The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The erosion of freedom of speech in the RF is nearly complete  (Read 458 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Andrey Klishas - a 'law-maker' has nearly screwed the RF's constitution with a series of proposed laws that make statute - working hand in hand with Roskomnadzor ( the media regulator ) and the Courts -  but this one takes the biscuit ..

Soon, if one questions  the state - without a 'positive' ( otherwise it will be an 'insult' - one will be fined....

Despite what andrewfi laughably suggests the state effectively controls the media - as it closes down or forcibly takes over outlets / TV / radio stations that aren't supportive'

So next time someone gets upset about RT getting warnings from 'Ofcom' for fake news - bear in mind how 'open' RT's controllers have made the media and why popular opposition media have to move out of the RF

I thought I'd quote from RT.com as it nearly makes media censorship ( banned under the RF constitution ) seem normal

Need examples ? 

Let's see where this post ends up :)))

Offline Manny

Re: The erosion of freedom of speech in the RF is nearly complete
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:55:16 AM »
Despite what andrewfi laughably suggests the state effectively controls the media - as it closes down or forcibly takes over outlets / TV / radio stations that aren't supportive'

You mean like the British government and regulators, who control a huge lump of media in the state BBC channels, constantly trying to get RT shut down and even having their bank accounts frozen in the UK? Is that the kind of control and forcible actions you mean?

No freedom of speech in the UK either - they call it "hate crime".

Oh dear Moby, that bit of Kremlinphobia doesn't really hold water does it?
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online msmoby

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:31:22 AM »

You mean like the British government and regulators, who control a huge lump of media in the state BBC channels, constantly trying to get RT shut down and even having their bank accounts frozen in the UK? Is that the kind of control and forcible actions you mean?

The British govt doesn't control OfCom or the BBC ...  RT has been warned by OfCom not to misrepresent - which in the case of Salisbury / MH17, et., it clearly has .

The UK govt doesn't create create circumstances whereby media channel owners  have to give up their firms  - which are then controlled by the govt or cronies of same

No freedom of speech in the UK either - they call it "hate crime".

You mean 'Tommy Robinson' ? :)))   
Oh dear Moby, that bit of Kremlinphobia doesn't really hold water does it?

Where has UK laws threatened fines for criticising govt or speaking of breaking up the UK ? 

You need to check your black pots - they are seriously leaking

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
The British govt doesn't control OfCom or the BBC ... 

Really? Name us another station whose revenue is forcibly extracted from every household under threat of prison and goons thumping on doors?

RT has been warned by OfCom not to misrepresent - which in the case of Salisbury / MH17, et., it clearly has .

Not parroting the prescribed narrative is not misrepresentation.

I was thinking more of Christians not wanting to make gays a cake, but Robinson too. And millions of others.

If you say so, Pinocchio.  :-\

Online msmoby

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »

The British govt doesn't control OfCom or the BBC ... 

Really? Name us another station whose revenue is forcibly extracted from every household under threat of prison and goons thumping on doors?

It's a tax = there's no adverts - and you boast about not paying it ))

The 'tax' is collected by one agency and the Beenb are run by a Trust ... The BBC can runs stories that analyse govt policy and even causes leaders to resign ..( Tony Blair )

It's not a propaganda mouthpiece - investing misdirection - like RT

RT has been warned by OfCom not to misrepresent - which in the case of Salisbury / MH17, et., it clearly has .

Not parroting the prescribed narrative is not misrepresentation.

I can see you haven't read the latest OfCom investigation report and findings.....  As to 'precribed narrative' - you seem confused... It's NOT a crime to criticise thegovt and nor does one need to be 'positive' in one's criticism - as RF law now insists ;)

I was thinking more of Christians not wanting to make gays a cake, but Robinson too. And millions of others.

Cake ? ??  Which was covered in all media and the ruling as to why the nice couple could refuse ....

If you say so, Pinocchio.  :-\

I'm not the sand pit owner that has to edit out the fact and put in bollox ...

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 10:21:32 AM »
It's a tax

Exactly, a media organisation funded by an obligatory (for most) tax. Do you know any other media organisations funded by a forced tax? Take your time.......

It's not a propaganda mouthpiece -

It is. Watch Question Time, you'd fit right in with all those fuzzy thinking lefties.

It's NOT a crime to criticise thegovt and nor does one need to be 'positive' in one's criticism - as RF law now insists ;)

Russian lawmakers can pass whatever laws they see fit in their own country. Because they may be different to laws written elsewhere doesn't make them wrong. The US has the death penalty. Most first world countries dont any more. Do we protest about that? No, we nod sagely and say it's their own business if the people are happy to have their government kill their criminals.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Russia does NOT ban criticism of the government,m indeed, as your Russian friends know, there are very popular TV shows that are based specifically on featuring opposition to the government. If you were to show your silly claim to your 'Russian friends' I think that I know who they'd be laughing at.

I guess that your ability to consume Russian media is still very much constrained by your inability to understand what you see - or you are being dishonest - again? Which of those options is the most fitting, or would you feel that both were true?

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »

Russian lawmakers can pass whatever laws they see fit in their own country. Because they may be different to laws written elsewhere doesn't make them wrong. The US has the death penalty. Most first world countries dont any more. Do we protest about that? No, we nod sagely and say it's their own business if the people are happy to have their government kill their criminals.

In the USA each state decides what the penalties are for that state. Some states have a death penalty and others do not. Since you have no understanding of US culture you do not know or understand the power of the state government. The USA is not one country but rather fifty small countries using a common currency. It is much like the EU will be in a hundred years if it last that long. Each state has a different economy and while some state are growing very fast other maybe in decline. I am in the Texas southern coast and everything here is growing very fast. You talk about crumbling bridges and read that too be here the bridges barely get built before they replacing them by putting up a bigger one. Each state also has a different cultural. It is the reason why some states want to do away with guns and other want them. We have three different type of cultures of black people living in the city. We have black people recently from Africa, blacks that live in white neighborhoods and integrate and black that almost never see white people in there daily lives and have no white friends. Almost all the blacks that have trouble with the police are in the third group.

Online msmoby

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 10:17:51 AM »
Russia does NOT ban criticism of the government,m indeed, as your Russian friends know, there are very popular TV shows that are based specifically on featuring opposition to the government. If you were to show your silly claim to your 'Russian friends' I think that I know who they'd be laughing at.

I guess that your ability to consume Russian media is still very much constrained by your inability to understand what you see - or you are being dishonest - again? Which of those options is the most fitting, or would you feel that both were true?

Andrewfi

you really do lacking reading comprehension - or are deliberately dishonest - or both ..

1/ I listed the new law and fines..

2/ Do tell us which TV station is critical of the govt ?

You cannot list ONE time I've been dishonest - but I CAN demonstrate plenty of times when I've busted you  :chuckle:

Registration