The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia now bans use of smartphones when on duty  (Read 6392 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russia now bans use of smartphones when on duty
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:33:50 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47302938

Russia bans smartphones for soldiers over social media fears

"Russia's parliament has voted to ban soldiers from using smartphones while on duty, after their social media use raised issues of national security.

The bill forbids military personnel from using a phone with the ability to take pictures, record videos and access the internet."

Can you imagine? ..There are those that suggested such info gleaned was 'false' .... !

"Why is there a ban?
Russian officials said the move was necessary to protect military information from foreign intelligence services.

In recent years, social media posts by servicemen have revealed Russia's military presence in eastern Ukraine and Syria, sometimes contradicting the government's official claim of not having troops there."

It is said, that Ukrainian positions in E.Ukraine was targeted - accurately - as drones monitored signals from smart phones and triangulated .

This may be another - valid  - reason.
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: Russia now bans use of smartphones when on duty
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
Soldiers have in the past posted stuff on social media that compromised operations.

They are paid to soldier, not prod phones.

Seems reasonable to me. Only you and the BBC would see dubious motives.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
USA was also caught with their pants down, as a super-secret hidden base suddenly turned up on google-maps as an interesting spot because of all the health-monitor activity from smartphones. It was labeled a 'gym' in the middle of nowhere and people started becoming curious, thus uncovering the base.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
I am certain a lot of spouses are also caught with their pants down by their cell phones.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:38 PM »
What's your point Manny?

All modern militaries have been caught out by this. If it wasn't Russian troops on "holidays" in Ukraine embarrassing their boss who said they weren't there, it was US and Aussie soldiers creating fitbit records in the deserts as they ran around bases.

Or are you upset that it was moby linking the story to those here who denied such an idea as proof people were where they shouldn't be?

The only way to stay "silent" these days is to ditch technology like "smart" phones and watches. Even encrypting communications will no longer work in Australia thanks to the Governments new laws.
"you've got nothing to fear if you're doing nothing wrong" they say .......  :whist11:
"what about my privacy" I say 

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
I am certain a lot of spouses are also caught with their pants down by their cell phones.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
I thought the point Manny was making was quite obvious, no?

As far as I understand, its normal protocol for serving soldiers on duty to leave their phone and other personal items, securely stowed away at base. If you were caught by a sand soldier whilst on patrol, anything that they find on you that isn't military will be used as leverage, to make you do stuff you shouldn't.

Moby, as I understand, has done the usual "Look at what Russia is doing" and twisted it for the benefit of his own agenda. As Manny said, Moby and the BBC fly together and should stick to reporting stuff that nobody cares about. See below;

Liberals are outraged that Will Smith is due to play the part of Venus & Serena Williams father in an up coming movie - because he isn't black enough!!  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

These are the same people who aren't racist yet still find ways of causing problems, based on skin colour! Black man doesn't get job because he's not black enough.....you couldn't make it up and thanks BBC.  :sick0012:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47468011

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
well sorry to burst your bubble, but Aussie Special Forces getting banned from carrying electronics was also a news story in the Great Southern Land. Seems common sense just isn't that common...who knew??

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
USA was also caught with their pants down, as a super-secret hidden base suddenly turned up on google-maps as an interesting spot because of all the health-monitor activity from smartphones. It was labeled a 'gym' in the middle of nowhere and people started becoming curious, thus uncovering the base.

That was funny. It makes one wonder about the calibre of people getting put into these stressful and rather important situations. I wonder how many people have been caught out using Google Timelines that have been made public and then not made private again. I find that a very handy tool on occasion but I would HATE, HATE, HATE for anyone other than myself to see it!

Just imagine the mayhem that would be caused by a load of Russian mobiles bagged up and driven around Donbas! I recall back in 2014 how fighters were using mobiles on the Ukrainian side. It was like walking around with a target on one's back just waiting to be blown up by guided munitions.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
Is it possible Russia is warning against cell phones being used in a war zone as they prepare to send even more troops into Ukraine?

https://www.unian.info/war/10420062-russia-triples-recon-activity-in-donbas-preparing-for-offensive-commander-nayev.html

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »

And Russia has been busted by social media use of their soldiers in Ukraine on numerous occasions.

