The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 07:46:35 PM »
 Have they enforced this on me?  Well, my relatives waited until the time of support on the petition had passed before they applied for social service support.  But had they not, would it have fallen on the petitioner or others named on it?

Is it safe to assume, then, that it wasn't an I-864 that you signed?

As mentioned above, passing time, in the absence of the beneficiary working and accruing social security credit, does not free one from the obligation, according to my reading of the rules.

Online yankee

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 06:44:39 AM »
Have they enforced this on me?  Well, my relatives waited until the time of support on the petition had passed before they applied for social service support.  But had they not, would it have fallen on the petitioner or others named on it?

As mentioned above, passing time, in the absence of the beneficiary working and accruing social security credit, does not free one from the obligation, according to my reading of the rules.

Please read BB's comments
This question
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 07:22:45 AM »
You know life really is to short to worry about any of this shit.. you could die tomorrow!

Don't waste your life thinking about "what if". Just do..

I could spend half my life wondering if Im going to die in road accident every time I take a taxi as they drive like idiots, last weekend a car just missed us by inches ! I always wear a belt in the back and ready for the brace position.. yeah really.  :laugh:
But I'm not going to waste my time thinking about what happens if we do get hit.. I will cross that path if it happens, well I will try to if Im able to walk!!

Whats the worst that can possibly happen to you? There are kids in Africa 3 years old who haven't eaten a proper dinner for 6 months and your working about if some women you haven't even married yet may take your "Salt and pepper pot"
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »

I haven't filed the I-864 recently, so do not know if any of the regulations have changed.  Going back decades, filing the form obliged the sponsor to provide financial assistance to the beneficiary without government assistance.  But, there was a time limit applied to this obligation.  I don't recall the exact amount, but it was not until the death of the beneficiary.  There is also another immigration form similar to I-864 that obliged the petitioner to assume financial responsibility for the beneficiary, but I don't recall the form number.

That is how it was also applied decades ago.  The beneficiary was blocked from becoming a "freeloader" on welfare during the time period specified on the petition.  If you tried to circumvent the rules and got benefits, they could come after the petitioner.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd