The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Obtaining Russian Citizenship for a child of a Russian woman once divorce final.  (Read 941 times)

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
Thanks Gipsy, and that is precisely my fear.  If there is no warranties for me to have control on the children in Russia, I will wait until they become adults so they make a decision on returning and having opportunities.  What I want to do is to buy an apartment for each of them so they don't have to worry about where to stay.

I have legal and physical custody of both children from the US, but this means nothing to the Russian government unless there is a loophole based on mother's mental illness (and I have three hospital reports plus Court records attesting to that). What I will do is to try to find answers about this particular matter.  I have already in place plan B and C regarding other countries.  I have been to Russia and spent time there, and Russia is an excellent place to raise children with family values and excellent education, and with minimum push from anybody to expose them to homosexual proclivity such as now happens in the US.  Even though I don't care or pay attention to homosexuals, I want to minimize exposure to them.

You could avoid the nonsense you mentioned at the end by sending your kids to a private Christian school, however and very unfortunately those pushing this agenda will continue their efforts to infiltrate and weaken Christian values and Christian parents authority over their own children.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Pushkinlov

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Manny, I read your reply to Gipsy.  If that is true, then the maternal grandmother may sign or send a power of attorney letter to the embassy signing the application for citizenship.  Grandmother is aware of mother's mental illness.  So I have to explore this route.  Yet I want to keep control of the children, and if grandmother wants to come and live with us, that would be great.

AvHdB I will explore the Grand Rapids area, although I know in Cancun there is a Russian Speaking community and I just need to explore for educational opportunities.  I am skeptical about staying in the US. My children were taken by Children Services due to mother's violent behavior so they are in the system now here.  I have seen how children become objects of trade by the legal system (many people want my children so they can make money from them).  So I want to get the out of this country. 

A friend from Donetsk offered to educate my children, but I am not sure about this option. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Are you a target of child stealers for some reason? How come you and they are exposed to circumstances where that might be the case?
Are these kids your natural kids or some other father's?

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Pushkiniov,

Thank you for your reply. I would not worry about the educational system in Russia or Ukraine.

You need a lawyer, I would make a priority of gaining "control" of your children. You will need a couple things 1.) A job (you indicate you have the means to do this independently ) 2.) Stable housing.

You will need to be able to convince the court of these facts.

Worry about future education in 4 to 6 months.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Pushkinlov

andrewfi, they are my natural kids, still very small.  Once a child goes through the system (children services) here they become coveted objects for profit and they will be taken away for any reason (I am speaking about government people). They are half Russian children which make them more of a target.  I recovered them against many people's wishes because they tried to keep them.  I don't want to expose them. 

AvHdB, I have enough means to support them.  I want to buy a flat in Russia, Moscow or Peter, but I am looking also at other cities with safety ratings such as Krasnodar or Sochi.  The cost of living in Russia is less than in the US.

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
So the children are with you now, correct?

Than move to another state once you have your affairs in order. It will force the Social (Child) Services to move files and case workers.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Pushkinlov

I hope everything will be in order in three months.  Yes, the children are with me. Once I deal with the legal issues in the Russian Embassy then I will know where to go.  Yet, I must look for the future for them, and Russia will be in the equation.  Once they become adults, they will have choices. 

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
Something missing in this narrative.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato.
Wiz loves talking out of his A******e - Me.

Online BillyB

Pushkinlov, If you have 100% custody, you can take your kids anywhere you want. If the ex has any rights, you can't move very far without her permission.

If you move to Russia and your ex goes there and fights for custody, she may win custody of the kids. Money talks in Russia and can influence decisions. Russian doctors may not rule her as crazy as American doctors may have done.

Don't know where you live in America but there's plenty of good public and private schools in America that are good. Your kids have the best chance to survive and thrive here than anywhere else in the world. Less chance they will struggle here than in Russia.

Online msmoby

This is not amateur hour

The OP should seek legal advice... as without ALL the facts he will get crappier advice than he is already receiving

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
To get the child Russia citizenship, BOTH parents have to attend the consulate, the Russian citizen makes the application on behalf of the child, and the foreign citizen have to sign to his/her agreement to the application.

When we did this, my participation was vague and not really required. It wasn't essential I was there, she just had to "get it signed" IIRC. From what I made out, if a Russian citizen applies for citizenship for their kid, it'll happen with or without the *actual* involvement of the other parent if foreign. Different consulates may vary of course.

In the Netherlands, I was actually denied entry to the RU-embassy for this (only people with an appointment allowed).

