The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: where is a translator  (Read 352 times)

Offline hagar

where is a translator
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
Hi,
Is their an online translator 'eng to russian' where the russians words are in english so you can pronounce them easier?

I have looked and i cant find 1

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: where is a translator
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »
Try Google Translate - there is a phonetic spelling and the word or text spoken.

Bear in mind the translation is based on algorithms and does not take into account idioms.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:29:07 AM »
Hi,
Is their an online translator 'eng to russian' where the russians words are in english so you can pronounce them easier?

I have looked and i cant find 1

:'(

Look harder.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:07:07 AM »
I think that the OP, whose first language is probably not English is seeking a translator app or service that can work with Transit so that he/she can read words in Russian in Latin script.

There are some but I don't know a good one and that's because Transit is not a standard and people transliterate in all sorts of ways.

I use Google.translate.com but it is not great and will not work consistently. I find that I need to alter the original translit to enable the system to render sensible English. In the other direction it only translates from English to Russian in Cyrillic.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »
Based on his presence elsewhere our hero is from Australia, but that in itself does not make him a confident English speaker.

My guess he is not supper computer & internet savvy plus perhaps a tad lazy.

It can at times be amusing to compare the results of a PROMT translation to that of GOOGLE translation because they are based on different foundations and logic.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
I think that the OP, whose first language is probably not English

Looking who he is, his first language is English IIRC. Well, an Antipodean version at least. Hard to believe I know.......
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online Guile

• Watched
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:15:52 AM »
I was gonna suggest Google translate as well then I checked when the OP was registered. 11 years ago!  :o

if hagar hasn't learned some Russian by now he's in trouble.  From his earlier posts looks like he's a bit of a hothead too. 

I'm guessing he's still looking for a Russian girl a decade later.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:01:02 AM »
I had not noticed that little gem.

I am not one to be able to boast about my performance in Russian but, yeah - that!
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Guile

• Watched
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
The OP hasn't posted here in almost 8 years and the first post back he's asking about translators?  Odd.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
Maybe it is his son?

Online Guile

• Watched
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
how hard is it to learn the words нет and не надо in Russian?  I'm sure he's heard them more than a few times.

Online Confederate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
Based on his presence elsewhere our hero is from Australia, but that in itself does not make him a confident English speaker.

My guess he is not supper computer & internet savvy plus perhaps a tad lazy.

It can at times be amusing to compare the results of a PROMT translation to that of GOOGLE translation because they are based on different foundations and logic.

:Zzzzsleep:

Online Guile

• Watched
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
Why not just spend the time to learn the language?! 

Google translate is not bad but often wrong with grammar and word choice.  It's handy to get the general message across but horrible if you want to actually learn that language.

what exactly does the OP want to translate anyways, pickup lines to try on Russian girls?

Offline Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
Why not just spend the time to learn the language?! 

Google translate is not bad but often wrong with grammar and word choice.  It's handy to get the general message across but horrible if you want to actually learn that language.

what exactly does the OP want to translate anyways, pickup lines to try on Russian girls?
I'm learning Russian now with a professional Tutor (Who is from Moscow originally, but now lives in Netherlands).

I get frustrated at times, because she will only concentrate on verbs, nouns, grammar etc, when I first want to build my vocabulary.

She says: A dictionary can do that, you don't need me.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Guile

• Watched
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

I'm learning Russian now with a professional Tutor (Who is from Moscow originally, but now lives in Netherlands).

I get frustrated at times, because she will only concentrate on verbs, nouns, grammar etc, when I first want to build my vocabulary.

She says: A dictionary can do that, you don't need me.

what's your level of Russian now Markje?  And if you are married to a Russian women what language do you use to communicate?

I basically learned all my Russian online, from youtube and websites.  Never hired a tutor.  I ask my Russian friends if what I'm saying is correct or not.

For vocab just watch speeches by Putin online...you'll pick up tons.