The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is Skype Dead? Has Whatsapp, Wechat or Telegram Taken Over?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Is Skype Dead? Has Whatsapp, Wechat or Telegram Taken Over?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
Er, BillyB

What makes you think Skype calls need to be 'scheduled' ?

Girls asked me to use skype for video calls which needed to be scheduled.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
Er, BillyB

Hmm..Most of the girls I gave my skype to ( that's v.few ) were welcome to call anytime, to check my life out ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline yankee

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
Er, BillyB

Skype can be used on smart phones,  what needs to be scheduled?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »

The first iPhone was released in 2007. I made a commitment to my wife in 2010. I doubt many FSU women had smartphones then. Probably why they wanted to schedule video chat with me when they can get in front of a computer. I told them I prefer to call.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »

The first iPhone was released in 2007. I made a commitment to my wife in 2010. I doubt many FSU women had smartphones then. Probably why they wanted to schedule video chat with me when they can get in front of a computer. I told them I prefer to call.

Just a normal cell phone call or did you use WhatsApp or something else?

I’ve only Skyped couple of times and it was for business. A local FSU gal few years back wanted me to do “viber” and I was somewhat annoyed and told her to just call me directly.

I wasn’t really into her that much anyway, but if she wanted to communicate I wanted to hear her voice.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 11:48:48 PM »
confederate,

all Ukraine gals use Viber, so why would that annoy you?
if she's got wifi then all her calls are free to you, why would she want to PAY out of her miserable salary to call you direct on her phone plan?
I understand totally a girl prefering to use Viber, text, phone and video, you've got all the options.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 12:14:48 AM »

I’ve only Skyped couple of times and it was for business. A local FSU gal few years back wanted me to do “viber” and I was somewhat annoyed and told her to just call me directly.

I wasn’t really into her that much anyway, but if she wanted to communicate I wanted to hear her voice.

I called the girls cell phones with my cell phone and calling card. Whatever is the "IN" thing for the girls, you may want to jump on the band wagon and use the same things they're using. You can tell them you're a very busy man in business and in life and you want to call them direct instead of using Skype/Viber/WhatsApp but if you don't have a good excuse, they may assume you can't keep up with technology.

why would she want to PAY out of her miserable salary to call you direct on her phone plan?

Girls don't want to pay for a long distance call but they know how to get a guy to call. What they did was call my number, let it ring once and immediately hang up. By doing that they have left me their number to call them back on.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 01:39:22 AM »
BillyB,

This is 2019

Your 'advice' re using phone calls is plain daft to most people.

It may have been how YOU did it over ten years ago..

That was an eon ago.

Sure, a very few ladies do not have smartphones. Rare are the cases of younger ladies without access to a smartphone.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
confederate,

all Ukraine gals use Viber, so why would that annoy you?
if she's got wifi then all her calls are free to you, why would she want to PAY out of her miserable salary to call you direct on her phone plan?
I understand totally a girl prefering to use Viber, text, phone and video, you've got all the options.

Hi Redroo,

I certainly do appreciate you letting me know that all Ukrainian gals use viber. I didn’t even know or I wasn’t aware that a normal call could be made where I could hear her voice.

Now if you don’t mind please read my post again. I specified that she was local, as in local to me and where I was living at the time in the USA.

I also said I wasn’t too “into her”. For me she’s in the friend category. She’s got two kids and she was on the rebound. I prefer to be friends with a gal like that rather than take advantage of her.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »
Quote from: Confederate link=topic=27919.msg492181#msg492181z  date=1554610053

I called the girls cell phones with my cell phone and calling card. Whatever is the "IN" thing for the girls, you may want to jump on the band wagon and use the same things they're using. You can tell them you're a very busy man in business and in life and you want to call them direct instead of using Skype/Viber/WhatsApp but if you don't have a good excuse, they may assume you can't keep up with technology.

why would she want to PAY out of her miserable salary to call you direct on her phone plan?

Girls don't want to pay for a long distance call but they know how to get a guy to call. What they did was call my number, let it ring once and immediately hang up. By doing that they have left me their number to call them back on.

If they assumed I “can’t keep up with technology” they’d be correct. Or more precisely don’t want to. I’m old fashioned in some ways, set in my ways and believe the human voice is far more romantic than a text.

And I like the way you did it, congrats. :thumbsup:

Would I modify my behavior to catch the attention of a woman I really wanted to meet? Maybe.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »

It's daft to most people like you. Important people still make phone calls to deliver what they want to say.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
Important people still make phone calls to deliver what they want to say.

Now, our BillyB is trying to suggest chatting to a dating a FSU W  is like calling the bank in his own city !

The very place where he was  calling TO - the FSU women . 

How many of 'em have a POTS tel number - a land line - in 2019 ?

Thank you

Note to BillyB - they are using some form of wireless comms

Offline Manny

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »

It's daft to most people like you. Important people still make phone calls to deliver what they want to say.

They do, but dont they make them over Whatsapp or similar? I'm a new convert but using it to speak to wifey and dockha in Russia the last few days and it's painless. And free if you have an internet connection. It's the same a a phone call.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 02:15:25 PM »
It's the same a a phone call.

Wonderful. I've been promoting communication by way of phone calls but Moby says it's daft. If WhatsApp does the same thing but cheaper, I'm all for it.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »

Wonderful. I've been promoting communication by way of phone calls but Moby says it's daft. If WhatsApp does the same thing but cheaper, I'm all for it.

Whatsapp lets you phone and video-chat to the people on the other end. the Video-chat is great when my MIL wants to talk to her grandkids (my sons).
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »

Whatsapp lets you phone and video-chat to the people on the other end. the Video-chat is great when my MIL wants to talk to her grandkids (my sons).

Is WhatsApp what you primarily use Mark?  Like Billy said and Manny said I’m all for it if I can still talk yet for free or inexpensively for the woman.

Or as Redroo said when in Ukraine do as the Ukrainians do.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »

Is WhatsApp what you primarily use Mark?  Like Billy said and Manny said I’m all for it if I can still talk yet for free or inexpensively for the woman.

Or as Redroo said when in Ukraine do as the Ukrainians do.

when calling friends we use whatsapp or viber
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline BillyB

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
I’m old fashioned in some ways, set in my ways and believe the human voice is far more romantic than a text.

Get the girls phone numbers and make the calls using whatever technology that works for you. Texting isn't romantic. Maybe it can be considered cute but certainly not romantic.

Call not too much or too little. Finding the right balance a girl likes is up to you to figure out. You will separate yourself from the other guys who refuse to call. I've read many failed trip reports with a common theme being the guys never talked on the phone with the girl they visited. Failure to communicate translated in failure to reading the girl's interest in them.

Some girls will have excitement in their voice when you call. Some will not. Visit those that's excited about you.

There are other advantages to calling randomly. I've caught girls taking baths. I tell them I could call back later but most do not want to let me go. It's interesting having a conversation with a girl knowing she's naked.

Some guys learn their girl never answers their calls on Friday and Saturday nights. The girls could be out dancing the night away at discos or simply banging boyfriend #3.

After enough phone conversations, a guy can determine if the girl is interested in him or displaying red flags by not being available when they are supposed to be available.

Offline yankee

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 07:31:30 PM »
I’m old fashioned in some ways, set in my ways and believe the human voice is far more romantic than a text.

Get the girls phone numbers and make the calls using whatever technology that works for you. Texting isn't romantic. Maybe it can be considered cute but certainly not romantic.

Call not too much or too little. Finding the right balance a girl likes is up to you to figure out. You will separate yourself from the other guys who refuse to call. I've read many failed trip reports with a common theme being the guys never talked on the phone with the girl they visited. Failure to communicate translated in failure to reading the girl's interest in them.

Some girls will have excitement in their voice when you call. Some will not. Visit those that's excited about you.

There are other advantages to calling randomly. I've caught girls taking baths. I tell them I could call back later but most do not want to let me go. It's interesting having a conversation with a girl knowing she's naked.

