The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: VKontakte  (Read 7668 times)

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
VKontakte
« on: November 19, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »
"I just had a feeling," Ewald said. "As corny as that sounds, of all the girls I friend requested and messaged, even after the first online conversation something stood out about her." When he met her in person in Ukraine just a few weeks later, they were "inseparable."

Last Monday, he flew to Ukraine to bring Chumakova back to the U.S. They just passed an interview at the American Embassy for Chumakova to get her fiancée visa and are waiting for it to arrive in the mail. "Then we can buy tickets to travel back to america!" Ewald wrote in an email. So far, though, theirs is something of a success story for this new subsection of the international dating scene.

https://gawker.com/5909410/ukrainin-men-how-american-men-are-using-the-russian-facebook-to-find-brides

Offline Contrarian

Re: VKontakte
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:25 PM »
But some men have grown wary of the industry that promises them lifelong happiness with a woman from the economically-depressed country of their choice. They complain that the agencies are corrupt, and more interested in making money than matches. Agency rosters are stuffed with savvy "pro-daters" who are just out for gifts and cash handouts, they say. Or the agencies themselves hire women to pretend to be interested in guys in order to keep them sending expensive messages through their sites, which can cost $8 a piece.

"Be warned! Most of the girls are not genuine, they are out to make $$$$$ and not to meet the man of their dreams," writes a blogger who says his Ukrainian ex-girlfriend was hired to correspond with lovelorn Westerners on Anastasia International, one of the more popular agencies.

https://gawker.com/5909410/ukrainin-men-how-american-men-are-using-the-russian-facebook-to-find-brides

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
Stephen Ewald took to VKontakte after a period of romantic disappointment, starting when his wife of 10 years divorced him in 2008. "She decided to go gay on me," Ewald told me in his sharp midwestern accent. "She's got a lesbian life partner living with her now."

Getting back into the dating game was a daunting task for Ewald, who describes himself as a shy guy who'd rather spend a night at the bowling alley than in the club. (He was on the bowling team all four years when he studied at Michigan State University.) So he signed up for Yahoo! Personals. After a few weeks and a couple of lackluster dates with local women, he was targeted by one of the many Russian scammers who haunt U.S. dating sites. He avoided being reeled in, but the image of his attractive, albeit fake, Russian correspondent was burned in his brain.

"That prompted me to start thinking, you know, the girls from Eastern Europe are really attractive," Ewald said. "I said, what the hell, let me look into this more. There might be something to this after all."

Online Guile

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
Found a new dating app Confed?  ;D  how's your Russian, could be some good catches there, get 'er!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:18:43 AM »
That was back in 2009! VK is not the best place to find a women for marriage , if your looking for a few meetings or in fact lots of meetings its pretty easy to do (Or it was about 10 years ago as I met hundreds of women on there) but generally there are usually three types you will contact there:

1. Women who are just curious to say hello to a foreigner and not much more, they will be happy to meet for a coffee or go to a club for the night with you,
but thats it.. leaving their country to marry you.. 0.5% of that.They may show an interest in your passport , but that means just looking at it! Nothing more..

2. The other type of women is the type who will just write a simple message to you , something like F**** ff

3. And the final one , she will not even acknowledge you, your just some stupid foreigner..

I did VK many years ago, it was like spamming sending copy paste messages to hundreds of girls , I should think it is even harder today and your more likely to get a response like point 2.

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
As I don't normally see / read stuff from Cornfed, I've waited until someone WITH a clue re dating in Russia posted ..

It's mainly used by FSUW under 30 and it a shyte place to find a wife ... most women using it chat to other women and block the ijiots that use it as a place to hook up .. by hiding their profiles

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
As I don't normally see / read stuff from Cornfed, I've waited until someone WITH a clue re dating in Russia posted ..

It's mainly used by FSUW under 30 and it a shyte place to find a wife ... most women using it chat to other women and block the ijiots that use it as a place to hook up .. by hiding their profiles

:ROFL:

Once again, Moby is either lying or continuing to show how out of touch he is. Perhaps Moby came to this conclusion having been blocked by a young lady for being an idiot?

Both men and woman use Vkontakte and whilst the younger generations probably spend more time on social media, it's also used by many people from different backgrounds and ages. I also suspect that the meeting people bit is determined by who's is writing who and what is being said. I have no doubt Moby would think its rubbish because once you've met Moby on social media, the normal thing to do would be to block him.

The only shyte you'll find about VKontakte is the garbage Moby wrote above. It's a crap version of Facebook, no more no less.

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:30 AM »
I was bored of the politics so attempted to start a thread about romance, leave it to Moldy to attempt to derail it.

