The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is Aeroflot safe?  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Is Aeroflot safe?
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:20:47 AM »
Dobre utre: 

I was talking to a friend that insists that Aeroflot isn't safe.  I've flown with them extensively.  Like Miami - Moscow - Khabarovsk and back plus many more cities and countries.  I flew with them to Armenia, Georgia, etc. 

Can anyone here provide a link from a reliable source not Wikipedia that states that Aeroflot is safe so I can close this discussion with my friend. 

Spasiba Bolshoi 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Is Aeroflot safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 04:39:13 AM »
Dobre utre: 

I was talking to a friend that insists that Aeroflot isn't safe.  I've flown with them extensively.  Like Miami - Moscow - Khabarovsk and back plus many more cities and countries.  I flew with them to Armenia, Georgia, etc. 

Can anyone here provide a link from a reliable source not Wikipedia that states that Aeroflot is safe so I can close this discussion with my friend. 

Spasiba Bolshoi

Check the SKYup thread ..

Based on older data Aeroflot had a LOUSY track record  -  do other FSU airline firms  - I'm happy to fly Aeroflot, Redwings and Pobeda ( same group) Ural and S7 . to name but a few

I'm still here to prove it ;)
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Guile

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:06 AM »
Omega you worry too much about everything...how can one answer your question "Is Aeroflot safe?"... terrorists could hijack the plane and send it crashing.

If you have used them extensively and are still alive then good.  I have flown Aeroflot many times with no problem.

What makes your "friend" say that it isn't safe.  It is the same as saying "Russia is not safe"... until you go and live there you can't say nothing.

Is driving a Honda vs a BMW safer? geez man

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Is Aeroflot safe?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 06:33:49 AM »
https://aviation-safety.net/airlinesafety/industry/

http://www.arrivo.ru/statii/interesniye-fakty/10-naimenee-bezopasnyh-aviakompaniiy.html

Аэрофлот
С 1953 года с самолетами Аэрофлота произошло 127 авиакатастроф, в которых погибли 6895 человек. Аэрофлот занимает 39 место в рейтинге самых безопасных авиакомпаний мира, так как эксперты Jacdec рассматривают деятельность компании только с 1992 года (после распада Аэрофлота СССР). Тут следует сказать, что с момента создания ОАО «Аэрофлот – Российские авиалинии» не произошло ни одной аварии. В свою очередь с самолетами дочерних компаний произошли 4 аварии унесшие жизни 251 человека.

https://www.frequentflyers.ru/2018/01/24/jacdec/
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
I suspect this person who told you it isn’t safe is a woman.

About a decade ago my wife used to have this idea that Aeroflot wasn’t safe. She had nothing to back up this idea it’s just a thing that “people knew” in Russia. In the same way that they know that whistling indoors will bring you bad luck and women should not sit on the end of tables, etc.  :Zzzzsleep:

I’ve flown with Aeroflot and found it to be perfectly agreeable. She has since flown with Aeroflot and found it to be perfectly agreeable.

The national carrier of the biggest country in the world. They are hardly plunging from the skies. I’m sure you’ll be fine.....

On a side note about aviation safety, on my flight to China (with Swiss) it was longer by about 30 minutes and they came on the tannoy to announce that this is because they are unable to currently fly over Pakistan and must fly around it instead. They didn’t say why...
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »
In the same way that they know that whistling indoors will bring you bad luck and women should not sit on the end of tables, etc.  :Zzzzsleep:

Whistling inside the house will presumably chase money away from the said house, and unmarried women should not sit at the edge of the tables - otherwise they will never marry  :chuckle:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
In the same way that they know that whistling indoors will bring you bad luck and women should not sit on the end of tables, etc.  :Zzzzsleep:

Whistling inside the house will presumably chase money away from the said house, and unmarried women should not sit at the edge of the tables - otherwise they will never marry  :chuckle:

Whoops, how many tables have you sat at the edge of?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »

Whistling inside the house will presumably chase money away from the said house

Yoox.com chases the money away faster than whistling ever could. :ROFL:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »

Never bothered to count, really - but considering that 13 is my lucky number, I do not care about superstitions as such  :chuckle:

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
I suspect this person who told you it isn’t safe is a woman.

About a decade ago my wife used to have this idea that Aeroflot wasn’t safe. She had nothing to back up this idea it’s just a thing that “people knew” in Russia. In the same way that they know that whistling indoors will bring you bad luck and women should not sit on the end of tables, etc.  :Zzzzsleep:

I’ve flown with Aeroflot and found it to be perfectly agreeable. She has since flown with Aeroflot and found it to be perfectly agreeable.

The national carrier of the biggest country in the world. They are hardly plunging from the skies. I’m sure you’ll be fine.....

On a side note about aviation safety, on my flight to China (with Swiss) it was longer by about 30 minutes and they came on the tannoy to announce that this is [b{because they are unable to currently fly over Pakistan and must fly around it instead. They didn’t say why...[/b]
Pakistan closed its airspace to civilian traffic after the air strikes by India some weeks ago. A lot of airlines had to re route.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 03:29:12 PM »
Aeroflot is one of the safest airline, in contrast of its USSR past  of the Sixties and Seventies, which were the deadliest decades for air flying. Today Aeroflot has one of the most modern fleets, consisting  of Airbus A320, Airbus A330 and Sukhoi SuperJets-100 aircraft.

Just made a search and found that Aeroflot's fleet,  on the 1st March 2019 includes 253 passenger aircraft and the average age of its fleet was 4.4 years. Aeroflot added 22 long-haul Airbus A330s to its fleet.

I have travelled over 20 times with Aeroflot....and found their service very good most of the times.

If your friend wants to educate himself regarding Aeroflot and its history .......tell him to read:

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 03:47:41 PM »

Most tables that I sit at have an edge. I suspect someone means to say the end of the table assuming that it is rectangular.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »

This would make a great new topic, an FSUW experts advice on the range of other superstitions or traditions WM should be aware of in regard to potential relationships.

Offline Olga_Mouse

Superstitions
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 02:34:14 AM »
This would make a great new topic, an FSUW experts advice on the range of other superstitions or traditions WM should be aware of in regard to potential relationships.

I'm sure there was such a topic somewhere already. In any case, it would be more productive for the common future to find an RW who doesn't care about superstitions  :)

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 02:48:47 AM »
Pakistan closed its airspace to civilian traffic after the air strikes by India some weeks ago.
A lot of airlines had to re route.
Wow! Dogsoldier, hat off for your knowledge  tiphat

Really, this forum is a source of info about anything in the world. From Russian women to airlines to "why Pakistan has closed its airspace". Who could have guessed it from the forum title?  :chuckle:

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Superstitions
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 11:49:47 AM »

I'm sure there was such a topic somewhere already. In any case, it would be more productive for the common future to find an RW who doesn't care about superstitions  :)

Ahhh, however I also included the word traditions, in 2019 there must be some traditions you appreciate in a prospective mate/fwb?  When last in Moscow near the Lotte Center I was watching the Moscow Dynamo Hockey team in a Restaurant on Women's Day as i was informed an old Soviet Tradition that women still seem to appreciate - a nice dinner and flowers so they get a day off of domestic duties.  I am informed one dares not forget women's day even among co-workers - curious how that works if a man has a strong independent woman boss?   Ooops I guess that can mean wife as well  :smokin:

Offline Olga_Mouse

Re: Superstitions
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »
Ahhh, however I also included the word traditions, in 2019 there must be some traditions you appreciate in a prospective mate/fwb?  When last in Moscow near the Lotte Center I was watching the Moscow Dynamo Hockey team in a Restaurant on Women's Day as i was informed an old Soviet Tradition that women still seem to appreciate - a nice dinner and flowers so they get a day off of domestic duties.  I am informed one dares not forget women's day even among co-workers - curious how that works if a man has a strong independent woman boss?   Ooops I guess that can mean wife as well  :smokin:

Cuffy, do you see the difference between an official holiday and day-off - and a superstition? I personally do  :saint:

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
Omega you worry too much about everything...how can one answer your question "Is Aeroflot safe?"... terrorists could hijack the plane and send it crashing.

If you have used them extensively and are still alive then good.  I have flown Aeroflot many times with no problem.

What makes your "friend" say that it isn't safe.  It is the same as saying "Russia is not safe"... until you go and live there you can't say nothing.

Is driving a Honda vs a BMW safer? geez man

This is not for me.  I said it was to prove someone I know wrong.  plain and simple. 

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »
https://aviation-safety.net/airlinesafety/industry/

http://www.arrivo.ru/statii/interesniye-fakty/10-naimenee-bezopasnyh-aviakompaniiy.html

Аэрофлот
С 1953 года с самолетами Аэрофлота произошло 127 авиакатастроф, в которых погибли 6895 человек. Аэрофлот занимает 39 место в рейтинге самых безопасных авиакомпаний мира, так как эксперты Jacdec рассматривают деятельность компании только с 1992 года (после распада Аэрофлота СССР). Тут следует сказать, что с момента создания ОАО «Аэрофлот – Российские авиалинии» не произошло ни одной аварии. В свою очередь с самолетами дочерних компаний произошли 4 аварии унесшие жизни 251 человека.

https://www.frequentflyers.ru/2018/01/24/jacdec/

spasiba zapomish Olga. 

Online Guile

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 01:10:05 AM »

This is not for me.  I said it was to prove someone I know wrong.  plain and simple.

well, on what basis is that person saying Aeroflot is not safe? he/she can look up the info online

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
Why would you want to prove someone wrong?

Why not help them to learn?

Proving someone wrong implies a power difference.

Given that you can use Google, Yandex, Bing why did you need to involve us in your power play?

All you needed was to search with a term such as: aeroflot safety record, to get this: https://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/aeroflot/
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Valenki

• Spouses Country: Czecho-SLOVAKIA
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »
Dobre utre: 

Spasiba Bolshoi

Never mind additional sources. Your own experience is the best proof. If your "friend" thinks you are lying then it is time to find a new friend.
Free The Peoples Republics of Lugansk and Donetsk!

Offline Valenki

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 10:27:38 PM »

well, on what basis is that person saying Aeroflot is not safe? he/she can look up the info online
Exactly. If the "friend" doesn't trust the airline then he/she can remain at home while Omega goes out to enjoy the world.  :)

Offline Valenki

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »
..... I'm happy to fly Aeroflot, Redwings and Pobeda ( same group) Ural and S7 . to name but a few

I'm still here to prove it ;)
What better proof can there possibly be?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 10:30:46 PM »
Welcome to RUA.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration