The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul does not exist.  (Read 325 times)

Offline Annushka

Ataturk Airport, Istanbul does not exist.
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:38:02 PM »
We have time to fly to Ataturk. But the departure was already from Sabiha airport.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Ataturk Airport, Istanbul does not exist.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »
Didn’t Turkish airlines recently change their home airport?

My wife had some flights to Russia booked with them and they cancelled them all and re-routed them recently.

Online msmoby

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:31:27 AM »

Last weekend

It will be interesting to hear what wifey says about TA

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »

Last weekend

It will be interesting to hear what wifey says about TA

She had no particular desire to choose Turkish Airlines in the first place; only that they came up cheapest on the flight searches for the dates she wanted.

Then because of the change of home airport, they cancelled the flights and offered her ridiculous replacements that didn’t work at all. It was compounded by the fact that because we had booked on Expedia, they being an intermediary, lack common sense or any meaningful customer service.

She got around all this malarkey by calling the Turkish Airlines office in Moscow in order that she could converse in her lingua franca. The outcome of that was that she got three more days in Russia with Dochka and an upgrade to business class at a cost of £0.

Online msmoby

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:35:35 AM »
Turkish do not tend to be the cheapest these days and well done to Olya for using her initiative

Do tell us what she thought of the airline, itself ..the new airport, etc.

I ask as I am going to Georgia and if I fly THY am interested to know if the transfers are smooth.

We recently flew THY via Mancheter to the old Ataturk and had to run from one end of the airport to the other...2 km to make the Tbilisi connection.

Ataturk was so linear..it was poosible to have to walk / run nearly 4 km if transferring to a domestic destination

Their in flight meals, luggage allowance and in flight entertainment systems are normally the industry best for economy

I am wondering what business class benefits there are...hort of an even biigger luggage allowance  ))

Online msmoby

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:37:04 AM »
PS..I have noticed that using Skyscanner et al, better to check if the cheapest price is best and they can charge for stuff that  booking with an airline is included

Registration