The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Electric Cars  (Read 9942 times)

Online Guile

Re: Beel choses to obfuscate - wrong in use of English and arithmetic !
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »

You couldn't/wouldn't do that, because it would prove you're wrong.

Moby you are ALWAYS wrong. Everyone sees it.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »
:chuckle:..and my link proved - several instances - clearly demonstrated - and even  using the word EXPONENTIAL(LY)

The article you posted, is big on blah~blah, as you are Moby. But the graphs are few and seem misleading.

Bill clearly explains why there is no exponential growth.

You posting score for swerving is up there for this year. But for being truthful it is far under 500.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
:chuckle:..and my link proved - several instances - clearly demonstrated - and even  using the word EXPONENTIAL(LY)

The article you posted, is big on blah~blah, as you are Moby. But the graphs are few and seem misleading.

You posting score for swerving is up there for this year. But for being truthful it is far under 500.
Do you remember the grain of rice on a chessboard joke? And that was just 64 iterations of growing exponentially. I am damn glad this stuff isn't growing that fast.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Electric Cars
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 11:40:28 PM »

I seriously doubt battery operated cars are going to last very long. It may be a temporary "green" solution but too many headaches trying to recharge batteries everyday at home, especially when the power goes out. In the video below, the car generates so much electricity, it can power your home and a few other neighbor's homes. No batteries to recharge. We have technology that is much better than anything that needs batteries recharged. It's just a matter of getting the price down.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 05:22:34 AM »
Well above is some information about this fictional material.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

It does exist. Graphene is not a fictional material. It is the worlds best conductor. It is a form of carbon much like diamonds and other structures. If you will look at the link above you can see it just something else you know nothing about.  Graphene use in batteries can be seen in video at two minute and ten second mark. But I am sure you do not want to learn anything because you know everything in the world. If any one has a doubt they can just ask you and you will set them straight.

I will tell my care taker that you sent her you best regards.

Again, and to repeat, ask your carer to look at your post. Ask her to tell you the words used. Graphene is real, the substance you mentioned does not exist.

Please do not double down on your foolishness again - just fact check yourself and stop digging holes. We already know that you are hardly the sharpest knife in the block, do yourself a favour and stop proving it!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »

I seriously doubt battery operated cars are going to last very long. It may be a temporary "green" solution but too many headaches trying to recharge batteries everyday at home, especially when the power goes out. In the video below, the car generates so much electricity, it can power your home and a few other neighbor's homes. No batteries to recharge. We have technology that is much better than anything that needs batteries recharged. It's just a matter of getting the price down.

I never saw that before on Top gear. That being the case, why are we not leapfrogging batteries altogether?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
The article you posted, is big on blah~blah, as you are Moby. But the graphs are few
and seem misleading.

People use the wrong word or misunderstand what words mean all the
time (Moby, however knows what exponential growth means).

My favorite misused word is decimate. Many people believe that it is to kill
or wipe out all or nearly all of the opposition.

When the Romans ruled most of the known Earth they would demand extreme
discipline among their troops. Any unit that didn't fight heroically would be punished.
As one of the worst punishments they would line up the entire platoon or regiment
and kill every tenth man thereby decimating them.

Over time as more and more people continually used the word incorrectly dictionaries
actually included getting wiped out as the primary definition of decimate.

Exponential growth was used incorrectly by Moby and the authors of Moby's links.
The author of the link probably had a crap education deep on global warming and
shallow on substance and likely has no clue to what exponential growth means.
To the author it's just an adjective for "a bunch or a lot" Moby however got
educated in real schools back in the old days and definitely knows the
difference. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline BillyB

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
I never saw that before on Top gear. That being the case, why are we not leapfrogging batteries altogether?

It's expensive technology. Besides, there's no rush since the automobiles we drive today are affordable. Also no rush because better options may be invented in the near future. What are we going to adopt on a widespread basis to replace the combustion engine. I don't know but it's not going to be a car with rechargeable batteries.

