The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: American suspected or spying arrested in Russia  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: American suspected or spying arrested in Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »

Standard procedure before negotiations for a spy or criminal swap.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
Is it safe to go to Russia now as an American? 

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »

Well it is one way to influence your countries tourist income.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
it definitely affects tourism.  if its politically motivated then any innocent tourist could be a target. 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
Whether or not the Russian woman is an intelligence agent, I think that the American guy very probably is.

If this is to become the basis of a swap then it makes sense for Russia to take a real piece off the board. There's two obvious reasons:
1. Taking out a real agent serves to decrease the operational effectiveness of the United States in Russia.
2. A genuine spy is likely to be a bigger and more valuable bargaining piece than some random tourist.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »
Whether or not the Russian woman is an intelligence agent, I think that the American guy very probably is.

..and the basis for that conclusion is...?

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 04:45:06 AM »

Because the FSB said so?

Its basicly the same with Maria Butina, except the countries are reversed.

(And no, confessing after months of solitary confinement isn't a worthy confession)
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 06:03:39 AM »

I expect you'll be fine if not a spy.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
or a bit like being a Canadian - if in China ? ...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 09:09:03 AM »

Reading getting harder for you? (among the few things that are still getting harder these days, eh?)

Offline SL0413

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »

If this is to become the basis of a swap then it makes sense for Russia to take a real piece off the board. There's two obvious reasons:
1. Taking out a real agent serves to decrease the operational effectiveness of the United States in Russia.
2. A genuine spy is likely to be a bigger and more valuable bargaining piece than some random tourist.

Why is the American an intelligent agent?

There were months of stories about Maria Butina.  Then there is just a couple of paragraphs about the American, who was only there about a week to attend a wedding of a friend.  And yet the "American guy very probably is"...  What???

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
Read what I wrote and get back to me. The number of days spent in Russia is irrelevant as, on reflection, I am sure you will agree.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »

Reading getting harder for you? (among the few things that are still getting harder these days, eh?)

NOTHING you wrote gave any near plausible explanation - hence the question - ALL you offered up was an opinion

Offline SL0413

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
Read what I wrote and get back to me. The number of days spent in Russia is irrelevant as, on reflection, I am sure you will agree.

Yes, I have read it.  Please stop misdirecting and state why the "American guy very probably is" an intelligent agent.  Or leave it vague and make it look like an informed opinion, as you are doing.

You follow it up with statements to "take a real piece off the board", making an assumed inference that the American is an intelligent agent.  I assume you think that the act of arresting the American automatically makes him "very probably" an agent?   I would offer the counter view that arresting someone who is an easy target - ex US military, current occupation in corporate security - can make it easy to turn the opinion of those with FSU bias to support them when they do not offer up any other evidence.

He may or may not be.  There has not been much information provided, other than the accusation by Russia and denials by family. 

I liked you sly comment of "whether or not the Russian woman" with the follow up that the american is very probable.  Nice wordplay to infer that the Russian woman is likely not an agent by contrary association, without direct statement. 

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
The guys brother is on Twitter claiming he is a regular bloke, although he would wouldn't he? 

Not many Americans attend weddings of friends in Russia. Lets face it, not many Americans have passports even. And Russia is like the 'bogey man' over there so this guy is way beyond the norm in any event. 
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
It seems the person under arrest was a US Marine. He served in Iraq. Since retiring he was made numerous personal trips to Russia. This trip was to attend another ex-Marine's wedding to a Russian woman.

He is some sort of director/executive at Borg-Warner a company that makes automotive/truck parts in the mid-West. He is responsible for security at a production facility in America and on a regular basis visits international facilities to inspect there security.

So it makes sense he has a passport. The Marines are a tight 'fraternity' so attending a wedding in a country that you have visited numerous times makes sense. Not all American's are fearful of Russians some are even best friends.

Russia has not provided any evidence or proof regarding guilt, why does that sound so familiar?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 04:39:47 PM »
I'm not intimately acquainted with the case, but Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up. The Yanks will have spies in there so why catch a bloke that isn't one if they can catch one that is? Russian intelligence isn't shabby.

There is probably much we don't yet know here.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 05:08:04 PM »
The guy had to have contacted someone of interest to get noticed. Just visiting to attend a wedding ain't gonna sound any alarms.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 09:00:35 PM »
it definitely affects tourism.  if its politically motivated then any innocent tourist could be a target.

The truth whether the American is a spy or is a tourist really doesn't matter. Russia needs an American to trade for a Russian. They may pick up another American if they feel the need. I think they hate the Russian bride seekers the most since it affects their population growth.

Westerners will take notice and some will cancel vacations to Russia. Russia knows this but will do what they think is in their best interest.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
t Russia doesn't have form for making stuff like this up.

IF I was allowed to edit my own profile my current sig would read ," He really did say that" with a 'straight' face ;)

The Americans are no angels, either re getting suspects into custody .

Offline Manny

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 05:10:59 AM »
IF I was allowed to edit my own profile my current sig would read ," He really did say that"

There ya go.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 09:11:15 AM »
The FSB stated they caught him in the act. Still no further details on how/where
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 03:09:12 PM »
There's plenty of spies in Russia. There's no need to pick up somebody who isn't one. Of course, the USA would say that the guy was innocent. That's the script.

So, Occam's Razor suggests that he is a spy and that he was picked up whilst in the act.

Does that same rule apply to the Russian woman? I think less strongly because there were domestic political needs met by her arrest that had nothing directly to do with Russia.

If one were to ask if it was risky to be a Russian visiting the USA, I'd be much more cautious about saying that there was no risk whilst not being so cautious about American people visiting Russia.

However, if one were to ask if the guy was picked up in order to facilitate an exchange, I'd be thinking that he was, that's because the Russians are probably happy to have a bunch of spies that they know about and are watching.

The new guy is a very low value target, arresting him gives away little or nothing about their counter intelligence operations and, it would seem likely that he was not very good at his job.

It is my guess that there's a number of people who are likely to raise a flag and are surveilled on arrival in foreign countries. From what I have read about this guy, I would have expected that he would have been under surveillance from the moment that he boarded his flight to Moscow.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »

The American who was arrested in Russia got a dishonorable discharge for larceny when he was a Sargent in the military. There's a strict vetting process before someone can work as a spy, in an intelligence agency, and trusted with secrets. I serious doubt America's intelligence agencies would trust a thief who betrayed his country to work for us again.