The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Syrians , refugees or what ever you want to call them!  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Syrians , refugees or what ever you want to call them!
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:15:24 AM »
There is always lots of banter here about Syrians or people from that part of the world arriving in boats..

So question? Has anyone from this forum ever known personally any Syrian boat person/refugee or what ever you wish to call people from that part of the world ..?

Has anyone from this forum ever socialized , hung around with a few of these people or spent any time with them??
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Syrians , refugees or what ever you want to call them!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:40:32 AM »
Moby will have spent time with many of the doctors, lawyers and engineers who need our help.  :Zzzzsleep:

All the pictures I see, with boat loads of Syrians surprise me. They look much more African than I expected.

Online Guile

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 04:14:40 AM »

All the pictures I see, with boat loads of Syrians surprise me. They look much more African than I expected.

More African as in black Africa or Arab Africa?  They don't look black to me at all, more like Turkish.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 04:41:09 AM »
I spent 4 weeks with a bunch of Syrians ..

Wife's friend is married to a Syrian , he lives in Sweden and has Swedish passport. I met him many times when I was living in Moldova never knew exactly what he did for a living , though he speaks fluent Russian and has lived in Sweden 10 years was also a refugee (Found out later) actually neither of us knew what he did for a living. The girl he was dating is a bit of a dumb ass so never tried to see any further than he seemed to have money cos he always rented a nice apartment in Moldova and was always happy to get the drinks in (Well they cost jack shit in Moldova same with apartment)

She married him in the end and continued to follow her dream to move to Western Europe for a better life (Stupid women) when she arrived in Sweden turns out he was in some squalid flat in the migrants area of Gothenburg and worked KIND OFF in a pizza shop owned by a Syrian who employed illegal Syrians .. usual story..

Of course the girl in question was shocked but she was always the type of women with her nose stuck up in the air and certainly wasn't the type to admit she married an idiot..

We spent a few weeks over there some time back and you soon get the story of these people .. they just want an easy life doing jack shit all day and claiming what they can, he would go to work.. do nothing there much other than make a few pizzas and smoke outside.. life is wonderful for himself and all his buddies..It is exactly what they want..

Work 8-5 every day 5 days a week .. no it's not what these people want.. of course there are some who are willing to work.. but generally no as soon as the opportunity comes Not to work they will take it..

I met several of his friends and I cant say any thing bad about them or wives friends husband.. he is not a bad person and very friendly ...but unfortunately when it comes to work he's a lazy f*** same for all his friends they just want sit smoke all day.. :smokin:

Any way this girl got her Swedish passport some time back and found a job..as soon as she had the job her husband F***** conveniently got a bad back.. :ROFL:

He has not worked for near two years just claims benefits .. sits at home  until she goes to work then he is off in town with his friends to sit smoking.. often when his wife comes home he asks  "Did you bring me some fags back"  :laugh:

My wife no longer communicates with her friend as she got tired of listening to her excuses why her husband cannot find a job...

Yes these people are god dam lazy ****r's I met about 8/9 of them and same story there..

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 05:08:04 AM »
Moby will have spent time with many of the doctors, lawyers and engineers who need our help.  :Zzzzsleep:

He is probably sat with a dozen of them as we speak, translating posts with his natural Arabic, they'll shortly be correcting our howlers and fibs.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Halo

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
There is always lots of banter here about Syrians or people from that part of the world arriving in boats..

So question? Has anyone from this forum ever known personally any Syrian boat person/refugee or what ever you wish to call people from that part of the world ..?

Has anyone from this forum ever socialized , hung around with a few of these people or spent any time with them??

I have, most of them dentists, half of them female.  They need to write (and pass) the dental exams and take some practical courses to practice here.  All said Syria was beautiful before the war, and as educated Syrians, they had very good lives.  They love Canada, they said the loved the tolerance, but all would love to be able to go back to Syria.  Unfortunately, their home towns are all destroyed, and there is no life for them to go back to. 

I've met a few refugees with limited skills, and helped them find menial labour jobs.  A lot of them end up working in restaurants operated by other Arabs, which is not ideal, because in the kitchens, they speak Arabic rather than English, so their integration is slowed.

Speaking of tolerance, the better half, who communicates with a lot of Russians, says they just can't adjust to the tolerance here. :laugh:

ETA - All the Syrians I know came here from Lebanon.  The better half has met Syrians who came here via Sweden (sponsored by their Syrian sister).  They all wanted to go back to Sweden because there, "the government gives us everything and we don't have to work".  He's also heard this from Somalis who wanted to go back to the UK for the same reason.  Life on welfare here is more difficult than it is in Europe. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »

No Syrians but I knew a couple of Iraqi’s. One very polite, educated who owned a restaurant and worked very hard. The other guy very blue collar and a bit rough owned a gas station with a partner. I told him I thought a couple guys outside in a car were casing him to rob him. He said he was already aware about them and was prepared to deal with them. Both he and his partner packed heat and were well acquainted with the local PD. And he mentioned he thought the thugs in the car were Russian.

I had the feeling he might have left couple dead bodies back in Iraq.  :coffeeread:

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
My understanding is that Syria was a very beautiful country prior to the war. B/B mentioned in another thread that those kind of places are often awful (I’m paraphrasing) without Western intervention.

And my answer is that’s all the more reason not to waste even one more red cent on any war or intervention in the Middle East.

Start by defunding Israel and unplugging all Zionist controlled media in the USA. Which is probably about 99% of it. If they don’t like being out of the propaganda business throw the bums in prison for treason.

Sweden is run by “progressives” now, what do you expect Steveboy?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 05:08:52 AM »

Karim, a friend of one of my biz partners is a Christian Syrian ..He has lived in the UK for thirty years.

His family paid 4k zEuro to be taken to Greece..and made it to Germany before other EU nations  started shutting up shop...Once a fan of Al Assad...not longer..

When we stayed at an Airbnb in Belast last October we met a Syrian lad, studying to be a Doctor..The couple ..orig. from England were giving him free accommodation and had taken him under their wing

You will not meet too many migrants from Syria in the UK as 'we' agreed to take 2k from refugee camps..

How many did Russia take, Steveboy)?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »

Karim, a friend of one of my biz partners is a Christian Syrian ..He has lived in the UK for thirty years.

His family paid 4k zEuro to be taken to Greece..and made it to Germany before other EU nations  started shutting up shop...Once a fan of Al Assad...not longer..

When we stayed at an Airbnb in Belast last October we met a Syrian lad, studying to be a Doctor..The couple ..orig. from England were giving him free accommodation and had taken him under their wing

You will not meet too many migrants from Syria in the UK as 'we' agreed to take 2k from refugee camps..

I do not know and I couldn't give a fig really.. Im sure they probably would not be interested in Russia just as they are not interested in being relocated to Bulgaria, Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania .. :ROFL:

I wonder why.. I will try to think about that one..

And they are not refugees .. maybe a small handful as every where there are always a few good genuine people .. other than that they are just lazy *******

If your ever in Sweden give me a shout I will introduce you to more than 1 or 2...

Personally I think if your a refugee the law should be that if you ever return  to your home country at any time you will not be given entry again back into the country that gave you refugee status ..

Well if it's ok to go back home for holidays and see grandma its ok to go back and live there.. obviously no danger.. or the danger just disappeared conveniently during  the vacation.. :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
When this tragedy was just starting, putin was on TV  saying all the refugees would be welcome as long as they were fleeing the war.

He also made it absolutely clear there were no freebies. You'd be homeless (but legal) in Russia until you find a job and can pay for your own shit.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »
I know one Syrian, he was my brother in law, a journalist. Certainly an outlier, highly educated, I suspect a double agent, he lives the life of Riley. As I understand the US government and France consult for his viewpoint and understanding of the dynamics of Syria. Through his family he has multiple contacts in Syria. An ardent foe of B. al-Assad and Israel he is both articulate and very passionate. I suspect it is part of there genetic make up.

Post Steve modification. Because of 'relative' outspoken criticism of Damascus he and many of his tribe fled. I think they could be genuinely considered political 'refugees'. Again though they are outliers.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »
When this tragedy was just starting, putin was on TV  saying all the refugees would be welcome as long as they were fleeing the war.

He also made it absolutely clear there were no freebies. You'd be homeless (but legal) in Russia until you find a job and can pay for your own shit.

Why do you think they never came to Russia ... they would of had to work As I said im sure there are a few good people;e willing to work about 3 in every 100..

I met about 10 and non had any intention of working..

Offline Halo

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »
Why do you think they never came to Russia ... they would of had to work

There are Syrians in Russia.  Most are educated, and most were educated in Russia.  They tend to be concentrated in cities.

What kind of jobs do you think people with little education and no language skills in their "adopted" homeland can obtain?  This is particularly true in Western countries, where even a lot of "low skill" jobs require some basic skills that poorly educated immigrants are lacking.

Incidentally, most Syrian refugees are living in Turkey, most likely waiting to go "home".  The second and third largest settlements are in refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan, where they aren't permitted to work and live in appalling conditions.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 01:04:55 AM »
Why do you think they never came to Russia ... they would of had to work

There are Syrians in Russia.  Most are educated, and most were educated in Russia.  They tend to be concentrated in cities.

What kind of jobs do you think people with little education and no language skills in their "adopted" homeland can obtain?  This is particularly true in Western countries, where even a lot of "low skill" jobs require some basic skills that poorly educated immigrants are lacking.

Incidentally, most Syrian refugees are living in Turkey, most likely waiting to go "home".  The second and third largest settlements are in refugee camps in Lebanon and Jordan, where they aren't permitted to work and live in appalling conditions.

Incidentally, most Syrian refugees are living in Turkey, most likely waiting to go "home"

Yeah these people are refugees I don't dispute that.... very different to the ones who turn up in Rubber boats in the UK...and making selfies on the Dover cliffs..usually young guys in their 20's wanting an easy life..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »

Online Guile

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 08:19:22 PM »
have you met those Gypsies who get their kids to approach you and ask for money?! saw a few of them in Russia...sad stuff

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 01:12:47 AM »

very different to the ones who turn up in Rubber boats in the UK...and making selfies on the Dover cliffs..usually young guys in their 20's wanting an easy life..

