The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is Skype Dead? Has Whatsapp, Wechat or Telegram Taken Over?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Is Skype Dead? Has Whatsapp, Wechat or Telegram Taken Over?
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
It might just be my circle, but Whatsapp seems to have taken over from where Skype used to be. Skype is now full of bugs (I had to delete and download it again on one work computer today as it wouldn't open - and on one of my laptops it wont work at all).
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Re: Is Skype Dead? Has Whatsapp, Wechat or Telegram Taken Over?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »
It might just be my circle, but Whatsapp seems to have taken over from where Skype used to be. Skype is now full of bugs (I had to delete and download it again on one work computer today as it wouldn't open - and on one of my laptops it wont work at all).

same here. even my mil in crimea doesnt skype anymore. only whatsapp video chat
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

same here. even my mil in crimea doesn't skype anymore. only whatsapp video chat

The FIL and MIL are on Whatsapp now too, wifey and both kids are on it. I reluctantly downloaded it for the first time a few weeks ago. I'm on the bigger Chinese version (Wechat) but only coz I deal with folks in China and that is their default app.

What became of Telegram? or is that just a Muslim world thing now?
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »

What became of Telegram? or is that just a Muslim world thing now?
Nope, its also heavily used in business-chat-apps here in Netherlands (at least where I frequent).

They dislike the NSA spying on them, Doesn't matter if its real or imaginary threat.

Telegram as I recall, was owned by Russia's companies, but after a row with RU-GOV they rebased in UK.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »

I chat and work (files, groups) on WhatsApp mostly, though Lithuania \ Belarus \ Ukraine do prefer Viber.

As for video-chats, Skype is my favourite - because I still have it on stationary PC, where I can move the camera, lights, etc. - and do a better staging for the video-chats  :knit:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »

I chat and work (files, groups) on WhatsApp mostly, though Lithuania \ Belarus \ Ukraine do prefer Viber.

As for video-chats, Skype is my favourite - because I still have it on stationary PC, where I can move the camera, lights, etc. - and do a better staging for the video-chats  :knit:

Sounds good, my wife/MIL mainly switched over because MIL laptop became older and whatsapp can be run on a mobile and is very mobile when you're chasing your (grand)kids.

Also, the Whatsapp video's seem to be of better sound quality than Skype which degrades sound a lot on lower bandwidths. 20Mbit should be sufficient one thinks, but its not for skype.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:11:44 PM »
Skype finished about 4/5 years ago.. it's prehistoric now.. NO ONE on dating sites says now "Have you Skype" It's what's app only and has been for a few years now..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online yankee

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »
Skype finished about 4/5 years ago.. it's prehistoric now.. NO ONE on dating sites says now "Have you Skype" It's what's app only and has been for a few years now..

My family still uses Skype.
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 03:39:00 PM »

Yea but you'r 97 years old?  ;D

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »
Olga is correct in that popularity re Mobile chat apps popularity is country specific..

Viber is still king in Ukraine / Belarus - for example ..

Viber can be run from a PC / Laptop and make calls / video calls - WhatsApp ( official) cannot

Russia?: It's WhatsApp ( Great for Group chats ) and (still ) Telegram !!

Does anyone else use  Google Duo - the video quality is SUPERB on a mobile ?

I'm still a Skype fan - having used it since the early days - can be installed easily -  on most devices and you only need the user id / password - WhatsApp and Viber need more authenticating

One can buy a REALLY cheap Lumina 640 phone (M/soft) and run Skype - swapping sims as you move country with no issues

It is best for multiple person conferences and the latest android variant allows ( on My Samsung S8+ and Linux laptop )  rapid screen shots ..

Using a good quality USB / HD Video camera on a decent laptop WAY beats most mobiles

If you (or the person you are calling) has a poor  signal - Telegram will ( normally ) be the last to drop the call  / get through

Online yankee

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 06:54:50 PM »

I maybe old as the hills (well not quite) but my step-son is 40, lives in the US makes over $150k and his wife makes over $100k a year and they both use Skype for domestic and calls to Russia.  He works for facebook by the way.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 01:35:47 AM »

I maybe old as the hills (well not quite) but my step-son is 40, lives in the US makes over $150k and his wife makes over $100k a year and they both use Skype for domestic and calls to Russia.  He works for facebook by the way.

He works for facebook by the way.. He should be asking for a pay rise!! ;D

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 01:44:39 AM »
We (Wife and I) both use Whats App these days, we have just come back from abroad (Outside the EU) and WhatsApp to back home was great quality and free. Wifey uses it all the time now, a few times a day with Ukraine.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »
I use Skype almost exclusively. I have never had a client say 'let's pop over to WhatsApp for a video call' but it often happens with Skype. Skype integrates fully with mobile and landline networks at high quality. The chat is fine, but I always prefer to confirm details with email because, like other chat clients, search and indexing is a bugger.

On the other hand, when dealing with housekeepers, plumber, and tradesmen, WhatsApp is more favoured because they don't use email or sometimes even own a PC so Facebook is, for them, the Internet. Even then, I prefer to stick to Messenger, how many bloody chat or free call apps does one need, especially when Whats App and Facebook Messenger share the same userbase and often contact info.

I have several geographically based Skype numbers that clients, friends, and family can call me on saving them money and giving me a more local appearance which shouldn't but does, help when dealing with buyers.

Bottom line, WhatsApp and others are cheapy toys for folks who have simple needs and are happy to get stuff for free in exchange for their personal data. Skype is always live on any of my Internet-connected devices, the others, people have to ask me to use and I go download the app, or spin it up from storage. In terms of raw numbers, there might even be more users of WhatsApp than Skype these days, but the people I want to communicate with I get on Skype or call them directly on their phone.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online yankee

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »
I use Skype almost exclusively. I have never had a client say 'let's pop over to WhatsApp for a video call' but it often happens with Skype. Skype integrates fully with mobile and landline networks at high quality. The chat is fine, but I always prefer to confirm details with email because, like other chat clients, search and indexing is a bugger.

On the other hand, when dealing with housekeepers, plumber, and tradesmen, WhatsApp is more favoured because they don't use email or sometimes even own a PC so Facebook is, for them, the Internet. Even then, I prefer to stick to Messenger, how many bloody chat or free call apps does one need, especially when Whats App and Facebook Messenger share the same userbase and often contact info.

I have several geographically based Skype numbers that clients, friends, and family can call me on saving them money and giving me a more local appearance which shouldn't but does, help when dealing with buyers.

Bottom line, WhatsApp and others are cheapy toys for folks who have simple needs and are happy to get stuff for free in exchange for their personal data. Skype is always live on any of my Internet-connected devices, the others, people have to ask me to use and I go download the app, or spin it up from storage. In terms of raw numbers, there might even be more users of WhatsApp than Skype these days, but the people I want to communicate with I get on Skype or call them directly on their phone.

+1

Registration