The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 35140 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Electric vehicles
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »

I'll be a late adopter, I drive a V8 diesel, but I do know someone who has a Tesla, and she still thinks it's wonderful about a year into ownership. I've met some key people from Tesla UK at a business breakfast. I got took out in one, had the technology (from their perspective) explained, and I had to agree electric cars (battery powered or not) will be the future.

I have wondered though, why can't a dynamo/alternator or six recharge the batteries as you drive? Done right they could self generate quite a bit of energy.

I drive an inline 4 cylinder & and like Manny I have no desire to change. And what for? In the region that I live the Tesla is a status symbol.

I have seen a flywheel attatched to a so-called dynamo that provides a supplemental charge to the battery pack. If I am not mistaken thay are fitted to busses now.

As for a boat I was asked to move a sailboat to another harbour and could not
get the electric motor to 'work'. None of the swearing used on a diesel helped. Upon arrival there seemed to a rather grumpy dock master who had watched me sail in. Only problem I was next to a restaurant and the patrons gave me a round of applause for a good landing.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »
Most leccy cars use regenerative braking to either conserve power or to generate it. Having a dynamo of an electric powered car to generate electricity as you drive would break the universe because that's essentially a perpetual motion machine and would break the first two laws of thermodynamics.

Buy hey, if you solve that problem you'll either be assassinated or the richest man in the world.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
As I recall and I only briefly studied the model it was indeed connected to the braking sustem.

Not entirely sure I want to be in a perpetual motion machine, when I only want to buy some steak and veggies for dinner. But FiFi feel free to go for a ride. Sayanora!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
Having a dynamo of an electric powered car to generate electricity as you drive would break the universe because that's essentially a perpetual motion machine and would break the first two laws of thermodynamics.

I don't see that. All cars have alternators. Old positive earth ones have dynamos. Why can't a dynamo or an alternator trickle charge the batteries as one drives? They can and do already on petrol cars. Why not rework them so they restore much or some of what is used? Can't be rocket science to add more juice via a few gears to an alternator so the alternator uses minimal rolling energy......... 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Moby needs to go back to school
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »
It remains a fact they are not suitable for everyone as you state above, Bill.
But for the average Joe driving a few miles to work and back again, they are probably fine. In Manchester city centre you can park at charging points for free; I guess in lots of other places too. There's charging points at motorway services too. I know fast chargers exist now so you are not sat about hours. Here they pay no London congestion charge I recall, and low or no road tax. The UK has incentivised owners to go electric. Many have. Manchester also has some electric buses. To those of us who remember electric milk floats from the 70s/80s, this isnt much of a shock.

Yes, for a weekday commuter car, electric cars have value. However, if even
10% of the people switched to them, you would no longer have any incentives
because those cities need the revenue.

I have wondered though, why can't a dynamo/alternator or six recharge the batteries as you drive? Done right they could self generate quite a bit of energy.

Back in the 1980's I started using battery screw guns for all sorts of work I did.
While they've improved a lot I've always had 2-3 batteries for them charged up
at all times. Electric Cars need to develop the same sort of easy change out.

Currently the Nissan Leaf (a stupid name for a car) requires a skilled mechanic
3 hours to change out the battery which is just bad engineering. They should
have a battery pack that can be changed out by untrained people in the time
it would take you to fill up your tank at a gas station. You drive with one battery
and leave the other one on the charger, just like most other battery operated tools.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2019, 03:07:05 PM »
I don't see that. All cars have alternators. Old positive earth ones have dynamos. Why can't a dynamo or an alternator trickle charge the batteries as one drives? They can and do already on petrol cars. Why not rework them so they restore much or some of what is used? Can't be rocket science to add more juice via a few gears to an alternator so the alternator uses minimal rolling energy.........

You will always expend more energy turning the generator than the generator will
produce from that energy. It's physics/mechanics/resistance. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online 2tallbill

Re: Beel choses to obfuscate - wrong in use of English and arithmetic !
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »

Moby,

Please do the following, you should be able to do it with Google.
Don't bring up a bunch of unrelated garbage and don't change
the terms or your original claim.

