The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: An Invasion Of Polar Bears!  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
An Invasion Of Polar Bears!
« on: February 15, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »
Here’s an interesting story about several dozen Polar Bears meandering through populated areas of Russia. Apparently this sort of occurrence merits the declaration of an emergency.

http://time.com/5526741/polar-bears-russia/

"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 20+
Re: An Invasion Of Polar Bears!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »
More on the story.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47185112

"People are scared, afraid to leave their homes, their daily routines are being broken, and parents are unwilling to let their children go to school or kindergarten," the deputy head of the local administration, Alexander Minayev, said.

With Arctic sea ice diminishing as a result of climate change, polar bears are forced to change their hunting habits and spend more time on land looking for food - which potentially puts them in conflict with humans.
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »
I suppose they could capture them and rehome them away from people.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »
I guess one bear could play the mythical St. Baldrick and donate a wig to President Trump.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
Poor old bears they will be just like foxes in a few years scavenging through your bins early in the morning ((

But don't worry humans don't have much time left either a few thousand years absolute max.. unless a big lump of rock about 130 miles  x 450 miles wide can speed up the process.. :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »
I suppose they could capture them and rehome them away from people.

:thumbsup:

Probably the best option for everyone.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
They are having the same problem in northern Canada, but the Inuit are saying it isn't because of global warming, there is just a s**tload of bears around now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/13/polar-bear-numbers-canadian-arctic-inuit-controversial-report

Registration