The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Are Americans still going to Russia?  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Are Americans still going to Russia?
« on: April 19, 2019, 09:17:33 PM »
Maybe we can all provide our observations and opinions.  In a civilized manner of course. 

Are Americans still traveling to Russia? 

Offline yankee

Re: Are Americans still going to Russia?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »
My wife and I are planning a trip there in 2020
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online Guile

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 01:23:53 AM »
Omega, again what does this have to do with anything?   The only question is are you going to Russia and when?

I see you've been looking since 2011!!  and still at square one. 

I've been to Russia every year for past few years, worked there, made friends, dated, learned Russian.  There are many expats in Moscow.  People still go to Russia.

What's stopping you?

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 03:26:38 AM »
Omega, again what does this have to do with anything?   The only question is are you going to Russia and when?

I see you've been looking since 2011!!  and still at square one. 

I've been to Russia every year for past few years, worked there, made friends, dated, learned Russian.  There are many expats in Moscow.  People still go to Russia.

What's stopping you?

Guile you act as if you know me.  I've been to the fsu 10 times actually.  you're constantly criticizing my posts.  if you don't have anything positive, informative to contribute then move on to another post. 

Online Guile

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 03:56:28 AM »

Guile you act as if you know me.  I've been to the fsu 10 times actually.  you're constantly criticizing my posts.  if you don't have anything positive, informative to contribute then move on to another post.

If you claim to have been to the FSU 10 times and are still looking then something major is wrong.  Could it be FSU women just don't like you?

Online Guile

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:58:45 AM »
Last time I was in Moscow I met Americans.  So yes they are going to Russia.

Online Guile

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 04:04:52 AM »
I checked some of your posts from earlier...you made one thread about "Relocating to the 3rd World"...

You live in America so what bearing does that have on you..

Are you now thinking of going to a 3 world country to live?  Or were you jealous that some dude managed to bring a girl you dated to his country and because it was 3rd world you are thinking what the heck just happened.  And I right or am I right.

Online Guile

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:15:41 AM »
Omega man..some of your earlier posts are all the same.  Talking about scams in Russia, no Turkish/Muslim men on profiles...things which really have nothing to do with you.  You are an American white male from what I gather.  If you are even half decent, under 40, clean cut, have no addictions you should be cleaning house in Russia.  If you went 10 times over there and still couldn't find a girl then something is wrong man. 

I have seen the expats in Moscow. Many are degens who couldn't hack it in their own country.  Some end up staying for a long time and become successful.
Talked to the owner of the infamous Hungry Duck Bar in Moscow...he owns several other restaurants now and does pretty well from what I see.

How many Russian women do you have as friends, not even dating?  I have many.  Even if I didn't date them, guess what...they have female friends.  And if you show yourself worthy they will introduce you to them.  This is how you break into social circles.  I have a few friends who want to date a foreign man and ask me if I know people.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
Omega man..some of your earlier posts are all the same.  Talking about scams in Russia, no Turkish/Muslim men on profiles...things which really have nothing to do with you.  You are an American white male from what I gather.  If you are even half decent, under 40, clean cut, have no addictions you should be cleaning house in Russia.  If you went 10 times over there and still couldn't find a girl then something is wrong man. 

I have seen the expats in Moscow. Many are degens who couldn't hack it in their own country.  Some end up staying for a long time and become successful.
Talked to the owner of the infamous Hungry Duck Bar in Moscow...he owns several other restaurants now and does pretty well from what I see.

How many Russian women do you have as friends, not even dating?  I have many.  Even if I didn't date them, guess what...they have female friends.  And if you show yourself worthy they will introduce you to them.  This is how you break into social circles.  I have a few friends who want to date a foreign man and ask me if I know people.

I think he’s Hispanic. Lots of women like that maybe he’s too choosy, who knows.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
  If you went 10 times over there and still couldn't find a girl then something is wrong man. 

You have told us - THIS WEEK - that you have been over 10 times ...

Wasn’t he living there or teaching or being an expat or something? That’s not quite the same as helicoptering in chasing skirt.

But in any event I don’t think you can define success by number of visits (or rather, expect a given outcome after a predetermined number). You’ve been millions of times and still fell on your arse with the last one.

On the question of Americans still going to Russia, surely the answer would be “hopefully not and that way there’s more for me”?  I don’t think it matters too much what other people are doing, but I do think the OP has the heebies about being arrested randomly.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
it's a simple answer!

As long as Hollywood make stupid movies, the BBC and NBC keep making pathetic stories about Russia Americans WILL be traveling to Russia..

Yes they are still traveling to Russia for sure, but just not being as successful as 15 years ago..

Lots of Americans living in Russia .. that's a different story..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 11:51:59 AM »
it's a simple answer!

As long as Hollywood make stupid movies, the BBC and NBC keep making pathetic stories about Russia Americans WILL be traveling to Russia..

Yes they are still traveling to Russia for sure, but just not being as successful as 15 years ago..

