The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The real reason Boeing's new plane crashed twice  (Read 315 times)

Online Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The real reason Boeing's new plane crashed twice
« on: April 19, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »

tiphat

Online msmoby

Re: The real reason Boeing's new plane crashed twice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »

tiphat

FACT:  Boeing covered up a massive howler and people have lost their lives ..

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »
Wiz, a concise report. It hints to the shortcomings of the FAA and blind pursuit of profit. The report is repeating many of the known facts and suspect software flaws.

Boeing is being punished by market forces and it will be interesting to see how far they can recover.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Wiz

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:09 PM »
Wiz, a concise report. It hints to the shortcomings of the FAA and blind pursuit of profit. The report is repeating many of the known facts and suspect software flaws.

Boeing is being punished by market forces and it will be interesting to see how far they can recover.

A day or two, after the Ethiopian dissarter, I watched a video.... and a captain who flies the 737 Max..... made a comment that Boeing had introduced the auto correction of the angle taking off, but did not advised the airlines about it,  to avoid the stalling of the aircraft, so the pilots had problem controlling the take off.....because there was no instructions on how to disengage it! I remember when I heard that comment.....at the time, I thought that sound fishy to me .......

Well the subsequent events...moved fast and all 737 Max were grounded. As they say "Cutting corners" and bad design...it will be extremely costly. AIRBUS will be the winner and will recover their losses from the A 380 which was not that successful.

BTW the video made clear that was a design fault..... with the Larger Engines.!

Not enough hight from the ground, like all AIRBUSES....... pity about the dead people in both accidents.

Online BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:28:45 PM »
"Cutting corners" and bad design...it will be extremely costly.

Hundred thousand different parts and software in an airplane. Not everything will be perfect. Unfortunately new anti stall system had flaws although it was created with good intentions.

Boeing is being punished by market forces and it will be interesting to see how far they can recover.[/size][/font]

Boeing currently has a 737 Max backlog of over 4600 airplanes. An airline who placed an order years ago isn't going to cancel, give up their place in line to get in the back of the line for an Airbus 320 Neo. Cancelling will set back their company for years and they will lose their big dollar deposit. Cancelling over a short term grounding of planes isn't allowed per contract language. If by chance the line shortens, another airline will quickly get in line. They know a fix will be made way before their order arrives in 3+ years. Profits matter and if the plane saves them fuel and money, they will continue to buy.

Online Wiz

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 02:34:34 AM »
"Cutting corners" and bad design...it will be extremely costly.
Hundred thousand different parts and software in an airplane. Not everything will be perfect. Unfortunately new anti stall system had flaws although it was created with good intentions.

Billy,  did you listen to the Video and also read the first line of AV's comment regarding the FAA?

According to The Seattle Times, managers at the Federal Aviation Administration pushed its safety engineers into delegating the work of carrying out safety assessment of the then new Boeing 737 MAX to the aircraft manufacturer. The basis for this? The FAA didn’t have the resources to perform its functions by itself!

Additionally, the managers also pushed for a speedy approval process. Well, if you are wondering what could possibly go wrong in such a case, watch this video!

I copied the comments below from :10 Blunders that Could Ground the Boeing 737 Max Forever

While Boeing has had an otherwise commendable safety record since the 1960s, reports emerging regarding the 737 Max 8, since the Ethiopian Airlines crash (and the Lion Air crash before that) have suggested that it is a design flaw. The fault could lie with the aircraft maker.

In the Max 8, the activation of the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS). the feature is supposed to function automatically and only rarely, Boeing felt there was no need to train pilots.

The activation of the MCAS is dependent on input obtained from sensors designed to read the Angle of Attack (AoA). The AoA is the angle between airflow and the plane’s wings and which determines the aircraft’s risk of staling. While the 737 Max has two Angle of Attack sensors, MCAS only relied on one. In the ill-fated Lion Air jet, the readings from both sensors differed by around 20 degrees.

Billy I like flying and always had an interest so when an accident happens, I search and read......

Now for your information, tomorrow morning, I will be flying on an Airbus to Island of Corfu - Greece  for our Easter. I would not have a problem flying on a 737.....or on Tupolev and as Moby said.....  ;D

I am still here, despite that I have been on a Dan Air Comment 4 plane,  where the engine caught fire above the Alps ..... A British Airtours Boeing 737 sliding on the Runway  and finally stopping at the end.....with a bump, and a biplane without cover........holding my pants...... and finally a B 727 where the Captain started one of the engines... with his cigarette lighter, in Corfu airport.

Boeing is being punished by market forces and it will be interesting to see how far they can recover.[/size][/font]

Boeing currently has a 737 Max backlog of over 4600 airplanes. An airline who placed an order years ago isn't going to cancel, give up their place in line to get in the back of the line for an Airbus 320 Neo. Cancelling will set back their company for years and they will lose their big dollar deposit. Cancelling over a short term grounding of planes isn't allowed per contract language. If by chance the line shortens, another airline will quickly get in line. They know a fix will be made way before their order arrives in 3+ years. Profits matter and if the plane saves them fuel and money, they will continue to buy.

Not worth my effort to reply... I suggest, if you are really interested..... go search and read comments from those who are flying/flew the 737 Max.......

I am getting ready to  :plane:

Online BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
According to The Seattle Times, managers at the Federal Aviation Administration pushed its safety engineers into delegating the work of carrying out safety assessment of the then new Boeing 737 MAX to the aircraft manufacturer. The basis for this? The FAA didn’t have the resources to perform its functions by itself!

If you are the inventor of a new sensor and software, who else in this world is 100% qualified to judge your product? It's to Boeing's benefit to create safe products and the FAA to do the best job they can. For the most part they done a good job. Still safer to fly in a plane than drive a car.

Additionally, the managers also pushed for a speedy approval process. Well, if you are wondering what could possibly go wrong in such a case, watch this video!

All managers at Boeing and Airbus push for a speedy approval process. That's what they do. No conspiracy here since no one item got special treatment. It doesn't help Boeing to build planes with bad parts and software. They thought their anti-stall design would work. Testing parts and software for a trillion flying hours is not practical.

Online Wiz

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 04:29:42 PM »
Dear Billy

I have already told you ....not worth my effort to reply... I suggest, if you are really interested..... go search and read comments from those who are flying/flew the 737 Max...... I am not a pilot or an expert........... just flying passenger.

So Happy Easter if you celebrate  or... if not HAPPY HOLIDAYS........ and drinking coffee and ready to drive after 3 hours.!

For me Greek Easter has started...........watch

:BEER: