The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline justadude

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Have you ever signed an I-864 affidavit of support?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
Thanks Yankee, Bill and Billy. I appreciate the first hand perspective.

Online Confederate

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
These responses illustrate how difficult it is to get a relevant answer to a specific question without emotions getting involved on RUA...

(And yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of trolling when the flaming gets ridiculous)

I guessed that one correctly didn't I?!  :coffeeread:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
What's the poverty level in California? 

Are you sure it's for life? 

I thought it was for ten years. 

Does this exist in the UK/EU? 

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »

The clock starts ticking once she stars working.  Once she is credited with 40 quarters of work - ten years if consecutive - then the obligation ceases, however....Plot twist!...per the BCIS website, it also vanishes once the immigrant becomes a US citizen.  That can happen substantially sooner.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 12:21:07 AM »

Nope ...   The poor FSU partner can find themselves being 'asked to leave' if the relationship doesn't work out ..

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »

Nope ...   The poor FSU partner can find themselves being 'asked to leave' if the relationship doesn't work out ..

Unless they hoodwink the authorities and cheat the taxpayer by not getting divorced and pretend on paper that they are still a functioning married couple. I am sure nobody here knows anyone who would do such a thing.  :whist11:
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline Halo

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
I had to sign a similar obligation when I sponsored my husband.  At that time, it was a 10 year obligation, citizenship did not matter.  It's less now, though I can't be bothered to look it up.  I'm still married, so obviously, it was never an issue.

You are worrying about almost nothing.  As I posted in your other thread, FSUW generally do not sit on welfare.  If you pay for her education and things go south later, she will  work, and will probably be a citizen by then in any event.  Further, if you are worried about this, then you can't afford an FSUW.

Online msmoby

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »

Unless they hoodwink the authorities and cheat the taxpayer by not getting divorced and pretend on paper that they are still a functioning married couple. I am sure nobody here knows anyone who would do such a thing.  :whist11:

OK, so so ARE as daft as BillyB

This is not the first time you've posted this bollox...

1/ There was no hoodwinking - the Home office were informed of the separation t the time AMD change of address and when applying for permanent residency

2/ The tax payers were not cheated - my step-son took out a student loan. On his application form my address was listed in Northumberland - his Ma's in London - status SEPARATED

3/ No pretence was made in any, way shape or form that we were a 'functioning married couple' ... in fact you tried to make hay out of the fact we were extremely dysfunctional  :coffeeread:

4/ V (and my step-son) came to this country using the freedom of movement Directive 2004/38/EC - NOT the UK national route you used

You really should have understood that I'd know it's in's and out's rather better than you

It's really ironic that a guy that delights in not paying his licence fee - boasting about it - would suggest someone doing something quite LEGAL isn't playing by the book ;)

Your post was a bit like posting a picture of one's missus' that's not flattering ....  you're not doing yourself any favours !

Online Confederate

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 12:09:15 PM »

Aha! Be sure the truth will out. Now it all makes sense. Moldy!  :chuckle:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »

1/ There was no hoodwinking - the Home office were informed of the separation t the time AMD change of address and when applying for permanent residency

2/ The tax payers were not cheated - my step-son took out a student loan. On his application form my address was listed in Northumberland - his Ma's in London - status SEPARATED

3/ No pretence was made in any, way shape or form that we were a 'functioning married couple' ... in fact you tried to make hay out of the fact we were extremely dysfunctional  :coffeeread:

4/ V (and my step-son) came to this country using the freedom of movement Directive 2004/38/EC - NOT the UK national route you used

You really should have understood that I'd know it's in's and out's rather better than you

It's really ironic that a guy that delights in not paying his licence fee - boasting about it - would suggest someone doing something quite LEGAL isn't playing by the book ;)

Your post was a bit like posting a picture of one's missus' that's not flattering ....  you're not doing yourself any favours !

Oh, did you think I meant you?  :laugh:
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »

Oh, did you think I meant you?  :laugh:

I liked the suggestion that you’re not paying a BBC bully tax (£150.50) whilst ignoring the fact you pay income tax/corporation tax/capital gains!! It almost suggests you aren't paying your own way??  :chuckle:

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
I completed the Affidavit for Support forms in the past for relative immigration purposes.  The Government does not want any "freeloaders" coming into this country so they drop the responsibility on the petitioner (or others named on the petition).  Have they enforced this on me?  Well, my relatives waited until the time of support on the petition had passed before they applied for social service support.  But had they not, would it have fallen on the petitioner or others named on it?  Probably so because you put your financial ID information on the form as well as evidence of your assets. So they can track down any deadbeats.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Offline dcguyusa

• Spouses Country: North America, South America, Europe, Asia
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 12:20:58 AM »

The clock starts ticking once she stars working.  Once she is credited with 40 quarters of work - ten years if consecutive - then the obligation ceases, however....Plot twist!...per the BCIS website, it also vanishes once the immigrant becomes a US citizen.  That can happen substantially sooner.

B/B

I don't believe that the regulations have changed, but you can apply for citizenship after residing in the country for five years and you have removed the conditional permanent residency status on your visa.
An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 01:32:28 AM »
These responses illustrate how difficult it is to get a relevant answer to a specific question without emotions getting involved on RUA...

(And yes, I'll admit I'm guilty of trolling when the flaming gets ridiculous)

I guessed that one correctly didn't I?!  :coffeeread:

Except that he's not very good at it. The trolling, if it exists at all, seems to be entirely consistent with everything else he shares with us.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
In Canada is  3 years for a spouse and 10 years or age of 18, which ever comes
first, with a minimum of 3 years also. Through divorce your wife would be entitle
to half of your assets also. I suspect there is more if one were to contact a divorce lawyer
to find out. This is what I read at time of doing the paper work.
There is nothing permanent except change.