The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: British / US cards STILL do not work when paying online for many RU firms  (Read 3680 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Some time ago I was told I was 'making it up' re this issue

Well here we are and I was TRYING to pay for flights from Cyprus to Sochi

The click to pay button takes me to the UK bank verification page - then ... "Payment method unsuccessful"'  - tried three times

Called UK bank .. the usual ... "NO attempt has been made to debit your account "

Paid £2 extra via opodo and no problem

When I do not see the Google wallet option appear - I now know - it ain't going to work

We pay online bills via an RU card

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

I'm unclear. You were trying to use a UK card to book these flights? Or a Russian card as its online? And with whom? And what has Google wallet to do with it?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
From what you have told us, the use of the word 'many' is incorrect. The correct alternatives would be 'some' or 'a few'.

If the transaction did not get passed to the payment company it might be that your card(s) were not validated by the vendor. For stuff like flight tickets which are seen as a high risk transaction that seems viable. There are blacklists used by merchants that stop a transaction from even going for authorisation. Your card(s) can be blacklisted for a number of reasons but creating charge backs is one.

Given what you have told us before, I wonder whether you have been a keen user of charge backs as a way to get what you want? If so, now you know the outcome.

Back when I was doing online sales I used such a system to block purchases from charge backs and serial refunders. According to this article:  https://blog.riskified.com/fraud-prevention-blacklists-the-ecommerce-sales-killer/ almost all online vendors use such lists and, unlike my small, self-managed effort, larger vendors, I am sure, will share lists.

Perhaps the cause of your problems looks at you in the mirror every morning. You are seen as being a high fraud risk client.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
From what you have told us, the use of the word 'many' is incorrect. The correct alternatives would be 'some' or 'a few'.

If the transaction did not get passed to the payment company it might be that your card(s) were not validated by the vendor. For stuff like flight tickets which are seen as a high risk transaction that seems viable. There are blacklists used by merchants that stop a transaction from even going for authorisation. Your card(s) can be blacklisted for a number of reasons but creating charge backs is one.

Given what you have told us before, I wonder whether you have been a keen user of charge backs as a way to get what you want? If so, now you know the outcome.

Back when I was doing online sales I used such a system to block purchases from charge backs and serial refunders. According to this article:  https://blog.riskified.com/fraud-prevention-blacklists-the-ecommerce-sales-killer/ almost all online vendors use such lists and, unlike my small, self-managed effort, larger vendors, I am sure, will share lists.

Perhaps the cause of your problems looks at you in the mirror every morning. You are seen as being a high fraud risk client.

We get get plenty of payments declined by our card processor for that exact reason, the person has a chargeback history, sometimes it's really annoying as the person will try to make a payment multiple times each time declined and they seldom realize the reason why. I spoke to the card processor on the subject a while back and its nearly always the reason for "Do not honor "  but as they say its in the best interests of the merchant not to take payments from anyone with a charge back history..

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
I'm unclear. You were trying to use a UK card to book these flights?

Correct

And what has Google wallet to do with it?

I store my cards in Google Wallet and I simply have to enter the CVC code for the last 4 digits of any card I choose to use

@Steveboy

"Chargebacks" ?- that's a merchant issue ... Do Ural Airlines and Aeroflot ( RU M-Video, our internet and mobile phone providers iin Russia  get lots of those ?..

@Andrewfi Many is the correct term

2 x VISA

5 x Mastercard

3 western nations

ALL in good payment history status and not 'pre-paid' ....

It is clear who doesn't do much with Russian online payments

@Steveboy  - are  you using a western based card merchant - they'll have no problem 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED

learning more

tried to pay for our Sochi, Russia IPTV / Internet  and it wouldn't even work with RUSSIAN cards

Talked to the owner of the company and he informed me that not many clients WANT to pay from overseas so he pays less to his card merchant and they will only accept payments from CIS IP addresses and bank cards !

So, to pay 750 Roubles..

1/ Had to use a  RU VPN

2/ Used paysend.com to send money to a RussianSberbank  VISA card - money arrived within a minute

3/ Paid the bill online using the RU visa card

The limits for using paysend.com are

1/ £4000 - proof of ID required thereafter - use passport

2/ up to £13,000 proof of address - UK driving licence with address will suffice

3/ over £13k - tax authority correspondence - proof of pension receipts  /bank statement - verified by bank /  pay receipts / letter from solicitor

Sent some apartment sale money to UK card from Russian visa, this evening - arrived in SECONDS - after we worked out that " address not accepted " disappeared - allowing the sending of funds - with the apartment number was omitted. So from Russia, just City, Street and house number

49 Roubles and exchange rate was not horrendous

Easy and cheapest way to send money to / from Russia we've found ...handy if you're in a third country

Offline Geraldneoft

• Spouses Country: Greece
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
British / US cards STILL do not work when paying online for many RU firms
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »
As for visas...when you arrange your visa arrange for extra days at the end of it so you dont run into trouble with flight delays or cancelations.
[spam removed]

Registration