"USING DIGITAL
FORENSICS TO
EXPOSE RUSSIA’S
WAR IN UKRAINE
While the Kremlin continues to deny the role of regular Russian forces in Ukraine, Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine
and Ukrainian and Russian civilians on both sides of the war
are posting photographs and videos of convoys, equipment,
and themselves on the Internet. Satellite imagery captures
the movement of Russian troops and camp buildup along the
Ukrainian border. These pieces of evidence create an undeniable—and publicly accessible—record of Russian involvement in Ukraine.
Digital forensic techniques involve verifying the locations
of where videos and photographs were taken in a process
known as “geolocating.”23 Geolocation differs from “geotagging,” which is the automated process of adding geographical
identification data to various media such as photographs and
videos. Only a fraction of photographs and videos recorded
on smartphones, digital cameras, and tablets that are posted online contain an embedded “geotag” of their location.
Geolocation techniques, however, allow an investigator to
firmly establish the location of recorded images even without
an embedded geotag. Using photographs posted on various
social media sites, in combination with satellite imagery and
“street view” images from services such as Google Earth and
Yandex Maps, investigative geolocation techniques pinpoint
the coordinates of where photographs were taken.24 Geolocation is thus a powerful and effective tool for tracking individuals and the images they produce.25
The geolocation methodology used in this report combines
multiple sources of open domain information to track the
movement of soldiers, vehicles, and cross-border shelling
from Russia to Ukraine. All the sources used in this report are
publically available to anyone with access to the Internet, and
the techniques used are documented throughout. The aspect
of Russian involvement in Ukraine with the widest breadth of
open source information is the movement of heavy military
equipment across the border, with hundreds of videos and
photographs uploaded by ordinary Russians and Ukrainians
who have witnessed direct Russian support of the hostilities
in eastern Ukraine.
23 Many devices with network capability (smartphones, tablets, and...
"

https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/191186/Hiding-in-Plain_Sight_0529.pdf

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
This is also an excellent and well researched PDF article of 88 pages documenting Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

http://www.interpretermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMR_Invasion_By_Any_Other_Name.pdf

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Video about Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine and taking selfies.

https://lifeinua.info/russian-soldiers-prove-they-fight-in-ukraine/

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
Then of course there was this Russian rocket attack, from Russian territory, fired into Ukrane.  But some claim that Russia hasn't invaded Ukraine, and that it's only a civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelenopillya_rocket_attack

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
Russian heavy artillery was used during the battle of Debaltseve.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/russia-unleashes-artillery-in-eastern-ukraine-fba04677463d

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 03:57:49 PM »
Russian Soldiers have given up pretending they are not fighting in Ukraine.

St. Petersburg native Dmitry Sapozhnikov, who went to Ukraine in October to fight alongside the rebels, told the BBC Russian service in a candid interview from Donetsk that Russian military units have played a decisive role in rebel advances, including the operations in February that led to the capture of the transport hub of Debaltseve. Russian officers directly command large military operations in eastern Ukraine, he noted.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/438kv3/russian-soldiers-have-given-up-pretending-they-are-not-fighting-in-ukraine

Offline Wiz

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »
This is also an excellent and well researched PDF article of 88 pages documenting Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

http://www.interpretermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMR_Invasion_By_Any_Other_Name.pdf

Isn’t just Amazing, that you had to make such an effort and a huge search to find many sources to prove your Government’s standard propaganda that “Everything it’s Russia’s fault” and it’s the biggest Criminal state in comparison with all western countries and especially the Exceptional Democracy USA.

Nice try to divert attention from Venezuela and the USA antics and actions there, to destroy that country and steal its oil reserves and other Natural wealth!

Standard Practice used by all undemocratic Governments around the world to dilute attention for their actions. Through the corporative and other friendly Media….. Offer to the public many different subjects, like you have done here, like political scandals, financial attacks or scandals and so on; but let’s have a laugh with your posts.

Firstly let’s not forget that it was the USA Ambassador Gofrey Pyatt, an CIA  employee together with the Zionist Jew Victoria Nulan,  who organised the putsch and executed the Regime Change in Kiev and who still support financially the corrupt Poroshenko Government. Do you remember that the Ashkenazi Jew Poroshenko started bombing Dombass after the CIA director John Brennan travelled to Kiev on 16 April 2014, that has killed over 10K innocent people!

Now let's see your first evidence from the The Institute of Modern Russia, Inc. 2015 based at 231 West 29th Street, Suite 908, New York, NY 10001

"Mission

The Institute of Modern Russia (IMR) is a public policy think-tank that strives to establish an intellectual framework for building a democratic Russia governed by rule of law. IMR promotes social, economic, and institutional development in Russia through research, analysis, advocacy, and outreach. Our goal is to advance Russia's integration into the community of democracies and to improve its cooperation on the global stage."

President: Pavel Khodorkovskiy

He is the son of Russian businessman and former prisoner Mikhail Khodorkovsky, who was once the richest person in Russia.

Private military company (PMC)

I would not continue checking your various posts but I have to say that the USA is well known for using Private Contractors ie "Mercenaries" like the "Academy" or "Blackwater" and others.

Here Is the List of Military Contractors.

List of private military contractors

Personally I cannot confirm or dispute if the Russians have used a PMC company to help the Donbass and Lugansk  independent regions of Ukraine or their army personnel and of course various sources to supply arms.

All I know from my several visits to Ukraine is that apart from the Lvov Area and surrounding West parts No other part is using the Ukrainian language and they spoke Russian due to the long association with the USSR.

Everything changed.... after your country together with Germany decided to interfere and created the current situation.

Otherwise continue posting .....or take a look on the right.........

Every time you click photos are changing and the size of the melons gets bigger...

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »

Every time you click photos are changing and the size of the melons gets bigger...

Congratulations what a post of BS & lies wiz.

Curious when you look on the right does one or both brains get smaller?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »
Wiz’s logic is that because the USA is a “mafia state” this justifies anything that Russia does. He thinks that if we have ever invaded another country it’s okay if Russia invades others.

Notice he never denied that Russia has indeed invaded Ukraine.

It’s moral relativism also known as “whataboutism”.

It doesn’t matter if you say “because the USA did such and such” using Wiz logic we can substitute another country for USA, for example why not use Germany? Because Germany invaded Ukraine this gives Russia the right to invade Ukraine.

And the language nonsense? Nazi Germany had a right to invade Crimea, after all there were a lot of ethnic Germans in Crimea. The language excuse is going to work great for the Chinese in the Far East. And China did indeed own lands in the Far East, they can claim those lands historically have belonged to China.

This Pandora box of problems is why normal countries agreed to keep consistent boundaries after WWII.

Unfortunately irrational types with “flexible” morals are always looking for excuses to break International law.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 03:13:05 AM »
My logic is that any country who can manipulate a situation to benefit themselves will. Take that anyway you wish from the extreme to the most subtle of influencing but it happens.

Russia undoubtedly gets involved in global affairs and attempts to manipulate a given situation to their advantage but why would any super power sit back, do nothing and watch their rivals manipulate a situation to their disadvantage? It is really that simple. The west on then other hand gets annoyed when we have competition.

With that in mind, I detest the one way Russia bad boy bull shit we get rammed down our throats in the west. Not because I'm in denial but its the blatant hypocracy of our own governments and the double standards we've been brainwashed to accept or ignore.

And yes, I still believe the USA is the worst offender when it comes to destabilising and raping sovereign nations for their own financial and political benefit.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 04:19:00 AM »

Congratulations what a post of BS & lies wiz.

Curious when you look on the right does one or both brains get smaller?

AV

Obviously it's in your duty, everytime you see and read something that is touching Zionism, Jewish and Israhel.......to intervene and try to spoil, divert attention and ridicule the writer of the post...... calling his post full of BS & Lies.

Well here is your chance to prove your statements.....against my previous post of BS and Lies, otherwise take cover.... if you don't do anything then get ready

Regarding your second ....comment and curiosity.... I have to tell you that I don't sleep alone, as you do, with a bottle to keep you warm. Unlike you, I have a younger companion  to keep warm my bed.......and not a bottle of wine.  FYI actually both my brains are fully active!

Connecticut right now must be very cold..... and not fun.

:coffeeread:

Rosco

Well done for the very eloquent explanation to some brain dead or manipulated/programised people, posted while I was typing my mine!

Thank you

:BEER:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online Guile

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 04:56:46 AM »
Stick to the facts Wiz

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
My logic is that any country who can manipulate a situation to benefit themselves will. Take that anyway you wish from the extreme to the most subtle of influencing but it happens.

Russia undoubtedly gets involved in global affairs and attempts to manipulate a given situation to their advantage but why would any super power sit back, do nothing and watch their rivals manipulate a situation to their disadvantage? It is really that simple. The west on then other hand gets annoyed when we have competition.

With that in mind, I detest the one way Russia bad boy bull shit we get rammed down our throats in the west. Not because I'm in denial but its the blatant hypocracy of our own governments and the double standards we've been brainwashed to accept or ignore.

And yes, I still believe the USA is the worst offender when it comes to destabilising and raping sovereign nations for their own financial and political benefit.

A super post.  :bow:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »

I’ve already previously written, many times, that I would like the USA to pack up and leave the Middle East. Furthermore I firmly believe American foreign policy is not our own, we’re being manipulated and controlled by Zionists when it comes to these foreign wars.

President Trump ran on ending these foolish wars and 63 million Americans voted for him. That’s at least 63 million Americans who firmly want our foreign policy to change. You probably don’t pay attention that closely to USA politics but when Trump announced he was withdrawing from Syria our Zionist controlled media and the left-wingers went into hyperdrive saying he was capitulating to “our enemy Putin/Russia”.

Trump has been dogged from day one with the bogus Russian collusion narrative, which makes it very difficult for him to have meetings with and make deals with Putin’s Russia. And yet he’s avoided getting suckered into a war with Russia.

Considering they’re at least 63 million Americans who want peace, I wonder how many Russians want peace with Ukraine? Peace is what most rational people hope for. It might be difficult to avoid looking at US foreign policy in the past but it would be the best.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 05:55:58 PM »
Wiz’s logic is that because the USA is a “mafia state” this justifies anything that Russia does. He thinks that if we have ever invaded another country it’s okay if Russia invades others.

Notice he never denied that Russia has indeed invaded Ukraine.

It’s moral relativism also known as “whataboutism”.

My logic is that I compare apples with apples and then I make up my mind and express my views. Just because it happens I am married to a Russian woman that does not mean necessary I support any actions from Russia.

I think that your country has invaded and destroyed a large number of countries and killed millions of innocent people, who did not wanted to accept your “Democratic Principals and values” and there it’s not “If” because it’s a fact that you cannot deny whichever way you are wording your text!

I have never made such a statement to justify Russia’s actions or any possible intentions. Nice try, now pull the other one……

Russia has not invaded Crimea.... it was there always since 1783. Having followed the events during and after the Regime change in Ukraine by the actions of your CIA. It is my view that according to the French Observers, the referendum was perfectly legal and without fraught.

The USA and its vassals in NATO can say what ever they want. I suggest you learn to read history

It doesn’t matter if you say “because the USA did such and such” using Wiz logic we can substitute another country for USA, for example why not use Germany? Because Germany invaded Ukraine this gives Russia the right to invade Ukraine.

And the language nonsense? Nazi Germany had a right to invade Crimea, after all there were a lot of ethnic Germans in Crimea. The language excuse is going to work great for the Chinese in the Far East. And China did indeed own lands in the Far East, they can claim those lands historically have belonged to China.

This Pandora box of problems is why normal countries agreed to keep consistent boundaries after WWII.

Unfortunately irrational types with “flexible” morals are always looking for excuses to break International law.

Try harder as your country does not respect any laws, International or local and everybody know it!

It's you who has "flexible Morals" and you keep trying to cover your dishonest and "Mafia State".

:fighting0025:

Registration