: Nice to see you here Wes...A big HI to you & Lora from Valya!
Canadian Cowboy - Dyin' is Easy, It's Livin' thats Hard!!!

tbelknap

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:44:42 AM »
I never heard of the Ukrainian exit visa.  Is this Canada related or would we have to worry about this in other countries like the US.  We are working on filing a spousal visa this month.

Thomas

Offline MBS01

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »
Good question Thomas:
As I noted it is an "Ukranian Exit Visa" it is the Ukraine's requirement for all nationals planning to live outside of Ukraine.  Your spouse can and will be questioned when she later returns and then attempts to leave Ukraine to travel back to your country without one.

A long time ago on RWG Doug Salem wrote about how his wife Olga was stopped on 3 visits to Ukraine when she attempted to leave and return to the USA because she did not have the Exit Visa stamp in her Ukraine International Passport!  Finally Olga's mother contacted a local official and arranged for her daughter to obtain one with the usual appropriate gifts, etc.

For us it took longer going through normal channels to obtain the Exit Visa than to obtain the Canadian Visa for Lora.

There is however one downside you need to consider it this as well.  Your spouse will have to sign off on all existing property rights in Ukraine.  That is give up ownership of her flat or house if she has one.  Simple to sign over ownership to a relative as this takes care of the problem.  Thus not everyone from Ukraine applies for an Exist visa as like I noted it means they loose their local passport and give up their Ukraine property rights.  So a lot for you to think about with your Ukranian spouse!

After moving to your country your Ukranian spouse will need to register with the local Ukraine Embassy or Consulate as a Ukranian living abroad in your country.

Hope this helps.  Wes.

Offline MBS01

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »
Canadian Income Reguirements:
Richard noted one income requirement above.

However as in many things in Canada Quebec does it their way.  If you live in Quebec you must meet that province's income requirement in order for your spouse to obtain a visa to relocate to Canada, even though this same requirement does not apply usually to the rest of the country.

Offline BCKev

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »
I received the following email from the embassy in Kiev describing the paperwork needed and procedures to get married in Ukraine. It is a good explanation, with lots of detail. Hope it is as simple at is sounds!

1) First of all, you would need to obtain a Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage and a Statutory Declaration on marital status which are issued by and signed at the Canadian Embassy in Ukraine (31 Yaroslaviv Val, Kiev 01901). This Statement will be written in both English and Ukrainian, so you do not need to translate it. In order to obtain this document, you are requested to come to the Embassy in person submitting your valid Canadian passport and Driver's license.

* The Consular Fee for this service is CAN $ 50 / or US $ 50 / or UAH 250. You can pay cash in one of these currencies. You are welcome to come to the Embassy for this service every day, from Monday to Thursday, from 9.00 to 12.00. Appointment is not required. You come in the morning to submit your documents and then in the afternoon you receive the documents from us.

After obtaining the above mentioned statement, you are requested to legalize it further at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Consular Department, Section of Legalization of Documents, located in Kiev at the following address:

Consular Department, Section of Legalization of Documents, 2 Velyka Zhytomyrska, Tel. 238-16-69 Documents for legalization are accepted: 09:00- 12:00, Mo-Fr, Legalized Documents can be picked up: 15:00-18:00.

2) The second step is the translation of the first page (identification page) of your Canadian passport into Ukrainian attested at a Notary Public in Ukraine or any licensed Translation Agency.

3) In case of Divorce, you are requested to submit an original legalized Divorce Certificate to the Ukrainian Authorities. Being in Canada You need to legalize the original Divorce Certificate with:

a) the Provincial Government or with the Department of Foreign Affairs of Canada in Ottawa;

b) then you can proceed with the final legalization at the Ukrainian Embassy in Ottawa, Tel. (613) 230-2961 / Ukrainian Consulate in Toronto, Tel. (416) 763-3114, or at the Canadian Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine.

Please note the "Certified True Copy" of your Divorce Certificate is not accepted by the Ukrainian Authorities. Therefore you have to make sure that your bring a legalized original Divorce Certificate with you to Ukraine.

For authentication purposes of the Divorce Certificate to be used abroad the name of the signing judge or clerk of the court must be printed. Therefore please make sure that his / her name be printed on your Divorce Certificate. The translation of the Divorce Certificate is required.

Offline froid

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
I heard yesterday that our paperwork is finally enough for the director of one of the local Zags in Penza, Russia to allow us to get married.  Being divorced made me work a little harder to get things done and here is what I ended up needing.

Before I left for a visit...
1. Divorce Certificate
2. Legalized Marriage Search covering the years since my divorce.  Legalized by sending it to the Department of External Affairs for a stamp, and then they forward it, and your payment, to the Russian Embassy for the Russian stamp. 

Once there we had my documents translated and notarized as well as the information page of my passport.

And finally...because we want to get married in May, and I was not going to return until then, I signed my portion of the marriage application in front of a translator and the notary.  This lets Mila bring the application without me being there since she has to put in the application approx a month before the wedding date. 

There was some confusion initially with the documents needed and where I should get the translations done and notarized.  I ended up getting my documents scanned, Mila would translate them and show them to the ZAGS until we got them to agree the paperwork would be ok, as long as everything was notarized on Russian soil (Meaning Russian consulate, or in Russia) and my search Legalized.  They said my divorce certificate didn't need legalization as it was within the search period of my marriage search. 

Some things that would be interesting to other people trying to do many of these things, are timeframes.

For instance, getting my marriage search took 8 weeks and additional phone calls and an extra visit to ServiceOntario. 
Getting the document legalized took about 4 weeks, and I used couriers and paid extra for the Russian Embassy to process my document quicker.  So for that ONE piece of paper...12 weeks. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline froid

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
Also...just thought of this...

How long does it take for the Police check and to arrange and get the results of the Medical once you are preparing the application to Immigrate? 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »
Have you looked through the documents that you and your wife will have to eventually fill when you apply to sponsor her and she applied for permanent residence? You have to provide documentation and proof that you have a legitimate relationship. This means keeping every slip of paper that you have to prove the legitimacy of your relationship. If you talk to her on the phone, keep the phone bills. If you write by e-mail, keep copies of that. If you went to a restaurant, keep the receipts. You can never have too much paperwork.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »
Also...just thought of this...

How long does it take for the Police check and to arrange and get the results of the Medical once you are preparing the application to Immigrate? 

It will take a few weeks for her to get the police check if memory serves me right (my wife got it before coming to Canada). It does not take a long time to set up the medical exam, but you have to go to a CIC approved doctor or clinic and the results are sent directly to the appropriate office. In our case, as we were doing an inland application, the results were sent to the Vegreville CIC office.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline froid

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
Hmmm...does that mean you send in the application before the medical? 

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »

Our case is a bit different in that we did the inland application (in other words we applied for my wife's permanent resident status from inside Canada). I double-checked: my wife went to see a CIC approved doctor in early may and we sent in our paperwork to the CIC office in Vegreville in June. The results of the medical exam were sent directly from the physician's office to the CIC office: i.e. we submitted proof of examination, but not the actual results when applying.
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline MBS01

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »

I think you will find you have to send all the paperwork to CIC together now including the proof of medical exam at the clinic specified for her country by CIC as well as her most recent police check.

As to the documentation regarding proof of relationship a sampling of emails, copies of all your flights to the FSU, internal travel tickets for trains or flights together, other receipts for the theatre etc, photos of both of you including at your wedding and on your honeymoon and the like.  Original telephone bills (they will be returned to you later).  Our documents and forms were around 200 pages and some others were much more detailed, but you get the picture I am sure.

Always check the CIC website for recent changes.  As I was completing my forms I discovered that most of mine had changed from what I had already filled out and I had to quickly re-do them.  One for my wife had changed, but the old version was accepted.

Note the key to timing is the date of the medical exam.  Her Landing visa will be for a period ending 1 year from the date of the medical exam, so make sure it is the last thing she does before you submit your paperwork.  My wife did hers and sent it by express post for me to forward just before I filed our paperwork.

Back in 2003 - 2004 you had to prove your relationship had lasted for over one year from first writing and meeting to the time you filed for her sponsorship, but I understand this requirement has been dropped.  Just the same the longer you can prove you have been in your relationship the better.

Good Luck.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »
 For those Canucks looking to eastern Europe, CIC has lifted visa requirments on some FSU countries :party0011:

It's a whole new frontier ! :party0031:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2008/2008-03-01.asp

Offline froid

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
Just working ahead a little on all the forms during some spare time. 

And you know...some of these forms are REALLY repetitive.  How many times do they need to have my birthdate?!?!?!  :) 

Ok...I feel better having vented. :D 

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
I have an urgent request if anyone can help? Has anyone had experience with a spouse or GF going in for an interview for a temporary visa?

We ran into some long delays due to problems of Yulia getting her documents, so the permanent will probably take another year or more.

My father was diagnosed this spring with cancer, so Yulia is going to Kiev to apply for a temporary visitor visa, if she can't get over here this winter my father will not be able to go to the wedding.

I guess this would qualify as 'compassionate" grounds, as we have letters from the doctor etc. to support it.

I am asking if anyone's spouse has any advice about the interview process? I want to tell her what to expect.

Actually if it was the interview for permanent, or was in a different Canadian Consulate, your input would still be appreciated 

Offline froid

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:46 AM »
While we were filling out all the paperwork for permanent residence we often found ourselves wondering what they were looking for exactly, second guessing our answers, and hoping that what we were putting down was good.  Because I hate not knowing I searched far and wide for additional information and actually did find some interesting things available.

Everything you do comes down to one thing...The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Available here... http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/I-2.5/index.html

This in turn leads into the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. 
Available here... http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowTdm/cr/SOR-2002-227///en

And maybe the most interesting thing I found was the Operational Manuals.  They cover everything from procedures to the actual processing and instructions for the officers on what they should consider and what they should do.  Once I read the manuals for processing family class applicants I felt a lot better informed and generally encouraged. 

Inland Processing manuals...covering Sponsorship Applications and inland Applications.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/index.asp

Operational Manuals for Outland Processing...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/index.asp

Offline froid

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
Oh and one more part that I found VERY interesting...

In the OP11 Manual for Temporary Residence http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11e.pdf section 9 covers "Assessing The Application".  Since it seems near impossible for a FSU woman to get a Temp Visa I thought that this section was very interesting.  It covers the areas of concern for the officers as well as things to consider and additional informationt they will ask for or consider in the decision to grant a visa or not. 

Since we are now waiting for the PR to go through we may attempt to get Mila a Temp Visa and will be carefully reading this manual and addressing thier concerns as best we can. 

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »
Interesting story I heard yesterday. Application for bring a son-in law over for permanent residence.

Applied at the end of August 2008 here. After one month here, the papers were sent over seas to the embassy there. The person received their papers at the end of March 2009. Total time was roughly six months from start to finish.

Only one issue now remains, the father broke his leg, so he has to stay a while longer until it heals.  :chuckle:

May be an indication things are changing at the immigration offices.  :)

Offline BCKev

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »

May be an indication things are changing at the immigration offices.  :)

Immigrating from where? It makes a big difference. There is a significant difference in processing times among the various embassies.

I also get the impression that visa processing it getting faster. The stats that CIC posts are for the year 2007. For example, my wife will have her visa 5 months after her application was received by the embassy in Kiev. The 2007 stats said that 30% of family class(spouse) applications were completed in 10 months. We were in shock for days when we got news that it was moving along much faster than we had expected.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »
The Canadian Embassy in Kiev is known is being one of the slowliest office with longest processing times. It can take several years for a skilled worker's application to be processed. The Embassy in Moscow however tend to process pretty quick.
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline fireeater

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
The Canadian Embassy in Kiev is known is being one of the slowliest office with longest processing times. It can take several years for a skilled worker's application to be processed. The Embassy in Moscow however tend to process pretty quick.

He would also be considered a skilled worker, so items seem to be speeding up for that processing time. They themselves were surprised at the speed of the application, and expected a longer time interval for it to be processed and finished. But are also happy that it is over.  :)

The wife in question even quit her school year to go back and be with her husband. Against her parents wishes. Now a surprise since she could have had both completed. Oh well, young love is impatience, and can not be denied.  :chuckle:

Her parents have to be the sponser since she is not of legal age to do this yet, nor has she a job either, and will still have to finish school.  :-X   

Offline fireeater

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »
Today I needed to access something in my City's web site, and have noticed two changes of interest.

The first they have added the ability to use google to select and change the information there into your more native tongue. Which is a bonus for new immigrants, as they do not need to be proficient in English to now understand the information there.

The second was that they have established a group of professionals to help new immigrants. Which is meant to help these people continue their profession in this country. So another sign of the changing times here, that a starting place for this has been established, even at the city level of government.

The government of Canada also has a Foreign Credentials Referral Office,
which can assist in that process for people wishing to work in Canada.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »

And it's too bad CIC never tells those high skilled people that their profession in their country mean nothing here in Canada. Yet they are led to believe that they can easily get their papers to continue on working as a doctor for instance.  CIC tells them they need doctors but fails them the entire way,leaving them with shattered dreams and working a menial job.  :-[