The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Things to do in Kharkiv in early winter  (Read 1847 times)

Online SL0413

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Things to do in Kharkiv in early winter
« on: October 02, 2018, 07:07:04 PM »
Hello all,

I will be heading to Kharkiv in mid November and will be staying in the area for about 3-4 weeks.  Any suggestions for things to do or see in Kharkiv or the surrounding area?

Cheers,
sl

Offline Confederate

Re: Things to do in Kharkiv in early winter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
Code: [Select]
Hello all,

I will be heading to Kharkiv in mid November and will be staying in the area for about 3-4 weeks.  Any suggestions for things to do or see in Kharkiv or the surrounding area?

Cheers,
sl

Ice skating at a local rink could be both fun and romantic IMO, head to a cozy bar for a warm drink later.

Cheers and congratulations! 🎉  tiphat
To coexist with communism on the same planet is impossible. Either it will spread, cancer-like, to destroy mankind, or else mankind will have to rid itself of communism (and even then face lengthy treatment for secondary tumors).
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »
Get out of there as soon as possible before you get fleeced...

The winter is long and harsh with no money.. :ROFL:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online SL0413

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
Get out of there as soon as possible before you get fleeced...

The winter is long and harsh with no money.. :ROFL:

Fleeced?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Steve tends to have a rather negative view of all things Ukraine and the United States.

For what it is worth Kharkiv was the capital of Ukraine in the interbellum period, under the Soviet Union. It is in fact the 2nd largest city of Ukraine.

There is a professional member in Kharkiv who can assist you named, I believe Mila. She will check in here from time to time. But you should be able to get her contact details.

A while back I viewed an exhibition in Kiev, a fairly large number of the paintings came from Kharkiv so there must be notable museum there.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online SL0413

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
I am in touch with a Mila right now about apartment rentals there.  I guess I should ask her about things to do/see as well.))

Online SL0413

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Oh, I think I understand what Steve might be referring to. 

I am not going there to look for a girl/wife/one-night-stand/two-minute-stand/etc.  I will be there with my fiance for about 3-4 weeks for   meetings (for her).  She will have free days between meetings, including a 2 week gap between the first and second one.

We decided to hang out there instead of travelling a day back and forth to her hometown. We might even to go Poltava for a week - we have no set plans. 

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:10:28 PM »
Oh, I think I understand what Steve might be referring to. 

I am not going there to look for a girl/wife/one-night-stand/two-minute-stand/etc.  I will be there with my fiance for about 3-4 weeks for   meetings (for her).  She will have free days between meetings, including a 2 week gap between the first and second one.

We decided to hang out there instead of travelling a day back and forth to her hometown. We might even to go Poltava for a week - we have no set plans.

So why do you need the services of some translator to sort an apartment out???

Your fiancee can not do this? Im sure she would not be charging you , unlike a translator..

It would take me exactly 2 hours to arrange an apartment in any city in Ukraine , every thing is possible on the internet now.. even more so if you have a Ukrainian fiancee  ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online SL0413

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »
I am not asking Mila to search for apartments for me.  She owns/manages 5 apartments in Kharkiv; my fiance and I are in the process of selecting which one to rent that fits both our preferences.  I like apts 2 and 5 based on the photos and description, T prefers 3 and 5.  She will check them out in person this week when she drives up there for a meeting on Friday.

We already checked online for apartments on Airbnb and Booking.com.  We've pre-selected a few and will decide which one is best (along with Mila's) for features/location/price.   ;D

Anyway, getting back on track -- anyone have suggestions about things to do in Kharkiv?  Or Poltava.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 08:13:55 PM »
Anyway, getting back on track -- anyone have suggestions about things to do in Kharkiv?  Or Poltava.

Not sure if you are into 2nd World War history but there was an Allied (mostly America) base near Poltava. In the historical museum of Poltava there are fair number of artifacts. In the early 18th century there was a battle between Sweden and Russia also near Poltava. The Russians won decisively.

Offline Confederate

To coexist with communism on the same planet is impossible. Either it will spread, cancer-like, to destroy mankind, or else mankind will have to rid itself of communism (and even then face lengthy treatment for secondary tumors).
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Online AvHdB

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Was digging around about Kharkiv and came across this article. It is a long read.

In any event do not head East or South. While I am confident some might not agree is shows how complex life in the Borderlands is.

http://carnegieeurope.eu/2018/09/12/how-eastern-ukraine-is-adapting-and-surviving-case-of-kharkiv-pub-77216

Offline Confederate

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
A very good article. Thankfully the dirty tricks and sabotage coming from the East did not work although it's an uneasy truce between Kiev and Kharkov due to the corrupt Oligarch still protecting his turf in Kharkov.

Separatist resistance to the new Ukrainian state authorities came in the form of sabotage, explosions, and shootings. The SBU reportedly foiled thirty-five of thirty-nine cases of terrorism, identifying twenty-three criminal groups with more than eighty participants. In February 2015, an improvised explosive device killed four people and injured at least nine people during a march commemorating the Euromaidan victims. Similarly, another explosion injured eleven people in November 2014 at a pub belonging to a volunteer who was helping the Ukrainian Army.

http://carnegieeurope.eu/2018/09/12/how-eastern-ukraine-is-adapting-and-surviving-case-of-kharkiv-pub-77216
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Online SL0413

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Yikes!  T wants to visit a small resort area South of Kharkiv, near Sloviansk.  It’s just across the border in Donetsk Oblask.

She is there today, after spending two days in Kharkiv at a meeting and checking apartments...

Online SL0413

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
Well, plans have...shifted.

T let me know that after the meeting in mid Nov, the next meeting in Kharkiv will not occur until the first week of Dec.

So, we will spend 3 days in Kharkiv, then head to Kyiv to visit her sister and celebrate her nephew's birthday.  In order to make up for the change of plans, she bought us tickets to Europe!....to Bratislava, Slovakia...

So...any suggestions on what to do in Bratislava?  We will spend about 4 days there and then hop on a train to spend a weekend in Vienna.

Oh, and the Dec. meeting in Kharkiv is not definite - it depends on the result of the meeting in Nov.  If all goes well, we will spend 3 weeks in Kharkiv, and then eventually I will help her move to Kharkiv in Jan. 

Fun times!