The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: VPNs, Noord VPN, Proxies, etc.  (Read 7483 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
VPNs, Noord VPN, Proxies, etc.
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:59:58 AM »
Guys.. WHY are you paying for a VPN - when you can make your own ?

Abroad ?

1/ IF using a PC / Laptop you can use the VPN feature in Teamviewer

2/ Opera Browser has a built in VPN

I sell VPNs to corporates and all the likes of Nord do is rent Servers in respective nations - pile loads of you on and hope you don't all want to watch a big sports event at the same time !

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: VPNs, Noord VPN, Proxies, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »

Abroad ?

I sell VPNs to corporates and all the likes of Nord do is rent Servers in respective nations - pile loads of you on and hope you don't all want to watch a big sports event at the same time !

Topic about that please.  :nod:

[Edit: now done]
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »

Abroad ?

Bit offtopic here, I also use/build VPN's for my clients.

For myself though, I use NordVPN or one of the many other resellers.

Painless and cheap to setup , and you get way better service than you will ever have with a build-your-own.

For instance:
- Teamviewer VPN. It will let you VPN your desktop at home and you can connect to it.
This means you can appear to come from the UK, when you are really elsewhere (using Manchester as example).
The same for many of the other VPN solution.s You are using your home IP address as an extra option.

NordVPN will actually let you 'pick and choose'  a country of origin and a country of destination.

So lets say you are in Russia, but you want to watch the American Netflix. This can only happen with an American IP-address.

Teamviewer will not help you there, but NordVPN will. You will set your origin (Russia) and your destination (America) and poof. Netflix is now accessible.

If you wish to know more, I will create a seperate topic.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »

It's not off-topic !

Painless and cheap to setup , and you get way better service than you will ever have with a build-your-own.

For instance:
- Teamviewer VPN. It will let you VPN your desktop at home and you can connect to it.
This means you can appear to come from the UK, when you are really elsewhere (using Manchester as example).
The same for many of the other VPN solution.s You are using your home IP address as an extra option.

NordVPN will actually let you 'pick and choose'  a country of origin and a country of destination.

So lets say you are in Russia, but you want to watch the American Netflix. This can only happen with an American IP-address.

Teamviewer will not help you there, but NordVPN will. You will set your origin (Russia) and your destination (America) and poof. Netflix is now accessible.

1/ Manny is in China and I'm guessing would only be interested in getting a UK VPN  - to circumvent the 'GWC' - perhaps download something from Amazon Prime, ( two weeks ago was a REALLY great road trip across from Maxx's Batumi [ on the Black Sea ] to Baku on the Caspian on the Grand Tour  )  Netflix ,BBC iPlayer, etc

2/ Why pay ANYTHING when he can install  Opera Browser and get a N.American IP for nought ?

I've now got a Wireguard Router and 4G  Mifi device that connects via a local data sim - or to a local ISP router via an ethernet ( network) port   and I get connected to my router in the UK - it makes a UK Wifi in the foreign country and my mobile phone connects through Wifi calling and thinks I'm  in a bad coverage area and makes receives calls / sms as if in the UK - don't give have to dial +44

At present, it needs 2/3 pieces of kit - so it is not suitable for going mobile, but my clever Russians have designed some kit that will put this all in a small unit that will work off a 5000Mwh battery or mini USB feed - so one can go  'on the road' using a local Data sim and appear as if in the UK .. I'm waiting for the components and PCBs to come from China and will go out to Georgia to meet up and we can assemble the ( hopefully) final version and firmware

The only issue is that most cheap VPNs use a data centre and pile many people on one Public IP so NetFlix , Sky and Amazon will often pick this up and prevent viewing .. Try watching SKY Go from outside the EU - using a cheap data centre ISP ....connecting via home - NO PROBLEM - as long as your UPLOAD speed is OK ( 10Mbs or more )

Connecting to your home router stops such an issue and when everyone piles on to their cheap VPNs ( via Data centres )  to watch Footie or a Grand Prix .. THEY will get buffering and I don't ..

