The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: VK Ban for Ukrainians!?!  (Read 16463 times)

Offline alwayspete

• Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting!
  • Trips: None Yet
VK Ban for Ukrainians!?!
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
Hi guys,

I met a lady on a dating website. Of course it's one of those dating websites that forbids the sharing of any sort of personal contacts within the website & discourages direct contact outside the website. Obviously I don't trust a lady who's interested to communicate with me only on a paid website - where everything one touches cost $$$ - & no where else. So when I asked her to contact me directly via VK, this was her response.

""I don't use the VK, it's forbidden in Ukraine because it's a Russian social network. Do you know that? It's blocked for all Ukrainians.""

Could she be telling the truth? Since when was this ban introduced in Ukraine? How strict is the ban? Are Ukrainians utterly & completely cut off from VK & are unable to access VK at all, no matter what? I ask this 'cause, even when I visited VK today, I could find 100s of Ukrainians from various states on-line & active! So if the former is true how can all these Ukrainians access VK without a problem? Like she wrote, she might have made the personal choice not to use VK. But I don't think it blocked for all Ukrainians. So to me her reply seems like a mix of truth and lie.

What do you personally think of her reply? Is there a social media platform just for Ukrainians? I found a SM website named OK. Is this Russian as well? I have no clue where to go to in order to set this website to English. So I've only managed to create an account with some effort! Please share your thoughts & tips on these. Thanks ahead to everyone. Bye for now.

Pete :")

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: VK Ban for Ukrainians!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:46:37 AM »
Dear Pete

If you are using a pay per letter site...STOP..

If the lady is real / really interested she would find another way to communicate

3 OK.ru is !classmates'..a SM site to find old school mates..

They..VK and OK are owned by the mail.ru group. ..A Russian company mostly owned by an Uzbek Oligarch  who  keeps good relations with the Kremlin and invests in the west.

My tip..forget the lass and the site..

Sorry
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 12:56:00 AM »
Welcome to RUA

The short answer is your waisting both your time and money. If the woman was sincere she would wish to have direct contact with you.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 04:30:37 AM »
@ msmoby & AvHdB

I'm a newbie to all this. So thanks for replying!

Did the banning of Russian social media (VK, OK) really happen in Ukraine? To the point were Ukrainians can't access it at all? That doesn't look like the case at VK when I checked it today.

Yes it is a pay per letter site. (UADreams) I know, I know. There are tons of negative reviews on them. But there are also positive ones. I found a few positive reviews on this forum. I only plan to be with them for a short time. Just testing the waters. Yes I did think the same at first. That if she's interested she would find a way to get in touch directly! The lady blames the dating website's rules that forbids her to exchange direct contact information. Even if she did the middle men translators will edit it out of the letters. Will the lady get into trouble if she shares her direct contacts? Is that the case here? If it is, does this mean she is insincere?

How can I sort this out? I tried searching for her on VK but no luck. I went through about 1650 profiles with the same name. But she's not there. Maybe it's like just she said. She does not use VK because it's banned. Any ideas ladies & gentlemen?

Thanks again.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:36:33 AM »
A quick Google search gives you some information you need.

Ukraine bans its top social networks because they are Russian

https://www.economist.com/europe/2017/05/19/ukraine-bans-its-top-social-networks-because-they-are-russian
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »

A quick Google search gives you some information you need.

Ukraine bans its top social networks because they are Russian

https://www.economist.com/europe/2017/05/19/ukraine-bans-its-top-social-networks-because-they-are-russian

However, as far as I know they are still used in Ukraine by many?
Слава Україні

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 05:44:07 AM »
@ msmoby & AvHdB

I'm a newbie to all this. So thanks for replying!

Did the banning of Russian social media (VK, OK) really happen in Ukraine? To the point were Ukrainians can't access it at all? That doesn't look like the case at VK when I checked it today.

