The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Narcissism in FSU women  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Narcissism in FSU women
« on: January 27, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »
Are FSU women more narcissistic than western women?  (in the sense that they lack of empathy, are exploitative, have a sense of entitlement, and seek admiration)  I think that women are, contrary to popular belief, more narcissistic than men.  I also think this is a consequence of their role in society than genetic predisposition.  Beginning at puberty women women learn very quickly that men offer themselves up to be exploited by women and this gives them a sense of entitlement and a lack of concern for the men who are so willing to be exploited.  Once a woman has acclimated to this attention she feels empty without it.  The amount of time she spends looking at herself in the mirror attending to her makeup and hair is unbelievable.  So why would I initiate a discussion about FSU women being more narcissistic than western women.  They seem to come from a culture where it is expected that they concern themselves with their looks even more than western women.  More specifically this site is dedicated to discussion about dating FSU women, a part of which is avoiding exploitation.

I'm sure you have listened to the "leaked" phone conversation between Mel Gibson and Oksana Grigorieva.  I know most people are going to fall for her smear campaign but hear the mad rambling of a man who has been abused by a narcissist beyond anything I would care to comprehend.

I look forward to hearing your opinion on Russian culture and how it affects FSU women.

Offline Halo

Re: Narcissism in FSU women
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
Bad experience with an FSUW? 

People who actually study narcissists claim men are more narcisstic than women.  Take that as you wish.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2015/03/009.html

https://www.psychiatrist.com/JCP/article/Pages/2008/v69n07/v69n0701.aspx

I don't think that most women exploit men.  Your problem is, you haven't lived the other side of the coin, where from the time you start to develop breasts, sometimes earlier, you are "fair game" for being catcalled, having men comment on your breasts, or your butt, telling you in great detail what they'd like to do to you, following you when you ignore them, or when you tell them you're not interested, or just because they feel like it, trying to persuade, or force you into vehicles.  You get used to being groped on public transportation.  So, as a woman, you have to develop a thick skin to the inappropriate behaviour of men if you go out in public.

FSUW, at least in Slavic republics, don't get catcalled as often, but they probably suffer from more groping on public transportation. 

FSUW are not raised to be more concerned with their looks than WW.  I explained this before as "flower/bee".  There are fewer good bees in the FSU, so the flowers have to make themselves more attractive to get the attention of those bees, and keep them interested.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Guile

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 02:28:40 AM »
I live and work in Russia.  Have alot of women friends there.  They are no more or less narcissistic than western women.  All depends on the person.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »

FSUW are not raised to be more concerned with their looks than WW.  I explained this before as "flower/bee".  There are fewer good bees in the FSU, so the flowers have to make themselves more attractive to get the attention of those bees, and keep them interested.

That explanation surely reads as though women there are raised to be concerned with their looks. More than women in the USA and the UK, for example?
Much as I hate to say it, the big difference in obesity rates tells a story. Few women (or men for that matter) choose obesity as a route to becoming more attractive.

While I am sure that some women over here are happy to wear their jimjams and slippers to go to the shops, I have yet to see such a one. Not so rare in the English speaking world in the Northern Hemisphere! There is a real difference in the baseline for the appearance that can be easily seen. And yes, I know that the women in the English speaking world spend a shedload more on their 'beauty' than do women in countries where Cyrillic script is used but one of these groups of women do not seem to make the best use of their resources.

Does any of that make them more 'narcissistic'? Well, I think that's a poor choice of words given that narcissism is a form of mental disorder. If, as I think Ward was trying to say (please correct me Ward, if I am mistaken) was that these women are more concerned about how they look then I would say that the evidence clearly suggests an answer in the affirmative. There is a clear tendency for women in the Cyrillic world to take more care over their appearance than in the English speaking western world.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
Does any of that make them more 'narcissistic'? Well, I think that's a poor choice of words given that narcissism is a form of mental disorder. If, as I think Ward was trying to say (please correct me Ward, if I am mistaken) was that these women are more concerned about how they look then I would say that the evidence clearly suggests an answer in the affirmative. There is a clear tendency for women in the Cyrillic world to take more care over their appearance than in the English speaking western world.

I've recently become a bit obsessed with the study of narcissism because it answers so many questions for me about what went wrong between me and Ms. Novosibirsk. But this makes me wonder things like: What could I have done to help her? What caused her to develop these tendencies? How cultural is this issue? How likely am I to find these issues in another FSU woman?

I don't see narcissism as a black or white issue, as in either you are or your are not a narcissist.  I think it is more of a spectrum.  I really wish I could have been more helpful to Ms. Novosibirsk but I am learning to accept that it is what it is and I did the best I could with what I had.  :(  I wish I could have the opportunity to continue to help her but it is probably for the best that I just move on.  So with that in mind I want to be more aware of this issue in my future relationships with women and preferably avoid it.

Online Guile

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 08:53:37 PM »
well it sounds like your girl became narcissistic in your mind. is she still in America or went back to Russia?  That could explain things.

Another thing, how many FSU or Russian girls did you date?  If I recall your story she came to you in the USA, did you ever go to Russia?

I have many Russian lady friends.  Some are sweet and some are not.

And it might be way down the road in the relationship until you realize it.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
Is she still in America or went back to Russia?  That could explain things.

Oh, she is definitively still here.  I would suggest the idea of moving back to Russia for a time so that our future children could experience the culture, language, and get to know her parents.  She did not even like the idea of talking about it seriously.  She considered Russia a "shit hole country".

Another thing, how many FSU or Russian girls did you date?  If I recall your story she came to you in the USA, did you ever go to Russia?

I went to Ukraine in 2012.  I went to Russia in 2014 with her to meet her family.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Narcissism in FSU women
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »
Are FSU women more narcissistic than western women?

In my opinion they run the gamut. There are women who are overly
self-involved, vain and selfish and there are those who are the
sweetest, most loving, modest, caring and loving.

You can find every personality type in the FSU.

The goal is to find a good girl whether in the US or abroad.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:56:47 AM »
Ward, I rather doubt that this woman has any kind of mental illness.

There's other stuff going on here.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 05:59:22 AM »
Is she still in America or went back to Russia?  That could explain things.

Oh, she is definitively still here.  I would suggest the idea of moving back to Russia for a time so that our future children could experience the culture, language, and get to know her parents.  She did not even like the idea of talking about it seriously.  She considered Russia a "shit hole country".

I went to Ukraine in 2012.  I went to Russia in 2014 with her to meet her family.

She considered Russia a "shit hole country". She probably came from poor background and was dreaming of marring a Rich American and live the "Sex in the city life" In the US.. And probably was not expecting her first time in the US to be mountain hiking and sleeping in a tent.. Of course there are plenty of women who would love to go camping in the Grande canyon.. as I said before you seem like the type of guy who needs a girl who is a Liberian or something like that..

I don't know why you are even wasting time writing about her.. it is life move on and put it down to a bad experience, we all have bad experiences in life, but life goes on..

As for "Narcissism in FSU women" I think your just imagining stuff..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Registration