The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Who Really Put up the Berlin Wall?  (Read 2019 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Who Really Put up the Berlin Wall?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
AvHdB, it is fun to have fantasies about the past, although yours seem a touch on the dismal side. Suffice it to say that you are wrong, the country was full of things to buy and sell. Motivated buyers will soon find sellers of pretty much anything because anything, at the time, was likely to be a better store of value than Reichmarks in the Western Sectors of Germany due to the theft of revaluation and forced exchange in just the Western Sector.

If it helps you to understand this do a mental experiment. Remember when you have seen images of supermarkets in areas where there is expected to be a supply problem. For example in cases of civil war, or natural disaster. What do the shelves look like? They're empty are they not. People will buy anything, even stuff they do not really want and thus would not value. In extremis, when they think money will have no value they will always go and buy whatever they can. We saw this again more recently, when the US started to hit Russia with economic war. The value of the ruble fell against the dollar. Russians went out and bought all sorts of stuff because they thought the ruble was going to become worth less, possibly even worthless. It was a great time for sellers of Belarusian fridges and Polish furniture who were able to clear out their crappy stock that nobody normally wanted.

Try thinking, it isn't difficult. Support the reading with knowledge. Here's a hint: if I wanted to know about various forms of alcohol or paintings I might ask you, I know it is your thing. Ask me about economics, especially the economics of this region and time and, well, yeah, that's kinda my thing. :)

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
Wiz and AvHdBcEfG go smoke a joint together and chill out dudes..... ahhhhh

:laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »
AvHdB, it is fun to have fantasies about the past, although yours seem a touch on the dismal side. Suffice it to say that you are wrong,

Once again, andrewfi makes it up, rather than admitting his is supporting yet another wacko post from Wiz.

AvHdB was allowed to post what I wasn't

The feeling that this is a forum for revisionist history ...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 11:13:52 AM »
AvHdB, it is fun to have fantasies about the past, although yours seem a touch on the dismal side. Suffice it to say that you are wrong, the country was full of things to buy and sell. Motivated buyers will soon find sellers of pretty much anything because anything, at the time, was likely to be a better store of value than Reichmarks in the Western Sectors of Germany due to the theft of revaluation and forced exchange in just the Western Sector.

If it helps you to understand this do a mental experiment. Remember when you have seen images of supermarkets in areas where there is expected to be a supply problem. For example in cases of civil war, or natural disaster. What do the shelves look like? They're empty are they not. People will buy anything, even stuff they do not really want and thus would not value. In extremis, when they think money will have no value they will always go and buy whatever they can. We saw this again more recently, when the US started to hit Russia with economic war. The value of the ruble fell against the dollar. Russians went out and bought all sorts of stuff because they thought the ruble was going to become worth less, possibly even worthless. It was a great time for sellers of Belarusian fridges and Polish furniture who were able to clear out their crappy stock that nobody normally wanted.

Try thinking, it isn't difficult. Support the reading with knowledge. Here's a hint: if I wanted to know about various forms of alcohol or paintings I might ask you, I know it is your thing. Ask me about economics, especially the economics of this region and time and, well, yeah, that's kinda my thing. :)

I believe Andrew is correct at the very least in part, there were enormous profits to be made in the black market shortly after the end of the war. I saw a very official program on YouTube which discussed this very situation at length.

AvHdB I agree with Wiz, your response was full of insults as if you’ve fallen off the bandwagon. Try being diplomatic and your argument will have more merit.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2018, 02:50:14 AM »
Poor Poor Wiz your ego is bruised, I would suggest grow up.

Please note I expanded on your initial post noting some points which are not being disputed. Really what is most likely the core issue is that one dares to note the inconsistencies of a Kremlin centric site such as you noted.

If you stop lying I might consider serving you crumpets with marmalade.    :chuckle:   Presently your hubris only exceeds your ignorance, but not by much.

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 03:36:56 AM »
AvHdB, when discussing an issue look at the facts, not your opinion about the source. For example, in the article that Wiz posted what in the piece was factually wrong?

Answer is nothing, so what remains is the readers analysis. Now, because you don't know much about the topic you are unable to provide a decent analysis. Others who know more can do a better job. And, based upon my knowledge you got the analysis that I wrote.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 04:47:55 AM »
Andrewfi

FACT is the wall went up to keep folk from leaving ..

END of

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic