The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia now bans use of smartphones when on duty  (Read 1105 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russia now bans use of smartphones when on duty
« on: March 01, 2019, 03:33:50 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47302938

Russia bans smartphones for soldiers over social media fears

"Russia's parliament has voted to ban soldiers from using smartphones while on duty, after their social media use raised issues of national security.

The bill forbids military personnel from using a phone with the ability to take pictures, record videos and access the internet."

Can you imagine? ..There are those that suggested such info gleaned was 'false' .... !

"Why is there a ban?
Russian officials said the move was necessary to protect military information from foreign intelligence services.

In recent years, social media posts by servicemen have revealed Russia's military presence in eastern Ukraine and Syria, sometimes contradicting the government's official claim of not having troops there."

It is said, that Ukrainian positions in E.Ukraine was targeted - accurately - as drones monitored signals from smart phones and triangulated .

This may be another - valid  - reason.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
Re: Russia now bans use of smartphones when on duty
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »
Soldiers have in the past posted stuff on social media that compromised operations.

They are paid to soldier, not prod phones.

Seems reasonable to me. Only you and the BBC would see dubious motives.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »
USA was also caught with their pants down, as a super-secret hidden base suddenly turned up on google-maps as an interesting spot because of all the health-monitor activity from smartphones. It was labeled a 'gym' in the middle of nowhere and people started becoming curious, thus uncovering the base.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
I am certain a lot of spouses are also caught with their pants down by their cell phones.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:38 PM »
What's your point Manny?

All modern militaries have been caught out by this. If it wasn't Russian troops on "holidays" in Ukraine embarrassing their boss who said they weren't there, it was US and Aussie soldiers creating fitbit records in the deserts as they ran around bases.

Or are you upset that it was moby linking the story to those here who denied such an idea as proof people were where they shouldn't be?

The only way to stay "silent" these days is to ditch technology like "smart" phones and watches. Even encrypting communications will no longer work in Australia thanks to the Governments new laws.
"you've got nothing to fear if you're doing nothing wrong" they say .......  :whist11:
"what about my privacy" I say 

Online Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
I am certain a lot of spouses are also caught with their pants down by their cell phones.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"We'll start over again. Grow ourselves new skin. Get a house in Devon. Drink cider from a lemon." ~ Feeder

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »
I thought the point Manny was making was quite obvious, no?

As far as I understand, its normal protocol for serving soldiers on duty to leave their phone and other personal items, securely stowed away at base. If you were caught by a sand soldier whilst on patrol, anything that they find on you that isn't military will be used as leverage, to make you do stuff you shouldn't.

Moby, as I understand, has done the usual "Look at what Russia is doing" and twisted it for the benefit of his own agenda. As Manny said, Moby and the BBC fly together and should stick to reporting stuff that nobody cares about. See below;

Liberals are outraged that Will Smith is due to play the part of Venus & Serena Williams father in an up coming movie - because he isn't black enough!!  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

These are the same people who aren't racist yet still find ways of causing problems, based on skin colour! Black man doesn't get job because he's not black enough.....you couldn't make it up and thanks BBC.  :sick0012:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47468011

Online redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
well sorry to burst your bubble, but Aussie Special Forces getting banned from carrying electronics was also a news story in the Great Southern Land. Seems common sense just isn't that common...who knew??

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
USA was also caught with their pants down, as a super-secret hidden base suddenly turned up on google-maps as an interesting spot because of all the health-monitor activity from smartphones. It was labeled a 'gym' in the middle of nowhere and people started becoming curious, thus uncovering the base.

That was funny. It makes one wonder about the calibre of people getting put into these stressful and rather important situations. I wonder how many people have been caught out using Google Timelines that have been made public and then not made private again. I find that a very handy tool on occasion but I would HATE, HATE, HATE for anyone other than myself to see it!

Just imagine the mayhem that would be caused by a load of Russian mobiles bagged up and driven around Donbas! I recall back in 2014 how fighters were using mobiles on the Ukrainian side. It was like walking around with a target on one's back just waiting to be blown up by guided munitions.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
Is it possible Russia is warning against cell phones being used in a war zone as they prepare to send even more troops into Ukraine?

https://www.unian.info/war/10420062-russia-triples-recon-activity-in-donbas-preparing-for-offensive-commander-nayev.html
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Online Confederate

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »

And Russia has been busted by social media use of their soldiers in Ukraine on numerous occasions.

"USING DIGITAL
FORENSICS TO
EXPOSE RUSSIA’S
WAR IN UKRAINE
While the Kremlin continues to deny the role of regular Russian forces in Ukraine, Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine
and Ukrainian and Russian civilians on both sides of the war
are posting photographs and videos of convoys, equipment,
and themselves on the Internet. Satellite imagery captures
the movement of Russian troops and camp buildup along the
Ukrainian border. These pieces of evidence create an undeniable—and publicly accessible—record of Russian involvement in Ukraine.
Digital forensic techniques involve verifying the locations
of where videos and photographs were taken in a process
known as “geolocating.”23 Geolocation differs from “geotagging,” which is the automated process of adding geographical
identification data to various media such as photographs and
videos. Only a fraction of photographs and videos recorded
on smartphones, digital cameras, and tablets that are posted online contain an embedded “geotag” of their location.
Geolocation techniques, however, allow an investigator to
firmly establish the location of recorded images even without
an embedded geotag. Using photographs posted on various
social media sites, in combination with satellite imagery and
“street view” images from services such as Google Earth and
Yandex Maps, investigative geolocation techniques pinpoint
the coordinates of where photographs were taken.24 Geolocation is thus a powerful and effective tool for tracking individuals and the images they produce.25
The geolocation methodology used in this report combines
multiple sources of open domain information to track the
movement of soldiers, vehicles, and cross-border shelling
from Russia to Ukraine. All the sources used in this report are
publically available to anyone with access to the Internet, and
the techniques used are documented throughout. The aspect
of Russian involvement in Ukraine with the widest breadth of
open source information is the movement of heavy military
equipment across the border, with hundreds of videos and
photographs uploaded by ordinary Russians and Ukrainians
who have witnessed direct Russian support of the hostilities
in eastern Ukraine.
23 Many devices with network capability (smartphones, tablets, and...
"

https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/191186/Hiding-in-Plain_Sight_0529.pdf
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Online Confederate

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 03:34:44 PM »
This is also an excellent and well researched PDF article of 88 pages documenting Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

http://www.interpretermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMR_Invasion_By_Any_Other_Name.pdf

Online Confederate

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Video about Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine and taking selfies.

https://lifeinua.info/russian-soldiers-prove-they-fight-in-ukraine/

Online Confederate

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:07 PM »
Then of course there was this Russian rocket attack, from Russian territory, fired into Ukrane.  But some claim that Russia hasn't invaded Ukraine, and that it's only a civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelenopillya_rocket_attack

Online Confederate

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
Russian heavy artillery was used during the battle of Debaltseve.

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/russia-unleashes-artillery-in-eastern-ukraine-fba04677463d

Registration