Please list the Terrawatts produced by renewables in the UK for

And then tell me all about exponential growth

209 - 2016..  a 230% increase .... not at all kidding ourselves, Beeel

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2018/03/renewable-energy-in-the-united-kingdom

7 years and such an increase isn't exponential ?   You've ignored the graphs and I'm wondering why it is just so hard to admit  howler

So do you admit you are wrong?

Moby OWNED

Indeed

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Re: Beel choses to obfuscate - wrong in use of English and arithmetic !
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »

Moby,

Please do the following, you should be able to do it with Google.
Don't bring up a bunch of unrelated garbage and don't change
the terms or your original claim.

Please list the Terrawatts produced by renewables in the UK for

And then tell me all about exponential growth

209 - 2016..  a 230% increase .... not at all kidding ourselves, Beeel

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2018/03/renewable-energy-in-the-united-kingdom

7 years and such an increase isn't exponential ?   You've ignored the graphs and I'm wondering why it is just so hard to admit  howler

So do you admit you are wrong?

Moby OWNED

Indeed
Just for theories sake, how many datapoints would you need to prove exponential growth?

If its 10 minimal, then there aren't enough years yet to prove.
If its then measured increase/month, it is not even linear, let alone exponential!

2009-2016 according to moby above , would be 240% increase. That isn't even close to exponential. Exponential increase means double every datapoint. 2009=100%, 2010=200%,2011=400%, 2016 = 12800% minimum for exp. growth , 2019 would be well over 100.000% to be called exponential growth, 102.400% to be exact. If you counted the growth in months we would have consumed all matter of earth by now converted into batteries. (2 to the power of 120 for 10 years of growth... thats a lot of batteries .. 1.3292279957849158729038070602803e+36 percent to be exact)

Lame, lame, lame!

I'm afraid this newspaper Moby quoted didn't know what exponential growth means and just used a buzz-word.

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2019, 05:39:28 PM »
Sadly, in common parlance, led by poorly informed media and commentators the word exponential is now a synonym for rapid. Moby is just following the trend toward the dumbing down of language and the destruction of meaning from words and thus thought.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »
Sadly, in common parlance, led by poorly informed media and commentators the word exponential is now a synonym for rapid. Moby is just following the trend toward the dumbing down of language and the destruction of meaning from words and thus thought.

Bingo.

The pity or reality is Moby will never admit this fact.

Online Guile

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:18 PM »
He doesn't even know what exponential growth is...go take your high school math class again :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2019, 03:10:39 AM »

'Sadly' our andrew, is not paying attention - as usual

ONE of us not only knows the meaning of the word - but backed it up with evidence

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online 2tallbill

You are letting the facts and reasoning get in the way of Moby's argument
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
Just for theories sake, how many datapoints would you need to prove exponential growth?

If its 10 minimal, then there aren't enough years yet to prove.
If its then measured increase/month, it is not even linear, let alone exponential!

2009-2016 according to moby above , would be 240% increase. That isn't even close to exponential. Exponential increase means double every datapoint. 2009=100%, 2010=200%,2011=400%, 2016 = 12800% minimum for exp. growth , 2019 would be well over 100.000% to be called exponential growth, 102.400% to be exact. If you counted the growth in months we would have consumed all matter of earth by now converted into batteries. (2 to the power of 120 for 10 years of growth... thats a lot of batteries .. 1.3292279957849158729038070602803e+36 percent to be exact)

Lame, lame, lame!

I'm afraid this newspaper Moby quoted didn't know what exponential growth means and just used a buzz-word.

Markje,

You are letting the facts and reasoning get in the way of Moby's argument.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Exponential growth in in use of renewables - for those in denial
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
Thanks, Markje !

By a purely mathematical analysis - use of renewables is exponential - esp in - say- Scotland 

What is this denail issue some suffer from ?

Online Guile

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »
you mean Moby will just take any random news article link and proclaim it as the gospel truth? wait that's all he ever does, esp with Brexit and other nonsense  :ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline Manny

Re: Exponential growth in in use of renewables - for those in denial
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2019, 07:24:36 AM »
What is this denail issue some suffer from ?

