The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: New President in Kazakhstan  (Read 1082 times)

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
New President in Kazakhstan
« on: March 30, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Did you find out that there were some protests recently in Kazakhstan and the president of 29 years stepped down.  they have a new president since 19 march.  I was in Europe and I didn't find out.  Its rare for there to be protests in central asia.  and I think he was a good leader.  he built the capital astana from nothing because 30 years ago there was nothing there.  its basically on the fringes of Siberia.  Astana really has great infrastructure, nice new buildings.  He really spent the oil money on his people and built them a world class capital.  I also found the people very friendly, especially in the airport.  Corruption and crime seemed to be quite low.  All in all a great place and rarely visited.  nice looking women too, and due to the relatively good economy, they have the most ethnic Russians in all of Central Asia.  the capital Astana was re named Nur Sultan in his honor on 20 march.  Kak interesna da?

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: New President in Kazakhstan
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:58:09 AM »
If you think he was a 'good leader'  then you'll fail to understand why the new 'President' will not really be  in charge

https://www.rferl.org/a/kazakh-president-nursultan-nazarbaev-says-he-is-resigning-/29830123.html

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: New President in Kazakhstan
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:25:08 AM »
Corruption and crime seemed to be quite low. 

In Kazakhstan? Low level of corruption? Are you joking, or what?  :ROFL:

...however I must admit, that for "German-speaking" ears the new name of Tselinograd \ Astana \ "Nur Sultan" (sultan only) sounds funny. At best  :chuckle:

Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Registration