I've used the prototype ( 2 boxes needed )  in the 'Turkish controlled' part of Cyprus and the Rep of Georgia AND the previous version ( 3 boxes necessary) in Sochi

This will work  to connect back to the USA / Canada, 'Oz, etc., and if - like the US / UK your phone network will allow routing of calls  via WiFi calling you can ditch the £5/ day plans on your 'home' Sim - as the local providers ALWAYS throttle back the roaming users first and your internet usage has limits when abroad that are not as generous as when at home

In the past 16 months we've  tested this in  18 nations ...  learning as we go  - using  O2, Three Vodafone EE, SKY, TalkTalk  ( all UK ) a Cyprus - Primetel, MTN and Cyta Voda-  ( Rep of) Turkey - Avea, Turkcell, Vodafone Telsim - Kibris Telsim and KK Turkcell, -  'North Cyprus' - (Russia) Bisv, Yota, Beeline, Tele2, Megafon, MTS, ( Rep of Georgia ) Magticom and GeoCell   - ( China) China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom - ( Thailand ) D-TAC and True  - using data sims and office / home routed solutions - to check for local anomalies re VPN performance,

Very boring, to most, but I realised that businessmen - on the road a lot - need a decent mobile VPN service - that will not fall over during major sporting events and allow watching home TV channels

Offline yankee

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »

Abroad ?

For instance:

I would love to learn more about VPNs
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline alwayspete

• Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting!
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 10:48:58 PM »

For instance:

Thanks for that tip! Yes please do create a separate topic on Nord VPN and let us know. Thanks again!

Pete :")

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:17 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Since many people asked, I created this topic about using VPN's when surfing the internet.

First watch this short video, to get a basic grasp of concepts.
Please do not skip (parts of) it. (Also, for some of the text, fullscreen helps)

There are multiple ways to get VPN to work and they can seem confusing at first.

This post will be split in 2 topics. I will discuss generic information only, not specific tools used.

PART A -> Roll your own VPN
PART B -> Using a VPN provider like www.nordvpn.com

Quote from:  Your own VPN

Using your own VPN.

Tools like: teamviewer, skype, libreswan, openvpn, etc. let you create your own VPN.

Advantages:
- Everything under your own control
- Access things from the internet, whilst the internet thinks you are at home
- Big bad internet can't see what goes on between your location and your home.
  (*note, powerful computers belonging to NSA, CIA, etc. might break the encryption)

Disadvantages:
- No anonimity
- No multiple locations.

Quote from:  VPN Provider
Using a VPN provider:
- NordVPN
- ViprVPN
-etc.

Most providers of VPN's address different aspects of the advantages a company-provided VPN can give.
Some are all-rounders, some focus on throughput speed (less anonymity since it degrades encryption to increase speed)
Some focus on privacy (slower)
and some focus on as many exit points as possible.

Advantages of VPN-Providers:
- Multiple locations possible
- Multiple entry/exit points of the VPN possible.
- Anonimity
- Hide your real IP
- Access content otherwise not available.
- Privacy

Finally , different VPN routes explained.

I will use a laptop for example, but it might be a phone,tablet the device doesn't matter really. Any internet connected device below can be substituted for 'laptop'

Quote from:  Your own VPN
Roll your own VPN Route internet packages takes:

- Laptop
- VPN entry point (exists on your laptop)
- VPN Exit point (Exists on your home-computer running tool like skype, teamviewer, etc.)
- ISP modem
- Routers
- Website.

Quote from: VPN Provider
VPN Provider possibilities are 2-times.

Quote from: Route A
Anonimity/privacy VPN providers (or generic provider):
- Laptop
- VPN entry point (exists on your laptop)
- VPN Exit point (Exists on the servers of the VPN provider)
- VPN provider routers
- internet routers
- Website.

Advantages:
- High degree of anonimity.
- All content will be available in the exit-point of the VPN provider.