Steveboy

I have watch documentaries  where Syrians are filmed crossing Europe to France and try getting in...Easy is not an adjective I recognise for their lives..

Frankly, I find it amazing why they try so hard to get to the UK.

As we should now realise, Asylum claims will not wash, having crossed Europe.

Many have paid huge money to organised crime gangs ..Their families having somehow escaped together funds to pay for transportation.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 07:17:40 AM »

very different to the ones who turn up in Rubber boats in the UK...and making selfies on the Dover cliffs..usually young guys in their 20's wanting an easy life..

Steveboy

I have watch documentaries  where Syrians are filmed crossing Europe to France and try getting in...Easy is not an adjective I recognise for their lives..

Frankly, I find it amazing why they try so hard to get to the UK.

As we should now realise, Asylum claims will not wash, having crossed Europe.

Many have paid huge money to organised crime gangs ..Their families having somehow escaped together funds to pay for transportation.

You will be surprised what people will do for an easy life, free house and so on.. it is no different to you and me!? If I offered you 10 million $ to get across the English Channel by any means possible , after sleeping on the streets a few months and a 1000 mile walk you would probably think about taking a year out of your life to do this and collect the 10 million???? I certainly would and I think there would be plenty more following me? If you just happened to die swimming across the channel that's your tough luck??  These people are after the money illegally so if they die? tough!

No different from me robbing a bank, then getting caught and complaining about having to spend 10 years locked up??

Live by the sword die by the sword..  your all responsible for what you do in life..

In life every thing is black and white for me.. ;D

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
have you met those Gypsies who get their kids to approach you and ask for money?! saw a few of them in Russia...sad stuff

I have a different view on things than most.. and these people including the parents who bring their kids across the sea in dingy and do all sorts of shit with them need to be imprisoned for inflicting mental distress on minors and endangering minors lives..

It is simple really!

I live in London have two youngsters, I leave them in the car for the day with doors locked while its +30 outside? What happens? Social services take children from me and I will probably be in front of the magistrate? Correct?  I take drugs and do not feed my children they get undernourished and become ill?? What happens? Social services take kids off me and I'm in from to magistrate? correct?  Same situation if I beat the children? same situation If I leave them at home unattended whilst I go out partying? Same situation If I take them to a pond to play with ducks and whilst there I leave them there, one falls in and drowns? What do you think would happen to me?

I want to go to France with my two youngsters for a few bottles of wine .. BUT can't afford the ferry? So I decide to take the two kids in a small rubber dinghy and row over to France on the way we all fall out and kids nearly die ..please tell me what would happen to me? I would be in the national press , I would have kids taken from me and probably face prison for ENDANGERING THE LIFE OF MINORS ?? I think I would be correct in assuming that?

So why the ***** aren't these dumb ass **** *****s being prosecuted the very second the arrive on British shores for ENDANGERING A MINORS LIFE???????

If you ask me they kids should be taken straight from them and looked after some how, the parents need to be up against the magistrate that very day sentenced to two years in a prison. After the sentence is one they need to be put on a cargo plane with any others, a parachute strapped to their back then dropped 5000 feet into their own countries airspace.. each should be given $200.00 in their pocket a pat on the back and told "Good luck on the way down"

Job done.. do that and the problem will be solved over night.. tiphat

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 11:08:54 AM »
My wife was a youngster in the Moldovan- Transnistria  war https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria_War

You know mother was running through a corn field with my wife and baby brother with bombs going off and heavy artillery in the background ducking and diving all the way to safety in another village..
Moldova released lots of prisoners during this time into the area to cause even more problems probably some thing you couldn't image murders going around a war zone raping women and kids..

Don't remembre any rubber dinghies arriving from Moldova back the..

Same situation when London was blitzed..
Don't remembre many Brits in dinghies heading to the States do  you?

Problem is these people today just want a lazy life on benefits that is the difference! Of course Western Europe need these people to work and fill the job market as workers are drying up.. but in a few years time they will realize  what a big mistake they made..

But they do not give a shit any way, they send their kids to private schools, live away from the riff riff  :laugh:

Offline Halo

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 03:11:54 PM »
Yeah these people are refugees I don't dispute that.... very different to the ones who turn up in Rubber boats in the UK...and making selfies on the Dover cliffs..usually young guys in their 20's wanting an easy life..

The vast majority of those making their own way to the UK are not Syrian.  They are Iraqi, Eritrean, Iranian and Albanian.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »

The vast majority of those making their own way to the UK are not Syrian.  They are Iraqi, Eritrean, Iranian and Albanian.

They are Iraqi, Eritrean, Iranian and Albanian.. You are correct there! But I don't care what country they come from and Im using "Syrian" as a generalization ..

lets just call them crooks in rubber boats for arguments sake..