The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: VIN (Vehicle ID Number )  (Read 1131 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
VIN (Vehicle ID Number )
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
SC is now the proud owner of a new Nissan Qashqai - think it is called Rogue(?) in the US and some other markets

It is white, but this is a UK 1.5L model  of a lower spec

It's a top spec 4WD model - but I'm interested to know WHERE it was made - suspect 'Piter', Russia

Tried a free  VIN search but all I can see - " It's a Nissan " !!

Z8NFBNJ11ES xxxxxx ( 6 numbers)

Any experts ?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: VIN (Vehicle ID Number )
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
The WMI or World manufacturer Identifier is the first two characters in the VIN Z8 denotes Europe as the place of manufacture.

Russia is X3-0.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online msmoby

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:54:00 PM »
We found out it was made in 'Piter' which is in Russia - the European part !

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:54:50 AM »
The WMI or World manufacturer Identifier is the first two characters in the VIN Z8 denotes Europe as the place of manufacture.

Russia is X3-0.

Although correct, Nissan Ru uses Z8 on its cars assembled in St P's site, this to alleviate any customer "anti-Russian" views for cars exported within the EU.
The VIN tells that the car is a 2014 model, produced with various facelifts in 2018, but without the complete number, the month of assembly and spec is unknown.
The model year will change in 2019/2020 when the new model in released.
HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:51:07 AM »
Surely not, Russia doesn't make anything, the country is merely a huge gas station.  :dh:

Online msmoby

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:03:25 AM »

Although correct, Nissan Ru uses Z8 on its cars assembled in St P's site, this to alleviate any customer "anti-Russian" views for cars exported within the EU.
The VIN tells that the car is a 2014 model, produced with various facelifts in 2018, but without the complete number, the month of assembly and spec is unknown.
HTH

I'm SO glad I started this thread - never dreaming the site's experts would offer up such interesting responses

https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/release-426208295-nissan-steps-up-production-for-russian-market

So, Nissan aren't being honest as to where their cars end up ?

The car is SO new - it hasn't even got it's reg # / tags yet - but SC is very pleased with it / it's build quality

"In 2016, a total of 79,066 Nissan vehicles were manufactured in Russia, for the domestic market and exports to the Republic of Kazakstan, the Republic of Belarus, Lebanon (from June 2016, Datsun only) and Azerbaijan (from November 2016)."

Gypo - Our Qashqai  is 2017 face-lifted version of the 2013 J11 model - which won the UK Car of the Year in 2014

We've still got the Focus and it's VIN begins Z6 F5 XX EEC 5 HR xxxxx

The Specification of the Nissan would be another code and it is NOT listed on the RF equiv of a UK log book V5C - The RF version is a small plasticised card as opposed to the UK 4 page A4 doc

Online msmoby

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 04:07:54 AM »
Surely not, Russia doesn't make anything, the country is merely a huge gas station.  :dh:

It's also rich in many other resources and yet WHERE is it in GDP/ per capita listings ... below Italy ..

What andrewfi wants you to forget is that clients of RU's biggest personal bank lists 54% of respondents major concern as being CORRUPTION - it's info available in the Q2 Ivanov index in the press section of  Sber bank

This should be a VERY great nation

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
Moby, if you are using GDP at PPP then you are wrong. (or dishonest).

GDP at PPP is used as a comparison index because it is more accurate than simply comparing on dollar terms. As an expert economist, or sitting next to one, you know why.

So, no, not an economy smaller than Italy's. In fact, if you were to, honestly, think about it, you'd quickly conclude that was unlikely to be the case given what Russia actually does that Italy doesn't.

Online msmoby

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:22:42 PM »
Dear andrewfi

You should learn to ask questions - rather than - once more - suggesting 'dishonesty' on my part

It is noted you failed to pick up on the Ivanov index .........

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 02:01:08 AM »

HTH

I'm SO glad I started this thread - never dreaming the site's experts would offer up such interesting responses

https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/release-426208295-nissan-steps-up-production-for-russian-market

So, Nissan aren't being honest as to where their cars end up ?

The car is SO new - it hasn't even got it's reg # / tags yet - but SC is very pleased with it / it's build quality

"In 2016, a total of 79,066 Nissan vehicles were manufactured in Russia, for the domestic market and exports to the Republic of Kazakstan, the Republic of Belarus, Lebanon (from June 2016, Datsun only) and Azerbaijan (from November 2016)."

Gypo - Our Qashqai  is 2017 face-lifted version of the 2013 J11 model - which won the UK Car of the Year in 2014

We've still got the Focus and it's VIN begins Z6 F5 XX EEC 5 HR xxxxx

The Specification of the Nissan would be another code and it is NOT listed on the RF equiv of a UK log book V5C - The RF version is a small plasticised card as opposed to the UK 4 page A4 doc

Oh dear Mobysan, why do you try to make out other posters as liars?
The 10th letter of the Qashqai vin starting from the left is an E, which denotes model year 2014.
Look it up, then apologise for your misdemeanor.
Please don't bother coming back with some wiki sh1t or something along those lines, the J11 was 1st shown in November 13 in London, and early into 14 at Geneva I believe.
Pre-production started at NMMUK Sunderland in Dec 13, where a couple of hundred cars were built to facilitate on line training, and snagging, (these cars were for press/tests/road reports/reviews, and were not for sale) the plant shut for Xmas/New Year and upon return to work in Jan 14, mass production commenced.
The car was released for sale in Jan 14.
It is clear that you have little to no knowledge, for if you did, you would also know that the car production year begins about Aug/Sept of the year where the cars are classed as the next years models, and continues up to Jul/Aug the following year.
(Some manufacturers differ by a month or so either way, which depends on their annual shut down period)
Have a nice day.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 02:13:32 AM »

Another fail.

Russian cars DO have a log book, its an A4 size paper folded in half.
It is proof of ownership.
What you are talking about is the vehicle registration card which is a small, about A2 size paper vulcanised in plastic which must be carried at all times when driving the car and made available to the police when stopped and requested. It is NOT proof of ownership.
These are the doc's which my cars have also..

Online msmoby

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 04:04:03 AM »

Another fail.

What you are talking about is the vehicle registration card which is a small, about A2 size paper vulcanised in plastic which must be carried at all times when driving the car and made available to the police when stopped and requested. It is NOT proof of ownership.

Dear Gypo

As you say - the document  - small plasticised card -  is what one must carry in the car and the DPS want to see in any check

It's also what the border / customs services what to see when entering / leaving Russia

It's what you need when buying 'insurance' - I use that term loosely in Russia - given the stunts used NOT to pay out

It's what you need when first registering the vehicle - getting a registration umber / licence plate / tags

It's what you show to be allowed to transport one's car on RZD trains ( Russian Railways )

I have entered and left and left / entered the RF with the UK and RU variants .... 

I'm  suggesting you may be trying to suggest an 'error' on my part - rather than just accepting a fail on YOUR part   ..

You have repeated nonsense re the VIN given

1/ Z8 / Z5 identify the nation of manufacturer

2/ The J21 variant of the Qashqai was launched in 2013 and modified in '17 ..

My knowledge in this matter is gleaned from memory - backed up by the press info available on the net .. 

It is noted you ducked your claim that 'Piter' assembled Qashqai's are sold in the EU - which is at variance with Nissan's own material

Online msmoby

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:02:21 AM »
J21 iis a typo - I meant J11

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 05:45:27 AM »

Another fail.

Dear Gypo

As you say - the document  - small plasticised card -  is what one must carry in the car and the DPS want to see in any check

It's also what the border / customs services what to see when entering / leaving Russia

It's what you need when buying 'insurance' - I use that term loosely in Russia - given the stunts used NOT to pay out

It's what you need when first registering the vehicle - getting a registration umber / licence plate / tags

It's what you show to be allowed to transport one's car on RZD trains ( Russian Railways )

I have entered and left and left / entered the RF with the UK and RU variants .... 

I'm  suggesting you may be trying to suggest an 'error' on my part - rather than just accepting a fail on YOUR part   ..

You have repeated nonsense re the VIN given

1/ Z8 / Z5 identify the nation of manufacturer

2/ The J21 variant of the Qashqai was launched in 2013 and modified in '17 ..

My knowledge in this matter is gleaned from memory - backed up by the press info available on the net .. 

It is noted you ducked your claim that 'Piter' assembled Qashqai's are sold in the EU - which is at variance with Nissan's own material

Moby, you are a complete waste of space/time/effort.
Other readers of this thread will be in no doubt as to the accuracy of my contribution.
Sometimes I get the feeling that you post stuff only to get a reaction which you can then try to show yourself as a more knowledgeable person than anyone else...
As SC or your so called "Biz partners" to clarify some of your stupidity posted above which is now stricken out, learn to post correct facts or STFU.
I'm done with you..

Online msmoby

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »

Other readers of this thread will be in no doubt as to the accuracy of my contribution.

That's  'validation' ?  What you 'struck through' was factual ...   If you wish to mislead others to 'look good' ..knock yourself out

Sometimes I get the feeling that you post stuff only to get a reaction which you can then try to show yourself as a more knowledgeable person than anyone else...

Given you 'jumped in' and suggested bollox like:

1/ The 'Piter' built Qashqai is exported to the EU - even though I posted a Nissan site that shows where they they are sold - no mention of EU
and
2/ you 'disagree' with Russians as to what their car docs are used for ..

you'll forgive some head-scratching this end ...

As SC or your so called "Biz partners" to clarify some of your stupidity posted above which is now stricken out, learn to post correct facts or STFU.
I'm done with you..

To repeat - I have crossed RU frontiers with the small 'log-book' , ( 'Abkhazia' ) had to produce it, for DPS police stop checks , to get insurance and was shown one - as to what was required to put my UK car on a Russian train - I didn't understand the document they wanted

But I did ask SC and both of my RU bused biz partners ( no need for inverted commas , seeing they are fellow Directors and shareholders ) - and - as usual - they  wonder why I waste my time.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 12:43:27 AM »

That's  'validation' ?  What you 'struck through' was factual ...   If you wish to mislead others to 'look good' ..knock yourself out

Given you 'jumped in' and suggested bollox like:

1/ The 'Piter' built Qashqai is exported to the EU - even though I posted a Nissan site that shows where they they are sold - no mention of EU
and
2/ you 'disagree' with Russians as to what their car docs are used for ..

you'll forgive some head-scratching this end ...

I'm done with you..

To repeat - I have crossed RU frontiers with the small 'log-book' , ( 'Abkhazia' ) had to produce it, for DPS police stop checks , to get insurance and was shown one - as to what was required to put my UK car on a Russian train - I didn't understand the document they wanted

But I did ask SC and both of my RU bused biz partners ( no need for inverted commas , seeing they are fellow Directors and shareholders ) - and - as usual - they  wonder why I waste my time.

You really do manipulate what others have written and talk a lot of bollox at times, and try to waste other peoples time.

I said,  "alleviate any customer "anti-Russian" views for cars exported within the EU". I did not say that they will/won't/have/have not, it does allow them to export to the EU if they so desire, remember, car manufacturers do not lie/miss report/miss lead, do they? (oooppsss VW springs to mind).

You posted the VIN number, whereupon I commented that it was a 2014 model year veh, take the 10th letter/number and check for yourself. (ooppss its an E, which is a 2014) Shot ourselves in the foot haven't we.
https://support.alldata.com/alldata-repair-online-article/vin-to-year-chart

I also state that the veh was built in St P's, nowhere else.

I wrote about the pre-view/launch/manufacturing, read for yourself, and stop quoting "wiki", Like you, they are not altogether honest.
https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/release-114366-nissan-s-new-crossover-icon-in-production

To carry on with veh registration in Russia, when you buy a new car here, these days the dealer will register the veh for you, but having done it myself more than once both with new cars and a s/h veh (All in my name, NOT my wife's), I can write about it correctly. (can you? I doubt it)

Quote "you 'disagree' with Russians as to what their car docs are used for .". unquote, Utter manipulation of what was written, we were NOT talking about what the registration doc is used for, nor were we referring to leaving the country with vehicle docs, stick to the theme of the discussion.

With a new car, you get the car, its technical passport that's all, you then obtain Insurance, and off you jolly well trot to the GIBDD, where you make the registration application, show the car to them for VIN control, submit all docs and pay the dues and sit down until your name is called, then you go to the little window where they give you your Number plates and the little plasticised REGISTRATION card.

These days, and for the last year or so, the GIBDD check on their computer system that the car is actually insured BEFORE issuing the registration plates and plasticised card.

Within a couple of days you need to give a copy of the registration to your insurer for their records to prove that the reg process is completed.

With a s/h veh there is a slight difference to the above as de-registration also takes place.

I am NOT Russian but know that what I have written here (re registration) is 110% accurate, which is definitely more than you have experienced, now "go away" and ask your "Russian Biz partners" for their valuable advice.

END OF.

Online msmoby

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 02:22:31 AM »

You really do manipulate what others have written and talk a lot of bollox at times, and try to waste other peoples time.

You are describing what you have done on this thread to a T

Unfortunately  - for you - SC's new car - was driven off the forecourt without a  registration number ( tags?) and she is JUST back from Adler - where she went to get her number allocated - I will post the document and date just to demonstrate that you really shouldn't mislead folks

As to the VIN, I have checked back the last four cars that we bought that we know where made in Russia ...Using the 'log book' you tell us isn't the doc Russians have to produce when challenged to prove title..

They show Z5 or Z8 as the country identifier - when doesn't tie in with data you've posted 

The J11 was launched in 2013  and the '2017' facelift is known as a '2018 model' - this could be the source of our remaining difference of opinion

Again, you did suggest the VIN identify might be to 'alleviate fears' - but I pointed out that Nissan have told us the nations the DO manufacture for out of Piter ...are they 'lying', too ?)))

Could it be that how your Oblast vehicle registration process might differ ?- as SC had 10 days to get registered and has been driving around with no plates

I have a video from Dec 17 when I followed her new Focus - as yet unregistered - no plates ( Tags?) - to Adler's railway vehicle loading point - for my UK car's journey to Moscow - if you STILL 'doubt'...

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 04:00:21 AM »
Ok, I have no information on VIN / cars in russia, so I let this topic sit in my unread topics list for a while. Now that I see it had garnered a few replies, I decided it might be interesting to read anyway.

So what did I read in short-version?:

- Moby doesn' know about VIN numbers other than some basic stats and asks the members for help.

- The members reply with valuable information that they found.

- Moby argues that he knows better and refutes the facts of said members.

Point 1 and 3 together ... errrrr... does not compute.

Mark.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online msmoby

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Markje

Moby DIDN'T know about VIN numbers when he asked the Q  :coffeeread:

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
Ok, I have no information on VIN / cars in russia, so I let this topic sit in my unread topics list for a while. Now that I see it had garnered a few replies, I decided it might be interesting to read anyway.

So what did I read in short-version?:

- Moby doesn' know about VIN numbers other than some basic stats and asks the members for help.

- The members reply with valuable information that they found.

- Moby argues that he knows better and refutes the facts of said members.

Point 1 and 3 together ... errrrr... does not compute.

Mark.

Agreed.

I actually found the information Gypsy posted to be quite interesting, even though i'll probably never need it. It's just a shame Moby wastes members time by making us correct his misinformation and lies. Left alone, some naive nutters would think Moby knows what he talks about.

I'm serious though, I believe Moby's on the spectrum.

Online msmoby

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »

Agreed.

Now. sometimes my posts being 'delayed' is beneficial - as the likes of Rosco - poster dafter...  not knowing what awaits..

I actually found the information Gypsy posted to be quite interesting, even though i'll probably never need it. It's just a shame Moby wastes members time by making us correct his misinformation and lies. Left alone, some naive nutters would think Moby knows what he talks about.

You may now have seen the video - which demonstrates that Gypo 's version of things Russia WAS at variance with mine...

I'm serious though, I believe Moby's on the spectrum.

:ROFL:

Online msmoby

iGypo's got it WRONG..about Nissan's investment in the UK, too
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
Remember Gypo told us that Brexit would not effect Nissan's UK investment .... posting  link to prove me 'wrong '...

Ooops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47102708

Nissan is expected to announce that it is cancelling a planned investment at its plant in Sunderland.

As I pointed out in '16- foreign firms seek stability ...

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 02:38:57 AM »

You are describing what you have done on this thread to a T

Unfortunately  - for you - SC's new car - was driven off the forecourt without a  registration number ( tags?) and she is JUST back from Adler - where she went to get her number allocated - I will post the document and date just to demonstrate that you really shouldn't mislead folks

As to the VIN, I have checked back the last four cars that we bought that we know where made in Russia ...Using the 'log book' you tell us isn't the doc Russians have to produce when challenged to prove title..

They show Z5 or Z8 as the country identifier - when doesn't tie in with data you've posted 

The J11 was launched in 2013  and the '2017' facelift is known as a '2018 model' - this could be the source of our remaining difference of opinion

Again, you did suggest the VIN identify might be to 'alleviate fears' - but I pointed out that Nissan have told us the nations the DO manufacture for out of Piter ...are they 'lying', too ?)))

Could it be that how your Oblast vehicle registration process might differ ?- as SC had 10 days to get registered and has been driving around with no plates

I have a video from Dec 17 when I followed her new Focus - as yet unregistered - no plates ( Tags?) - to Adler's railway vehicle loading point - for my UK car's journey to Moscow - if you STILL 'doubt'...

I'm NOT going to go through the shit which you have quiet cleverly and manipulative written, waste of time, you have to be right about everything.

https://www.rbth.com/arts/2017/07/28/how-to-register-a-car-in-your-name-in-russia-5-not-so-easy-steps_813086

Read and digest.

No one said anything about not being able to drive without plates, its common practice, I've done it also, BUT, to do so, you need the car sales doc's to prove purchase, the Technical passport (A5 size 4 sides), and insurance, but until you get the plates, you don't get the small plasticised doc.

The rest of which you have written is irrelevant bullshit..

Now please be so kind as to go away and try to find someone else to piss about... I'm busy.

Offline Gipsy

Re: iGypo's got it WRONG..about Nissan's investment in the UK, too
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 02:41:19 AM »
Remember Gypo told us that Brexit would not effect Nissan's UK investment .... posting  link to prove me 'wrong '...

Ooops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47102708

Nissan is expected to announce that it is cancelling a planned investment at its plant in Sunderland.

As I pointed out in '16- foreign firms seek stability ...

You should be honest and ADD that this was NOT caused by the Brexit decision..

Online msmoby

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »

I'm NOT going to go through the shit which you have quiet cleverly and manipulative written, waste of time, you have to be right about everything.

:ROFL:

You aren't because

1/ the video busts your theory re the registration process

2/ your link doesn't reflect what has just happened for us- Fifth time

No one said anything about not being able to drive without plates, its common practice, I've done it also, BUT, to do so, you need the car sales doc's to prove purchase, the Technical passport (A5 size 4 sides), and insurance, but until you get the plates, you don't get the small plasticised doc.

You don't get the small plasticised doc until you get your registration plate/ tags - hence my point that the small doc is the UK eqic of a V5C as THAT is the doc that  ties one to the car, Vin # and licence plate / tag ...  SIGHS

The rest of which you have written is irrelevant bullshit..

'Interesting' given

1/ The Z5 , z8 indicate Russia on a VIN

2/ It is now clear that the small plasticised card  is THE doc one uses to prove the car is yours and matches ones license plates and VIN number

3/ You ducked ( again) the point thet Russian made Nissan's were/ are not being exported to the EU - at the time of the Nissan website announcement ( 2017)

Registration