Disadvantages:
- Runs slower on a device with a slow CPU (cheap phone, tablet, etc.)
- Needs to install a client / app

Quote from: Route B
Data/throughput VPN providers:
- Laptop
- ISP Router
- VPN entry point (exists on the entry servers of the VPN provider)
- VPN Exit point (Exists on the exit servers of the VPN provider)
- VPN provider routers
- internet routers
- Website.

As you can see, in the second case the VPN is shorter, it leaves the location between you and its entry point un-encrypted.
Advantages:
- No need to install software, often visiting a website is enough
- Higher throughput because all of the encryption will be done by powerful servers

Disadvantages:
- Loose anonimity in the country/server of origin.
- Some content-providers may "see through" your VPN and deny access.

OO===[][]===OO

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 05:33:49 AM »

Painless and cheap to setup, and you get way better service than you will ever have with a build-your-own.

For instance:
The same for many of the other VPN solutions. You are using your home IP address as an extra option.

If you wish to know more, I will create a separate topic.

Just got back from Ukraine. Couldn't access my mail.ru mailboxes and VK profile from out there, so had to install some VPN to my prehistorically old netbook via the half-letargic hotel wi-fi. It actually worked out!
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »

Just got back from Ukraine. Couldn't access my mail.ru mailboxes and VK profile from out there, so had to install some VPN to my prehistorically old netbook via the half-letargic hotel wi-fi. It actually worked out!

You must really love the old thing, I dare bet that for $300 you can buy something that outperforms any note-book older than 5 years.

(might even be <$200 , but then harddisk / RAM becomes smaller)
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
With regard to
Some content-providers may "see through" your VPN and deny access.
It seems to me that this actually defeats the object of using a VPN in places where the government replaces Netflix as a stakeholder. By this, I mean that if a government chooses to block access to sites/services from within the country, then just as Netflix can quite successfully identify the use of a VPN to access its services then so can a government do so to identify users of, for example, Skype.

In the short term, one might get away with it, and one might even be able to conceal the content of one's communication, but it seems to me to be naive to expect that the authorities cannot identify when Skype or other services are being used. So, I would not worry about such things if I were a tourist in China, but using a VPN as a Chinese citizen would not make me feel safe or cozy.

And yes, I understand that the two cases are not exactly the same on a technical level!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »
Oh Andrewfi, why, must you keep on proving that there are subjects that you know VERY little about ?

Let's take your 'Netflix' example

The 'request' for authentication and access appears to Netflix via an IP address that is readily identifiable as being from Data centre and ( probably  a VPN)  - via the sheer numbers of people arriving via the same public IP ...

At the end from which the request came ( say China / Russia)  the ISP can only see you are encrypting traffic, to and from a server somewhere

IF you are using more than one device from that connection and streaming / using Telegram and various other things -  concurrently - I'm thinking you'd have to be VERY interesting to the 'govt' to bother to work out  what you are watching / sending and where - if using a decent VPN

In Russia - correct me if I'm wrong - it is 'naughty' to use a VPN to visit a prescribed site - not to use a VPN

IF everyone used decent VPNs - any govt would have a headache monitoring

Markje ?

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
With regard to
Some content-providers may "see through" your VPN and deny access.
It seems to me that this actually defeats the object of using a VPN in places where the government replaces Netflix as a stakeholder. By this, I mean that if a government chooses to block access to sites/services from within the country, then just as Netflix can quite successfully identify the use of a VPN to access its services then so can a government do so to identify users of, for example, Skype.

In the short term, one might get away with it, and one might even be able to conceal the content of one's communication, but it seems to me to be naive to expect that the authorities cannot identify when Skype or other services are being used. So, I would not worry about such things if I were a tourist in China, but using a VPN as a Chinese citizen would not make me feel safe or cozy.

And yes, I understand that the two cases are not exactly the same on a technical level!

yes. this disadvantage is only relevant to the route-b providers. route-a is 100% secure on technical merits but vpn providers may be forced to tap into specific vpn of customers
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
Yes, I get that. So, when I use TeamViewer to mediate communication with my PC back in the office and use that to run a Skype call or chat session, that is pretty much invisible because the Skype session is actually being run on the PC, not on my local device.

All that anyone could possibly see, from my end, is that I am using TeamViewer on my local device. TeamViewer encrypts the data flowing through their servers and on to my machine in the office.

I gave up on VPNs when Netflix opened up its service across most of the globe.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »

I gave up on VPNs when Netflix opened up its service across most of the globe.

Then your ISP and others could view where you go and even - not so hard work - hack your emails and see when you visit the bank .. This web site is not secure.

So, when I use TeamViewer to mediate communication with my PC back in the office and use that to run a Skype call or chat session, that is pretty much invisible because the Skype session is actually being run on the PC, not on my local device.

IF you are using Skype to SKYPE the call is encrypted ,anyway - the call may have quality / delay issues ... IF you are using SKYPE out - then your call will not be secure ....  Voice mails are not secure - after you have listened to them ..

So, the 'hacker' will just 'hack' you at the remote PC end - and see the chat  - if they were THAT interested ..

Skype does not offer end to end encryption - like Telegram, Signal, WhatsApp, Viber, etc. ( Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone )

All that anyone could possibly see, from my end, is that I am using TeamViewer on my local device. TeamViewer encrypts the data flowing through their servers and on to my machine in the office.

Depends what else you are doing - running Teamviewer on top of another VPN connection would likely slow data transfer to a snails pace..

As I said,,your 'office' PC would be the weakest link .. more likely if running windows

SKYPE is not as secure as certain other instant messengers  and group chats are not as secure

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
So I now have Teamviewer working between my iPad and my desktop computer at home.  :8)

That does most things I need in terms of a VPN if I use desktop options to access for example Twitter or FB. It allows me to access files from my external drives at home. Its fiddly with fingers on an iPad to control a remote desktop though, a wireless mouse would probably be better to use. As a free tool its fine.

Must the desktop at home be prevented from sleeping? And if so, is this setting OK?

Can someone explain this please?

2/ Why pay ANYTHING when he can install  Opera Browser and get a N.American IP for nought ?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
Manny, when I suggested using TeamViewer a while back I also suggested installing a small piece of software called insomnia. This program, when installed, will stop your PC from going to sleep or restarting - unless somebody at the desktop presses the power button or closes down through the Start menu.

Here yer go: https://dlaa.me/insomnia/

Of course, you can install it from China - but I don't need to tell you that.

The setting you made should be OK in most circumstances but, for example, Windows updates will force a restart.

-----------------
Moby, try to stop being such a twat. You are really groveling now, life must be very boring - sales of your fantasy VPN systems not going so well? Try reading. If you don't understand ask a question. With as much time as you have right now, you have time to read and understand.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
You must really love the old thing, I dare bet that for $300 you can buy something that outperforms any note-book older than 5 years.
(might even be <$200 , but then harddisk / RAM becomes smaller)

Well Markje... no I am not in love :loving: with "old thing", it's rather a habit  :biggrin: 

What's the most important for me is e-mails storage (folders) - and I do have on both, main computer and netbook, Windows XP + Outlook Express...

A friend of mine tried to transfer the mail from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook or whatever this "new" software is called; he faced the problem that only 20 GB can be transferred (and I have e-mails from 1999 stored, so it's already 40 GB).

Haven't yet found a solution to that...  :biggrin:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 02:50:29 AM »
Manny, when I suggested using TeamViewer a while back

*I* suggested using Teamviewer's *VPN*  - minus the GUI interface - much  faster

The setting you made should be OK in most circumstances but, for example, Windows updates will force a restart.

By default, Teamviewer restarts on any reboot - as when taking remote control - one can send a reboot command and re-take control when the computer comes back ..

Moby, try to stop being such a *snip*. You are really groveling now, life must be very boring - sales of your fantasy VPN systems not going so well? Try reading. If you don't understand ask a question. With as much time as you have right now, you have time to read and understand.

andrewfi,

Suggesting this biz is a 'fantasy' bearing in mind some of the clever things we are doing with VPNs is hilarious ..

'Boring' ... Yesterday, I took delivery of a unit that takes 1080P TV ... encodes, compresses and encrypts the feed and remote control commands and sends it across the world .  At t'other end .. it reverses the process and one only needs a (example, SKY ) remote control to watch one's UK TV - the receiver remains in the UK - is connected to a UK IP and one can watch all the SKY / Freeview channels and catch up / one's recordings and Netflix, which is built-in to SKY, nowadays .

The unit was made to MY specs .. With a built-in VPN protocol created by my 'mythical' Russian biz partner guru ..

The added benefit is one's UK mobile phone works as if in the UK -  no roaming

As ever, you have this remarkable  sense of ( crap, for you ) timing whereby I'm able to bust your 'contentions' with a current event that proves you really shouldn't be suggesting to folk you know others' lives, better ;)

This video was made yesterday after lunch ( UK time )

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 02:58:07 AM »

A friend of mine tried to transfer the mail from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook or whatever this "new" software is called; he faced the problem that only 20 GB can be transferred (and I have e-mails from 1999 stored, so it's already 40 GB).

Ask your friend to 'wise up' and export your Outlook Express emails to  Thunderbird - making sure you have a backup of the Outlook Express file database  ..

This might help him - I had the same issue - a few tears back, but I haven't done such a conversion - from Outlook Express to the later versions of T/bird in a LONG time

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/995782

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 06:15:33 AM »

Ask your friend to 'wise up' and export your Outlook Express emails to  Thunderbird - making sure you have a backup of the Outlook Express file database  ..

This might help him - I had the same issue - a few tears back, but I haven't done such a conversion - from Outlook Express to the later versions of T/bird in a LONG time

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/995782

I use Thunderbird following a recommendation of somebody on here. 15 years of emails available instantly across lots of providers; excellent piece of software.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 09:44:07 AM »
Just remember to compress and archive AND back up the pst file remotely..if you look THAT you lose access to your mail..esp. old stuff.

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Just remember to compress and archive AND back up the pst file remotely..if you look THAT you lose access to your mail..esp. old stuff.

Are you referring to Thunderbird users there, Moby?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:07 PM »
Yup

My apologies for not being clear.

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
Something I can add about what has been discussed on this topic up to now from the perspective of Internet access in China:

On standard Chinese Internet: as we know Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Google and by extension Google email platforms are blocked. So for example, if you have a Gmail email reading through Thunderbird or Apple software it will simply not update.

If you just want to translate something, search something, or do something simple, instead of using Google you can just use baidu.com and you will get to broadly the same place.

WhatsApp isn’t completely blocked in China (although that seems to change depending where you are and how you access the Internet), but at the moment where I am in Ningbo you can use WhatsApp messaging and FaceTime type video but you can’t send photographs and videos over that medium.

That said, if I connect using the UK-based O2 4G deal that I highlighted in another topic, western sites and apps open for me. This tells us that the Chinese Internet wall is not aimed at foreigners. If you connect to the Internet by using a UK arranged network or even a very western facing hotel chain like the Westin or the Shangri-La you will find western Internet without Chinese restrictions. Other than that you will use a VPN to connect without restrictions.

The TeamViewer as discussed earlier works OK for accessing my home computer which allows me to access the hard drives with movies etc. on them. It has its limitations but generally it’s alright. I can watch episodes of Grand Tour here in China via this method.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 03:27:23 PM »
TeamViewer impresses.

I did not expect to be able to watch movies, listen to music, or use Skype with it. I expected there'd be too much lag and jitter. But no, with a decent connection it is very serviceable. Of course, the decent connection has to include a good up connection from your remote pc.

On my next journey I don't plan to bother with my portable drives. Between TeamViewer, Dropbox and One Drive I'll be golden. These days One Drive is a default location for all my work files, local storage is now the backup. So convenient.