The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: American wishing to obtain Russian citizenship  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
American wishing to obtain Russian citizenship
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »
Does anyone know if it is possible for an American to obtain Russian citizenship if married to a Russian woman, but without having to live in Russia? 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: American wishing to obtain Russian citizenship
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:15:23 AM »
Looks like yes, kinda, but you will still have to spend some time there. You will have to get married and then wait a few years before it becomes possible and, of course, your target must remain a Russian citizen.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/how-to-get-citizenship-in-russia

Asking for a friend?
But why would one do such a daft thing? To show 'solidarity' with some bint?
Because life is not complex enough?
Because one has more than one life to waste?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »
Looks like yes, kinda, but you will still have to spend some time there. You will have to get married and then wait a few years before it becomes possible and, of course, your target must remain a Russian citizen.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/how-to-get-citizenship-in-russia

Asking for a friend?
But why would one do such a daft thing? To show 'solidarity' with some bint?
Because life is not complex enough?
Because one has more than one life to waste?

- It will make sure you get access to Russia even after countries become hostile to each other and deny visas
- Save time, hassle and money getting Visas which is no longer required
- No overstay on your visa
- etc.

And thats just in 6 seconds thinking it through.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
In general terms, I can see benefits to having more than one passport, however, given the hoops, one must jump through, including finding and marrying some Russian woman, learning Russian well enough to pass the exam and, in theory at least, renouncing one's previous citizenship, it seems a bit of a fag just to save a few minutes getting a visa especially given that, as a spouse, one can get an LTR as a formality!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »
In general terms, I can see benefits to having more than one passport, however, given the hoops, one must jump through, including finding and marrying some Russian woman, learning Russian well enough to pass the exam and, in theory at least, renouncing one's previous citizenship, it seems a bit of a fag just to save a few minutes getting a visa especially given that, as a spouse, one can get an LTR as a formality!

On the other hand, if you already have married one, are learning the language anyway for at least go grocery shopping without the wife and if your home-country doesn't think its mandatory to drop your own citizenship then the red-tape is the only turnoff but compared to 10-20 RU-visa over 10 years that disadvantage also shrinks quickly.

In NL, i can't get an LTR as a formality and the family visa is accompanied by a few rules:
- I must get the VISA with both me+wife present at the embassy
- My wife and I must travel together at the same border crossing at the same time.
- Stay is limited to 90 days max.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
I know two US guys here who have Russian and US citizenship , but they have been living here over 25 years, married have kids and businesses here..

Not sure about getting citizenship the other way.. you can always buy it!! Not sure what the price is, every country sells citizenship , every thing is for sale if you have money even the old whore Clinton.. :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
Omega, You are looking for a florist in Kiev but citizenship in Russia. Last time I checked Kiev was not part of Russia.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »
I know two US guys here who have Russian and US citizenship , but they have been living here over 25 years, married have kids and businesses here..

Not sure about getting citizenship the other way.. you can always buy it!! Not sure what the price is, every country sells citizenship , every thing is for sale if you have money even the old whore Clinton.. :laugh:

Russia sells it for 100.000.000 roubles. which is close to 2 million dollars/euros.

However, you don't have to part with that money, you just need to have it available for 5 years in a row.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »

Russia sells it for 100.000.000 roubles. which is close to 2 million dollars/euros.

However, you don't have to part with that money, you just need to have it available for 5 years in a row.

It is is much less than that I think.. You can buy UK and US for that money plus a 5/6 more.. There are a few ways to gain Russian citizanship..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
Does anyone know if it is possible for an American to obtain Russian citizenship if married to a Russian woman, but without having to live in Russia?

Why don't you just move to Russia? Just need a suitcase and determination, you can do anything, any business , what ever you want, there are so many people in St petersburg doing all sorts of things, many started with nothing..

You'll get a better life and of course millions of women day and night :)

Offline yankee

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
Omega, You are looking for a florist in Kiev but citizenship in Russia. Last time I checked Kiev was not part of Russia.

You missed the invasion yesterday? :)
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »

I know.  WMVM. 

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
Not sure about now because one would need income, health insurance, fund a pension, etc. 

But down the road when I'm retired, it's a great place to live.  I couldn't find that quality of life, culture, etc at the same cost, anywhere in America. 

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 01:57:26 AM »
Not sure about now because one would need income, health insurance, fund a pension, etc. 

But down the road when I'm retired, it's a great place to live.  I couldn't find that quality of life, culture, etc at the same cost, anywhere in America.

That's the problem you have become domesticated and letting that domestication hold you back.. some times you come out on a lead from your semi content life..

You can leave any time you want and do what ever you want, you can make an income, health insurance ? your young i'm sure you can skip that for 4/5 years while you get established.. pension?? blimey your young, you can do a million things that will pay you more than any pension your saving for, that is if your pension hasn't been robbed by the time your 79..

If I was your age I would be off, wish I did when I was much younger...its on a plate for you waiting!

Online Guile

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 04:23:01 AM »
forget citizenship, have you even lived in Russia for over a few months?  if not i suggest you do it.  Americans can get a 3 year tourist visa. get that first.

You may think Russia is fun and exciting but trust me, even if you are in Moscow you will be craving alot of home stuff like 24/7 In and Out...

what city/state are you in?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 06:48:59 AM »
You might like to try what some members have done and teach English in Moscow

They seem to get by.

Though how a North American can teach proper English eludes me ;)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Guile

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 09:39:22 PM »

They seem to get by.

Funny I've taught English in more places than you ever will...

American English dominates the world now....ever heard a cockney or scouse accent?  are these guys even speaking English?  Listen to Conor Mcgregor's Irish accent or Darren Till... can't understand a damn word.

Most Russians I met said they prefer my clear, clean accent than someone from the UK.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »

They seem to get by.

You don't have to teach English! There are thousands and thousands of opportunities if you set your mind to it!

I have  friends who do all sorts of things, Run football training camps all over Russia, Run sports clubs they set up, have internet businesses doing all sorts of things, dating, hospitality, education, travel you name it some foreigners are here doing it. One friend from the US already sold up one net firm for a million, has plenty of prime property and started several other internet brands in the food industry..everyone is doing every thing and any thing :)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 09:47:28 AM »

Funny I've taught English in more places than you ever will...

I have NEVER tried to teach English - and have no qualifications to do so ..   

Given your imagination - hilarious 'impressions' of places you claim to have visited  - and promises you can''t keep ( to visit !)  - I seriously wonder if anything you've posted has happened

American English dominates the world now....ever heard a cockney or scouse accent?  are these guys even speaking English?  Listen to Conor Mcgregor's Irish accent or Darren Till... can't understand a damn word.

You cannot understand, because you have no experience.. ;)

Most Russians I met said they prefer my clear, clean accent than someone from the UK.

:ROFL:

Now, I KNOW you are making it up ..

You might like to check with our absent Canadian friend who made a crust in Moscow.... He thought the same until he introduced some of his students to me ;)

I 'forgot' - you have lots of 'fwends' on VK

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 03:43:20 AM »
A few more stories about relocating to Russia to help with the citizen issue..

And you don't even need to speak ANY Russian to do it..

You can find a nice Russian women to support you while you get yourself off the ground like this guy..and take it from there, if you find real love in Russia she's going to do every thing possible to help you..the rest is up to you..

https://www.facebook.com/russiabeyond/videos/2293863050881774/?eid=ARC5b0rPU8-BvVeY63pezaIsxvNQBCv4-Zk19AADBVgrGbpdd-M1Zrphm6B6RC9dYOGboKCYgJc90nCI

Or you can arrive with a little money and set a business up, no need to speak Russian again to get started.. just do the work and make it happen.. here's a young girl who managed to do it a long with many many others..

https://www.rbth.com/business/330215-vietnamese-cafe

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
Or you can arrive with a little money and set a business up, no need to speak Russian again to get started.. just do the work and make it happen.. here's a young girl who managed to do it a long with many many others..

https://www.rbth.com/business/330215-vietnamese-cafe

I admire her and people like her.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Valenki

• Spouses Country: Czecho-SLOVAKIA
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 11:55:40 AM »
You could ask Steven Seagal how he did it but he'll probably only go off on a rant about what a wonderful person he is and that Jean-Claude Van Damme is inferior.
Free The Peoples Republics of Lugansk and Donetsk!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »
You could ask Steven Seagal how he did it but he'll probably only go off on a rant about what a wonderful person he is and that Jean-Claude Van Damme is inferior.

Video below that was snuck out of Russia shows how Steven Seagal got his Russian citizenship and Russian passport. Notice the technique Seagal uses when shaking hands with the guy working at the office that issues out passports. Hard to see but Seagal actually slips the guy issuing out passport 10 Rubles. It's that easy to become a Russian citizen.

Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Valenki

• Spouses Country: Czecho-SLOVAKIA
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »

Video below that was snuck out of Russia shows how Steven Seagal got his Russian citizenship and Russian passport. Notice the technique Seagal uses when shaking hands with the guy working at the office that issues out passports. Hard to see but Seagal actually slips the guy issuing out passport 10 Rubles. It's that easy to become a Russian citizen.

"the guy handing Seagal his passport" in the video is Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and I am certain that 10 Rubles would not go that far. There is a huge difference between a bribe and a tip. In some other video, Seagal says he was granted Russian citizenship because he "knows some very powerful people" but I take that as a boast and nothing more than that.
Free The Peoples Republics of Lugansk and Donetsk!

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
In some other video, Seagal says he was granted Russian citizenship because he "knows some very powerful people" but I take that as a boast and nothing more than that.

Seagal boasts a lot but he's actually good friends with Putin. Putin is into martial arts and has taken a liking to Seagal.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Registration