The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is FSU an outdated term?  (Read 2776 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Is FSU an outdated term?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »
While you 'might' not understand the term, in any context that anyone uses it, the meaning is always clear to all fully literate parties. It is not in any way inaccurate or outmoded and has no negative connotations. It is actually a more accurate and concise usage than most, if not all, alternates.

As always, I can not take responsibility for the lack of literacy of some people.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online yankee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »
While you 'might' not understand the term, in any context that anyone uses it, the meaning is always clear to all fully literate parties. It is not in any way inaccurate or outmoded and has no negative connotations. It is actually a more accurate and concise usage than most, if not all, alternates.

As always, I can not take responsibility for the lack of literacy of some people.

I never said that I do not understand the term.

You are more ignorant that I thought.  The spoken language tends to set whether or not words are used.  vocalizing USAians is very awkward.

What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »
Today new Ukrainian president elect, Zelenskiy, 41, said “While I am not yet president, I can speak as a citizen of Ukraine: To all the countries of the former Soviet Union, look at us. Everything is possible.”

In speaking to all FSU nations, he said "FSU". Apparently the term "FSU" is not outdated.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 04:09:32 PM »
Today new Ukrainian president elect, Zelenskiy, 41, said “While I am not yet president, I can speak as a citizen of Ukraine: To all the countries of the former Soviet Union, look at us. Everything is possible.”

In speaking to all FSU nations, he said "FSU". Apparently the term "FSU" is not outdated.
Andrew, can you please post the YouTube link here?
I was watching Zelensky's press-conference and speech, but i do not recall this particular phrase that you are quoting... :biggrin:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online BillyB

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
 Confederate posted a Washington post article in another thread of the translation. Here's what he said based on a Ukrainian news site translation.

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/582660.html

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »
What ever way you want to look at it "FSU" is going to be defunct in a few more years when it comes to dating!!

Most young women in the FSU countries cannot be called FSU women or anything like it, they are nothing to do with or never even knew the FSU  countries..

As for old women another 25 years and most will be on their way to their graves..Then it is finished for sure..

So anything to do with dating "FSU" is well and truly finished.. I guess you could think of it as chasing "Former Roman Colony" women from England.. :laugh: :laugh:

And also most guys who met their wives when the Soviet Union first split up will also be 6 ft under along with their FSU women in just a few more years.. so yes it's defunct now..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online yankee

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
For those of us that remember the USSR, FSU will remain in our vocabulary.  Obviously, for those born after perestroika, FSU will have less and less meaning.

Online BillyB

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »
Obviously, for those born after perestroika, FSU will have less and less meaning.

Seems like the leaders of nations continue to say FSU. Yesterday it was the president elect. Today it's the outgoing president in his concession speech. He said Ukrainians were unique among the peoples of the former Soviet Union. Seems like the go to term when referring to all nations in the FSU. The youth of today may continue to use the term for the youth of tomorrow.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/ukraines-president-delivers-concession-speech-after-comedian-wins-election/vi-BBWaFG5

Online yankee

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 06:12:51 AM »
Obviously, for those born after perestroika, FSU will have less and less meaning.

Seems like the leaders of nations continue to say FSU. Yesterday it was the president elect. Today it's the outgoing president in his concession speech. He said Ukrainians were unique among the peoples of the former Soviet Union. Seems like the go to term when referring to all nations in the FSU. The youth of today may continue to use the term for the youth of tomorrow.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/ukraines-president-delivers-concession-speech-after-comedian-wins-election/vi-BBWaFG5

When quoting me use the entire quote.

For those of us that remember the USSR, FSU will remain in our vocabulary. Obviously, for those born after perestroika, FSU will have less and less meaning.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »

Found it in original Ukrainian:
http://bbcccnn.org/zelenskij-poslav-potuzhnij-mesedzh-usim-krayinam-kolishnogo-srsr-podivitsya-na-nas-vse-mozhlivo/

“Поки я ще офіційно не президент, я можу сказати як громадянин України, всім країнам пострадянського союзу: подивіться на нас – все можливо!”, – сказав Зеленський, звертаючись до країн пострадянського простору.

So, "former soviet union" verbally.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online BillyB

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
When quoting me use the entire quote.

I see people quoting quotes of quotes of quotes. Drive me nuts trying to read. I only need to read a post once. Somebody will quote the entire 5 paragraphs of a post and then comment on one sentence and people have to dig into 5 paragraphs to find the one item to figure out what a poster is responding to. I like to trim out the unnecessary stuff and get to the point.

For those of us that remember the USSR, FSU will remain in our vocabulary.

I do not disagree with your first sentence so I didn't need to quote it.

I pointed out the Ukrainian president and president elect still talk to the masses using the term FSU when referring to all States of the FSU. As long as the current leaders of the nation continue to use the term FSU, it will continue to have significant meaning among the youth of those nations.

Registration