We did manage to make the guard feel the consequenses of his actions though....

The next time, I could enter the embassy, no problem.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Pushkinlov

The mother has not seen the kids in months.  Divorce will be completed in three months.  All recommendations from doctors and officials are that I retain the legal and physical custody.  Mother has not addressed mental illness and recommendations from the Court, and didn't even show up in the last Court hearing.  So I know mother has rights to monitored visits but has not exercised those rights.  She even threatened to harm the children and I have hard evidence about it; the Court also has it.  I am in Southern California.  I will request the Court a move away decision (leave to other country).  If my children were not in the children services system I would stay, but now they became coveted for profit by a variety of people who are involved in the children services system.  I actually was warned by a Russian Speaking staff within the system that they these people wanted the children, but I maneuver to recovered them.

I know that in Russia they couldn't care less about the US law.  The only way I would take them to Russia is if I have guarantees in writing from the Russian government that I will have the sole legal and physical custody of the children.  I will have all documentation to prove her mental conditions.  I think she has a history of hospitalizations  in Russia too.  I know that in the forum many people read a variety of circumstances involving children and I wanted to get some hints and orientation.  I learned some elements to consider already such as bringing grand mother to the picture and ask her to testify about the mother's condition.  She is already old and ill, and she was also victim of the mother's rage.  So I want to give it a try and approach the embassy.  If it does not work then the children will be with me in another country, safe and sound.  I just want the children to grow in a healthy and safe environment, with good education.  Russia offers that (I have been there quite a few times and spend time also).  However, other countries are ok as well.

Offline Fashionista

AvHdB, I have enough means to support them.  I want to buy a flat in Russia, Moscow or Peter, but I am looking also at other cities with safety ratings such as Krasnodar or Sochi.  The cost of living in Russia is less than in the US.

Moscow and Peter aren't the only places to live in Russia, and to some (including myself) not the best. You could try other places. For example small towns in Novosibirsk oblast come to mind. Akademgorodok is a highly educated place with many people who travel and speak English. A bit more expensive than the places around it but certainly not as expensive as Moscow.

How resilient are you to long harsh winters? Do you like skiing?  ;D

Online BillyB

So I know mother has rights to monitored visits but has not exercised those rights.  She even threatened to harm the children and I have hard evidence about it; the Court also has it.

Court recognizes your wife having a mental illness yet they still granted her monitored visitation rights. She has rights to the children and you can't take the kids very far unless you get her permission. Unless you can get the court to remove all her rights with new damaging evidence, I doubt you will be legally moving the kids to Russia.

If my children were not in the children services system I would stay, but now they became coveted for profit by a variety of people who are involved in the children services system.  I actually was warned by a Russian Speaking staff within the system that they these people wanted the children, but I maneuver to recovered them.

For profit people wants your kids? That is not going to happen unless they can prove both parents are harmful to the kids. Is someone making a claim against you?

The only way I would take them to Russia is if I have guarantees in writing from the Russian government that I will have the sole legal and physical custody of the children. 

No government is going to guarantee you get to keep your kids forever. They don't know if you're going to be a good parent forever. They will reserve the right to take away your rights. What you can try to do is take away your wife's rights to the kids in America first and then go to court in Russia and get them to strip the wife's rights to the kids too.

Offline Pushkinlov

Thank you Fashionista, yes I have explored Novosibirsk and also Tomsk and also Tyumen which is the city with the highest standards of living in Russia.  I have been staying in Russia when it is under 30 degrees celsius.  That's extreme.  Siberia can easily get under 40 and more.  The question is if the children can get used to that, and that's why I was looking at Krasnodar and Sochi which are safer places than the average town in Russia.

BillyB, thank you, you have sharp comments and you seems to be familiar with legal matters regarding children.  You hit the nail in the head.  The mother should not have any rights with respect to the children for me to legally move the children to Russia without any implications here.  The other side of the equation is the legal rights of the mother in Russia.  If I can establish clearly that she is a threat to the health and safety of the children, I may obtain guarantees to retain the children.  I am not really worry about any perception of me not being a good father, and I still need to be careful.  I will try to obtain a move away decision from the Court.  If that is granted then the door will be open more and more, but still I must move carefully.  If I see significant risks, I will just stay around. 

Regarding the "system" protecting children here, I just don't believe in it based on my experience and other people experiences whose children are in the system. I witnessed their cases.  Money drives the interest of many people who claim they protect children.  I would qualify many actions of these people as "legal trafficking".  But that is another topic of discussion.

These conversations are helping me to focus.  I appreciate that.