The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Summer Grilling  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Summer Grilling
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
Greek Easter in Corfu on the 28 April 2019

During our Greek Easter in Corfu , last April, on Easter Sunday we were invited to a friend' house for lunch. As it is custom, almost all Greek houses cook Lamb on the spit, at Easter.

My friend apart from a large house, he has also a very large land around , so he created his own BBQ or oven cooking area with motorised Spits....plus sink with running water and also Gas cooker too. During the winter he covers the area with plastic and no problem with cold or bad weather.

Here is the result of the fantastic tasty cooking before we eat it all.......10 people.

i still hope I can win the Lotto and move there to live!

Meanwhile at the end of July we are going back to Corfu, for a wedding and few days in the sun. September back to Menorca and later in November few days in the Costa Del Sol.....

tiphat

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
Very nice outdoor BBQ Chris.

You should have built an outdoor pizza oven while having that done.  :chuckle:

Then you could have really gone to town on the al fresco dining.

tiphat

We have enough with what we have got, don't eat many pizza's so wouldn't get a lot of use out of one.
Слава Україні

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »

I hosted one barbeque this year for 20 people and will host another 4th of July. I did all the cooking. I use charcoal. Tried propane once and doesn't taste as good.

I had two rib steaks all ready for the grill. Went out to the propane barbecue and it was out of propane. So what do you do? Throw some wood in the fire pit, grab the grills out of the barbecue and go at it!

This happened at the start of May and I still never went and got the tank refilled. Propane barbecues are convenient, but yeah, it sure doesn't compare to wood or charcoal. A guy forgets about these things sometimes

Offline Wiz

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 06:29:54 AM »

I hosted one barbeque this year for 20 people and will host another 4th of July. I did all the cooking. I use charcoal. Tried propane once and doesn't taste as good.

I had two rib steaks all ready for the grill. Went out to the propane barbecue and it was out of propane. So what do you do? Throw some wood in the fire pit, grab the grills out of the barbecue and go at it!

This happened at the start of May and I still never went and got the tank refilled. Propane barbecues are convenient, but yeah, it sure doesn't compare to wood or charcoal. A guy forgets about these things sometimes

:thumbsup:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline dnhptrs7

• Visa Help
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »

In Philippines they grill a whole pig and looks so delicious.

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »

In Philippines they grill a whole pig and looks so delicious.

I've alway wondered how they drill that spit through the animal so straight and true… any ideas?
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Wiz

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »

I've alway wondered how they drill that spit through the animal so straight and true… any ideas?

While they hang the pig to drain the blood, they open their belly and take out everything......and when is clean..... they stick the spit through easily starting from the backside......hole

Through the open belly they use metal wire to secure the spinner colon to the spit..... and finally they sewing the belly and the neck....... having put salt etc.....inside the belly, neck and anywhere they want.

In Greece they use motorised spits.......and sit and watch.... see previous photos with the lamb. Fire is always low........ to cook nicely!

tiphat

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 02:15:15 PM »

While they hang the pig to drain the blood, they open their belly and take out everything......and when is clean..... they stick the spit through easily starting from the backside......hole

Through the open belly they use metal wire to secure the spinner colon to the spit..... and finally they sewing the belly and the neck....... having put salt etc.....inside the belly, neck and anywhere they want.

In Greece they use motorised spits.......and sit and watch.... see previous photos with the lamb. Fire is always low........ to cook nicely!

tiphat

No kidding… so that's how they do it. I always wondered. Thanks Wiz.  tiphat
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »

tiphat

That procedure reminds me of good ‘ol Vlad!  :chuckle:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/thumb/800.422.https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/impale-og.jpg

Offline Wiz

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
A Greek hero that was killed like that......
by the Turks.

Athanasios_Diakos

and that is my home town where I was born!

EPIRUS - IOANNINA

tiphat

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
How to grill a Cowboy sized steak!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »
Smoked King Salmon!

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
Moveable Feast on Fine Cooking TV featuring Chef Curtis Stone travels to Seattle, Washington.

Online Guile

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »
Moveable Feast on Fine Cooking TV featuring Chef Curtis Stone travels to Seattle, Washington.

that salmon looks gooooodd

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »

that salmon looks gooooodd

Indeed! And the video made me homesick.

Hope to be back for a visit in a few months.

Registration