Right now oil is still king. Governments tried to push something, anything and it was electric cars with rechargeable batteries but most people aren't buying. Any major move by electric cars pushed the price of oil down and keeping combustion engines more attractive. Oil rich nations aren't about to give up their cash cow.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
In the early days of the automobile there were a number of sources of power. It might surprise some that electric powered vehicles was a viable competitor. The same limitations were than an issue.

A more interesting development is a car race across Australia for electric vehicles. This race has taken place for some 30 years. Some corporations enter but it is mostly schools both High schools and Universities. While the vehicles can be fully charged before the starting gun afterwards they must rely on solar power. Over 3,000 kilometers long it is not easy to complete. Over the years rules have been tweaked and there are divisions including multi passenger vehicles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Solar_Challenge

Offline Texan77

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
Tesla just bought Maxwell Technologies for $218m because they have dry cell battery technology that will reduce the cost of batteries for Tesla in near future. New battery will not use any exotic materials like cobalt, will double the life of the batteries, 25 percent more energy density as well as a pathway where they believe that 75 per cent increase in energy density will be possible.  The company also make supper capacitors which may be used with batteries to improve efficient of cars and make electric cars accelerate faster and recover more power when braking.

Currently Tesla batteries are made using a Panasonic technology. Panasonic has recently sign a deal with Toyota for EV battery technology.

The video below describes the deal and the technology if anyone wants to see it. If you look up Maxwell technology and Tesla there are many videos and articles written about this deal and what it will mean to the EV market and production of EV cars. 

Since Tesla makes battery for home energy system these batteries might be made available for home solar systems and reduce their cost also.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 10:25:50 PM »
Tesla just bought Maxwell Technologies for $218m because they have dry cell battery technology that will reduce the cost of batteries for Tesla in near future. New battery will not use any exotic materials like cobalt, will double the life of the batteries, 25 percent more energy density as well as a pathway where they believe that 75 per cent increase in energy density will be possible.  The company also make supper capacitors which may be used with batteries to improve efficient of cars and make electric cars accelerate faster and recover more power when braking.

Tesla got billions of dollars of help from the government and their customers get tax credits when they buy a Tesla car and don't pay road tax. Take all those benefits away, Tesla wouldn't be successful and wouldn't be able to buy other companies.

In every city in every year, somebody loses power to their house. If they owned a car that needed a recharge, they'd be in a world of hurt. The video I provided upthread had a car that produced so much electricity, you can plug your house to the car and power the house.

Imagine a nation that forces all it's citizens to by cars with rechargeable batteries. A nation attacking that nation would target it's electric grid effectively preventing people from buying food and going to work. Most people won't be able to build war machines for their nation because they can't get to the factory. If the nations military vehicles are electric and needed daily recharges, that equipment will be down too. The answer to future cars isn't something that has rechargeable batteries. The government pushing this product on people should be a clue it's not a very desirable replacement for the combustion engine.

Offline msmoby

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2019, 05:51:59 AM »

Sighs,

If you can't / won't realise the the use of renewables to generate electricity in China UK, US is growing EXPONENTIALLY - then you cannot deal with any fact and that might explain at lot

Online AvHdB

Moby needs to go back to school
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:36 AM »
 Moby, a free suggestion if you have a dictionary use it. If you do not have one acquire one and read it.

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
Re: Moby needs to go back to school
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »
Moby, a free suggestion if you have a dictionary use it. If you do not have one acquire one and read it.

I’ve had Moby pegged as an argumentative, disruptive, troll who enjoys provocation. It’s quite clear that he’s actually just not very clever.

Debating with a laggard is pointless because he’ll never catch up.

Online Guile

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
Moby will basically argue with anyone over anything. it's like he's got a twitch that he's addicted to and just can't help himself.

Everyone notices he does it.  Like if you said Armenia produces bad wine he'll say he drank a bottle that rivaled some French vintages..

Or if Japanese or Chinese people seldom marry outside their race he'll point out his step son in law.  He just does this cause he has no life and no friends.

Offline msmoby

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2019, 01:11:54 AM »

I’ve had Moby pegged as an argumentative, disruptive, troll who enjoys provocation. It’s quite clear that he’s actually just not very clever.

This 'not very clever' chap pointed out that 'project fear' would be fact  Swindon is a clue as to what will happen to Washington, ( Nissan, UK ) eventually

You clever chaps voted suicide in the name of 'independence' and an economic upturn ...

You must be so 'proud; ...

Offline froid

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »
They say that peak days of the gas guzzlers have passed.  From this point forward there will be less and less gas cars and more EV's.

I know that I have probably bought my last gas car...and this one is a hybrid.  I can already see the benefits and I know that my next car will not use gas at all. 

The interesting things to watch will be...
1. What happens to gas companies and gas stations. 
2. Will there be a point where prices for used gas car collapse?  Eventually they will be less desirable and this will impact the market. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Online 2tallbill

Beel choses to obfuscate - wrong in use of English and arithmetic !
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »

Sighs,

If you can't / won't realise the the use of renewables to generate electricity in China UK, US is growing EXPONENTIALLY - then you cannot deal with any fact and that might explain at lot

I'm sorry, I thought you knew what exponential growth meant. If you don't know
what it means you can look it up, it's readily available using most search engines.

The only scalable non fossil fuel is Nuclear and the environmentalist weirdos hate
that as much as they hate burning rain forests. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline BillyB

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
1. What happens to gas companies and gas stations. 

Gas stations will be providing the fuel for the cars that will replace cars running on gas and diesel.

Oil is used in many products we buy including rubber tires and lubricants that electric engines need.

2. Will there be a point where prices for used gas car collapse?  Eventually they will be less desirable and this will impact the market.

Used gas cars aren't going to be banned overnight because new technology replacing it isn't cheaper and isn't much better. It will be phased out very slowly.

The technology to replace the combustion engine isn't going to be electric with rechargeable batteries. People don't like their cars to be depending on their homes to run and many people still don't like the distance limits of travel an electric car with rechargeable batteries have. Electric cars with rechargeable batteries will have it's place in history along with the 8-track cassette. It'll do for now until something more appealing comes along.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

If you can't / won't realise the the use of renewables to generate electricity in UK,
is growing EXPONENTIALLY - then you cannot deal with any fact and that might
explain at lot

Moby,

Please do the following, you should be able to do it with Google.
Don't bring up a bunch of unrelated garbage and don't change
the terms or your original claim.

Please list the Terrawatts produced by renewables in the UK for

And then tell me all about exponential growth

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »
They say that peak days of the gas guzzlers have passed.  From this point forward
there will be less and less gas cars and more EV's.

I know that I have probably bought my last gas car...and this one is a hybrid.  I can already see the benefits and I know that my next car will not use gas at all. 

Imagine you had a back yard and needed to haul in some peat moss/ground cover/
river rock/fence posts tell me about how they work with an EV

Imagine you had a business and make small deliveries to jobsites of French doors,
or windows tell me about how they work with an EV

Imagine you road dirt bikes, enjoyed boating, etc tell me about how they
work with an EV

Imagine you had a large sales territory requiring you to drive many miles
throughout the mountains with many many miles between gas stations
tell me about how they work with an EV

It's just like light rail, subway systems, etc. They only work in a large city
or metro area and only when you have a specific timed routine. Try to take
that EV on a ski trip and you will be f##cked. You will be 1/3 way to your
destination and have to wait 4+ hours for your car to charge. 

Can you imagine what a EV roadside gas station would look like if every car
had to wait several hours at the pump? How many hours would go by before
you got hooked up?

I know people who lived in San Jose that had a 100% EV car as a daily
commuter. They had other cars that ran on gas because they couldn't
rely on an electric car outside of daily commuting.

How do EV's work when you have to turn the heater on 100% of the time for
6+ months a year?

Online Guile

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »

If you can't / won't realise the the use of renewables to generate electricity in UK,
is growing EXPONENTIALLY - then you cannot deal with any fact and that might
explain at lot

Moby,

Moby OWNED

Offline msmoby

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2019, 02:09:49 AM »

Moby,

209 - 2016..  a 230% increase .... not at all kidding ourselves, Beeel

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2018/03/renewable-energy-in-the-united-kingdom

7 years and such an increase isn't exponential ?   You've ignored the graphs and I'm wondering why it is just so hard to admit  howler

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2019, 06:32:57 AM »

This 'not very clever' chap pointed out that 'project fear' would be fact  Swindon is a clue as to what will happen to Washington, ( Nissan, UK ) eventually

You clever chaps voted suicide in the name of 'independence' and an economic upturn ...

You must be so 'proud; ...

More lies I'm afraid. People like you blame Brexit for the situations at Airbus, Nissan and Honda and almost any other business closing or relocating at this present time. You'll probably get some CEO's using Brexit as an excuse for poor performance and the media will whoop up a frenzy for you to froth over.

What we do know about Brexit is that there's a lot of uncertainty which has resulted in exchange rate fluctuations and the like. It's also prevented planning and investment until its all sorted out. I wouldn't be commissioning any kind of solid financial spend until I know exactly whats going to happen and my money is safe. That's a normal thing to do.

Now you blame this all on Brexit and the millions of racists who voted for it, which is predictable for shallow types. I personally blame those handling Brexit because all of this could have been avoided had we been given clear guidance and strong leadership. It's the government (and other politicians for creating the divide for their own self interest) who are to blame for the lack of confidence. Once it's settled one way or another, life will carry on and the sky wont fall in.

It's my opinion that at this stage we should hard Brexit and take short term pain for long term gain. To negotiate properly, you need to be prepared to walk away and to date, only the EU has made this clear. Leave paying nothing and then renegotiate with a partner who requires a solution as much as we do.

Still, carry on with the veneer of blaming the car rather than the driver.

Offline Manny

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2019, 12:11:59 PM »
They say that peak days of the gas guzzlers have passed.  From this point forward
there will be less and less gas cars and more EV's.

Imagine you had a back yard and needed to haul in some peat moss/ground cover/
river rock/fence posts tell me about how they work with an EV

Imagine you had a business and make small deliveries to jobsites of French doors,
or windows tell me about how they work with an EV

Imagine you road dirt bikes, enjoyed boating, etc tell me about how they
work with an EV

Imagine you had a large sales territory requiring you to drive many miles
throughout the mountains with many many miles between gas stations
tell me about how they work with an EV

It's just like light rail, subway systems, etc. They only work in a large city
or metro area and only when you have a specific timed routine. Try to take
that EV on a ski trip and you will be f##cked. You will be 1/3 way to your
destination and have to wait 4+ hours for your car to charge. 

Can you imagine what a EV roadside gas station would look like if every car
had to wait several hours at the pump? How many hours would go by before
you got hooked up?

I know people who lived in San Jose that had a 100% EV car as a daily
commuter. They had other cars that ran on gas because they couldn't
rely on an electric car outside of daily commuting.

How do EV's work when you have to turn the heater on 100% of the time for
6+ months a year?

This tells us the technology still has to develop. Not that its unworkable.

I'll be a late adopter, I drive a V8 diesel, but I do know someone who has a Tesla, and she still thinks it's wonderful about a year into ownership. I've met some key people from Tesla UK at a business breakfast. I got took out in one, had the technology (from their perspective) explained, and I had to agree electric cars (battery powered or not) will be the future.

It remains a fact they are not suitable for everyone as you state above, Bill. But for the average Joe driving a few miles to work and back again, they are probably fine. In Manchester city centre you can park at charging points for free; I guess in lots of other places too. There's charging points at motorway services too. I know fast chargers exist now so you are not sat about hours. Here they pay no London congestion charge I recall, and low or no road tax. The UK has incentivised owners to go electric. Many have. Manchester also has some electric buses. To those of us who remember electric milk floats from the 70s/80s, this isnt much of a shock.

The registration on that milk float above tells us its 1981. We had the technology to make electric usable for multi drop deliveries in the 70s. In some respects, we dont seem to have moved on that much.

One thing I can say about the Tesla I was in, it had awesome power. The torque curve has to be felt. Petrol heads will convert when they try it. Imagine a big V8, but faster, and in silence.

I have wondered though, why can't a dynamo/alternator or six recharge the batteries as you drive? Done right they could self generate quite a bit of energy.

Registration