The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Summer Grilling  (Read 980 times)

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
Summer Grilling
« on: June 25, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »
It’s that time of year again! Time to get out your BBQ! Steven Raichlen is my favorite Master Griller to watch on TV, with Bobby Flay being a close second. Who’s your favorite and what’s your favorite meat? Mine is brisket. Enjoy y’all!

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Summer Grilling
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »
my garden is not nearly large enough for some of that 🤣
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
It’s that time of year again! Time to get out your BBQ! Steven Raichlen is my favorite Master Griller to watch on TV, with Bobby Flay being a close second. Who’s your favorite and what’s your favorite meat? Mine is brisket. Enjoy y’all!

Those tortilla wraps look fabulous! Almost nobody does that here.

I like a barbie, and mostly confine myself to fillet steaks and Russian style shashlik (Mr Fi kindly sends or brings me my Swedish/Estonian marinades I got used to in Estonia).

My neighbours must think I'm weird as I'm the bloke who has the barbie going in all weathers; even in the snow. Steaks, chicken skewers or even sausages just isnt tasting right unless it's cooked over charcoal.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Confederate

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:09:56 PM »

I like a barbie, and mostly confine myself to fillet steaks and Russian style shashlik (Mr Fi kindly sends or brings me my Swedish/Estonian marinades I got used to in Estonia).

My neighbours must think I'm weird as I'm the bloke who has the barbie going in all weathers; even in the snow. Steaks, chicken skewers or even sausages just isnt tasting right unless it's cooked over charcoal.

Now that’s the spirit!!   :bow:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
I have a neighbor that operates a home business selling grilled items out of their garage.  They have a propane tank supplier.  Last Friday, I heard a big commotion outside coming from their place (sometimes the workers would argue about something).  This time, a big fire was shooting up out of the grill close to the side of the garage wall.  The workers were all jumping around trying to put out the fire.  It looked like the garage would catch on fire.  Then someone dragged the burning propane tank by the hose out of the garage out to a lawn area.  They tried putting water on it with little result.  Eventually, a guy dragged it behind the trash receptacle area and was able to put it out.  I thought for a moment that the tank could explode.  The fire department was not alerted.  Within the hour, the tank supplier was at their door and looking for the tank.  :scared0005: :o :rolleye0009: :hidechair:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online Confederate

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »
I have a neighbor that operates a home business selling grilled items out of their garage.  They have a propane tank supplier.  Last Friday, I heard a big commotion outside coming from their place (sometimes the workers would argue about something).  This time, a big fire was shooting up out of the grill close to the side of the garage wall.  The workers were all jumping around trying to put out the fire.  It looked like the garage would catch on fire.  Then someone dragged the burning propane tank by the hose out of the garage out to a lawn area.  They tried putting water on it with little result.  Eventually, a guy dragged it behind the trash receptacle area and was able to put it out.  I thought for a moment that the tank could explode.  The fire department was not alerted.  Within the hour, the tank supplier was at their door and looking for the tank.  :scared0005: :o :rolleye0009: :hidechair:

I wonder if a propane fire is similar to a grease fire?

Never put water on a grease fire!! Use flour.

Online Confederate

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
This is a very good and quick video of Bobby Flay grilling a ribeye steak on a charcoal grill. I like it real simple, just salt and pepper. Bobby keeps it simple and also adds some blue cheese to his steak. Delish!

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 02:00:28 AM »

:chuckle: Ha ha! me too, we have barbies in winter too, wifey loves them, slightest show of a bit of sun, but if not and too cold, we either put up a gazebo or cook outdoors and eat indoors, either way the food is always good. Yep, steaks, we have a local butcher who has well hung beef / steaks, pricey, but gorgeous  :)

That brisket in the video does look good though  tiphat

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
we either put up a gazebo or cook outdoors and eat indoors, either way the food is always good. Yep, steaks, we have a local butcher who has well hung beef / steaks, pricey, but gorgeous  :)

Same here, I just got a new Argos gazebo - I go through one a year as the weather kills them. Now I can barbie in the rain to eat indoors as you say.

Similarly I go to either Axons in Didsbury or Mettrics in Glossop for decent meats. Supermarket stuff is crap as you'll know.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Confederate

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
I went to a local BBQ place last evening and got a 1/2 pound of smoked brisket to go, only $7.98 and $2.99 for a side of mac n cheese. Heaven!  :)

Meanwhile here’s another very good BBQ video. Bobby Flay goes thru three different cuts of meat and gives some quick grilling tips.

Online Confederate

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »
we either put up a gazebo or cook outdoors and eat indoors, either way the food is always good. Yep, steaks, we have a local butcher who has well hung beef / steaks, pricey, but gorgeous  :)

Same here, I just got a new Argos gazebo - I go through one a year as the weather kills them. Now I can barbie in the rain to eat indoors as you say.

Similarly I go to either Axons in Didsbury or Mettrics in Glossop for decent meats. Supermarket stuff is crap as you'll know.

Nice photo!

I had a look at the reviews of Mettricks. Almost all 5 star reviews. It was a bit strange as one woman liked the friendly gal at the counter and another said she was so rude she left and preferred the Hadfield location. Suspect it was a different gal. That place looks amazing! I’ve always just gone to the local Supermarket without realizing a Butcher might be much better. Safeway and Fred Meyer (Kroger) are very good but I might try your suggestion and try a local Butcher.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mettrics+glossop+UK&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#istate=lrl:iv&lkt=LocalPoiReviews&rlimm=16976070779117462544

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 02:11:05 PM »

Glossop? I’m currently staying in Hayfield for the night before a meeting nearby tomorrow. Lovely wee village and good grub at the Pack Horse!

Online BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 10:02:37 PM »

I hosted one barbeque this year for 20 people and will host another 4th of July. I did all the cooking. I use charcoal. Tried propane once and doesn't taste as good.

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 01:38:58 AM »

Yes agreed, although we have Booths around here and their meat is actually very good and they do great rump burgers and great quality sausages, but they are an upmarket small chain of supermarkets, not your typical type.

A few pics of my set up, don't have many will have to take some when back from holiday

We have a set of those proper skewers like Manny has, bought from Ukraine, we generally use them when doing Sahshlik, we cook it on apple wood, have a few apple trees so they get a bit of pruning  :chuckle: when doing Shashlik

Online Confederate

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
 Very handsome grill and a beautiful setup Chris, congratulations!  tiphat

In this video our celebrity Chefs make chimichurri for their skirt steaks from scratch.
Enjoy!