The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is FSU an outdated term?  (Read 6225 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Is FSU an outdated term?
« on: April 20, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
The Soviet Union closed its doors almost 30 years ago. To refer to the region as the FSU suggests that one is probably not to in touch with the region, the countries or the culture.

Try to think in a light that is less than 30 years outdated, more positive.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Is FSU an outdated term?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »
The Soviet Union closed its doors almost 30 years ago. To refer to the region as the FSU suggests that one is probably not to in touch with the region, the countries or the culture.

Try to think in a light that is less than 30 years outdated, more positive.

What would be a better term for referring to all women and region of the former Soviet Union?
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
If discussing Russia, then, perhaps Russia?

The countries in the region are now very different from how they were 30 years ago and different from each other.

Sometimes shorthand terms are helpful describing a disparate group of countries by a term that implies no longer relevant commonalities is misleading, unhelpful, and displays an attitude that is unhelpful and inaccurate.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
The countries in the region are now very different from how they were 30 years ago and different from each other.

Even in USSR times, I'd divide all the FSU republics in following groups:
- Slavic (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova);
- Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania);
- North Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan);
- -stans (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tadjikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan).

These "groups" are different from each other in many, many ways.
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online Guile

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »

What would be a better term for referring to all women and region of the former Soviet Union?

I would say just say the specific country instead.  It's like saying I like Asian women: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Thai, are all Asian but very different from each other.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
And how might one refer to groups of countries that share a history collectively?

In the dating sphere for example, people consider Belarus, Russia and Ukraine (mostly) and the discussion is framed around those countries. They are all former Soviet Union countries, why the issue with referring to them thus? They share a common history; that shared history brings much commonality among the peoples.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »

I would say just say the specific country instead.  It's like saying I like Asian women: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Thai, are all Asian but very different from each other.

I take your point with Asia, but there does seem to be more sub-ethnicities and self-defined cultural differences amongst those countries.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
Sometimes shorthand terms are helpful describing a disparate group of countries by a term that implies no longer relevant commonalities is misleading, unhelpful, and displays an attitude that is unhelpful and inaccurate.

Most men in this endeavor on a forum like this is looking for a Slavic woman. When I visited a woman from the past living in Uzbekistan, she was Russian, not Uzbek. She was more Russian than Uzbek. She was Christian, not Muslim. For me to tell everybody I visited an Uzbek woman in a trip report would be misleading. If someone mentioned they are looking for a FSU(former Soviet Union) woman, I would not have a problem with it. If someone said they are looking for a Slavic, Baltic, or woman from the Stans, to be more specific, that's even better.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »

Moldova isn't Slavic.  They are ethnically closer to Romanians than to Russians and so is their language. 

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »

Moldova isn't Slavic.  They are ethnically closer to Romanians than to Russians and so is their language.

They’re a mixed group of people with some pure Slavs in there. Would you turn one down who was attractive but more Romanian as you say?

At some point beggars cannot be choosers and the ones who look like Viking women could wish to exclude you as well.  ;D

Online Guile

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »

way to nitpick...I can see why you're a real hit with the ladies.  :chuckle:

Online Guile

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »

Most men in this endeavor on a forum like this is looking for a Slavic woman.

If someone mentioned they are looking for a FSU(former Soviet Union) woman, I would not have a problem with it. If someone said they are looking for a Slavic, Baltic, or woman from the Stans, to be more specific, that's even better.

Good point. when people say FSU they are referring to Russian ethnicity.  Not Armenian, Kazak etc...

What's interesting is that in Moscow I met a few mixed women.  Some had non-Russian names, father was from Arab or European countries.  But they grew up in Russia and culturally are Russian.

I met some half Armenian/Russian, Kazakh Russian women too. 

People I know don't say the term FSU, most guys will say "Russia" and consider Ukraine, Belarus to be part of it. the Soviet Union was before their time.

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »

way to nitpick...I can see why you're a real hit with the ladies.  :chuckle:

It's called having a brain, something you lack. 

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
mods, please assist in keeping the threads on topic. 

useless criticism doesn't help at all.  some people think this is elementary school where they can bully people. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
I do not think referring to FSU in the context of dating is wrong or even lacking in tact.

[off topic white noise removed]
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
mods, please assist in keeping the threads on topic. 

useless criticism doesn't help at all.  some people think this is elementary school where they can bully people.

Most criticism is not useless and if you think you’re being bullied you have a very thin skin.

Online Guile

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »

It's called having a brain, something you lack.

If you had a brain you wouldn't be asking about scams in Russia 8 years on after 10 trips! 

Online Guile

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »
Omega, 2 Russian ladies on this forum commented on your trip thread to Minsk in 2014.

What is going on in this world? ??? ??? :'(

ха ха ха. мы ведь не стоим на месте. мы меняемся вместе со временем.  :chuckle: я уже много раз это пробовала объяснить  :) . молодое поколение это не тот образ - и коня на скаку остановит и в горящую избу войдет .  :nod: мы уже давно другие. идем в ногу со временем

You didn't heed their advice then so you are stuck at square 1 now.

5 years ago I had never been to Russia, spoke zero Russian and knew no one there.  Now I have plenty of social and professional contacts there, speak enough to communicate and know Moscow better than some locals.

You are still worried about wallet dropping scams in Red square and if Aeroflot will crash.  There's something called "street smarts". I suggest you learn it.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
While fSU can refer to a former inhabitant of what was the Soviet Union to my thinking it is a reference to the historical borders. Since Russia and the fSU spanned two continents it is a convienyent way to define the region. The comment I am from the fSU is something that today is sometimes used by the youth there when traveling.

Really all FiFi is attempting to do is whitewash the history both of what was the Soviet Union and Russia.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Is FSU an outdated term? (Moldova)
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 01:47:46 AM »
Moldova isn't Slavic. 
They are ethnically closer to Romanians than to Russians and so is their language.

Yes they are - and Moldovan language IS, de facto, Romanian language (with a fair dose of Russian and Ukrainian words) - but, considering a) the amount of mixed marriages; b) religion (eastern Orthodox); c) the fact that all the population speaks Russian - I'd rather refer to Moldovans (when sharing ex-USSR territory in sub-territories) as to "slavic".

They are not "baltic", they are not "caucasians", they are not "-stans"...

P.S.
Am visiting Moldova 2-3 times a year for business, am even having a Moldovan SIM-card. So YES, I do have a first hand experience, and not just Wiki  :coffeeread:

There's plenty of Russian products in Moldovan supermarkets (tea, chocolate, even hand cream). The advertising on the streets is half-half (official - in Moldovan; practical and self made - shopping surface for rent, employee wanted - in Russian). Menus in restaurants are more often in Russian, than in Moldovan. There are local TV-channels in Russian; and even the most popular radiostation for the 25-50 y.o. audience is a Russian one (Retro FM).
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 02:55:31 AM »

Absolutely.
The still current habit of, particularly, USAians to group together hundreds of millions of people as being a single homogenous group using terms that became obsolete 30 years ago is lazy and ill-informed.

Worse than that, if one were to say to inhabitants of those countries that were part of the Soviet Union (and, of course, many people mistakenly refer to countries that were not part of the Soviet Union as being part of the 'FSU') that they were 'from the FSU' after being asked to explain just what you meant, the polite would then ignore you as an impolite idiot and the more sensible might be more overt about their disdain for your lack of knowledge and social graces.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 03:31:44 AM »
I do not think referring to FSU in the context of dating is wrong or even lacking in tact.

Your need to protect Andrewfi from himself and his double strandards is touching

Why don't you make a thread on if the term MOB is tactless and outdated ..like you usually do with my posts..then it can be on topic..?

On checking the Moby bla bla thread ..you'll note it gets more views than most other than 'Brexit' ...

I hope the readers gain as much amusement as I via your promotion of said thread ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Guile

Re: Is FSU an outdated term? (Moldova)
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 04:42:07 AM »
Moldova isn't Slavic. 
They are ethnically closer to Romanians than to Russians and so is their language.

Yes they are - and Moldovan language IS, de facto, Romanian language (with a fair dose of Russian and Ukrainian words) - but, considering a) the amount of mixed marriages; b) religion (eastern Orthodox); c) the fact that all the population speaks Russian - I'd rather refer to Moldovans (when sharing ex-USSR territory in sub-territories) as to "slavic".

They are not "baltic", they are not "caucasians", they are not "-stans"...

P.S.
Am visiting Moldova 2-3 times a year for business, am even having a Moldovan SIM-card. So YES, I do have a first hand experience, and not just Wiki  :coffeeread:

Omega...you better listen to the Russian woman who has been to Moldova  :ROFL:

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 07:35:15 AM »

Why don't you make a thread on if the term MOB is tactless and outdated ..like you usually do with my posts..then it can be on topic..?

Better still, as you have an opinion, why don’t YOU? Then it wouldn’t be off topic white noise here. Geddit?

Offline yankee

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
FSU is probably better than using USAian.  People know what FSU means.  Most do not know what USAian is.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Registration