The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Awesome Russian Submarine  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
Awesome Russian Submarine
« on: July 01, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
This is something Russia should be proud of. I figure Cufflinks might like it also.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Awesome Russian Submarine
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »
This is something Russia should be proud of. I figure Cufflinks might like it also.

That is mega (bolshoi) sub. But is a big sub a good thing today?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 02:41:15 AM »
As the Russians declared about the UK's new aircraft carriers - they are 'targets' ..

Manny refers to 'propanganda', elesewhere and this Vesti vid spoke of what the world saw of 'Russian power in Syria '..

Those naughty people marching in Aleppo asking for democarcy and an end to rule by an unelected family dynasty sure saw that power .... 

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 03:20:38 AM »
Russian Federation is the
Largest country on the world.

I am sure everybody know that Russia Federation is the largest country on the world and has the most land borders with other countries in the world. Russia has land borders with: Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithiuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, China and North Korea. The Russian exclave Kaliningrad borders with Poland.

Compare the above with the USA citation.  They have common land borders mainly with 2 countries, Canada and Mexico both friendly!

Naturally whoever runs the country should take measures to defend and protect the country. It appears Vladimir Putin has done a good job and that is why is is popular with the Russia population.

My view always has been that Putin wants to leave his name in history, as the best ever leader Russia had. Not an Easy task  especially after the collapse of the USSR?

Together with China they are a formidable force to overcome from the financial and war mongers in USA and the ELITES of the Financial world..

I think he has found the right solution to protect Russia's Currency and economy. GOLD!

I also read yesterday the Russia now has it's own independent back up internet system, so if for any reason is attacked..... will switch to their own internet to continue business as usual.

We have plenty of time to see any new arrangements/actions by the war mongers......

MacDonald Tramp.... seem to respect him or.....who knows what he has been hiding that Vlad is aware of!

tiphat

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »
Russian Federation is the
Largest country on the world.

I am sure everybody know that Russia Federation is the largest country on the world and has the most land borders with other countries in the world. Russia has land borders with: Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithiuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, China and North Korea. The Russian exclave Kaliningrad borders with Poland.

Compare the above with the USA citation.  They have common land borders mainly with 2 countries, Canada and Mexico both friendly!

Naturally whoever runs the country should take measures to defend and protect the country. It appears Vladimir Putin has done a good job and that is why is is popular with the Russia population.

My view always has been that Putin wants to leave his name in history, as the best ever leader Russia had. Not an Easy task  especially after the collapse of the USSR?

Together with China they are a formidable force to overcome from the financial and war mongers in USA and the ELITES of the Financial world..

I think he has found the right solution to protect Russia's Currency and economy. GOLD!

I also read yesterday the Russia now has it's own independent back up internet system, so if for any reason is attacked..... will switch to their own internet to continue business as usual.

We have plenty of time to see any new arrangements/actions by the war mongers......

MacDonald Tramp.... seem to respect him or.....who knows what he has been hiding that Vlad is aware of!

tiphat

What does any of that have to do with the submarine?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 06:40:27 AM »
In this case the sub is smaller than the original concept. However, the sub needs to be large to do its job. Its job is to deter the United States from attacking Russia with nuclear weapons. If the RF is attacked then this sub, and others in the same class, will launch 72(?) large nuclear weapons to US targets, probably cities, rather than military sites.

The crew is only 107, the sub can remain silently submerged for months on end. I believe that this one is destined for southern hemisphere deployment.

One thing I have to note is this: it must take a special kind of man to crew these boats. When they go into action they know that the world in which they lived is already dead and that their lives will also soon end but they have the strength of purpose to take on and carry out these missions. Of course, the US has similar boats and similar men. As we have seen, albeit at second hand, the work these guys do seems to take a heavy toll on them.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 08:38:39 AM »
Odd almost eerie last week I just reread 'On the Beach'
“It's not the end of the world at all," he said. "It's only the end for us. The world will go on just the same, only we shan't be in it. I dare say it will get along all right without us.”
~ NShute, On the Beach
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:38:55 AM »
Saddened to learn of the deaths of fourteen Russian submariners in an apparent hull fire.

https://www.rferl.org/a/at-least-14-killed-in-russian-submarine-fire/30033324.html

My own little submersible is currently undergoing a full overhaul and I'm strongly considering the addition of a Halon fire suppression system. The outbreak of fire within a confined vessel (and especially within a vessel using O2 for cabin atmosphere replenishment) can be absolutely devastating. Prayers to the families of the victims. 
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »
Ultimate Comeback: Russia's Typhoon Class Submarine (The Biggest on Earth) Is Back
It now appears that Russia’s Northern Fleet plans to give at least one of its Typhoon submarines a new lease on life.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ultimate-comeback-russias-typhoon-class-submarine-biggest-earth-back-63986

A spectacular example of the Russian style of Bigger is always Better, much like Texans - the two Typhoons mentioned have been visible for years on Google Earth (Take a look) in Mothballs in Severodvinsk Shipyard both the size of smaller aircraft carriers and were rumored to be considered for conversion to underwater Oil Tankers in the Artic - with the Arctic melting and a year-round NorthWest passage giant Titanium Nuclear Subs no longer practical as oil tankers but these monsters scare the bloody Holy Haites out of the EUians and UKians... and other assorted SoyBoy Transfag militaries dominating the EU.

It pains me to say this as Satellites can now detect any interference in the Earth's magnetic AND gravitational fields and any combatant or merchant ship Surface or Submerged is constantly traced and subject to hypersonic missile attack and or Space Based SubRoc nuclear depth charges and the vessels' lifespan would be less than the time between Missile launch one and then launch two.

I suspect China has stolen said technology with their 400,000 Uni Students working as not so stealth Intellectual Property Intelligence Agents.

The Russians, of course, know this and likely have similar Satellite Capabilities so only sharpens the impulse for a first strike advantage.

Since they only refitted one Typhoon - magnificent monster though it is...  It is likely a PR Decoy for the Russians Real Nuclear Threat their Giant Railroad Car Mounted ICBMs that can be easily moved and hidden in a massive Russian Landmass web of Bunkers and launched within minutes at targets in the EU, UK, Radical Islamists World, NoKor, China (who covets all of Siberia and its Minerals and Rare Earth Elements not to mention Massive Typhoon's Titanium reserves) and of course the USA.

Looks like it is back to MAD or Mutually Assured Destruction...

To Quote/paraphrase the Irishman in Braveheart -

"The Almighty has us covered but I am pretty sure you lot are PHOCKED!"

NBF - Nuke Boats Forever!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »

That is mega (bolshoi) sub. But is a big sub a good thing today?

I know diddly squat about submarines. Did you watch the entire video? It must be a good thing, the damn thing is 9 stories deep!  :eeekk:

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
Saddened to learn of the deaths of fourteen Russian submariners in an apparent hull fire.

https://www.rferl.org/a/at-least-14-killed-in-russian-submarine-fire/30033324.html

My own little submersible is currently undergoing a full overhaul and I'm strongly considering the addition of a Halon fire suppression system. The outbreak of fire within a confined vessel (and especially within a vessel using O2 for cabin atmosphere replenishment) can be absolutely devastating. Prayers to the families of the victims.

RIP Sailors.

Someone might be in hot water over this:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the country’s defense chief to travel to a northern naval base to conduct a probe after a fire on a deep-sea research submersible killed 14 crew members.

Putin on July 2 called the incident a “terrific loss” and told Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to “personally hear reports” and direct the Investigative Committee to “definitely establish the causes behind this tragedy."

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »

RIP Sailors.

Someone might be in hot water over this:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the country’s defense chief to travel to a northern naval base to conduct a probe after a fire on a deep-sea research submersible killed 14 crew members.

Putin on July 2 called the incident a “terrific loss” and told Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to “personally hear reports” and direct the Investigative Committee to “definitely establish the causes behind this tragedy."

Yeah, very tragic event. Hopefully meaningful information will be gained during the investigation and similar mishaps will be prevented in the future.

Returning to the original topic, yes, that's an impressive submarine!
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
Deaths on subs are a hot button topic for Putin due the manner in which, as an inexperienced politician, he mishandled the Kursk incident. He learned several lessons from Kursk and applied them to his general demeanour and work style.

If heads need to, then roll they most likely will.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 02:35:31 AM »
Odd almost eerie last week I just reread 'On the Beach'
“It's not the end of the world at all," he said. "It's only the end for us. The world will go on just the same, only we shan't be in it. I dare say it will get along all right without us.”
~ NShute, On the Beach

Left a big impression on me as a teenager..as the clock ran down.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 02:48:59 AM »
Deaths on subs are a hot button topic for Putin due the manner in which, as an inexperienced politician, he mishandled the Kursk incident. He learned several lessons from Kursk and applied them to his general demeanour and work style.

If heads need to, then roll they most likely will.

Please enlighten us with what he has learnt.... 

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Unrelated to the thread,  but gave me a good chuckle as a few years ago Russian subs were armed with scissors to cut communications and internet, looks like they are at it again.  :chuckle:
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 07:51:13 AM »
Unrelated to the thread,  but gave me a good chuckle as a few years ago Russian subs were armed with scissors to cut communications and internet, looks like they are at it again.  :chuckle:

Tom

Why you don't try to find a woman.... or a man for that matter, if you are such way inclind  and stop posting ugly propaganda for IDIOTS, in an effort to derail this post, from your start channel....FOX?

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »

Tom

Why you don't try to find a woman.... or a man for that matter, if you are such way inclind  and stop posting ugly propaganda for IDIOTS, in an effort to derail this post, from your start channel....FOX?

Wiz, unlike you,  I am able to see humor in fake news.
I  on the other hand find your constant attacks on posters instead of the posts,  very childish.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
[Trolling removed]

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »

The Russian exclave Kaliningrad borders with Poland.

and Lithuania...

Naturally whoever runs the country should take measures to It appears Vladimir Putin has done a good job and that is why is is popular.who knows what he has been hiding that Vlad is aware of!

The diminutive for Vladimir is ..

Vova...

not 'Vlad'...

As to popularity.. you might like to read up or interact with more  Russians ..

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/poll-shows-russia-trust-putin-falls-time-190122184309853.html

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 01:17:07 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-48949113

From another era:s disaster .......radiation leaks

Norway has found a radiation level 800,000 times higher than normal at the wreck of a Russian navy submarine.

The Komsomolets sank in the Norwegian Sea in 1989 after a fire on board killed 42 sailors.

A sample showed radioactive caesium leaking from a ventilation pipe, but researchers said it was "not alarming", as the Arctic water quickly diluted it.

Registration