The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: America is a much better place to live than the UK?  (Read 7360 times)

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
Re: America is a much better place to live than the UK?
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:15 PM »
The city I live in is very blue collar and does not allow panhandling or camping. There is a rather exclusive neighborhood up on a hill which has custom built homes starting at 600K. Guess if I win the lottery I could buy a home up there and sneer down at the plebes like Manny sneers at normies when he’s driving his Land Rover.  :laugh:

Less than ten miles away is a “progressive” city. Higher taxes and they allow panhandlers and camping. Camping means homeless people all over the city. Pay higher taxes and in certain spots get a lower quality of life. As usual liberals ruin everything they touch yet the lemmings continue to vote for them. If a panhandler shows up in my city our wonderful and kind Police give them a free ride to the progressive city.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My town has some rough and tumble areas. Some upper middle class and mostly blue collar. Plenty of good old boys with guns on their hips walking around, in grocery stores and Walmart. Lots of pickup trucks. Wealthy business owners tend to live outside in more rural areas in large homes on acreage.

A friend on Facebook just sold his house in So California and just bought a large newer house in Hilton Head, So Carolina. He probably got around a Million or bit more for his house in California and probably paid close to half for a better house in the South.

People are selling and leaving California in droves. Leaving a once great state being ruined by liberals and moving to Conservative states. Maybe So Carolina is the new California?

(I like the 6th home down from the top)
https://www.thealliancegrouprealty.com/results-gallery/?status=A&city=8820&photo=1&sort=importdate&proptype=SF&source=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_avQ9cvB4wIVEMNkCh104giMEAAYASAAEgLshfD_BwE

The prices you quote for homes in the USA are interesting:  The average detached home here is over 1 Million and only goes up!  As to your So. Carl. home for $600,000 sounds like our average "Down payment" here.

As to the actual question much rather live in Canada than either the USA or UK great places to visit, but not for living.

Those prices for a house are outrageous!

Guess your sky high costs must pay for recent Muslim immigrants.

You can get a 3 bedroom house in the Midwest for 40K.

You can get a very nice house here for only 299K.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Online yankee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
Nice thing about houses for $40K is that you can hitch them up to your truck and move them.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
Dear Confederate.  Just a note for clarity the immigrants to Canada you referred to actually walked across the border from the USA.  Just like between the USA and Mexico there is no fence to keep them on the USA side of the border.

Also you will find we have the fastest growing area here for High-Tech workers in North America so a lot of high priced talent seeking high end housing.  Meanwhile a lot of Asians continue to move here many of whom have started moving to Montreal instead of Vancouver or Toronto to avoid the high property taxes on foreign buyers.

Offline Confederate

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
Dear Confederate.  Just a note for clarity the immigrants to Canada you referred to actually walked across the border from the USA.  Just like between the USA and Mexico there is no fence to keep them on the USA side of the border.

Also you will find we have the fastest growing area here for High-Tech workers in North America so a lot of high priced talent seeking high end housing.  Meanwhile a lot of Asians continue to move here many of whom have started moving to Montreal instead of Vancouver or Toronto to avoid the high property taxes on foreign buyers.

Those immigrants you mentioned walked across the border because your pea-brain leader welcomed them to.

As far as the price of housing there’s simply no excuse for the lack of affordable homes in Canada that would justify the prices you mentioned.

Take a look at real estate in Akron, Ohio for example where the median price point is about 125K.

3 bedroom home for $46,500:

https://www.movoto.com/akron-oh/1040-neptune-ave-akron-oh-44301/pid_l9u6b4gukh/for-sale/

Now eat your heart out with this 5 bedroom 3200 sq ft Tudor style home for $134K:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/801-Dover-Ave-Akron-OH-44320/35433146_zpid/

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Online yankee

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »

Those immigrants you mentioned walked across the border because your pea-brain leader welcomed them to.

As far as the price of housing there’s simply no excuse for the lack of affordable homes in Canada that would justify the prices you mentioned.

Take a look at real estate in Akron, Ohio for example where the median price point is about 125K.

https://www.movoto.com/akron-oh/1040-neptune-ave-akron-oh-44301/pid_l9u6b4gukh/for-sale/

Now eat your heart out with this 5 bedroom 3200 sq ft Tudor style home for $134K:

Now, go to Seattle and find comparable housing.  I think you will find the prices very similar to Canada.  My step son bought a house in Lake Sammamish that is three bedrooms and worth about $900,000.  Who would want to live in Ohio?

Offline Confederate

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 12:29:37 PM »

Now, go to Seattle and find comparable housing.  I think you will find the prices very similar to Canada.  My step son bought a house in Lake Sammamish that is three bedrooms and worth about $900,000.  Who would want to live in Ohio?

I might want to. The PNW is getting overpriced. I really like that Tudor for 134K.

Lake Sammamish has always been expensive. Enumclaw is probably more my style.

Online yankee

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »

I might want to. The PNW is getting overpriced. I really like that Tudor for 134K.

Tell me about it. in 1991 I bought a house in Brown's Point and in two years sold it for more than 2x what I paid for it.  It is all of those Californians moving up there.

Offline Confederate

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »

Tell me about it. in 1991 I bought a house in Brown's Point and in two years sold it for more than 2x what I paid for it.  It is all of those Californians moving up there.

I went back to Washington state and arrived from California iirc in late 2007. Some guy tried to cut me off and he flipped me off solely because I still had CA plates on my car when I first arrived. Ignored him and kept going.

There were still people arriving from California and buying RE in 2007. I was one of them.  :laugh:

Offline Confederate

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »

These are new homes in Buckley near Enumclaw and then in Lake Sammamish and around Seattle.

400K plus for a house in Buckley. I think it’s safe to say the developers and banks are profiting.

https://www.connerhomes.com/find-your-home/communities/perkins-prairie/

Online yankee

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 07:45:38 AM »

These are new homes in Buckley near Enumclaw and then in Lake Sammamish and around Seattle.

400K plus for a house in Buckley. I think it’s safe to say the developers and banks are profiting.

Would love to buy a summer home/condo in the Seattle area but it is just two expensive to buy.

Offline Confederate

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »
^I hear you loud and clear!

Why don’t you like Ohio?

Akron is near the Great Lakes. Seems like it might be a nice area.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »

It's a good job your not thinking of relocating to the Westcountry in the UK , that price wouldn't even get you good sized garden shed..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Confederate

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »

You’re tipping too much. 15% will do and 20% if you feel the server was outstanding.
 :chuckle:

The Asian in me never tips more than 10% hahaa..... actually I have seen many restaurants do a mandatory 12.5% tip...really pisses me off.

I once tipped at an Asian Buffet in So California and the cashier looked at me like I was crazy. So I asked an Asian coworker about it and she said no Asians tip at the Buffet. So when I went back again I followed her advice. When in Rome....

Online Guile

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2019, 09:51:16 PM »

I once tipped at an Asian Buffet in So California and the cashier looked at me like I was crazy. So I asked an Asian coworker about it and she said no Asians tip at the Buffet. So when I went back again I followed her advice. When in Rome....

ah good ol' chinese buffets!  yeah no need to tip there.  sadly the quality of those places are poor. the Chinatown in London is littered with these buffet places, 10 quid all you can eat. I never go there :ROFL:

Haven't seen too many in LA last time I was there. The current craze is "food trucks" lol...usually ethnic cuisines. they aren't bad actually.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »

ah good ol' chinese buffets!  yeah no need to tip there.  sadly the quality of those places are poor. the Chinatown in London is littered with these buffet places, 10 quid all you can eat. I never go there :ROFL:

Haven't seen too many in LA last time I was there. The current craze is "food trucks" lol...usually ethnic cuisines. they aren't bad actually.

The current craze is "food trucks"  Sounds a little like "Food banks" They are pretty popular in the UK now.. even down in Dorset the local supermarkets have food banks for the people on small incomes..

What a state of affairs when your supposedly great country has to have Food banks..where you can get left over food and out dated produce...free if your nearly starving to death..funny most Russians would never believe you if you told them about the Food banks.. :laugh:

Next step up from the Food bank is Macdonalds  :sick0012:

Online msmoby

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »

The usual observation .. if you haven't been - how can you comment ? ........

For those of you - who - unlike our 'knowledgable' Sting - would like to try ..

Here's a top-ten gude ... though not a few are NOT in China Town ..

https://www.fluidlondon.co.uk/top-10/view/guide-to-the-best-chinese-buffet-restaurants-in-london

Offline Confederate

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 10:54:06 AM »

The current craze is "food trucks"  Sounds a little like "Food banks" They are pretty popular in the UK now.. even down in Dorset the local supermarkets have food banks for the people on small incomes..

What a state of affairs when your supposedly great country has to have Food banks..where you can get left over food and out dated produce...free if your nearly starving to death..funny most Russians would never believe you if you told them about the Food banks.. :laugh:

You are deeply confused my friend.

In Los Angeles and other large cities food trucks offer cutting edge cuisine often prepared by top Chefs.

Read and become enlightened.

https://www.visitcalifornia.com/attraction/great-la-food-trucks

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »

In Los Angeles and other large cities food trucks offer cutting edge cuisine often prepared by top Chefs.

Noooo it was just some sarcasm....

But the food banks in the UK thats all real... funny thing is when I was homeless some years back there wasn't a food bank in sight ...

I had to snare a few rabbits to survive.. :laugh:

Offline Confederate

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »

But the food banks in the UK thats all real... funny thing is when I was homeless some years back there wasn't a food bank in sight ...

Thought you came from a wealthy family.

Were you not speaking to them at the time?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »

Thought you came from a wealthy family.

Were you not speaking to them at the time?

My parents never gave me nothing!! They have the view "I never had anything given to me " No not wealthy but not bad off I guess.. My ex wife's parents are the probably amongst the most Wealthy in Dorset 5/6 big mansions that sleep 10/15 people , farms, land usual stuff farmers have down that part of the county.. they didn't even contribute $5.00 to our wedding.. :laugh:

Never gave any of their kids even a $1.00!! Had the attitude " I work hard for my money , no one ever gave me a free ride in life" Yes they do work hard 18 hours a day 7 days a week.. clearing cow shit and the sort of things you do on a farm..

We were married in Davey just outside Fort Lauderdale , I remember sitting in a cheap cafe with the ex wife and her parents came along ! I thought "Don't **** come in here" but yes they came on in, sat on our table and asked for separate bills.. :ROFL:

There are lots of people like this in the Westcountry. another local farmer who had land, farms holiday camps and rows of holiday houses also worked non stop around the clock, once the tractor fell on him, as soon as the fire brigade arrived to free him all he had to say to them was "Just cut my bloody leg off I got work to do"  :laugh:

As for me I do not expect anything from anyone never have and never needed to, never even claimed Social ..

Im perfectly capable of making my own way in life.. had nothing after leaving school and landed up making a fair sized print business working with some of the countries biggest brands.. Levi jeans, M&S , Tesco's and spent most of my time in London making contracts.. that went tits up unfortunately after a fair few years mostly due to a change in marketing and shops cutting back big time on Point of Sale merchandise.. the print game is pretty cutthroat ..

But you live and learn..

So this time Im going to do 10 times better but in the Motherland ... by the end of next summer I will be 85% to my target.. So remember this conversation and get back to me then so I can further enlighten you .. tiphat

Offline Confederate

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
 ^Separate bills and it was your wedding? Cheap basterds!

Good to know about your business plans Steveboy. Hope your plans come to fruition.  tiphat

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
:dh:^Separate bills and it was your wedding? Cheap basterds!

Good to know about your business plans Steveboy. Hope your plans come to fruition.  tiphat

Separate bills and it was your wedding? Cheap basterds!  Yea we got married at a drive through so ordered some champaign for after the wedding.. ex mother in law even had the cheek to ask why we never had any food..

What was even more funny is we caught her drinking other peoples champaign on video..

And lastly on the sad people they have several huge holiday houses  they rent out, Friday was always change over day so the first port of call for her was the garbage for any unused tins of food or un opened bottles of drink, they were always taken home for themselves.. like an illness ..

There are lots of people about like that and a fair few in the village I grew up in..

Probably why there are so many second hand and charity shops in the area... they love shopping at these places.. :laugh:

To save a few pounds..

Offline Confederate

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2019, 01:49:34 PM »
:dh:^Separate bills and it was your wedding? Cheap basterds!

Separate bills and it was your wedding? Cheap basterds!  Yea we got married at a drive through so ordered some champaign for after the wedding.. ex mother in law even had the cheek to ask why we never had any food..

What was even more funny is we caught her drinking other peoples champaign on video..

And lastly on the sad people they have several huge holiday houses  they rent out, Friday was always change over day so the first port of call for her was the garbage for any unused tins of food or un opened bottles of drink, they were always taken home for themselves.. like an illness ..

There are lots of people about like that and a fair few in the village I grew up in..

Probably why there are so many second hand and charity shops in the area... they love shopping at these places.. :laugh:

To save a few pounds..

Unbelievable. Can’t believe people can be that cheap.  :sick0012:

Offline Manny

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2019, 01:50:34 PM »

The usual observation .. if you haven't been - how can you comment ? ........

For those of you - who - unlike our 'knowledgable' Sting - would like to try ..

Here's a top-ten gude ... though not a few are NOT in China Town ..

https://www.fluidlondon.co.uk/top-10/view/guide-to-the-best-chinese-buffet-restaurants-in-london

I know a Chinese woman living in London temporarily and she said all the Chinese restaurants and takeaways she tried were terrible. Nothing like China, no proper hotpot, etc.

As we know Moby is fond of imaginary friends, so I'll counter that accusation in advance.

This from her WeChat feed yesterday, I'm sure Guile can translate.

I linked her to TripAdvisor where that place she tried has only three stars and many reviews in Chinese.

The place at number one on Moby's probably Googled list has only three stars on TripAdvisor. C'mon Moby. Try harder when trolling...........

Chinatown in Manchester isn't brilliant. I doubt London is much better. And who wants to eat for under a tenner anyway? You get what you pay for.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2019, 02:03:58 PM »
'Chinese' food, like Indian, is prepared to suit the local palate.

If you have had USAian 'Chinese' food it is very different from that found in the UK. It is different again in Spain -except where the market is for British tourists.

I know that some places, but not all, will offer the real Chinese menu to those who can read Chinese. Maybe your friend should ask? Probably still won't be exactly right though.

When I was in China, I ate Chinese all the time (except for visits to MacDonalds where the food was not the same as in Britain, even if the menu items were nominally the same). The food we ate was always a surprise but I found very little that I'd recognise in the UK apart from some stuff in batter (god knows what animals we ate in the batter though!).

In the UK, I tried to eat where Chinese ate. In Nottingham there were a few places like that, but as I haven't done that in decades god knows how it is now.

Years ago, I was fortunate to enjoy a shared meal with the staff in a local Indian. Plain mutton in rice, it was gorgeous. In a green gravy, the meat was tough as old boots but tasted gorgeous.

By the way, KFC is another one that has the same menu items but the taste is different. The French even use different cuts of chicken in their KFC meals - Huge chunks of meat rather than the clearly identifiable bits of the breast, wing or leg that we see here.

Your friend's dish looks quite appetising though. I think she did OK there, but of course, I can't taste it. :)

I and all my imaginary friends were with me on all these occasions and they all laughed at the howlers that all the cooks made when preparing food for British tastes.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!