The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Prominent US investor Michael Calvey detained in Russia  (Read 2080 times)

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Prominent US investor Michael Calvey detained in Russia
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
Prominent US investor Michael Calvey detained in Russia

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
Re: Prominent US investor Michael Calvey detained in Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 10:25:38 PM »

Sounds like the Russian government is going to repo another big business and it's assets.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 01:52:08 AM »
Who really cares about some big US investor company director? I don't!!

Most big investment companies are fiddling the taxes, sticking money in offshore accounts in their own countries let alone Russia.. Actually they are nearly all a bunch of bloody crooks along with most corporations..lol

Look at Amazon.. they pay **** all taxes, yet if it was you or me failing to pay a 5000 VAT return they would throw the book at you..but that's the way it always is for poor old Joe public..

Hope they prove him guilty and send him to a penal colony in Siberia.. :thumbsup:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 05:18:05 AM »
It looks like foreigners are getting caught up in the Russian crackdown on corruption - it was bound to happen. Given what I have seen elsewhere, I'd suspect that foreigners operating in Russia are probably more corrupt (when in Russia) than Russians are.

I'd expect to see more such cases - of course, it isn't first high profile case but it might be the first one where the Russians have been able to lay hands on a suspect rather than them fleeing the country first.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration