The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Day one of not smoking  (Read 4200 times)

Offline HiTech

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
Day one of not smoking
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
I pity my employees today.

Using Chantix, will see how it goes.

HiTech

Offline DonA

Re: Day one of not smoking
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »
I will remember you...I mean your employees in my prayers :-*

The best of Luck Dude.

DonAz

PS;lease keep posted on your progress. I would like to try to quit smoking again ( for the 40th time :( )

PSS: It is kind of odd, but more then half of the guys I know  in this adventure smoke and a higher then average number of us compared to the general population  Fly

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »
Wifey rations me to one packet a day with a view to stopping!  :o
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:54:07 AM »
Yep, American women drive their men to drink and Russian ones drive them to smoke.

Good luck on the chantix.   I tried it a few months ago but had a reaction and went off them.   It seemed to work much better with fewer mood swings than when I tried Zieban several years ago.

Offline freebird

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »
I quit about 4 years ago.

Here's what I did:

Bought some Wellbutrin in Mexico
Picked a date and announced to everyone that I knew that I would stop smoking on that day.
Got rid of all my accessories like ashtray and any lighters.
Fumigated my car.
Bought about 50 packs of sugarfree gum
Any time I went to some place like a sports bar where I knew there would be smokers, I would bring a nice big stinky handmade cigar.

Offline Gorky Guy

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:59:52 AM »
Quote from: freebird
Any time I went to some place like a sports bar where I knew there would be smokers...

That will not be possible here after 1st July, FB. Blighty will officially be a 'smoke free zone' from that date. Smoking will be banned in ALL enclosed public places, including your own home if any part of it is used for business and anyone apart from the business owner uses it. Maximum fine $5,000. Fail to pay and you'll spend time in a nice room with barred windows while a hairy-arsed  suicide bomber from Bangladesh buggers you senseless.

Welcome to the land of the mug and the home of the completely spineless.
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence : Oscar Wilde -- 

Offline Patrick

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »
Hey Tech man, Good luck with your ordeal. I stopped for 9 years and started back again. The entire time I stopped I wanted  one everyday. I would hang around with smokers just to get a fix. It is worst know drug on the market. I stopped again for 3 weeks and finally just said the hell with it and started smoking again. The last time was the worst 3 weeks I have gone through in a long time.

Offline HiTech

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
This really sucks, or blows which ever you prefer.
 And you all are a bunch of (*&)(*&)(&)(&)(&)&&****

I want a SMOKE NOW.

ok ok get a hold of yourself.

Offline DonA

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 04:29:03 PM »
Hi Tech I think I'm gonna have to come to Dallas and shoot with with a tranquilizer gun  :o

DonAz

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »
A co-worker of mine left work this morning after telling me he wouldn't know when he was coming back, b/c he was taking his wife out of the hospital and bringing her home to die.  Absent smoking, she prolly had another 15 or so years in the tank, which means she would have been around to see her granchildren's graduation.  Instead, they *might* have a faint memory of their grandmother, who died from multiple cancers brought on by cigarettes.

Don't smoke.  If you do smoke, quit.

BB
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

TexasMan

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 02:27:54 AM »
I quit smoking 1 year and 6 months ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. Stick to it!  ;D

Cheers!

Offline alenika

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 02:49:59 AM »
I know one guy who tries to quit smoke (doesn't smoke since December already) and what he did was biking. He went to bike right away when wanted to smoke. And the more he wanted the more he biked.

But as I could see from examples around the best way to quit smoke is not to start it  ;D

Good luck in this HiTech. It's right decision - good for everything and everyone. You can do it if really want.
I close eyes to see better

Offline HiTech

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »
Day 2 going much better. Have had short cravings, but they are lasting less than 10 secs, unlike a 30 min one yesterday.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 01:36:41 AM »

Yule Brynner 1920 - 1985

29 seconds

Offline HiTech

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
Day 3: Is it possible to overdose on Walgreens Peppermints?

HiTech

Offline bgreed

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
Don't give up!! My dad one of the most active people you would ever meet smoked for years.  He finally quite about 10 years ago.  Not soon enough he suffers from emphazema is on some form of oxygen 24/7 uses two different in halers as well as another machine whose name I can't remember along with about a handfull of pills. Doesn't have high blood preassure or colesterol, but can't walk the 75feet from the house to his workshop without being out of breath when he gets there.  He's only 74!

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »
My Father decided one day to quit, around 1983, he told me "you only think you want a cigarette, so now I just think I dont!" And he has never smoked another since!

I am not so fortunate, but I must quit before 40!  :o
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline HiTech

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »
Manchester. I'm, 46 and WAS a 2.5 pack a day smoker

Can't say enough about chantix

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »
A co-worker of mine left work this morning after telling me he wouldn't know when he was coming back, b/c he was taking his wife out of the hospital and bringing her home to die.  Absent smoking, she prolly had another 15 or so years in the tank, which means she would have been around to see her granchildren's graduation.  Instead, they *might* have a faint memory of their grandmother, who died from multiple cancers brought on by cigarettes.

Updating the above, she slipped into a coma on Friday (hope everyone had a chance to say their goodbyes) and died on Sunday.

Don't smoke.  If you do smoke, quit.

BB
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline HiTech

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »
Still not smoking,it is getting fairly easy, and only 3 days 16 hours until I see Natalia in the Odessa airport.

HiTech

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
Still not smoking,it is getting fairly easy, and only 3 days 16 hours until I see Natalia in the Odessa airport.

HiTech

Keep it up Hi T....you can break the habit.....PMA
Слава Україні

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »

Have a good trip.  And when you're out and people are smoking around you, and you think you can handle "just one" cig...

You can't. 

Good luck,

B/B

Offline HiTech

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »
Last night was the worst it has been, went out to Sovietskya street for a beer about 12:30 before bed. Was just a very nice evening  in Nikolayev and just realy wanted to relax and have a smoke. But I won out and am now over the 2 week mark.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 02:45:57 AM »
Last night was the worst it has been, went out to Sovietskya street for a beer about 12:30 before bed. Was just a very nice evening  in Nikolayev and just realy wanted to relax and have a smoke. But I won out and am now over the 2 week mark.

Well done HiT keep it up, you can beat it ;)
Слава Україні

Offline Abexx

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
I quit one hundred times before being successful.  Once I climed Mt. Katahdin in Maine.  Threw all of my cigarettes away before the climb.  Woke up in the middle of the night at the Chimney Pond campsite.  Trekked down the Mountain in the dark drove to Millinocket and found a place to buy smokes!!

Finally I stopped in 1986 after a heart attacjk and five days on oxygen!  Thereafter I bought Tic Tac and everytime I felt like smoking I would treat myself to one.  I did this for about three years and so far have been successful.  I admit quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done.  Also one of the most worthwhile!

Jim Key
Sevastopol, Ua