The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: America is a much better place to live than the UK?  (Read 23474 times)

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: America is a much better place to live than the UK?
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
I'm told Las Vegas has a lot of these places, but I have no desire to visit.

I was there last year.  You can visit, NYC, Paris, Egypt, Camelot, Monaco, New Orleans, Polynesia, Caribbean, Venice, and Hollywood, all in one place.  Big savings on your travel costs.  :chuckle:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:15 PM »
Oysters, yes they are tasty. An acquired taste. Though I do not care much for the oysters of the Chesapeake. While I have had oysters in Paris at La Coupole. The best oysters I ever have had were on Cuttyhunk Island. Really cute mid-western college girls shucking them as you stood above on the deck of your vessel. I know a bit pervy. Latter I met the owner of the farm and that the majority of Oysters went to France including La Coupole. For what it is worth an oyster is alive as you swallow it, you can watch it contract as you squeeze a lemon on it.

Here is a song mentioning oysters.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2019, 09:17:47 PM »
Could be wrong but I would think that Fish and Chips is very good to great through out the UK.

Certainly there are probably many starred restaurants in London. However the USA does very well with very edible yet affordable chains such as Olive Garden, Outback, etc.

If one eats out more than Manny does then one has a better chance of finding the gems.

Could be wrong but I would think that Fish and Chips is very good to great through out the UK.

I love fish and chips!! Its one of the only things I miss in Russia and lyme Regis in Dorset does some of the best around..

We spent a week at my parents last month ate Fish&Chips, Lobster, Salmon and Scollops all week.. If you want some good seafood and real Fish&Chips cooked right in front to you then the "Pilot Boat Inn" Lyme Regis is unbeatable..

Also miss the Oysters.. they just are not the same in Russia..always have a few plate full in Harrods .. sat their with a load of stuck up assholes who don't know a Scollop from an Oyster .. :laugh:

Oooo and mushy peas...

Sounds really good Steveboy. Not sure if I’ll ever make it to the UK but if I do I’ve got a couple of very good recommendations from you and Manny.  tiphat

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
Certainly there are probably many starred restaurants in London. However the USA does very well with very edible yet affordable chains such as Olive Garden, Outback, etc.

The US has a lot of excellent restaurants, all over the country.  A lot of them are in the $150 plus per plate price range.  I'm told Las Vegas has a lot of these places, but I have no desire to visit.

San Francisco has a lot of great restaurants, it's very much a foodie culture, lots of money, and a lot of organically grown regional produce.

Chain restaurants generally are a way to fill your belly, usually not much more.  Most of the food is prepackaged and then cooked on site.  Dishes with produce are not.  The one thing they are good for is consistency of the prepackaged foods.

Olive Garden has great salads and excellent pasta, what more could you want?  :laugh:

Seriously though you most definitely don’t need to spend $150 a plate. $35 to $50 a plate in the USA and you can get excellent produce with your entree, if that’s what you’re looking for.

You may not like the gambling part of Vegas but the buffet’s are top notch at the better Hotels.

* San Francisco has gone to hell in a hand basket, no thanks.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
Oysters, yes they are tasty. An acquired taste. Though I do not care much for the oysters of the Chesapeake. While I have had oysters in Paris at La Coupole. The best oysters I ever have had were on Cuttyhunk Island. Really cute mid-western college girls shucking them as you stood above on the deck of your vessel. I know a bit pervy. Latter I met the owner of the farm and that the majority of Oysters went to France including La Coupole. For what it is worth an oyster is alive as you swallow it, you can watch it contract as you squeeze a lemon on it.

Here is a song mentioning oysters.

What are College girls good for if not to arouse us guys?  :laugh:

Online Guile

« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »
I didn't find that many good fish and chip places in London, but that's cause we get so much better fresh fish on the west coast here. seafood too, no comparison.

Confed you forgot Cheesecake Factory!! for a chain they are actually pretty tasty.

Andrewfi- You can't compare Food trucks to restaurants. You have to think of them as high end street food.  Like if you just went out clubbing and want a shawarma or something in London. 

San Fran has become a liberal town with weirdos in rainbows. Moby would fit right in!!  The latest is the banning of water bottles at the SF Airport:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/595240/san-francisco-international-airport-bans-plastic-water-bottles

WTF. they will still allow soft drinks and all the bad sugary crap but not water.  Like those cafes where I ask for a plastic straw and they have banned them in favor of paper ones.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2019, 02:10:38 AM »
He is right though. UK restaurants generally suck.

Says the guy who liks his duck meat cooked 'bien cuit' ;)

There are lots of good foodie places- esp in my old stomping ground of Cheshire..

As for Scotland - they  seem  to have less chain restaurants..

Had a GREAT meal in Fort William watching drowned rats with umbrellaswalking along the front in driving rain over the May Bank Holiday ..

https://bennevisbarfortwilliam.com/

Had been taken over by  new management  - so beware of any rating prior to April '19

Be sure to visit, Rosco !

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Food in Ukraine.
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2019, 02:36:26 AM »
This past week in Carparthia we have enjoyed fresh local fruit and vegetables along with local dairy products, (freshly churned butter and cheeses) along with great shashlik, saucisski and ribs. Fresh pork- great.

Also locally picked mushrooms and berries.
A meal for two would set you back about UAH1000 including chai and a drink or two.
Oh, did I mention the peaches? Just sublime.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2019, 03:06:49 AM »

If one eats out more than Manny does then one has a better chance of finding the gems.

I love fish and chips!! Its one of the only things I miss in Russia and lyme Regis in Dorset does some of the best around..

We spent a week at my parents last month ate Fish&Chips, Lobster, Salmon and Scollops all week.. If you want some good seafood and real Fish&Chips cooked right in front to you then the "Pilot Boat Inn" Lyme Regis is unbeatable..

Also miss the Oysters.. they just are not the same in Russia..always have a few plate full in Harrods .. sat their with a load of stuck up assholes who don't know a Scollop from an Oyster .. :laugh:

Oooo and mushy peas...

Sounds really good Steveboy. Not sure if I’ll ever make it to the UK but if I do I’ve got a couple of very good recommendations from you and Manny.  tiphat

We will be heading to California sooner rather than later.. been meaning to come for the last two years but work and things have no time for a long holiday... but soooooonnn.. ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
I didn't find that many good fish and chip places in London,

London? Is there such a thing as halal fish and chips?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »

There are lots of good foodie places- esp in my old stomping ground of Cheshire..

Had a GREAT meal in Fort William watching drowned rats with umbrellaswalking along the front in driving rain over the May Bank Holiday ..

Had been taken over by  new management  - so beware of any rating prior to April '19

Have you been visiting Northern Scotland?

Perhaps the old Academy you were left as an orphan?  :chuckle:

Offline Contrarian

Re: Food in Ukraine.
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
This past week in Carparthia we have enjoyed fresh local fruit and vegetables along with local dairy products, (freshly churned butter and cheeses) along with great shashlik, saucisski and ribs. Fresh pork- great.

A meal for two would set you back about UAH1000 including chai and a drink or two.

Bet you are happy to get out of that oppressive heat you were experiencing in the Middle East!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2019, 02:44:21 AM »

Have you been visiting Northern Scotland?

The Highlands, laddie.. to me N.Scotland is much further up..

Perhaps the old Academy you were left as an orphan?  :chuckle:

This 'orphan' lost his Dad in his forties and still has his Ma...

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »

Been there. The wife and I popped in with our dog on an evening stopover, heading home from Skye.

We stayed and ate at the Lime Tree. A brilliant place to stay and the food is what I would loosely describe as Scottish. We get pigeon holed as a deep fry nation but food on menus like this, is what I now associate Scotland for, with loads of places like this the country over.

Menus on the link if anyone’s interested.

https://www.limetreefortwilliam.co.uk/

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »

Bet you are happy to get out of that oppressive heat you were experiencing in the Middle East!
Definitely. That’s why we chose to go there.
Arrived in Tbilisi today so it’s a bit warmer but still very pleasant. Been walking around the old city this evening.

Who knows, I might spot the Mobster.  :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »

Look for a skinny middle-aged bird hawking bikinis and spitting out sunflower seeds and he won't be far away. Sitting with a group of avid listeners as he shares howlers with them.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »

Been there. The wife and I popped in with our dog on an evening stopover, heading home from Skye.

We stayed and ate at the Lime Tree. A brilliant place to stay and the food is what I would loosely describe as Scottish. We get pigeon holed as a deep fry nation but food on menus like this, is what I now associate Scotland for, with loads of places like this the country over.

That menu, the hotel and the gallery look great Rosco. Thanks for sharing!

Online Guile

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »

London? Is there such a thing as halal fish and chips?

I believe they make a halal tartar sauce  :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Online Guile

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2019, 05:07:06 PM »

Look for a skinny middle-aged bird hawking bikinis and spitting out sunflower seeds and he won't be far away. Sitting with a group of avid listeners as he shares howlers with them.

if you hear the words "daft, howler, muppet, tosh, obfuscate" spoken then you'll know it's him... or heavily accented 3 word Russian phrases :ROFL: :ROFL: that's about the extent of his "fluency" in Russian.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2019, 02:26:55 AM »

Andrewfi, Tbilisi is inland and SC is in Sochi..

@ DS... Meet me, if you dare...

In the meantime, if you are your expenses permit , ask someone to you dine at the Old Wine Factory N1...

It is above the Hard Rock Cafe.. 10 mins walk north of Rustavelli Metro stn.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-d15010779?m=19905

Download Bolt taxi app..pay in local cash..costs peanuts

Offline Manny

« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »

Wifey would love that. I am struggling with that menu to be honest. Not big into fish, dont do much rabbit, duck or game. I could manage the haggis maybe. Why no steak or chicken I wonder?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »

Wifey would love that. I am struggling with that menu to be honest. Not big into fish, dont do much rabbit, duck or game. I could manage the haggis maybe. Why no steak or chicken I wonder?

It had lamb on the menu. Most people like lamb, I love it!

My favorite meal out ever featured lamb.

*You might consider calling ahead. If you gave them advance notice, they would probably be willing to prepare some chicken for you.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »

Never forget the specials!!  ;D

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:20 AM »
Never saw any food trucks in this area.. ?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Some councils – including Brighton, Cardiff, Ealing and Bristol – are using shipping containers as temporary accommodation for families, which become very hot in summer and are often not properly designed with children in mind, according to the report.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/child-homeless-shipping-containers-office-blocks-housing-a9071726.html
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Registration