I agree with Roscoe, Moldy prolly has a higher rate of being blocked than Turks do!  :chuckle:

I was only the messenger on this one; yet it’s possibly better than many “pay per letter” sites.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
I was bored of the politics so attempted to start a thread about romance, leave it to Moldy to attempt to derail it.

I agree with Roscoe, Moldy prolly has a higher rate of being blocked than Turks do!  :chuckle:

I was only the messenger on this one; yet it’s possibly better than many “pay per letter” sites.

PPL (Pay per letter ) Sites are nearly non existent now anyway , they were something from the past now they are so archaic its un real..

Most have closed down or about to close down and the few that are still going.. well lets face it you have to be a complete and utter idiot even thinking
about using such sites..
As for giving warnings about such sites ... FORGET it! Let guys use the last few PPL sites .. these sort of people will never change..

Its like this, I have some very old members who I have often advised to stop waisting time chasing school girls around , your never going to get any where..how ever much you try to advice or help .. some people simply are not interested..some will even think "Well hang on a minute! who do you think you are telling me? Im 70 years old, still have all my teeth, most of my hair! And in fact I have a lot to give a young 30 year old women.. for a start a better chance in life"  :'(

The last few remaining PPL sites are actually near on the verge of sex sites in anywise.. its cheaper to use one of those sex phone lines.. much much cheaper!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
I did the VK thing many years ago, I wouldn't waste my time there now if I was single..

Its like this, you have a barbecue at your house and invite your friends and family around , your all there chatting away having a drink.. and suddenly "Hey presto" some unknown  *snip* from down the street jumps over your fence and offers to help you cook your sausages .. :laugh:

What do you think everyone will say ? *********************************

It is kind of the same on VK and Facebook even more so now than years back.. now most women will think your a complete jerk to write to her out of the blue with something like "Hi!! Baby! Im Bobby from the USA, fancy a chat" "Im looking for a wife baby "

Yeah you can meet some women still , but very hard and who wants to be an unwanted guest!!

I also used to use ICQ which was really great at the time .. but a lot harder to spam potential women to meet than VK.. but it worked some times!! Nice little program ICQ Im surprised they never made it big like Skype ((

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
I did the VK thing many years ago, I wouldn't waste my time there now if I was single..

Its like this, you have a barbecue at your house and invite your friends and family around , your all there chatting away having a drink.. and suddenly "Hey presto" some unknown  *snip* from down the street jumps over your fence and offers to help you cook your sausages .. :laugh:

It is kind of the same on VK and Facebook even more so now than years back.. now most women will think your a complete jerk to write to her out of the blue with something like "Hi!! Baby! Im Bobby from the USA, fancy a chat" "Im looking for a wife baby "

Yeah you can meet some women still , but very hard and who wants to be an unwanted guest!!

I also used to use ICQ which was really great at the time .. but a lot harder to spam potential women to meet than VK.. but it worked some times!! Nice little program ICQ Im surprised they never made it big like Skype ((

Disclaimer: Steveboy operates a website, https://bridesandlovers.com/

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »

Disclaimer: Steveboy operates a website, BridesandLovers.com/

You think Im writing about VK and its down side in the hope people will go to my website ?  :chuckle:

Im not that desperate!!

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
Re: ICQ
I also loved that program, and it was the forerunner to so much of what we have today.
I'm sure one of you tech savvy members will know, but didn't some of the guys who developed ICQ go on to found Skype??
I find myself staying with Whatsapp and Viber these days since you can also video call as well as message

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »
I also loved that program, and it was the forerunner to so much of what we have today.
I'm sure one of you tech savvy members will know, but didn't some of the guys who developed ICQ go on to found Skype??
I find myself staying with Whatsapp and Viber these days since you can also video call as well as message

I think Skype has had its days now..

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 10:46:29 PM »

Disclaimer: Steveboy operates a website, www.bridesandlovers.com/

You think Im writing about VK and its down side in the hope people will go to my website ?  :chuckle:

Yes!  :laugh:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 06:14:54 AM »

Only Microsoft can screw up a more or less perfect platform. Somewhere I read there was some connection between ICQ and what became Skype.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »

Once again, Moby is either lying

'once again?'  :chuckle:

or continuing to show how out of touch he is. Perhaps Moby came to this conclusion having been blocked by a young lady for being an idiot?

Rosco, why DO you comment on stuff you cannot have  experience of ?

Personally,  I know 14 ladies with VK profiles who you won't find - because that's how they like it ...  They are either married, in a relationship or are single and don't want blokes - from anywhere - seeking to be 'friends'

Info 3 years old - but 'backs up' my assertion re generation usage

https://www.russiansearchtips.com/2015/01/portrait-typical-vk-user-revealed/

Russia’s largest social network – is known for attracting younger audience as opposed to Odnoklassniki – Russia’s second largest network – where older people like to hang out.

Both men and woman use Vkontakte and whilst the younger generations probably spend more time on social media, it's also used by many people from different backgrounds and ages. I also suspect that the meeting people bit is determined by who's is writing who and what is being said. I have no doubt Moby would think its rubbish because once you've met Moby on social media, the normal thing to do would be to block him.

Typical Rosco  - just 'insults' with nought to counter my contention - 'attack' the poster )))

The only shyte you'll find about VKontakte is the garbage Moby wrote above. It's a crap version of Facebook, no more no less.

See what I mean ?

In the meantime it is the third most popular social site in Russia - behind youtube  and yandex   ( source Alexa )

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 06:24:34 AM »

Only Microsoft can screw up a more or less perfect platform.

The android version is quite good, now and iy has a screenshot function which allows rapid screen grabs

Somewhere I read there was some connection between ICQ and what became Skype.[/font][/size]

MS own Skype and ICQ is owned by mail.ru ( Uzamov )

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »

Only Microsoft can screw up a more or less perfect platform. Somewhere I read there was some connection between ICQ and what became Skype.

Problem with Skype its not convenient to use like Whats App people do not even use it as a form of connecting with singles they meet on dating sites any more.. It always used to be "Do you have Skype?" not any more thats old hat.. Whats app and Viber , nothing else.. even asking a women to chat in Skype  its "I don't need this shit" Whats app or nothing..

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »

PPL (Pay per letter ) Sites are nearly non existent now anyway , they were something from the past now they are so archaic its un real..

Most have closed down or about to close down and the few that are still going.. well lets face it you have to be a complete and utter idiot even thinking
about using such sites..
As for giving warnings about such sites ... FORGET it! Let guys use the last few PPL sites .. these sort of people will never change..

Its like this, I have some very old members who I have often advised to stop waisting time chasing school girls around , your never going to get any where..how ever much you try to advice or help .. some people simply are not interested..some will even think "Well hang on a minute! who do you think you are telling me? Im 70 years old, still have all my teeth, most of my hair! And in fact I have a lot to give a young 30 year old women.. for a start a better chance in life"  :'(

The last few remaining PPL sites are actually near on the verge of sex sites in anywise.. its cheaper to use one of those sex phone lines.. much much cheaper!

Well, I registered on several PPL sites many years ago and they still are sending me letters up to this day.   :chuckle:  These sites have NOT shut down.  You don't kill the goose with the golden eggs.   :nod:
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »

ICQ was the first IM programs that I used on the internet.  When it got moved over to AOL, it quickly lost the user base.  Anything that AOL touches dies a slow death.    :ROFL:

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

about using such sites..

Well, I registered on several PPL sites many years ago and they still are sending me letters up to this day.   :chuckle:  These sites have NOT shut down.  You don't kill the goose with the golden eggs.   :nod:

Most have shut down! But if your registered at 500 PPL sites and 1000 Porn site you will probably still receive notifications for ever.. :laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

ICQ was the first IM programs that I used on the internet.  When it got moved over to AOL, it quickly lost the user base.  Anything that AOL touches dies a slow death.    :ROFL:

It is not owned by AOL, now .. ;)

Offline dcguyusa

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »

It is not owned by AOL, now .. ;)

AOL also took over the Netscape Navigator program and it died a LONG SLOW DEATH.   :GRAVE:

All of my ICQ contacts have disappeared, so I don't use it anymore.  The main webpage was an oddity when I first registered.  So much cluttering packed into one URL.   :chuckle:

Offline Wiz

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:16 PM »
From Gawker......https://gawker.com/5909410/ukrainin-men-how-american-men-are-using-the-russian-facebook-to-find-brides

"Google brought Ewald to the flourishing online community of Western men who lust after Eastern European women. On message boards like Russian Women Discussion, Ruadventures, and Fiance.com, they offer each other tips and encouragement, and detail trips to Russia and other countries in the former Soviet Union (FSU, in message board terms) to scope out the FSU women they say make superior mates.

These men say they prefer Eastern European women because they're more family-oriented and traditional than their American counterparts. But they often fall into the bitter misogyny you'd expect from men who concoct sweeping sociological explanations for their shitty love lives.

"The American men are being decimated. That's one of the reason homosexuality is so popular," an FSU-fancier named Ken told me. "[American] women have become so dangerous, so damaging that it's just not worth it.

"Russian women know what they are," he added. "They're not men with boobs. That's what they are in America, they're men with boobs."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!