The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Armageddon?  (Read 12649 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Armageddon?
« on: July 09, 2019, 09:19:55 PM »
What would a war between Iran and the USA look like? Would Russia quickly enter the war on behalf of Iran? Let’s say initially no. Well guess what? A war just against Iran won’t be a picnic. Iran is no pushover, like Iraq was. Not sure we really “won” that war either. More like a stalemate. So here’s the deal:

It’s for these reasons that the private intelligence firm Stratfor called Iran a “fortress” back in 2011. If Trump chose to launch an incursion, he’d likely need around 1.6 million troops to take control of the capital and country, a force so big it would overwhelm America’s ability to host them in regional bases. By contrast, America never had more than 180,000 service members in Iraq.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/world/2019/7/8/18693297/us-iran-war-trump-nuclear-iraq

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Armageddon?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
The US had no idea what to do in Iraq if they won. Had no idea about the inevitable resistance, no plan to resolve the issues that they caused by invading and, yes, hard to see what transpired as a victory - but then the conditions for victory were never planned.

I have no idea about the numbers Stratfor suggest but for sure, there would be no 'victory' that's clearly outside the capabilities of the US nowadays.

On the other hand, for the same kinds of reason, that's why there is no likelihood of Russia acting as the US and NATO claim. Russia has no way to even subdue and hold the Baltic states or Ukraine. Russia is happy to buy what they want from Europe and Ukraine. Cheaper, safer, more effective.

The horrible thought is what happens if by dint of incompetence the US stumbles into war with Iran?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
The US only invades places that cant fight back. They just threaten everyone else. Iran can fight back so nothing will happen.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
The US only invades places that cant fight back. They just threaten everyone else. Iran can fight back so nothing will happen.

I hope you’re right, that nothing will happen.

I’m pretty sure if Hillary were Prez she would have already started WWIII.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
The US had no idea what to do in Iraq if they won. Had no idea about the inevitable resistance, no plan to resolve the issues that they caused by invading and, yes, hard to see what transpired as a victory - but then the conditions for victory were never planned.

I have no idea about the numbers Stratfor suggest but for sure, there would be no 'victory' that's clearly outside the capabilities of the US nowadays.

On the other hand, for the same kinds of reason, that's why there is no likelihood of Russia acting as the US and NATO claim. Russia has no way to even subdue and hold the Baltic states or Ukraine. Russia is happy to buy what they want from Europe and Ukraine. Cheaper, safer, more effective.

The horrible thought is what happens if by dint of incompetence the US stumbles into war with Iran?

Well the link I provided lays out some pretty bleak and realistic scenarios of what could happen. 

Iran has nearly three times the amount of people Iraq did in 2003, when the war began, and is about three and a half times as big. In fact, it’s the world’s 17th-largest country, with territory greater than France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, and Portugal combined.

The geography is also treacherous. It has small mountain ranges along some of its borders. Entering from the Afghanistan side in the east would mean traversing two deserts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/world/2019/7/8/18693297/us-iran-war-trump-nuclear-iraq

Offline Wiz

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
What If Iran Retaliates and Shuts Down the Strait of Hormuz?

President Donald Trump was recently interviewed on Fox Business and was asked about Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani’s statement calling the White House “Mentally Retarded” and if the U.S. was going to have a war against Iran and he said “Well, I hope we don’t, but we’re in a very strong position if something should happen. We’re in a very strong position. It wouldn’t last very long, I can tell you that.”

Well Trump is obviously in fantasy land or he is just incredibly ignorant of America’s recent history of losing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. U.S. troops have occupied Afghanistan since October 7, 2001 and Iraq since March 20, 2003. The Trump regime has no current plans of completely withdrawing U.S. troops from both countries especially those stationed in Iraq which is in close proximity to Iran. But Trump says a war against Iran won’t last long. Well, let’s look at some of the facts in regards to what the U.S. military and its allies in the region would be facing if they pressed ahead with a military invasion. For starters, Iran’s military personal is estimated to be close to a million active service members and reservists. If attacked, rest assured there would be close to an additional 40 million eligible men and women who would gladly pick up a rifle and every other weapon that is available and fight the U.S. military to the end no matter what their political beliefs are. Iran has 82 million people and a land mass that is at least four times larger than Iraq. When it comes to military hardware, Iran has more than 1,634 combat tanks, more than 500 aircraft, 2,345 armored fighting vehicles, 34 submarines and 88 vessels. Iran has many capabilities including its most recent development of the Khordad 15 which is an air defense system that is “capable of tracking and shooting down six targets at the same time. The weapon was rolled out amid growing tensions around the Persian Gulf” according to RT.com. Washington will find out quickly that Iran is not Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya because once U.S. troops land on Iranian territory, body bags will begin to pile up rapidly.

READ More Here: What If Iran Retaliates and Shuts Down the Strait of Hormuz?
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 05:50:22 PM »

I doubt it if she were President right now.  She would not have pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal (since she was in the administration that agreed to it).  She would highly NOT have met Kim Jung Un at the DMZ.    :chuckle:   I think her policies might have followed along the lines of her husband and former President.  And any rapprochement of relations with Putin would be non sequitur.   :chuckle:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »

I doubt it if she were President right now.  She would not have pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal (since she was in the administration that agreed to it).  She would highly NOT have met Kim Jung Un at the DMZ.    :chuckle:   I think her policies might have followed along the lines of her husband and former President.  And any rapprochement of relations with Putin would be non sequitur.   :chuckle:

You’re off track. Per the urging of her puppet masters and per her own desire to prove herself “equal” to a man, she was planning to start a war with Russia over Syria.

In case you forgot she was heavily involved in running weapons from Libya to Syria.

She was heavily involved in the un-Constitutional overthrow of Gadaffi (we came, we saw, he died) and heavily involved in the plan to depose Assad and install a puppet government.

But alas Trump happened in the USA and Putin happened in Syria.

WTF do you think our Zionist controlled media has been so angry at Trump the past two and-a-half years? Their long-term plan for the “Greater Israel Project” was put on indefinite hold.

Do try to keep up!  :coffeeread:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/astutenews.com/2018/04/09/syrian-war-lies-and-the-greater-israel-project/amp/

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 06:39:05 AM »
World wars are needed to cull populations.. there is no other way, can't use sterilization to many liberals will be moaning.. :laugh:

So I would guess another one will be on the way any day soon..

When it happens Im still planning to be around!! What about this forum? I hope so as it will create a few interesting threads ::

How long does radiation sickness last?
my leg has stated to rot ?
Is it safe to eat the bread?
My sitting room has 20cm of some funny dust is it ok to vacuum it up?
I can't seem to get a connection with aunty flow in California what could be the problem?
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 02:22:52 PM »

Can you think of a country that you invaded or started a war with that can fight back since you lost the Vietnam war? Or even one with a successful outcome? Nope, me neither..........

Nothing will happen. Same as Russia, China, North Korea, etc. If they can fight back the war will be on Twitter.  :chuckle:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »

Can you think of a country that you invaded or started a war with that can fight back since you lost the Vietnam war? Or even one with a successful outcome? Nope, me neither..........

Nothing will happen. Same as Russia, China, North Korea, etc. If they can fight back the war will be on Twitter.  :chuckle:

Would seem that the United States fights alone in all wars by the comments of some here.  But really when it comes to war, can there be a winner?
The country with the biggest stockpiles of nuclear weapons most likely would be the victor, but what would be the prize.
Doesn't matter what country wins when there's nothing left of the world.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »

You’re off track. Per the urging of her puppet masters and per her own desire to prove herself “equal” to a man, she was planning to start a war with Russia over Syria.

In case you forgot she was heavily involved in running weapons from Libya to Syria.

She was heavily involved in the un-Constitutional overthrow of Gadaffi (we came, we saw, he died) and heavily involved in the plan to depose Assad and install a puppet government.

WTF do you think our Zionist controlled media has been so angry at Trump the past two and-a-half years? Their long-term plan for the “Greater Israel Project” was put on indefinite hold.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/astutenews.com/2018/04/09/syrian-war-lies-and-the-greater-israel-project/amp/

I don't think that foreign issues will be in the forefront had she became President.  Obamacare would not have been rescinded.  The staff turnover rate would have been much less.  She might be the type to be more willing to accept the views of her advisors and staff.

Now, it looks like it is the Democrats who are playing the "dove" with regards to Iran.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/07/11/house-poised-block-trump-launching-iran-strike-and-curb-us-military-support-for-saudi-arabia-yemen/1694058001/
 :popcorn:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
When it comes to war, it's not who's right, but who's left that counts.  :)
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »

Sure pal, whatever.

But just like clockwork the weaklings of the U.K., Sweden, France and Germany will be begging Uncle Sam to come and rescue you lemmings.

This time it’ll be from a dirty bomb your immigrants imported, or to rescue your “royal” family (of inbreds) from a plot, or to rescue what’s left of your population which doesn’t want to submit to Sharia law.  :coffeeread:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »

I don't think that foreign issues will be in the forefront had she became President.  Obamacare would not have been rescinded.  The staff turnover rate would have been much less.  She might be the type to be more willing to accept the views of her advisors and staff.

Now, it looks like it is the Democrats who are playing the "dove" with regards to Iran.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/07/11/house-poised-block-trump-launching-iran-strike-and-curb-us-military-support-for-saudi-arabia-yemen/1694058001/
 :popcorn:

You probably also believe that Benghazi was caused by a non PC video, right?

Yet another Hillary apologist. Check.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
Quote from: Manny didnt say

Can you think of a country that you Russia invaded or started a war with that can fight back since you they lost the Vietnam Afghanistan war? Or even one with a successful outcome? Nope, me neither..........

Nothing will happen. Same as Russia USA, China, North Korea W. Europe, etc. If they can fight back the war will be on Twitter.  :chuckle:
Or Russia will invade tiny Chechnya, Georgia, or Ukraine.

FTFY

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 12:26:26 AM »

1/ removing Iraq from Kuwait

2/ threat of US joining in to help in former Yugoslavia

3/ Removing Saddam....  The Kurds would certainly tell you things are better.

While 'Trampu' is in power you MIGHT have a point... 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline yankee

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »

Or Russia will invade tiny Chechnya.

Explain how Russia can or will invade Chechnya.  I thought Chechnya was part of Russia.  Kind of like the US invading Puerto Rico.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »

Explain how Russia can or will invade Chechnya.  I thought Chechnya was part of Russia.  Kind of like the US invading Puerto Rico.

That’s simple. Chechnya wanted to leave Russia and become independent. Sort of like when Crimea wanted to leave Ukraine (allegedly) and join Russia.

Russia didn’t want to acknowledge that Chechnya had declared themselves free and independent of Russia, so Russia invaded Chechnya with military force. In fact Russia used carpet bombing which killed a lot of civilians.

Russia likes to claim that the people of Crimea had a right to vote and leave Ukraine.

Except when the shoe was on the other foot and Chechnya wanted to leave Russia, the Russians would not allow it and committed some pretty heinous crimes in the process of forcing Chechnya to remain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Chechen_War

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Chechen_War

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
Errrm no. That's not what happened. Think of what happened in Syria. Much the same process occurred.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline yankee

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »

That’s simple. Chechnya wanted to leave Russia and become independent. Sort of like when Crimea wanted to leave Ukraine (allegedly) and join Russia.

Russia didn’t want to acknowledge that Chechnya had declared themselves free and independent of Russia, so Russia invaded Chechnya with military force. In fact Russia used carpet bombing which killed a lot of civilians.

Russia likes to claim that the people of Crimea had a right to vote and leave Ukraine.

Except when the shoe was on the other foot and Chechnya wanted to leave Russia, the Russians would not allow it and committed some pretty heinous crimes in the process of forcing Chechnya to remain.

Not unlike our war between the states??

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »

Sorry, entirely different situation. In an odd way long ago Confederate wrote about this. (the war between the States)
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline yankee

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »

Sorry, entirely different situation. In an odd way long ago Confederate wrote about this. (the war between the States)

So, you are saying that if all the Muslims in the US moved to, lets say Mississippi, and decided to form a califate that would be ok?

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »

Ron Paul would probably agree with you. Some American historians believe that according to states rights the Confederate states did have a right to leave the union.

Abraham Lincoln and others disagreed. There’s no doubt there were some Northern Yankee carpetbaggers who took advantage and profited from the demise of the South.

I think it’s different in that Chechnya is a much smaller part of Russia where as the Confederacy was close to being as large as the Union states.

The other big difference is Chechnians are of different ethnicity and religion than Russians.

Note that Russia claims they had to protect ethnic Russians from Ukrainians even though there was no evidence whatsoever that ethnic Ukrainians were going to harm or discriminate against ethnic Russians in Crimea or elsewhere in Ukraine. More like the other way around as Russians have shut down Ukrainian language schools and harassed and shut down Ukrainian Orthodox church’s as well as shutting down Baptist Church’s.

As always with Russia it’s a “do as we say but not as we do” situation.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 11:47:27 AM »

I don’t remember what I wrote. Could you possibly find this?

Registration