The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: the fiance visa and including her daughter  (Read 3539 times)

Offline xsmilex

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
the fiance visa and including her daughter
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
Good evening all.

Im looking for some advice about including my fiances daughter on her fiance visa.

Ive spent many many hours preparing and reading all the information i could find on applying for the fiancee visa and we have collected together piles of documents to support the application. I thought all bases were covered and every stone upturned until tonight.

my fiancee is bringing her 2 year old daughter with her and we have included her daughter on the application form as a dependant child. After information previously from Ste I've been expecting to pay double everything as it is 2 of them that are coming to the UK. Tonight I've completed the application form, booked the date to visit the TLS contact centre in Kiev and paid the fee on the UK visa and immigration site (which was 1797 euros). I've gone to the TLS contact site and registered there BUT when i started to enter the applicants details on the TLS site my worry has begun. I've entered my fiance's details including her GWF number and it also states on the site "Children on parent's passport should be individually filled in this group" ok. So i entered her daughters details on the site too using the same GWF number but then it says "An application has already been registered with the same GWF number / Application Reference Number.".

Do any of you know if ive made a serious mistake in this process? If her daughter needs some kind of separate visa? or if in fact i don't need to enter her daughters details on the TLS site?  my brain is in overdrive right now thinking I've missed some crucial part of this process. Appendix 2 has been filled out to include the fact that the 2 of them would be coming to the UK. The application form includes the 2 of them but I've not seen any other option to state that the application is for 2 individuals.

Any light that you can throw on this subject would be very gratefully received right now.

Rich
Rich (xsmilex)

Offline xsmilex

Re: the fiance visa and including her daughter
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
I've been doing a lot of digging/research and I have come up with this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-family-members#family-life-as-a-child-of-a-person-with-limited-leave-as-a-partner-or-parent

As my OH will be on a "fiance visa" and this is limited to 6 months with restrictions i take this to mean "limited leave" and meaning these rules would apply to our situation. She does have sole custody of her daughter with court documents to prove such. there are no close relatives that could look after her daughter in ukraine.

The point that is confusing me now is "(b)   the applicant must have made a valid application for entry clearance as a child;"
 I take this to mean that we do need to make a separate application for her daughter but i can't work out which category of visa to apply for. On the UK Visa and Immigration website it gives me these options:

Reason for visit: Settlement (i presume)
 Visa type: Settlement (i presume)
 Visa sub type: Child or other dependant of a settled person? (i dont think so as im not her parent)
                     Family Reunion- other dependant relative? (i dont think so because it seems to be for refugees)
                     Parent, grandparent and other dependant relative? (not sure but looks like my only option)

If anyone has some knowledge or input on this id love to hear it.

Many thanks Rich
Rich (xsmilex)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:16:09 PM »
I am unable to offer any opinions.

There a number of members here who may be able to assist you. And while there is a wide pool of knowledge it is more oriented to the relationship side of these matters. While we would interested to hear of your journey, you might consider looking for a forum specialized in Visa questions such as yours. They are out there.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline xsmilex

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:30 AM »
Thanks for your input anyway AvHdB. I'm digging for info through all avenues and yes have been looking at visa oriented sites too. Information on this situation seems a little thin but we are making progress.
Rich (xsmilex)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:13:00 AM »

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-family-members#family-life-as-a-child-of-a-person-with-limited-leave-as-a-partner-or-parent

As my OH will be on a "fiance visa" and this is limited to 6 months with restrictions i take this to mean "limited leave" and meaning these rules would apply to our situation. She does have sole custody of her daughter with court documents to prove such. there are no close relatives that could look after her daughter in ukraine.

The point that is confusing me now is "(b)   the applicant must have made a valid application for entry clearance as a child;"
 I take this to mean that we do need to make a separate application for her daughter but i can't work out which category of visa to apply for. On the UK Visa and Immigration website it gives me these options:

Visa sub type: Child or other dependant of a settled person? (i dont think so as im not her parent)
                     Family Reunion- other dependant relative? (i dont think so because it seems to be for refugees)
                     Parent, grandparent and other dependant relative? (not sure but looks like my only option)

Many thanks Rich
You would be better off getting married first and then applying for entry clearance for the child. In fact, you would be better off getting married outside the UK and applying for a settlement visa. It’s a lot less hassle.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:58:35 AM »

Many thanks Rich
You would be better off getting married first and then applying for entry clearance for the child. In fact, you would be better off getting married outside the UK and applying for a settlement visa. It’s a lot less hassle.

+1 ....I think that's what I did, but its 11 years ago.
Слава Україні

Offline xsmilex

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Well yes I'll certainly hold my hands up and say we went and picked the wrong path to marital bliss this time. We had our reasons to go down this route and we thought all was prepared. Little did we know until last night the extra complications it brings attempting to bring mother and daughter to get married in the UK on a fiance visa.

I suppose part of the reason we got so deep into this route was because very few attempt it so there is very little information about it and we so we didn't see any warning signs. Again our fault for being too naive maybe.

So im about to go and find out how and if i can get a refund on my OH's application fee and we will learn from our mistakes and take another path. Feel free to cringe, laugh, shake your head or tut. I'll go brush the dust off and try again  :biggrin:

For anyone out there reading this and thinking of trying to bring over your fiance with child either get some professional advice if you know little about it or do some serious homework first because like me your could be  :dh:

Thanks for the input on this topic anyone who replied it is always very much appreciated.

Rich
Rich (xsmilex)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
Well yes I'll certainly hold my hands up and say we went and picked the wrong path to marital bliss this time. We had our reasons to go down this route and we thought all was prepared. Little did we know until last night the extra complications it brings attempting to bring mother and daughter to get married in the UK on a fiance visa.

I suppose part of the reason we got so deep into this route was because very few attempt it so there is very little information about it and we so we didn't see any warning signs. Again our fault for being too naive maybe.

So im about to go and find out how and if i can get a refund on my OH's application fee and we will learn from our mistakes and take another path. Feel free to cringe, laugh, shake your head or tut. I'll go brush the dust off and try again  :biggrin:

For anyone out there reading this and thinking of trying to bring over your fiance with child either get some professional advice if you know little about it or do some serious homework first because like me your could be  :dh:

Thanks for the input on this topic anyone who replied it is always very much appreciated.

Rich
Yes, it's messy the way you chose. I think it's because the fiancé visa isn't designed with children in mind so the visa is like a visit visa with the purpose of getting married and after that you apply for settlement. So in effect it's a short term settlement visa initially.
If there's a child what do you do? You can't apply for a visit visa as those cant be converted to a permanent visa. You can't apply for a dependent visa as yet because technically the child isn't your dependent.
Cut your losses. Get married in Ukraine and then apply for them both.

Registration