Lots of Americans living in Russia .. that's a different story..

Steveboy,

Unlike RT - the BBC run many programs about Russia that paint Russians and their life - -in a good light

You didn't see  the series I recommended about Big cities ?  One was  Moscow
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Guile

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
[
Wasn’t he living there or teaching or being an expat or something? That’s not quite the same as helicoptering in chasing skirt.

But in any event I don’t think you can define success by number of visits (or rather, expect a given outcome after a predetermined number). You’ve been millions of times and still fell on your arse with the last one.

Exactly.  I go there for work and stay semesters at a time.

Moby's been with 2 Russian girls for decades, still can't speak Russian, showed petty vindictive behavior when he was dumped and rebounded well with his ilk.  Good job Moby.  Not to mention all your Russian "friends" who are chattin' it up with commentary on this forum. 

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »

If you claim to have been to the FSU 10 times and are still looking then something major is wrong.  Could it be FSU women just don't like you?

Guile my personal life is none of your business. 

And since you're such an expert, tell us how happily married you are and so on......

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »

Guile if you must know I have several Russian friends.  some have even stayed in my home in the us while on vacation.  I actually work for a company that has two offices in Russia and I'm also friends with my co workers in Moscow.  but you assume too much and you know what happens when people assume. 

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »
[

Exactly.  I go there for work and stay semesters at a time.

Moby's been with 2 Russian girls for decades, still can't speak Russian, showed petty vindictive behavior when he was dumped and rebounded well with his ilk.  Good job Moby.  Not to mention all your Russian "friends" who are chattin' it up with commentary on this forum.

Guile maybe the hippies can go to Russia "for a semester" and spend $20 per day and eat in canteens, but I work for a corporation with offices in 50 countries and I need to be in the us for 90% of the year.  I don't find temporary gigs making dva kopecks to be a success story, but maybe you do. 

Online Guile

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »

Guile my personal life is none of your business. 

And since you're such an expert, tell us how happily married you are and so on......

Well if you are asking for advice on a public forum for years on end you better expect to share some info, otherwise who gives 2 rubles who you are.

Who says I am looking to get married right now?  I am younger than you, date more and having a blast in life.  You are the one who's been posting the same thing for 8 years, still at square one.

Online Guile

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »

Guile maybe the hippies can go to Russia "for a semester" and spend $20 per day and eat in canteens, but I work for a corporation with offices in 50 countries and I need to be in the us for 90% of the year.  I don't find temporary gigs making dva kopecks to be a success story, but maybe you do.

like you said, don't "assume" anything about me.  I work for oligarchs and the super rich.  These people fly me to Russia, cover ALL expenses.  I get an apartment, travel allowance and a salary that is close to 6 figures.   I make more than double what you make as an office worker.

I have flown in private jets, stayed in 5 star hotels and luxury villas, chauffeured in Mercedes, had chefs cook me daily gourmet meals.

Basically I haven't paid for my own flight anywhere in the world for the past few years.  How much did you spend on your 10 flights to the FSU from Miami?  probably wasn't too cheap.

You seem to be a sensitive boy... some dude named Luke was getting on your nerves, and you thought andrewfi and lesled were mocking you when they were just telling the truth.

If I were you I'd learn to not be such a killjoy, lighten up and have fun.  That could be a big reason why the women haven't warmed up to you.

Who the hell wants to be talking about airplane safety records and how not to be scammed.... think about it.

Online Guile

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 07:57:18 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for all the valujable information and insight.  I think I am overly worried.  I have read a lot online about the scams and I have gotten scared, so that's why I was concerned about my financial obligations.  Nobody wants to be financially obligated to a scammer, and I have read a lot about them online.  I think if I take a conservative approch I will be safe.

This is a post you made 8 (!!) years ago. Yet you are still asking about scams now. Did you not learn anything in your 10 trips?

Your "conservative approach" is slower than a century turtle... ??? 

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »

I think he’s Hispanic. Lots of women like that maybe he’s too choosy, who knows.

Per the National Geographic's DNA test I'm 87% European and 12% North African.   :king:

not sure how this relates to the original topic.   :offtopic:

Online Guile

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »

Per the National Geographic's DNA test I'm 87% European and 12% North African.   :king:

not sure how this relates to the original topic. 

yeah now I read from his earlier posts that he is Cuban and worried cause he has dark skin how Russian women will perceive him  :chuckle:  They thought he was Turkish or Muslim.  North Africans are Arabs. 

European does not always mean that you are white Anglo Saxon.  My guess is you look more Hispanic. North Africans are Arabs, you probably have some of those features.

Again like Confed said, it's not about your race.  It's who you are.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »

not sure how this relates to the original topic.   :offtopic:

Topics wonder and my point is that some guys try to date out of their league. I don’t know if that is specifically the case with you it’s just a conversation.

Online Guile

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 11:43:11 PM »
what happened to Omegaman...did he get scammed again?