I find a claw hammer most useful in denailing.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline froid

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »
Gas stations will be providing the fuel for the cars that will replace cars running on gas and diesel.

Oil is used in many products we buy including rubber tires and lubricants that electric engines need.

When every house has the ability to be the refueling station and for 90% of your use you don't need an external station many gas stations will no longer be required at all. 

Yes I agree oil has many other products it goes into but if 70% of oil is currently used for transportation some companies are about to lose 70% of their income. 

Used gas cars aren't going to be banned overnight because new technology replacing it isn't cheaper and isn't much better. It will be phased out very slowly.

The technology to replace the combustion engine isn't going to be electric with rechargeable batteries. People don't like their cars to be depending on their homes to run and many people still don't like the distance limits of travel an electric car with rechargeable batteries have. Electric cars with rechargeable batteries will have it's place in history along with the 8-track cassette. It'll do for now until something more appealing comes along.

I didn't say banned...I said they will become less desirable.  The tipping point where electric cars just make more sense is coming and once it does come your old V8 truck or whatever you drive will immediately be worth less or will only be worth anything because it is a collectors item.  With the amount of progress and investment being made into EV's currently that tipping point might be one discovery away and happen next year or it may take a few more years but everything I am reading points to 2020 being THE year. 

YOU perhaps don't like your car dependent on your home however many people have already made that leap and each year it is increasing.  Giving the example of the 8-track maybe isn't the best example since that was different formats competing at the same time.  A better example would pit an established technology vs a brand new technology.  Tapes replaced with CDs...TV tubes replaced with flatscreens.  Horses replaced with cars.  New stuff always starts off expensive and maybe not all that better...but with development being spent in EVs they have more headroom currently before they hit their ceiling.  Meanwhile I believe the ICE can't get much better at all anymore. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline froid

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
Imagine you had a back yard and needed to haul in some peat moss/ground cover/
river rock/fence posts tell me about how they work with an EV

Imagine you had a business and make small deliveries to jobsites of French doors,
or windows tell me about how they work with an EV

Imagine you road dirt bikes, enjoyed boating, etc tell me about how they
work with an EV

Yes I get it you like your pickup truck.  Rivan R1T is coming.  Tesla has a truck coming too.  Ford has come out saying they will have an EV F150.  GM is rumored to be working with Telsa on theirs. 

Imagine you had a large sales territory requiring you to drive many miles
throughout the mountains with many many miles between gas stations
tell me about how they work with an EV
Well since the majority of the population doesn't actually do this I am not sure it is relevant to the majority. 

It's just like light rail, subway systems, etc. They only work in a large city
or metro area and only when you have a specific timed routine. Try to take
that EV on a ski trip and you will be f##cked. You will be 1/3 way to your
destination and have to wait 4+ hours for your car to charge. 
Not sure how far YOU drive to go on your ski trip but the one I have done from Calgary to Banff is only 130km and actually has a Tesla supercharger 100km into it.  the Tesla 3 standard range is 350km so even with the heater on affecting the range it is easily doable. 

Can you imagine what a EV roadside gas station would look like if every car
had to wait several hours at the pump? How many hours would go by before
you got hooked up?
That's the whole point though...if 90% of EV's never stop at a "refueling" station because they charge at home it will actually be easier to find a spot to charge many days. 

I know people who lived in San Jose that had a 100% EV car as a daily
commuter. They had other cars that ran on gas because they couldn't
rely on an electric car outside of daily commuting.
This is how my family will work in the future I will replace a gas car with electric and the hybrid will stay for long distance trips perhaps.  But eventually the range will be there and even that relic of a gas car will be gone too. 

How do EV's work when you have to turn the heater on 100% of the time for
6+ months a year?
I live in Canada and the two Tesla owners I know are having no issues and one of them even commutes from a smaller city into Toronto to work. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
There are sound technical reasons why homes cannot provide charging for more than a very few cars in any given area. It will not happen until utilities have upgraded their local transformers. Of course, when that happens your leccy prices are going to rise.

However, if you think about it objectively, even if electric cars were to increase in number at the same rate as they are doing right now (and that's very unlikely given the low base and the size of the installed number of oil powered cars) it will be decades before there are more electric cars on the road than petrol or diesel ones. Try it for yourself, plot it out on a graph. :)

There's such a push toward electric that, for sure, their numbers are going to grow and might even become the primary mode for new personal transportation but getting there will take a long time.

And just imagine the waiting times when there are enough cars around to use the charging networks at anything close to capacity. You think to wait for an hour or so while you charge your car is bad. Wait until there's a queue of five cars in front of you!

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »
To me, the idea of an electric pick-up or SUV is hard to believe (based on what experience I have with EVs). Apparently the idea is more practical than I thought:

https://www.slashgear.com/gmc-luxury-electric-pickup-truck-suv-general-motors-ford-tesla-rivian-24563599/

I do quite a bit of towing with my Suburban so I'll be interested to hear what sort of towing performance can be had with an electric SUV. Of course the torque of an electric motor is great, but with the additional weight of a trailer I'm guessing range would be considerably worse (just as it is with ICEs). As far as battery technology has come, I think it still has a long way to go before we are at a level of performance to support activities like towing.
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2019, 02:07:30 AM »
To those in denial

Hybrids are the current thing already..

I am in Georgia and it is full of Prius' and Volts inported from the US!

If you have been lucky enough to consider a BMV i8 and driven one, you would 'get' that  Hybrids are a great compromise .

As for the local grid not coping  with fast charging electric cars....

I mean how DO they cope when will come home and turn on our electric ovens?

:'(

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2019, 01:55:45 AM »
Apart from the complexity, space utilisation and performance issues hybrids are great.

Why buy a car with two forms of propulsion when one will do?

Offline froid

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2019, 06:05:07 AM »
Just drove downtown in my hybrid which I consider my first baby step into the EV world.  Only managed 5.1L/100km this morning because traffic was actually faster today due to March break.  The only reason we got the hybrid was the wife was driving pretty far to work at the time and she had range anxiety about that.  Of course 2 months later she got a job downtown and we now both commute by train so basically ANY EV could handle our day to day usage of 10 to 40km easily and only need charging every 3rd of 4th day. 

There are sound technical reasons why homes cannot provide charging for more than a very few cars in any given area. It will not happen until utilities have upgraded their local transformers. Of course, when that happens your leccy prices are going to rise.

Charging at home doesn't HAVE to be the large draw Level 2 charging.  If I plug in overnight it can charge at level one with no issues and lesser strain on the local grid.  Utilities are already studying upgrades, smart charging programs and even using EV's to supply power back to the grid when the grid needs it.  And really, more consumption of electricity is actually good for their business Duh. 

Ran across this item on twitter just now. 

My Tesla Model 3:
4 charges/wk = $26 (SCE EV rate)
$104 per month

VS

My Porsche Macan S
3 pumps/wk = $204
$816 per month

So just by having the Model 3 and using it to commute instead of his Macan he saves enough to pay for the loan payment of the Model 3 itself.  $671/month for the long range version from the Telus US website. 

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2019, 06:06:48 AM »
As for the local grid not coping  with fast charging electric cars....

I mean how DO they cope when will come home and turn on our electric ovens?

:'(

A fast charger is nowhere near the same ballpark as an electric oven ? I don' know how you can even suggest such a crazy thing.

Electric oven: 2000-4000 watts (at most) , a fast charger is more like 150.000 watts when in use. [  :'( indeed ]
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2019, 06:30:17 AM »
As I recall, Britain has about 5% spare capacity at peak. The peak is in the evening. I am sure that the US is no better off.

Assuming that people want to charge their EVs when they want to charge their EVs then a lot of extra capacity is needed. Also, there are issues with local transformers. There's only so much papering over the cracks can be done with software as Boeing have now discovered!

Also, as off-peak hours reduce, as would happen if EV charging were to be spread through the night then everybody's electricity bills will go up, whether they use an EV or not!