Yes it is a pay per letter site. (UADreams) I know, I know. There are tons of negative reviews on them. But there are also positive ones. I found a few positive reviews on this forum. I only plan to be with them for a short time. Just testing the waters. Yes I did think the same at first. That if she's interested she would find a way to get in touch directly! The lady blames the dating website's rules that forbids her to exchange direct contact information. Even if she did the middle men translators will edit it out of the letters. Will the lady get into trouble if she shares her direct contacts? Is that the case here? If it is, does this mean she is insincere?

How can I sort this out? I tried searching for her on VK but no luck. I went through about 1650 profiles with the same name. But she's not there. Maybe it's like just she said. She does not use VK because it's banned. Any ideas ladies & gentlemen?

Thanks again.

Your wasting your time! And your wasting your time on UA what ever it is.. Also you will NEVER EVER marry any women looking like any of the women your even looking at on UADreams.. never ever in a million years..

You'r even wasting your time asking people on this forum ? Why cos most do not take a blind bit of notice of any advice..

But here is the most truthful advise you will ever get:

You will never ever marry any women who looks like any of the women on UADreams Never ever.. Ukrainian or Russian women who look like those models DO NOT need foreign husbands, not now, not in 10 years not ever..

So are you prepared to just search for a normal looking women? Who maybe pretty or above average? If no.. Give up now..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 05:54:23 AM »

However, as far as I know they are still used in Ukraine by many?

Thanks Chris for the info! Everything helps!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 05:55:35 AM »
Take a look at the images , if your looking for a women to marry from the left..

I will say again You will never ever in a million years marry such women..

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 06:06:20 AM »

You will never ever marry any women who looks like any of the women on UADreams Never ever.. Ukrainian or Russian women who look like those models DO NOT need foreign husbands, not now, not in 10 years not ever..

So are you prepared to just search for a normal looking women? Who maybe pretty or above average? If no.. Give up now..

Thanks for your advice Steveboy. A bit harsh. But I appreciate it. I'm not after the super model type. I've often wondered why women who look out of this world beautiful search for a man on-line? Is it that tough!? Of course not. Pretty is enough for me. So I'm in the clear hopefully. What do you have to say about the women (advertisement) found on every page of this website? Do you recommend loveme.com? Of course they certainly are the model type women by the looks of it. :")

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 06:13:17 AM »

Thanks for your advice Steveboy. A bit harsh. But I appreciate it. I'm not after the super model type. I've often wondered why women who look out of this world beautiful search for a man on-line? Is it that tough!? Of course not. Pretty is enough for me. So I'm in the clear hopefully. What do you have to say about the women (advertisement) found on every page of this website? Do you recommend loveme.com? Of course they certainly are the model type women by the looks of it. :")

Harsh advice is the best advice unfortunately. Those women in UA dreams are already married or have lovers, they are just laughing at you, trust me on this!

The women on every page here? You really think they are real also? And looking to be rescued by some man from another country? If you was ever to meet any women looking like this /model style/stunning in real life either in Russia or Ukraine they will simply not be interested in you, in fact you would embarrass yourself even approaching them..

Yes its life! Life sucks, beautiful women don't need foreigners any more ((

I was doing doing free membership on my site, but I gave it up a while back. But I can see you need some help and pointing in the right direction. If you register at Bridesandlovers I will upgrade you for a years free membership.. Speak to some real women :) Just let me know your ID number.. tiphat

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »
Good onya Steve, that's a nice gesture to our newbie

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
Pete, sorry that (hopefully) you are an illusion poorer.

In your situation I would follow up on the offer of Steve. As I understand there is a greater effort at vetting the women and avoid many of the scams and BS.

But firstly I would read some of the threads on RUA and study who was successful. There is no one correct way to prosecute this search but over a thousand ways to make a mess of it!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »
Pete there is a site known as https://www.ukrainedate.com/  where you pay for 1 month, 3 months or one year membership. Then the lady if she also has a paid membership can give you her contact details directly.

Many or most of the women on PPL sites have no clue who you are, it’s a complete scam. A translator is writing the letters to you, the models just check in once a week for their cut of the profit.

PT Barnum is attributed with saying there’s “a sucker born every minute”* and these sites are masters at extracting $$ from gullible westerners.

Steveboy’s site looks far more legitimate to me. Give up your illusion and start over completely. Good luck.

* also attributed to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Joe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/06/ukraine-wife-internet-romance-industry-online-scam

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »

Harsh advice is the best advice unfortunately. Those women in UA dreams are already married or have lovers, they are just laughing at you, trust me on this!

The women on every page here? You really think they are real also? And looking to be rescued by some man from another country? If you was ever to meet any women looking like this /model style/stunning in real life either in Russia or Ukraine they will simply not be interested in you, in fact you would embarrass yourself even approaching them..

I was doing doing free membership on my site, but I gave it up a while back. But I can see you need some help and pointing in the right direction. If you register at Bridesandlovers I will upgrade you for a years free membership.. Speak to some real women :) Just let me know your ID number.. tiphat

Are you saying all the really beautiful women on every dating site are all unreal and gone? If it's true, yeah that sucks! :'(  Come to think of it, beautiful women don't need to stand & wait in a queue to be picked, right? But I wouldn't mind the embarrassment. At least I'll can tell myself that I tried & talked to beautiful women. I'm learning Ukrainian.  :reading:Baby steps really. Learning to say Dad & Mom and so on. :-* I think knowing the language helps.

You have a website?! Plus an amazing offer. Wow. That's awesome news and very generous of you Sir! Thank you kindly for showing me the way. Yes I'll do that. Hats off!

P.S.

I just registered. Where can I find my iD number over there?

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »

Are you saying all the really beautiful women on every dating site are all unreal and gone? If it's true, yeah that sucks! :'(  Come to think of it, beautiful women don't need to stand & wait in a queue to be picked, right? But I wouldn't mind the embarrassment. At least I'll can tell myself that I tried & talked to beautiful women. I'm learning Ukrainian.  :reading: Baby steps really. Learning to say Dad & Mom and so on. :-* I think knowing the language helps.

You have a website?! Plus an amazing offer. Wow. That's awesome news and very generous of you Sir! Thank you kindly for showing me the way. Yes I'll do that. Hats off!

P.S.

I just registered. Where can I find my iD number over there?

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 12:02:41 PM »
Yes, users from Ukrainian IPs are not allowed to use V_Kontakte, Mail.ru and odnoklassniki.ru (blocking being arranged by Ukrainian governement) - as well as users with Russian IPs are not allowed to use Linked_in or Telegram.

VPN rulez  :party0031:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
Pete, sorry that (hopefully) you are an illusion poorer.

In your situation I would follow up on the offer of Steve. As I understand there is a greater effort at vetting the women and avoid many of the scams and BS.

But firstly I would read some of the threads on RUA and study who was successful. There is no one correct way to prosecute this search but over a thousand ways to make a mess of it!

Please don't feel sorry for me. I meant the word "hope" as being optimistic not an illusion poorer. So you are saying that the website Steve suggested contain only vetted female members? Then it certainly is a good idea to join, isn't it? You're right about reading & research.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
Yes, users from Ukrainian IPs are not allowed to use V_Kontakte, Mail.ru and odnoklassniki.ru (blocking being arranged by Ukrainian governement) - as well as users with Russian IPs are not allowed to use Linked_in or Telegram.

VPN rulez  :party0031:

Thanks for your input! But then how is it that I'm able to find hundreds of Ukrainian members just from one state on VK. These aren't old/dated profiles either. These profiles are online & it's owners active. This clearly means that Ukrainians can create & use their accounts regardless the ban or blocking of IPs. But I really doubt if the IPs are blocked.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »
Pete there is a site known as https://www.ukrainedate.com/  where you pay for 1 month, 3 months or one year membership. Then the lady if she also has a paid membership can give you her contact details directly.

Many or most of the women on PPL sites have no clue who you are, it’s a complete scam. A translator is writing the letters to you, the models just check in once a week for their cut of the profit.

PT Barnum is attributed with saying there’s “a sucker born every minute”* and these sites are masters at extracting $$ from gullible westerners.

Steveboy’s site looks far more legitimate to me. Give up your illusion and start over completely. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/06/ukraine-wife-internet-romance-industry-online-scam

On the contrary I don't have any illusions. But what attracted me to UAdreams website is their webpage design & layout for the female profiles, great photography, a lot of quality images (of course the pictures are photoshoped a bit), videos etc. & of course great customer support. I did have my own doubts about the website. Read a ton of negative reviews. Saw some positive reviews. Some of the girls are real. But their intentions / endgame are doubtful. A lot of men with broken hearts after their first visit. In the end if it's a flop it's a big loss of money, time & energy! I just bought a few credits when they had good offers and use them sparingly and came to my own conclusions. So I've no illusions to give up and I haven't started out seriously to start over. :)

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 12:37:45 PM »

I've no illusions to give up and I haven't started out seriously to start over. But what attracted me to UAdreams website is their webpage design & layout for the female profiles, great photography, a lot of quality images (of course the pictures are photoshoped a bit. Can't blame them.), videos etc. & of course great customer support. I did have my own doubts about the website. Read a ton of negative reviews. Saw some positive reviews. Some of the girls are real. But their intentions / endgame are doubtful. A lot of men with broken hearts after their first visit. If the end is a flop then it's a big loss of money, time & energy! If one has that kind of money and time, sure one can try his luck. I just bought a few credits when they had good offers and use them sparingly and came to my own conclusions. Thanks for your support! Appreciate it :)

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »

I've no illusions to give up and I haven't started out seriously to start over. But what attracted me to UAdreams website is their webpage design & layout for the female profiles, great photography, a lot of quality images (of course the pictures are photoshoped a bit. Can't blame them.), videos etc. & of course great customer support. I did have my own doubts about the website. Read a ton of negative reviews. Saw some positive reviews. Some of the girls are real. But their intentions / endgame are doubtful. A lot of men with broken hearts after their first visit. If the end is a flop then it's a big loss of money, time & energy! If one has that kind of money and time, sure one can try his luck. I just bought a few credits when they had good offers, used them sparingly and came to my own conclusions. Thanks for your support! Appreciate it :)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Pete,

IF you are keen to find the lass elsewhere ..

Download her images ...

Upload them to Yandex.com  Their  image search engine ... Dragging and dropping from within a password protected site  will not work 

https://yandex.com/images/

IF she is wise - you will not find her as she will have made her SM profiles private
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »

Are you saying all the really beautiful women on every dating site are all unreal and gone? If it's true, yeah that sucks! :'(  Come to think of it, beautiful women don't need to stand & wait in a queue to be picked, right? But I wouldn't mind the embarrassment. At least I'll can tell myself that I tried & talked to beautiful women. I don't mean talk to them as in online letters. But in person, when I go to see Ukraine. I'm learning basic Ukrainian.  :reading: Baby steps really! Learning to say Dad & Mom and so on. :-* I think knowing the language will help.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »

On the contrary I don't have any illusions. But what attracted me to UAdreams website is their webpage design & layout for the female profiles, great photography, a lot of quality images (of course the pictures are photoshoped a bit), videos etc. & of course great customer support. I did have my own doubts about the website. Read a ton of negative reviews. Saw some positive reviews. Some of the girls are real. But their intentions / endgame are doubtful. A lot of men with broken hearts after their first visit. In the end if it's a flop it's a big loss of money, time & energy! I just bought a few credits when they had good offers and use them sparingly and came to my own conclusions. So I've no illusions to give up and I haven't started out seriously to start over. :)

Pete perhaps a better word is “delusions”. You’re contradicting yourself because in fact you wasted your hard earned cash on a PPL site.

Do you really think that if a woman was serious about dating and marrying a foreigner she would join a site which does everything in their power to prevent that?

You could have purchased a monthly membership to a legit site and made some progress.

Registration