The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.  (Read 40740 times)

Offline froid

Re: Canadian Immigration and Citzenship, CIC for short.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
Just working ahead a little on all the forms during some spare time. 

And you know...some of these forms are REALLY repetitive.  How many times do they need to have my birthdate?!?!?!  :) 

Ok...I feel better having vented. :D 

Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
I have an urgent request if anyone can help? Has anyone had experience with a spouse or GF going in for an interview for a temporary visa?

We ran into some long delays due to problems of Yulia getting her documents, so the permanent will probably take another year or more.

My father was diagnosed this spring with cancer, so Yulia is going to Kiev to apply for a temporary visitor visa, if she can't get over here this winter my father will not be able to go to the wedding.

I guess this would qualify as 'compassionate" grounds, as we have letters from the doctor etc. to support it.

I am asking if anyone's spouse has any advice about the interview process? I want to tell her what to expect.

Actually if it was the interview for permanent, or was in a different Canadian Consulate, your input would still be appreciated 

Offline froid

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:46 AM »
While we were filling out all the paperwork for permanent residence we often found ourselves wondering what they were looking for exactly, second guessing our answers, and hoping that what we were putting down was good.  Because I hate not knowing I searched far and wide for additional information and actually did find some interesting things available.

Everything you do comes down to one thing...The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Available here... http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/I-2.5/index.html

This in turn leads into the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. 
Available here... http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowTdm/cr/SOR-2002-227///en

And maybe the most interesting thing I found was the Operational Manuals.  They cover everything from procedures to the actual processing and instructions for the officers on what they should consider and what they should do.  Once I read the manuals for processing family class applicants I felt a lot better informed and generally encouraged. 

Inland Processing manuals...covering Sponsorship Applications and inland Applications.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/index.asp

Operational Manuals for Outland Processing...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/index.asp

Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline froid

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
Oh and one more part that I found VERY interesting...

In the OP11 Manual for Temporary Residence http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11e.pdf section 9 covers "Assessing The Application".  Since it seems near impossible for a FSU woman to get a Temp Visa I thought that this section was very interesting.  It covers the areas of concern for the officers as well as things to consider and additional informationt they will ask for or consider in the decision to grant a visa or not. 

Since we are now waiting for the PR to go through we may attempt to get Mila a Temp Visa and will be carefully reading this manual and addressing thier concerns as best we can. 

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »
Interesting story I heard yesterday. Application for bring a son-in law over for permanent residence.

Applied at the end of August 2008 here. After one month here, the papers were sent over seas to the embassy there. The person received their papers at the end of March 2009. Total time was roughly six months from start to finish.

Only one issue now remains, the father broke his leg, so he has to stay a while longer until it heals.  :chuckle:

May be an indication things are changing at the immigration offices.  :)

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »

May be an indication things are changing at the immigration offices.  :)

Immigrating from where? It makes a big difference. There is a significant difference in processing times among the various embassies.

I also get the impression that visa processing it getting faster. The stats that CIC posts are for the year 2007. For example, my wife will have her visa 5 months after her application was received by the embassy in Kiev. The 2007 stats said that 30% of family class(spouse) applications were completed in 10 months. We were in shock for days when we got news that it was moving along much faster than we had expected.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »
The Canadian Embassy in Kiev is known is being one of the slowliest office with longest processing times. It can take several years for a skilled worker's application to be processed. The Embassy in Moscow however tend to process pretty quick.
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline fireeater

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
The Canadian Embassy in Kiev is known is being one of the slowliest office with longest processing times. It can take several years for a skilled worker's application to be processed. The Embassy in Moscow however tend to process pretty quick.

He would also be considered a skilled worker, so items seem to be speeding up for that processing time. They themselves were surprised at the speed of the application, and expected a longer time interval for it to be processed and finished. But are also happy that it is over.  :)

The wife in question even quit her school year to go back and be with her husband. Against her parents wishes. Now a surprise since she could have had both completed. Oh well, young love is impatience, and can not be denied.  :chuckle:

Her parents have to be the sponser since she is not of legal age to do this yet, nor has she a job either, and will still have to finish school.  :-X   

Offline fireeater

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »
Today I needed to access something in my City's web site, and have noticed two changes of interest.

The first they have added the ability to use google to select and change the information there into your more native tongue. Which is a bonus for new immigrants, as they do not need to be proficient in English to now understand the information there.

The second was that they have established a group of professionals to help new immigrants. Which is meant to help these people continue their profession in this country. So another sign of the changing times here, that a starting place for this has been established, even at the city level of government.

The government of Canada also has a Foreign Credentials Referral Office,
which can assist in that process for people wishing to work in Canada.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »

And it's too bad CIC never tells those high skilled people that their profession in their country mean nothing here in Canada. Yet they are led to believe that they can easily get their papers to continue on working as a doctor for instance.  CIC tells them they need doctors but fails them the entire way,leaving them with shattered dreams and working a menial job.  :-[

Offline fireeater

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »

And it's too bad CIC never tells those high skilled people that their profession in their country mean nothing here in Canada. Yet they are led to believe that they can easily get their papers to continue on working as a doctor for instance.  CIC tells them they need doctors but fails them the entire way,leaving them with shattered dreams and working a menial job.  :-[

But a change is in the works Don, the Federal, provincial, and organizations are actually working together now, on that issue. Something they did not do in the past, and is still not being done elsewhere.  :)

The fact that the city is now involved, (of course the centre of the universe always leads) is also a sign things are changing for the better.  :chuckle:

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »

Donny's right (bet you don't hear that too often  :laugh:), when doctors from the UK and the US have troubles being licensed to practice medicine in Canada, the chances for a doctor from the FSU being licensed to practice medicine in Canada are virtually nil.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline fireeater

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
Westcoast

You are a little behind the times. The federal, provincial, and territorial governments have committed for full mobility for the full labour force within Canada and the date for completion was April 1 2009.

In another words the barriers that once were, even between provinces are being, or have been changed. 

The next step is still in the works, for outside workers to be intergrated, between us and the EU, with a minimum of hassle.     :)

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 09:08:38 PM »
   :-\
 Maybe then they can drop all the stupid Iron Curtain requirments places on the majority of the FSU countries. Nahh.... it's much easier to fab some bullshit press release,to try and make good PR.
Let's not forget those poor girls are so desperate to get out of thier country, that they will say and do anything!  Culture ,family friends,even their own children and property are easily left behind, to come to the paradise of the western world

Don't you think it's all bullshit ?  How is it possible for a FSU wife living in Canada able to bring over family members so easily for a visit ?  Yet if they come here without  any support ,their seen as some threat to the Canadian way of life.

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »

Donny's right (bet you don't hear that too often  :laugh:), when doctors from the UK and the US have troubles being licensed to practice medicine in Canada, the chances for a doctor from the FSU being licensed to practice medicine in Canada are virtually nil.

As I am in my immigration process now, I visit the FSU immigration fora that target Canada, and can talk to people. There are doctors and other medical professionals who immigrated as skilled migrants from the FSU and got licensed in Canada. I think the thing is only in time and efforts that one is willing to spend in order to stay in the profession.

Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Registration