Some guys learn their girl never answers their calls on Friday and Saturday nights. The girls could be out dancing the night away at discos or simply banging boyfriend #3.

After enough phone conversations, a guy can determine if the girl is interested in him or displaying red flags by not being available when they are supposed to be available.

If you had been using Skype you would have seen that she was in the bath.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Manny

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 03:55:03 PM »
There are other advantages to calling randomly. I've caught girls taking baths. I tell them I could call back later but most do not want to let me go. It's interesting having a conversation with a girl knowing she's naked

Another reason to use WhatsApp: in addition to free international audio calls you also get free international video calls.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 03:57:03 AM »
WhatsApp is part of Facebook and I don't know about you, but they screwed around with their servers and messenger, WhatsApp were down.  ((

Used Google Duo for one to one video calls and it is SUPERB

Found out yhat when WhatsApp loses the connection and goes beep, beep that on return there is a delay and we were talking over each other ((

Telegram is STILL the best for audio only calls jf one or both parties sre marginsl on connectivity

Skype still king re conference calls

YOMV

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2022, 08:34:06 AM »
Bumping this thread ...

The bank I am working on a 100% remote ISO Contract for uses WebEx over Cisco AnyConnect industrial-grade VPN and interestingly enough their electronic leash is Microsoft Skype for Business IM instant messaging that says you are inactive if you are not typing or moving a mouse after 5 minutes or so - A mouse mover works great to reduce "inactive" tattletale stress. Team members communicate with Skype IM chat for quick sidebars while on a meeting or to send a WebEx Audio Video meeting request - Webex allows sharing all Windows10 Desktop web and Office Documents and work on them live - typically the Webex Host shares out their screen and teams from 2 up to several hundred listenings muted so dogs barking and kids screaming in the background do not interrupt everyone such is the work at home experience.

Of course, all Corporate Communications via email and Skype IM and Webex recordings are all saved for Audit purposes so no corporate watercooler scuttlebutt rumor or gossip mills - makes working from home a lot more pleasant.

Interesting that women in Kiev I am trying to help and Ladies in Montreal both recently requested that I communicate with them via Whatsapp which I have resisted for years due to my abject hatred for Zuckerberg and his censoring of anyone even remotely Pro-America in favor of his Marxist Socialist Masters in the CCP and their Democommunist Party puppets.

Whereas its still texting by phone to connect with Boston/USA women...

That said it seems if you want to date sexy mobile ladies Zuckerbergs Whatsapp seems to be their go-to communications method post covid, especially during the Russian Invasion er ah um attitude correction of Ukraine. assume on their mobile phones...

I guess when it comes to Zuckersperg's Facebook/Whatsapp they are the new Star-trek Borg - resistance is futile you will be assimilated.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »
If you want to communicate to ladies in the FSU I would investigate VIBER. Below is a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viber
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2022, 03:13:20 PM »
If you want to communicate to ladies in the FSU I would investigate VIBER. Below is a link.

Great both MINSK and MOSCOW and Commie-Frisco will know my private business - I will stick with Swiss p2p encrypted protonmail.com email...

The software was developed in 2010 by Cyprus-based[7] Viber Media, which was bought by Rakuten in 2014. Since 2017, its corporate name has been Rakuten Viber. It is based in Luxembourg.[8] Viber's offices are located in Minsk, London, Manila, Moscow, Paris, San Francisco, Singapore, and Tokyo.[9]

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »

Great both MINSK and MOSCOW and Commie-Frisco will know my private business - I will stick with Swiss p2p encrypted protonmail.com email...

The software was developed in 2010 by Cyprus-based[7] Viber Media, which was bought by Rakuten in 2014. Since 2017, its corporate name has been Rakuten Viber. It is based in Luxembourg.[8] Viber's offices are located in Minsk, London, Manila, Moscow, Paris, San Francisco, Singapore, and Tokyo.[9]

Perhaps you want some one to explain to you why ladies prefer to use a technology that they are comfortable with. Get a burner for your escapades.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration