The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Behind the US Attack on Chinese Smartphones  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Behind the US Attack on Chinese Smartphones
« on: December 08, 2018, 01:29:06 AM »
Behind the US Attack on Chinese Smartphones

After having imposed heavy taxes on Chinese merchandise – 250 billion dollars – President Trump, at the G-20, accepted a “truce” by postponing further measures, mainly because the US economy has been struck by Chinese retaliation.

But apart from these commercial considerations, there are also some strategic reasons. Under pressure from the Pentagon and the Intelligence agencies, the USA took the decision to forbid the use of Smartphones and telecommunications infrastructures from the Chinese company Huawei, warning that they may potentially be used for espionage, and pressured their allies to do the same.

The warning concerning the danger of Chinese espionage, especially addressed to Italy, Germany and Japan, countries which house the most important US military bases, came from the same US Intelligence agencies which have been spying on the telephone communications of their allies for years, in particular in Germany and Japan. The US company Apple, at one time the undisputed leader in the sector, saw its sales doubled by Huawei (a company owned by its workers as share-holders), which moved up to the world second place behind the South Korean company Samsung. This is emblematic of a general tendency.

The United States – whose economic supremacy is based artificially on the dollar, until now the main currency for monetary reserves and world commerce – has increasingly been overtaken by China, both in capacity and production quality. The New York Times wrote that

“The West was certain that the Chinese approach was not going to work. All it had to do was wait. It’s still waiting. China is planning a vast global network of commerce, investments and infrastructures, which will remodel financial and geopolitical relations”.

This came about above all, though not entirely, along the New Silk Road that China is currently building across 70 Asian, European and African nations.

The New York Times examined 600 projects which have been implemented by China in 112 countries, including 41 oil and gas pipelines, 199 energy centrals, most of them hydro-electric, (including seven dams in Cambodia which supply half of the country’s needs in electricity), 203 bridges, roads and railways, plus several major ports in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and other countries.

All of this is regarded by Washington as “an aggression against our vital interests”, as declared by the Pentagon in the National Defense Strategy for the United States of America 2018. The Pentagon defines China as a “strategic competitor which uses a predatory economy to intimidate its neighbours”, willfuly overlooking the series of wars waged until 1949 by the United States, including against China, to strip these countries of their resources.

While China is building dams, railways and bridges, useful not only for its commercial network, but also for the development of the countries concerned, in the US wars, dams, railways and bridges are the first targets to be destroyed. China is accused by the Pentagon of “intending to impose, in the short term, its hegemony in the Indo-Pacific region, and catch the United States off-guard in order to achieve future global pre-eminence”, together with Russia, accused of wanting to “crush NATO” and “sabotage the democratic process in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine”.

This is the source of the “incident” in the Kerch Strait, provoked by Kiev under the command of the Pentagon, intended to sabotage the meeting between Presidents Trump and Putin at the G-20 (which is what happened) and force Ukraine into NATO, of which it is already a de facto member.

“Long-term strategic competition with China and Russia” is considered by the Pentagon to be a “main priority”. For this purpose, “we shall modernise our nuclear forces and reinforce the trans-Atlantic Alliance of NATO”.

The original source of this article is Global Research Copyright © Manlio Dinucci, Global Research, 2018
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
Re: Behind the US Attack on Chinese Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
Wiz, Where is Elvis in this?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »
Wiz,

The Kremlin blockading the Ukrainian ports of Azov was a predicted tactic - as you well know - given the EU link  I posted from October

How this can e 'linked' to you conspiracy theory re Huawei is risible

Cisco have been moaning to the US govt or years that the Chinese have planted malicious firmware in Huawei switches and routers . Was this fear from the cheap prices Huawei brought in ? Who can tell?

THIS appears to be the US reacting to Iran sanctions busting ... 

Do you think Trudeau is 'Trampu's' poodle ? ...

In the meantime, you are highly likely to be using Huawei kit to post here..BT and many UK internet providers use their kit  ;)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
Wiz, Where is Elvis in this?

He died many moons ago........  :laugh:

If you can't see the different  approach between China and USA sorry can't help you....
Going for siesta..... :Zzzzsleep:

;D
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
As I have often said, the US will go down kicking, screaming and lashing out. Meanwhile, China and Russia are making friends and investing abroad.

Huawei is way bigger than Apple in China. And growing fast. Honor in the UK are Huawei. I went to buy a Huawei smartphone or three in China and even locally [there] they are about Apple money. Its well regarded tech.

I'm not sure I'd link Huawei to what happened under the Kerch bridge, but the general content of the article is right.

the “incident” in the Kerch Strait, provoked by Kiev under the command of the Pentagon

Yes.

“Long-term strategic competition with China and Russia” is considered by the Pentagon to be a “main priority”.

Yes again.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
The Kremlin blockading the Ukrainian ports of Azov was a predicted tactic -

Nobody has blockaded any ports. Stop fibbing. I think Andrew explained this to you already.

Russia didn't place a blockade on any Ukrainian ports. The Russians blocked the Kerch Strait passage for a few hours until the security situation caused by Ukrainian military vessels was sorted out.

Some vessels, in transit, were delayed for a short while.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »
I'm not a big fan of China as far as them stealing intellectual property and in general ripping us and the europeans off for nearly 100 years when it comes to trade.

Not sure arresting this Huwei executive is a good idea, in fact seems like a dumb idea but I'm not the expert on trade.

Trump had to stand up to China so happy he did that, arresting this lady because she traded with Iran? Why is the USA trying to blockade Iran?  Because of our so-called "ally" Israel--the same asshats who got Nuclear technology from China and who has sold our aircraft technology to China.  :sick0012:

So no, I don't think it's such a good idea. The USA should learn to get along with Iran and defund Israel. And leave Chinese executives alone so that we can make a deal with China. Otherwise Trump will crash the stock market for good and be only a one-term President.

Hey B/B what's your opinion on this mess?

Online AvHdB

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »
Wiz, It was a quip, try to laugh more often!

As for this 'attack', it is about Huwei. The executives lied repeatedly about there 100% ownership of a division that was selling telecommunications systems to Iran. This was against the sanctions and they were on the government radar for a couple years. A senior executive was stupid or arrogant and traveled to Canada.

We will now see some Western (American) executive arrested in China on false charges.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 01:38:05 AM »
As I have often said, the US will go down kicking, screaming and lashing out. Meanwhile, China and Russia are making friends and investing abroad.

Huawei is way bigger than Apple in China. And growing fast. Honor in the UK are Huawei. I went to buy a Huawei smartphone or three in China and even locally [there] they are about Apple money. Its well regarded tech.

I'm not sure I'd link Huawei to what happened under the Kerch bridge, but the general content of the article is right.

the “incident” in the Kerch Strait, provoked by Kiev under the command of the Pentagon

Yes.

“Long-term strategic competition with China and Russia” is considered by the Pentagon to be a “main priority”.

Yes again.

Spot on with your comments and also with the others too!

Moby is narrow minded (know All) and can't see beyond his nose without his glasses.

The article is clear:

"The United States – whose economic supremacy is based artificially on the dollar, until now the main currency for monetary reserves and world commerce – has increasingly been overtaken by China, both in capacity and production quality."

"The New York Times examined 600 projects which have been implemented by China in 112 countries, including 41 oil and gas pipelines, 199 energy centrals, most of them hydro-electric, (including seven dams in Cambodia which supply half of the country’s needs in electricity), 203 bridges, roads and railways, plus several major ports in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and other countries."

"All of this is regarded by Washington as “an aggression against our vital interests”, as declared by the Pentagon in the National Defense Strategy for the United States of America 2018. The Pentagon defines China as a “strategic competitor which uses a predatory economy to intimidate its neighbours”, willfully overlooking the series of wars waged until 1949 by the United States, including against China, to strip these countries of their resources."

While China is building dams, railways and bridges, useful not only for its commercial network, but also for the development of the countries concerned, in the US wars, dams, railways and bridges are the first targets to be destroyed."

"China is accused by the Pentagon of “intending to impose, in the short term, its hegemony in the Indo-Pacific region, and catch the United States off-guard in order to achieve future global pre-eminence”, together with Russia, accused of wanting to “crush NATO” and “sabotage the democratic process in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine”.

So i wonder what Moby cannot understand?

tiphat

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 01:46:52 AM »

Nobody has blockaded any ports. Stop fibbing. I think Andrew explained this to you already.

The Kremlin is actively blockading the Ukrainians rightful access to their ports - andrewfi has merely been andrewfi - lots of words - no substance in fact

They fired upon and 'captured' UA vessels / personnel and you must have selective vision to deny the rightful howls of indignation

Offline Wiz

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 01:50:48 AM »
Wiz, It was a quip, try to laugh more often!

As for this 'attack', it is about Huwei. The executives lied repeatedly about there 100% ownership of a division that was selling telecommunications systems to Iran. This was against the sanctions and they were on the government radar for a couple years. A senior executive was stupid or arrogant and traveled to Canada.

We will now see some Western (American) executive arrested in China on false charges.

AvHdB

Take another look at my reply...again.... I told you I was falling asleep.....

My wife has not told me, yet,  that I laugh when I am asleep.....  :laugh:

From the article:

"The United States – whose economic supremacy is based artificially on the dollar, until now the main currency for monetary reserves and world commerce – has increasingly been overtaken by China, both in capacity and production quality. The New York Times wrote that

“The West was certain that the Chinese approach was not going to work. All it had to do was wait. It’s still waiting. China is planning a vast global network of commerce, investments and infrastructures, which will remodel financial and geopolitical relations”.

This came about above all, though not entirely, along the New Silk Road that China is currently building across 70 Asian, European and African nation"

Obviously the method for expansion and trade used by China has been very successful.

I have noticed, wherever I have travelled in Europe or RF, there was a Chinese shop selling various cheap staff and all legally!

It has been a very long time since I saw an American car around.

BTW all these actions by the USA, imposing sanctions to so many nations, because of its might, soon it will comeback and bite its ass..... the dollar will collapse and......the American Empire will become history.

tiphat

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 04:35:48 AM »

The Kremlin is actively blockading the Ukrainians rightful access to their ports - andrewfi has merely been andrewfi - lots of words - no substance in fact

They fired upon and 'captured' UA vessels / personnel and you must have selective vision to deny the rightful howls of indignation
keep repeating a lie and it will become truth eh? Not for you im afraid as people spot the truth easily here. No blockade present.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 05:06:53 AM »

keep repeating a lie and it will become truth eh? Not for you im afraid as people spot the truth easily here. No blockade present.
[/quote]

Would that be like

1/ The Crimea bridge will open in Dec 2017 ?

or 2/ there's never been an international airport at Belbek

or 3/ I posted an article (stats) that were 8 years old re VK ?

;)

I guess stopping and preventing legitimate shipping isn't a 'blockade' to you ...

Online AvHdB

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 06:12:55 AM »

I have been watching AIS and while blockade is the wrong word, ship traffic is down substantially to the two Ukraine ports.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »
It is hardly surprising that traffic is down at this time. If you were the Ukrainian master of a small vessel, consuming the information from the Ukrainian government then you'd be mad to cross the Kerch strait - but that's not about Russians stopping traffic.

Kinda like how Americans have, in the past, stopped coming to Europe because of what they were told about some incident over here.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration