The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chernobyl. HBO mini series  (Read 1117 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Chernobyl. HBO mini series
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:32:59 PM »
HBO mini series on Chernobyl will air tonight 9pm It looks to be interesting from the previews.
Have to wonder how accurate it will actually be?
I'm definitely going to tune in and give it a try.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/05/chernobyl-gruesome-riveting-fable-hbo/588688/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Chernobyl. HBO mini series
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »
TC, Thank you while I am not much of a TV guy I am recording this.

On a somewhat related theme I watched my brothers kids play some video game after a few minutes I realized it was set in Pripyat. Will try to find the name when I next see them.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:28:45 AM »
TC, Thank you while I am not much of a TV guy I am recording this.

On a somewhat related theme I watched my brothers kids play some video game after a few minutes I realized it was set in Pripyat. Will try to find the name when I next see them.

i remember. computergame is at least 10 years old. it shouldnt be hard to find its title
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
Just finished watching the episode 2, and so far it's been a pretty good show.  :popcorn:
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online msmoby

Chernobyl. on SKY Atlantic over on the right side of the pond ..
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 01:36:32 AM »
Slow burner - be patient - it gets better - Episode 1 makes more sense when you've seen episode 2

Mainly UK and Swedish actors.. Why DO US mini series use British accents to play Russian speaking characters ! ?

WELL worth watching  ( Tuesday evenings in UK ) and many of us owe the lives of our future UA / BY EST / LV partners to brave guys who prevented a second - more powerful and lethal Thermo-Nuclear blast - a few days after the initial blast  - if the series is an accurate portrayal

'Gorby' - thank GOD - didn't listen to his Political cronies- who assured him, " all was under control "

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »

Slow burner - be patient - it gets better - Episode 1 makes more sense when you've seen episode 2

Mainly UK and Swedish actors.. Why DO US mini series use British accents to play Russian speaking characters ! ?

WELL worth watching  ( Tuesday evenings in UK ) and many of us owe the lives of our future UA / BY EST / LV partners to brave guys who prevented a second - more powerful and lethal Thermo-Nuclear blast - a few days after the initial blast  - if the series is an accurate portrayal

'Gorby' - thank GOD - didn't listen to his Political cronies- who assured him, " all was under control "

Definatly worth watching,  I would have liked at least Russian accents at least.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:31:42 PM »

Online msmoby

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 03:21:30 AM »

Definatly worth watching,  I would have liked at least Russian accents at least.

There's enough Russian expat actors  living in London and the US to have achieved this ... The cast are mostly Brits  with the occasional Swede thrown in

What IS scary - is that those trying to cover up the explosion - and who had covered up the intrinsic design fault - many of the young KGB guys now run Russia and Belarus

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »

Online msmoby

Re: Chernobyl. HBO mini series - RU version blames the CIA?
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:21:33 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/49121139/russian-tv-s-leaked-chernobyl-drama-features-cia-plot

This might not be true..or exaggerated - as the  official version has notbeen released..

Russian TV's leaked Chernobyl drama features CIA plot
An apparent trailer of a Russian drama about the Chernobyl disaster, featuring a CIA plot, has been deleted from YouTube following negative reaction.

Registration