General Discussion > General Chat

America is a much better place to live than the UK?

(1/54) > >>

Contrarian:

--- Quote from: Guile on July 17, 2019, 01:54:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: 2tallbill on July 17, 2019, 06:42:50 AM ---
Fear about travel to China? I haven't heard that one before,
is it new?

I'm not sure why you need to do your occasional American bashing. 
I don't like following up with my version of UK bashing, since it lumps
in a bunch of guys that I like around here.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, not sure about the China thing.  Much safer than N.Korea.  I noticed that anti-American sentiment too...reality is America is a much better place to live than the UK.

--- End quote ---

tiphat

Word! Hearts are a breaking in the peanut gallery.  :laugh:

Manny:
I'd suggest not. If it were I'd live there instead.

andrewfi:

--- Quote from: Manny on July 18, 2019, 11:44:43 AM ---I'd suggest not. If it were I'd live there instead.

--- End quote ---

Having had more than one opportunity to do just that, I did not.

The United States is, in many ways, a great place. There are some nice places to live - but most Americans don't live in them.

The idea of the United States is a great one - but it is no longer anything but a dream, a dream more of the past than the future.

The first time I chose to not move to, and live in, the USA was around 30 years ago. The reasons for my choice stand today.
The second time I chose to not do so was much more recent, but the dream of the United States is, today, even further in the past than it was 3 decades ago. I did not make the choice to go.

But then I do not spend so much time in the UK either. I am fortunate enough to have a life that does not make one's living location a binary choice.

Manny:
I think it's true that if you have enough money to insulate yourself from the stuff you dont like, you can live anywhere quite happily.

Earning that money abroad is the thing. Many can't make what they do portable enough.

I *could* live in the US quite happily with enough money I suppose, but it would likely cost more than it does here to live a similar lifestyle in a place where I'd actually want to live. I once considered it, and it's easy enough to do once there, but there are better places without the many drawbacks. 

Wifey once asked me to live in Russia, I considered that and we even looked at property, but the infrastructure put me off.

We considered living in Estonia, bought a place too, but the country isnt big enough to make much money there unless you are totally fluent in Estonian and have a USP. Its OK there if you earn elsewhere.

I could live quite happily in the bit of China I go to. There is a very agreeable expat bubble to fall back on. But life would be easier there as a single bloke. That said, I do know an American guy who lives there with his Russian wife and teaches English. But teaching English is no great money earner, again you'd need a western income to fund a decent lifestyle. Not to mention speaking Mandarin.

For me, the UK is better. I certainly prefer it over the places I've been in the US.

Guile:
I actually prefer London to New York as a city to visit.. more charm there.  But to live day to day Los Angeles, SoCal area is very nice.  You got the beaches and shops and the sunny weather all year round.  and Cheesecake Factory rulz!!  If it's one thing America does great it is chain restaurants...

in London you got alot of crappy overpriced chains.  Angus steak house, Pizza express, Jamie Olivers, Carluccios hahaha

I wouldn't live in China either. Too crowded and polluted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version